Forum › What Does the Fox Say discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

^ All that Taisukeikun said I fully agree with.

Also:

Seju’s problems were her low self-esteem, insecurity, and obsessiveness. Sumin’s problems were her selfishness, spinelessness, and most importantly, indecisiveness.

As I mentioned, people will prefer one character over the other, or blame one more than the other according to what type of "bad character traits" they can tolerate more. In my case, I would rather have Seju and her low self-esteem, insecurity, and obsessiveness, because that can be dealt with by...well, simply providing her with a secure relationship and accepting that she will be overbearing at times.

But Sumin's selfishness and indecisiveness I can't stand, and also wouldn't know how to handle. It's too extreme. I mean if you piss her off for a moment, she can go revengeful on you. What she did for 10 whole years is not normal. Sungji can tolerate her, because she is actually a very strong person who is selfless and empathetic. Also because she hasn't pissed her off (yet). So in the end, for me at least the end of the story was pretty satisfying, in the sense that Sungji was the hero who saved Seju by taking Sumin out of her life. Who you want is not always who you need.

Whether Sungji and Sumin will last is another story that maybe won't be told. I fear for Sungji though lol

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 6:20PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

Sumin losing her parents was not what eventually broke her though, we clearly see some scenes post-cheating of Sumin trying to move on normally before that guy tortures her and places a curse on her, that's when Sumin has a big mental shift and pretty much becomes mentally unstable for 10 years or so.

While i agree her behaviour was not normal it wasn't born out of something Seju did and not something that she developed on her own either.

Also i only recall Sumin calling Seju once during sex.

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 9:10PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

I agree, it's possible the trauma from the torture made it so that she is unable to see Seju without the associated negative feelings. I would say Seju was traumatized by the event as well. I don't know, in that case maybe there is a chance they get back together once Seju heals. Poly ending yay xD

joined Apr 25, 2018

Oh goodness, Seju not ending up with Sumin has really turned her apologist to demonize Sumin as if Seju is a saint after insulting Sungji. You want Sumin to be a terrible person so bad youre even hoping she treats Sungji worst in the future.

Jfc, Seju/Sumin toxic relationship isn't gonna happen to Sungji/Sumin because the latter complemet each other. They are the puzzle pieces to each other. The nonstop projection of negativity towards Sungji/Sumin's relationship in the future (that gaji aleady assured to be beautiful, healthy and non-toxic) clearly shows how desperate you are because you dont want them to be happy.

Sumin has issues, and so does Seju. But atleast Sumin changed for the better because she finally has Sungji. Seju is gonna be with a person who's going to take care of her and who actually suits her. That person is NOT Sumin whether you like it or not.

@matsuri_wins

Yoonie, it's over lmao. Youre still harping about an impossible ship even after insulting Sumin. Goes to show youre just bitter Seju didnt end up with Sumin lol. Love your pretentious posts tho.

Seju x Dowon is next btw :)

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 10:19PM

joined Feb 18, 2018

For the non-pretentious @sunbaenim:

I said in previous posts I wouldn't want Seju to be with Sumin and that Sungji literally saved Seju from this relationship. Only in the beginning I thought Seju and Sumin were good for each other, when I still hadn't realized what a massive a-hole Sumin is lol I even half-joked that Sungji would be better off with Seju! Team Gaji may say this is a beautiful relationship that Sumin and Sungji have, but doesn't mean I have to feel the same. I love Sungji though, so she is the only reason why I would not want their relationship to implode.

BTW I do agree that there is a potential reason (or excuse) for Sumin's bad personality here, which is her torture trauma made her plain nuts for a decade as commented above. Still, unless it's proven somehow that she became a better person in future stories (not just a sweet person to Sungji), for example by apologizing for the way she treated Seju, I just don't like her. Deal with it.

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 11:07PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

For the non-pretentious @sunbaenim:

I said in previous posts I wouldn't want Seju to be with Sumin and that Sungji literally saved Seju from this relationship. Only in the beginning I thought Seju and Sumin were good for each other, when I still hadn't realized what a massive a-hole Sumin is lol I even half-joked that Sungji would be better off with Seju! Team Gaji may say this is a beautiful relationship that Sumin and Sungji have, but doesn't mean I have to feel the same. I love Sungji though, so she is the only reason why I would not want their relationship to implode.

BTW I do agree that there is a potential reason (or excuse) for Sumin's bad personality here, which is her torture trauma made her plain nuts for a decade as commented above. Still, unless it's proven somehow that she became a better person in future stories (not just a sweet person to Sungji), for example by apologizing for the way she treated Seju, I just don't like her. Deal with it.

