Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Well, lying with her front facing down on a bed would definitely suffocate Seju's two big babies = ))))))). Notes for people who might need some massage later on = ))))))))

is this still worth reading?

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Good question, since this chapter was a bit boring (I was expecting an assassin would show up!). But I suppose the relationship needs development, and the story at this pace is looking like it will be really long.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

I'm guessing the would-be assassin drama was intended to happen later in the story. Perhaps Team Gaji wish to develop their relationship first, allowing them to be closer than before. Then it would have more of a dramatic effect when Seju somehow learns the truth about Wonnie on her own.

last edited at Jun 16, 2019 7:18PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Ok so 7 chapters in, despite my initial excitement with the potential reveal that Dowon is a bodyguard/assassin, I still think this story is basically a romance without plot. I am sure there is a plot, somewhere, but the way the story is being told is so unsatisfying in comparison to the original series and Paradise.

The storytelling style has been significantly sanitized and dumbed down to please younger audiences, probably because the website where the manhwa is now published has teens as target audience rather than adults like Lezhin. No more dark themes, mixed/juxtaposed feelings on the same scene, ambiguous dialogues etc.

Yes, there is a tiny bit of each of those, but far cry from what it used to be, which is a pity considering Seju as a protagonist has so much potential.

last edited at Jun 22, 2019 9:31AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

^I don’t know if I want some assassin plot. It’s ok to be unwrapping drama without sex scenes on background. And I couldn’t find dark themes in the original, just some really toxic circle. Paradise was mostly sweet either, if you don’t take into account the ending of this relationships.
BTW I still like One.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Toxic relationships and their consequences, plus characters being in the moral gray zone area are what I would consider "dark themes" or even simply "realistic", at least in comparison to the common fluff we see in other stories.

And in my opinion, Paradise was far from sweet, since literally every single scene had a link to things that would happen in the future between them, family abuse and the signs of it in Seju's every behavior, plus the entire situation with Sunhwa where Sumin acted realistically but not necessarily in the best way. All this in only 12 chapters, and for that, in my opinion, it was a freaking masterpiece.

My point is just that these characteristics made WDTFS different from other stories, it was its "competitive advantage". But now it's reduced to offer what is commonly offered by others: "sweet predictable romance". And maybe that's all it needs to get some cash for the authors...sighs. I wish they would simply write more stories like Pet's Aesthetics instead.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 8:11AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Well, maybe I just don’t see a big difference in the parts of the story. Main story is a predictable romance, like from chapter 1. The richness of the events, some characters and good toxic circle are what done this story interesting. Sweetness of Paradise was in their feelings of first love and overcoming problems in their life until some point, which is more pronounced in the flashbacks in main story. With One it’s much more slow burn, without additional problems for now, but still in the vein of original story in my opinion.

I have different understanding of dark themes, lol. But it's ok. And I too wouldn’t mind to see new stories from them in the future.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Maybe what you are interpreting as slow burn I am interpreting as stereotypical and lazy storytelling, even more so given the contrived context of the romance (isolated island, two people only in the hotel etc).

I was actually happy they finally got out of the hotel and a 3rd, even if irrelevant, character showed up. The pub lady was fun lol

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Maybe. Yes, with decision to close up Seju’s arс there are some expected things and turns, but they handled mostly good in my opinion. There is attention to detail and “show, don’t tell” which is good storytelling. Slow burn is about forming relationship without overblown events and feelings. I really like in this regard Fluttering feelings. It makes me sad to this day that their author died so young. To the topic, maybe I read too many really badly written yuri, so I think this is nice story. And maybe I just like Seju, lol. And Wonnie too have my sympathy.

Yes, change of the location is nice. Somewhat summary chapter with red ears, lol.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Wow, I didn't expect much for these side stories but I gotta say I'm liking the current process of ONE, hope the author wont ruin my mood later on.

I like how Seju talked about her past casually with Dowon, her struggles, her insecurities and her own mistakes, which is very nice, especially when I had to read SuminxSungji didnt talk to each other properly for more than 90 chapters and just jumped to love each other madly, like what the hell with this couple, they didnt even share their past and just love each other like crazy, lollllllll

I also like how she told Dowon that she is attracted to her sexually, not emotionally. This means she might have sex with this girl but loving this girl is still a long way to go. Honestly, this particular couple gives a completely different vibe from SuminxSungji, which makes me like the current pace a lot. While it's so weird to see Sumin easily falling in love with Sungji without even an effing appropriate reason, DowonxSeju might go off with a sexual relationship first before they can actually go anywhere further. This development of the couple is suitable for Seju's emotional state, though. Quite nice, actually. I really thought they could let Seju jump right into loving Dowon, just like how they did with Sumin to Sungji.

I still dont like the concept of Seju loving someone else, however, I do like how they're handling SejuxDowon.

BTW, for the first time, the author talks about Seju's hopes in the whole story of WDTFS. The first time Seju said she would always stay by Sumin's side, hope that Sumin would look back at her once and find her still there with her and maybe they would be together again. This honestly is what I want in a dark concept of WDTFS. Second chances for people who love with all their heart and soul despite their shortcomings and insecurities. Honestly, to me, WDTFS would be more memorable if there is a second chance given for Seju from Sumin, after 10 years together of torturing each other, not a cheesy love story between an innocent angelic girl with a girl full of dark past.

Anyway, SuminxSungji is endgame, I'm not going to argue with anyone about who is the better couple, please dont fight me, I honestly am tired of that.

last edited at Jun 26, 2019 9:57PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I still dont like the concept of Seju loving someone else, however, I do like how they're handling SejuxDowon.

I actually like Dowon and I would think the interactions between Seju and Dowon are OK if I had never read WDTFS and I didn't have higher expectations precisely because they have done better.

However, what I can't stand is the unrealistic context and the sense of no storyline: what I see so far is only a sequence of dialogues that by themselves are quite stereotypical...maybe there will be a plot at some point, I don't know, but so far because of the context it just seems forced.

This honestly is what I want in a dark concept of WDTFS. Second chances for people who love with all their heart and soul despite their shortcomings and insecurities. Honestly, to me, WDTFS would be more memorable if there is a second chance given for Seju from Sumin, after 10 years together of torturing each other, not a cheesy love story between an innocent angelic girl with a girl full of dark past.

Yeah, that's what I think too. It would be great because it's so twisted but real and would make WDTFS much deeper, if Sumin and Seju, in the end, couldn't disentangle from each other after all. I guess we can dream, but the world is too PC these days so I won't be waiting for it.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

I think Won ex can be dead and if not, she still have hard time after running away. And I think this is why background characters in recent chapters are so nice to her and not only because she so friendly. Helping Seju can make her more ok and if they want relationships there a long way to go. But dunno, maybe not, lol.

And I think that narratively speaking Sumin and Seju end game never meant to be, there are too much between them in past and present. But I‘ll be happy to see in the future, in one of the announced side stories that they can be friends and that they have warm feelings about each other. It’s like the ultimate end of toxic circle boss, lol.

last edited at Jun 27, 2019 12:50AM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Since Dowon was clearly influenced by Seju's family's "you owe us cuz we helped you that one time so you can live this peaceful life of yours" I think they had something to do with helping her get out of her scandal.

It's also left intentionally unclear, I think, that while she was offered all that money, we don't actually see her accepting it. Right now we're supposed to go "ugh, she's just pretending because she got paid to and that's totally scumbaggish" but I doubt everything is as it seems for now.