So you dont like Sumin but you still want her to end up with Seju because apparently, for you, Seju is a saint. You've repeatedly contradicted yourself yet again lmao.

Youre pretentious concern for Sungji ain't gonna hide your real concern here: you just want Seju/Sumin back together. Period.

ps: yoonie, how mant times are you gonna pretend that youre a new reader btw lol?

ps2: I agree about Sungji/Seju tho. Since Sumin and Seju are the same, Seju matches well with someone like Sungji. Their dynamic is the most interesting to me to be honest. They complement each other very well.

last edited at Apr 7, 2019 11:29PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Please, folks—ratchet back the personal stuff, I beg you. This is well-trod ground. These characters are not human beings who really exist.

The business about what people who post really want, or assertions about why they’re saying what they’re saying never leads anywhere good. Seriously.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Forgive the essay. I know I’m repeating points already made but it’s to complete the character studies.

While it’s true that parents usually die before their children, what we expect is that they die of old age or sickness. Both instances give us time to prepare because we see them deteriorate and even then sometimes it’s not enough for some people.

Sumin’s parents died suddenly but I suppose Sumin should have moved on after a month because a parents death should be expected. And I guess people can think someone who still mourns a tremendous loss after 10 years is absolutely insane and should not still be carrying any pain.

Sumin’s pain is constantly downplayed.

The fact that Sumin was tortured by Seju’s brother doesn’t mean squat. People are so quick to offer Seju the benefit of the doubt because the cheating sex scene wasn’t shown but seeing Sumin with her shirt off at an abandoned warehouse, bra strap obviously slashed, as she lay on the floor in pain covered in blood emits no sympathy.

As I said, if this never happened then Seju and Sumin would have probably been able to reconcile but Sumin became even more damaged because of the torture.

Sumin was trying to start anew, to start her life right after Seju, and how was she rewarded? She’s given a reminder that she will never be rid of. Sure she put a pretty tat over it but she knows what’s under there. Of course she’s filled with rage because she’s tortured for trying to do the right thing. Her rage is misplaced and that’s why I don’t blame people who condemn her for her actions. But I also understand why she’s lashing out.

She transferred her pain and anger toward Seju because she knows she didn’t deserve what happened to her but once she realizes that she’s inflicted enough hurt toward her emotional punching bag, she tries to comfort Seju with sex. Yes it’s unhealthy and it’s a way to assuage her guilt, but the fact that she possesses guilt to begin with means she’s not a horrible sociopath.

Nami isn’t a great friend because she essentially does the same thing Seju does. She’s tired of the games Seju and Sumin are playing with another/wants Seju to move on too so she offers to sleep with Seju. (I think she’s actually been trying to bed Seju for a while though.) Nami has just been talking about Seju taking the most destructive way to reveal the fiancé secret yet here she was wanting to sleep with her friends first love. In order to what? Incite Sumin’s rage and get Sumin to figure out that she still loves Seju? She knows if she succeeds, it’ll hurt Sumin yet she’s still willing to go through with it.

All these people are pushing Sumin for things she’s not ready for and the more they push, the more Sumin regresses. Again, it’s not an excuse for her behavior but an explanation of character motive.

She feels no one understands her so she shuts people out. It’s juvenile and she hurts Seju but it’s not like her actions bring her joy.

And from what I remember of Sumin’s ex’s, they weren’t exactly saints. One girl wanted her to take off her tattoo because she was scared of it, one was like having sex with her and asking her to “do better” which means she’s using sex a tool for manipulation, and of course there was the fiancé one who expected her to remain as her mistress.

And yeah, she showed them her worst qualities but she gave Seju the best years of her life and when she couldn’t be what Seju wanted, Seju betrayed her.

She developed this defense mechanism. She doesn’t purposely try to hurt these girls like she does with Seju. She just can’t give them what they want, when they want it, and the relationships sour because of this.

Also, I feel like she’s unknowingly testing them. She’s treating them like she treated Seju during the time she was grieving (apart from the blame placement). It’s almost like she’s giving them her worst to see if they can succeed where Seju failed and withstand her crappy attitude.

Sungji was the first person to not expect anything from Sumin. She didn’t make demands or offer ultimatums. After they cut their getaway short, Sungji doesn’t demand an explanation. All she asked was that Sumin respond to her messages so she knows Sumin is okay.

Sungji was the only person who gave Sumin what she needed, understanding and time, while everyone else around Sumin was busy insisting on what they wanted.

Seju may have been a victim in the beginning but as Nami herself stated, Seju hurt Sumin during those 10 years as well.

Also why does Seju allow herself to be trapped in this pain cycle with Sumin? Because she believes it’s the only way they can be together. So in the end she endures the pain because she wants to be with Sumin.