Ruby
joined Oct 28, 2018

I like how Seju talked about her past casually with Dowon, her struggles, her insecurities and her own mistakes, which is very nice, especially when I had to read SuminxSungji didnt talk to each other properly for more than 90 chapters and just jumped to love each other madly, like what the hell with this couple, they didnt even share their past and just love each other like crazy, lollllllll

I also like how she told Dowon that she is attracted to her sexually, not emotionally. This means she might have sex with this girl but loving this girl is still a long way to go. Honestly, this particular couple gives a completely different vibe from SuminxSungji, which makes me like the current pace a lot. While it's so weird to see Sumin easily falling in love with Sungji without even an effing appropriate reason, DowonxSeju might go off with a sexual relationship first before they can actually go anywhere further. This development of the couple is suitable for Seju's emotional state, though. Quite nice, actually. I really thought they could let Seju jump right into loving Dowon, just like how they did with Sumin to Sungji.

Well, kudos to the author if she's really planning on Seju and Wonnie becoming casual sex partners first. There is a certain beauty seeing a purely sexual relationship transforming into serious and committed.

But then again, there's a chance nothing will happen in the next chapter. Seju could just be teasing her like she always does or Won may decide to brush her off for whatever reasons or someone shows up to interrupt them. And if this side-story is going to have the same length as Paradise, then it seems kind of doubtful Team Gaji wants to drag things out with this unorthodox approach. A traditional route where a couple formed an emotional connection first before they finally do the deed, does seem more preferable.

As for Sumin and Sungji jumping straightaway to love each other madly like some fairy-tale, love at first sight romance, well lol.... I suppose you could chalk it up to the author being inexperienced as a story writer back then. Probably follow the first thing that comes to her mind without thinking it some more.

think Won ex can be dead and if not, she still have hard time after running away.And I think this is why background characters in recent chapters are so nice to her and not only because she so friendly. Helping Seju can make her more ok and if they want relationships there a long way to go. But dunno, maybe not, lol.

There are several hints that could be the case.

Wonnie was in tears when she went and rescued Seju from the pool, possibly reliving a traumatic event from the past. And while having the sleepover, she did mention how she wishes everyone should look peaceful when they sleep. Maybe she witnessed her ex's dead face that was full of agony instead of looking at peace. Then in this latest chapter when she was sharing her story, she referred her ex in the past tense and refused to answer anymore when Seju pressed her as if the memory is too painful for her to recall.

None of these are conclusive though. I could just be overthinking things, and her ex may well be alive. Hell, she might even show up at one point in the story, potentially causing a love triangle drama O_o

At any rate, I'm pleased with the development so far between Seju and Wonnie. Having them loving each other is still a long way to go, but it's slowly getting there.

Sigh 7 days to go until the next chapter release. I swear this series is too addicting. I must have gone back and read the latest chapter like 5 or 6 times already.

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 9:57AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

As for Sumin and Sungji jumping straightaway to love each other madly like some fairy-tale, love at first sight romance, well lol.... I suppose you could chalk it up to the author being inexperienced as a story writer back then. Probably follow the first thing that comes to her mind without thinking it some more.

I don't think most readers would say the way the relationship of Sumin and Sungji is depicted is akin to fairy-tale, love at first sight romance. Maybe only if people read the story trying extremely hard to fit it into some stereotypical mold, to the point they interpret everything in a way as to fit that mold and ignore everything else.

If you look at it without trying to fit the mold, the SuminxSungji relationship could be described as "emotionally shallow but sexually intense". With a total rebound vibe (for the luls: https://www.self.com/story/14-undeniable-signs-youre-someones-rebound).

And I don't think Team GJ wrote the relationship in this particular way due to lack of experience. When they showed the past scenes of Seju and Sumin they obviously knew how to show emotional closeness/intimacy, and with Paradise and One it has become clear they know very well how to write a more traditional romantic story, with scenes that actually feel romantic rather than overly sexual.

They just didn't want to. Because what they wanted to tell in the original WDTFS was the story of how Sumin and Seju broke up, Seju tried to fix her mistakes but still Sumin used a rebound girl to exit the relationship. As she herself said, out of not having the emotional strength to fix what they once had. No romantic fairy tale story told here, and Sungji was a means to tell that story. She was, essentially, the third-wheeler of a break-up story (so she got the girl).