I can picture myself as the manipulative and selfish Seju who suffered from so much emotional abuse, neglect, abandonment, rejection that she tries so hard to hold onto the slightest sliver of love that she can get her hands on.

But I can also picture myself as Seju, hateful and vengeful bitch who became that way because she had to adjust her life after she continuously suffered through pain.

In less than one year? (More or less I can’t remember) Her parents die, her girlfriend betrays her, and she gets mutilated.

Spiraling down in a rage infested haze, wanting to hurt the person who hurt you most, and putting up a wall for nine years after all those things happen is utterly believable for me but I’m a minority in the fandom.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 1:30AM

joined Mar 12, 2019

Bottom line:

-Seju is a witch with a sappy background

-Sumin is a philandering dumbass who’s not sure what she wants and gets used and stepped on because she’s a dumbass

-Sungji is a mystery. I still haven’t figured out her character because she’s so stale. She just goes around preaching or helping people but she’s like not her own person and sometimes comes off as a creep. No lie, when I first read this series I thought she was gonna be evil and that there would be a twist where Sumin and Seju were gonna end up together lmao.

joined Apr 25, 2018

Seju fan(s) are really out here insulting Sumin and Sungji as if Seju did nothing wrong lmao.

SejuMin ain't gonna happen ever again, pal. No matter how many accounts you have to push your agenda, it's never happening lmao. Move on :)

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 4:53AM

joined May 6, 2018

As for me, I never said everything Seju did was right, she paid ENOUGH for them all, she fought, she lost then she left so it should be over. At least at the current time specifically after Paradise I can see Seju has most fans because people now understand her baggage more yet if it's about end-game couple, we go for Sungji and Sumin more since Sejumin is extremely toxic.

I don't know which accounts/users you're talking about but as a Seju's fan, I never wish Sejumin happens, rather I hope they could stop this toxic cycle and move on as soon as possible from the very first chapters. Sungji can help Sumin become a better person and gain back her social circles by introducing Sumin to her friends, family,... something Seju could never give. I also believe there would be someone out there that could rebuild Seju's lifestyle, let her live her own dreams, remove negative mindset for Seju too. Of course it could never be Sumin. Therefore this is a happy ending to me.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 8:09AM

joined Feb 18, 2018

Youre pretentious concern for Sungji ain't gonna hide your real concern here: you just want Seju/Sumin back together. Period.

ps: yoonie, how mant times are you gonna pretend that youre a new reader btw lol?

The paranoia is strong on this one. Who is yoonie?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Oh god, don't ask . . .

A complete re-read of this topic will uncover some amazingly well-thought-out and supported arguments for a variety of positions as well as an epic series of toxic dumpster fires, sometimes from the same people.

This was the forum that convinced me that "shipping," although at its best it can be a fun kind of parlor game, has far more downsides than up . . .

joined Feb 18, 2018

I don't know which accounts/users you're talking about but as a Seju's fan, I never wish Sejumin happens, rather I hope they could stop this toxic cycle and move on as soon as possible from the very first chapters. Sungji can help Sumin become a better person and gain back her social circles by introducing Sumin to her friends, family,... something Seju could never give. I also believe there would be someone out there that could rebuild Seju's lifestyle, let her live her own dreams, remove negative mindset for Seju too. Of course it could never be Sumin. Therefore this is a happy ending to me.

Same. In my case, I just can't stand real or fictional people that react to things like Sumin did, even if I understand the reasons they did it. But I can see how Sungji would help her get back on her feet. Basically, Sungji is ideal for either Sumin or Seju since she is like this bottomless well of kindness and empathy. On the other hand, it's probably bad to be wishing this kind girl to be with these fucked up people so I don't know lol

I must say though, there is possibility for twists in this story if the authors wish to go there at some point. Because:

1. Sumin is still working at Seju's company. I was very surprised that Sumin would go back to be honest, and for me it was a weak plot point, because I wanted to see her gain total freedom from Seju if that's the route the story is going. If she is going to move on from Seju, then make her cut all ties.

2. For me, one of the best moments in the series was when Seju's brother revealed to Sumin that he tortured her and left her with the mark not so as to take revenge on Sumin, but rather because Seju's siblings wanted Sumin to also hate Seju, and take revenge on her. I think this point cannot be underestimated, but in the middle of showing lovey-dovey Sungji/Sumin it wasn't explored, which was bad writing in my opinion. The bro also says he gave Sumin a "curse", but the curse is never explained. What was it?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

but in the middle of showing ________ wasn't explored, which was bad writing in my opinion.