OTOH, in One it is fairly obvious Team GJ is telling the story of how Seju is legitimately falling in love with Won and healing from her past, rather than Won being a means for her to run away. In my opinion, they are telling the story in a lazy/stereotypical way that could be much better, but the intention is undeniable. Heck, even the way that she told Won about Sumin, calling her "soft-hearted kid" has that distance to it. Her feelings for Sumin have definitely decreased.

In my view, Seju's behaviour is a far cry from Sumin still trying to replay their relationship by living and working at the same place, doing similar stuff with her rebound girl etc like in ch 108. Talk about being massively hung-up down to the subconscious level LOL

My new ending prediction: by the end of the series Sumin has an impulse to go back to Seju, and Seju calmly rejects out of truly loving Won. Then Sumin settles with Sungji for good. Sungji accepts, because she is effing stupid.

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 4:08PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Lazy and simple is not the same thing. For me it’s not so important how original, surprising or complex story is when it’s good. When webtoon have good art and writing. And I hope that One will be longer than Paradise.

eikichi00, yeah, I agree.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

It seems Seju is really finally getting laid after more than 100 chaps of wdtfs = )))))), at least the author doesnt turn her into a nun = ))))))

Guzzyfuzzy349
joined Apr 22, 2018

I started to enjoy Seju's story with Won. I'm hoping to see cute and sweet moments or more development between them before they have sex.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Oh man, Seju is a special woman. Her loyalty cannot be matched.

Although I know it's unlikely, the more this goes on the more I think this will be a better story if she manages to open up her heart and find her way back to Sumin again. They definitely have unfinished business at the very least.

The current period in the story matches the 1st ch of Paradise when Sumin sent her luggage to the hotel but had apparently been looking at the box with their picture. And Seju now looking at the gloves. Looks like it's hard to let go.

shes ripped

Guzzyfuzzy349
joined Apr 22, 2018

I'm not sure if I'm Seju's fan but she is too sexy not to be her fan lol.
After 100 chapters seeing Seju being so pitiful, i just like to see her move on and be happy. I hope no more flashback to her and Sumin.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Hey I just realized Sumin only made her one glove. Not a pair. But on the table it’s a pair?

Went back on the chapters and indeed it only ever shows her holding a single glove and talking about it as “glove” rather than “gloves”. Omg Seju if she actually made the other pair to give to Sumin, she will become the new Lesbian Jesus for me. BOSS.

last edited at Jul 6, 2019 12:48AM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

^Maybe Sumin done a second one after? She had time for that, lol. But, yeah, it's intresting.

So, is it her brother came to play baseball with Seju like in good old times? Damn, I want Seju move to Wonnie that calling her unnie and them be happy already, lol.

Capture_89_1
joined Apr 28, 2016

Oh man, Seju is a special woman. Her loyalty cannot be matched.

This is the reason why I dont approve Seju to love someone else. If the author really writes Seju to be with anyone other than Sumin, Seju would lose what makes her so unique and different from other antagonists

All in all, I really like how authors are handling Seju's emotional state at the moment. So real, so relatable. With this current pace, even when they did make Seju end up with Dowon later on, I wont feel as angry as I was when I read SuminxSungji's 90 chapters

Man, if only they described Sumin like this with Sungji, Sumin moving on too easily with Sungji was really a turn off in the story. 10 years and Sumin just loves Sungji like Sungji is the right one for her and I dont even understand what is so special about Sungji to love, lolllll. There are a bunch of girls like Sungji and you dont need 10 years to find one, lollllll.

Although I know it's unlikely, the more this goes on the more I think this will be a better story if she manages to open up her heart and find her way back to Sumin again. They definitely have unfinished business at the very least.

Nah, the main story has ended 2 years ago and SuminxSungji is endgame.

It would be delusional to think of another ending, lollllll, sorry I dont want to burst your bubbles but thats the truth, loll.

Btw, it seems the dark plot has appeared just like how you wished, some suspicious man with a baseball bat and Seju's mysterious plan about sth, plus seems like Seju is coming back to the mainland to do sth.

last edited at Jul 6, 2019 1:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.