I think that ultimately this series was pretty much a mess because there were so many things that could fill in those blanks--elements that were worth (or absolutely demanded) exploring but weren't, while other elements got developed disproportionately.

And the writing was bad because the writing was often so good--by which I mean the construction of scenes was generally pretty compelling, and the dialogue of the interactions among the characters often crackled with energy, and generally even when the story was tawdry and cheesy it made you want to keep reading.

BUT the overall architecture of the plot, the amount of time spent on the important aspects of the story as a whole, was entirely out of whack.

Basically, if the story is about Sungji helping Sumin to overcome past trauma so they could be together, Seju's role is vastly over-emphasized while Sungji's is equally underdeveloped.

If the story is about the deep, passionate bond between Seju and Sumin, the Sungji/Sumin resolution is an unearned, tacked-on happy ending for the sake of a happy ending.

I've said before that Seju here is like Satan in Paradise Lost--the coolest, most fascinating badass in a story that's supposed to be about something else entirely.

joined Apr 25, 2018

As for me, I never said everything Seju did was right, she paid ENOUGH for them all, she fought, she lost then she left so it should be over. At least at the current time specifically after Paradise I can see Seju has most fans because people now understand her baggage more yet if it's about end-game couple, we go for Sungji and Sumin more since Sejumin is extremely toxic.

Lol Seju doesn't have the most fans. Sungji and Sumin do. Seju fans are literally just the vocal minority lol.

I like Seju too but like you, her relationship with Sumin was filled with toxicity. Gaji emphasized how wrong they were for one another. I'm glad you're a Seju fan who isn't blinded by the ship and actually cares for her sanity and well-being instead of being mad about SejuMin not happening.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 11:33AM

joined Apr 25, 2018

You :)

Basically, if the story is about Sungji helping Sumin to overcome past trauma so they could be together, Seju's role is vastly over-emphasized while Sungji's is equally underdeveloped.

Or you know maybe because Sungji isn't a broken, and a depressed character and she doesn't need to be shown suffering so much. Y'all are mistaking her positive character for being underdeveloped just because edgy readers want sad/depressed people.

If the story is about the deep, passionate bond between Seju and Sumin, the Sungji/Sumin resolution is an unearned, tacked-on happy ending for the sake of a happy ending.

Oh please, Sungji/Sumin was well earned after all the self-destruction Sumin and Seju been doing to themselves and to each other. She's the counter to all the depressing stuff around these characters.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 11:59AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Or you know maybe because Sungji isn't a broken, and a depressed character and she doesn't need to be shown suffering so much. Y'all are mistaking her positive character for being underdeveloped just because edgy readers want sad/depressed people.

This is exactly the thing I asked you to stop doing. I’m not an “edgy” reader and I absolutely positively do not want to see Sungji being a sad, depressed person.

What I would have liked to have seen in the story was more specific background on how exactly Sungji became the person she is (you know, like we got tons and tons of for Sumin and Seju), and more insight into what she was thinking throughout the story. I’ve said multiple times that she’s my favorite character and that I don’t want to her to be different—I just would have liked to have seen more of her and more of what makes her tick.

And from what I know of the person from interactions on multiple forum threads, there’s no evidence that matsuri_wins is the same poster you mention from this forum.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 11:58AM

joined May 6, 2018

Lol Seju doesn't have the most fans. Sungji and Sumin do. Seju fans are literally just the vocal minority lol.

If you're willing to spend time doing some research on a considerable number of forums, including aminoapps, facebook group, twitter, instagram, dcinside, weibo from the final chapter of WDTFS main story to the latest chapter, which may approximately last 1,5 years. Seju sometimes couldn't win over Sungji when WDTFS had just ended but currently Seju was mentioned most in every discussion (just saying) I will take this point out because her background is controversial. The mainpoint is, Seju wins in every consecutive polls regardless of choosing favorite photo or favorite character. Even if she was not dragged into a survey, it's still her who brings back most attention from readers. One time I went to Team Gaji's ask.fm and noticed that they did answer the character fandom (as of 2016) would be in this order: Sumin > Seju > Sungji. But as I explained, Paradise changes a lot. From what I see, it is Seju > Sumin >=~ Sungji now. Nevertheless, it couldn't change the fact that Sungji and Sumin is still a more loveable & perfect pair than Sejumin lmao

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 12:13PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

This is exactly the thing I asked you to stop doing. I’m not an “edgy” reader and I absolutely positively do not want to see Sungji being a sad, depressed person.

What I would have liked to have seen in the story was more specific background on how exactly Sungji became the person she is (you know, like we got tons and tons of for Sumin and Seju), and more insight into what she was thinking throughout the story. I’ve said multiple times that she’s my favorite character and that I don’t want to her to be different—I just would have liked to have seen more of her and more of what makes her tick.

Sungji is a what you see is what you get type of person. She doesn't need a tragic/sad backstory behind her and that's what makes her character. She says what's on her mind and she means it.

And from what I know of the person from interactions on multiple forum threads, there’s no evidence that matsuri_wins is the same poster you mention from this forum.

matsuri_wins legit has the same arguments as yoonie, dd, ee although they're just trying to make a little subtle by making such fake concern about Sungji and the eventual blame on Sumin. I got to argue with yoonie (and their alt accounts which they admitted to be theirs) and ,matsuri sounds alot like them.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 12:08PM

joined Apr 25, 2018

If you're willing to spend time doing some research on a considerable number of forums, including aminoapps, facebook group, twitter, instagram, dcinside, weibo from the final chapter of WDTFS main story to the latest chapter, which may approximately last 1,5 years. Seju sometimes couldn't win over Sungji when WDTFS had just ended but currently Seju was mentioned most in every discussion (just saying) I will take this point out because her background is controversial.

She's getting mentioned the most because Paradise just literally finished getting published. That doesn't mean she's the most popular lol.

The mainpoint is, Seju wins in every consecutive polls regardless of choosing favorite photo or favorite character. Even if she was not dragged into a survey, it's still her who brings back most attention from readers

Besides, most readers of WDTFS who are Sungji/Sumin fans aren't gonna read a Seju-centered story you know, and that leaves for the Seju's vocal minority of fans to discuss about her.

One time I went to Team Gaji's ask.fm and noticed that they did answer the character fandom (as of 2016) would be in this order: Sumin > Seju > Sungji.

Show me the evidence or you're literally lying.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 12:16PM

joined Mar 8, 2019

Just finished reading Paradise. Don’t have the chance to re-read the entire manga but another thing that’s being overlooked is Seju’s possessiveness and jealousy.

I get that in high school Sumin and Seju were just beginning and inexperienced. Seju’s showering Sumin with material things and Sumin’s accepting them at the start until Sunhwa opens Sumin’s eyes to how wrong it is. I also get that Sumin and Seju were in that phase where they want alone time. But the thing is, Seju doesn’t grow out of it.

Every time Sumin is out doing something without Seju that’s not academically related Seju asks Sumin to come with her. Seju limits Sumin’s interactions with classmates because she’s possessive and easily gets jealous. At one point she even drags Sumin out of an event. Yes, Sumin wasn’t even really supposed to be there in the first place but the reason she drags Sumin out is out of pure jealousy. (And perhaps she was also turned on by the bunny costume.)

And I get that she’s scared that her time with Sumin can be cut short but this behavior conditions Sumin to be reliant on her company.

In Paradise, outside of Seju, Sumin only really has her parents.

Yes she asked Seju to stay with her because she wants to continue being with her. But it’s not like she turns away from the responsibilities that this would entail. Seju stays for her and in turn, Sumin stays with Seju. Sumin never asks Seju to do anything untoward. They talk about their future, share their dreams, and she doesn’t demand anything of Seju. Sumin doesn’t say what steps Seju should take to be successful, only telling her that they’ll be together forever.

She asks Seju to wait until she’s ready to have sex. It’s her first time so that’s normal. Seju was talking to her about sex stuff in a public setting so it’s normal that Sumin would want to hold off. And after Seju dragged Sumin out of that event, she ties Sumin up and has sex with her, despite Sumin’s embarrassment because of her costume.

Sumin even misses class because Seju wants to stay in bed and cuddle so it’s clear that there’s give and take in their relationship.

Also, when Seju’s sister slaps her, Sumin comes to her rescue.

Sumin clearly spent the first seven years with Seju in an already unhealthy relationship because Seju made her entire world revolve around Sumin, understandably so since Sumin was the one good thing in her horrible abuse filled life, and Sumin went along with it because she was so deeply in love and maybe she’s even affected with how Seju’s family treats Seju and the fact that Seju’s sheltered and doesn’t have other friends.

That said if things never unfolded the way they did, (family death, cheating, mutilation) things would have still worked out for Seju and Sumin, despite Seju’s clinginess, because Sumin was just happy to be with Seju.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 12:59PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sungji is a what you see is what you get type of person. She doesn't need a tragic/sad backstory behind her and that's what makes her character. She says what's on her mind and she means it.

This is completely non-responsive to what I wrote. A “tragic/sad backstory” has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what I said—nothing. If Sungji has had a perfectly happy backstory that has enabled her to become the person she is, that’s worth knowing. If she has had an unremarkable backstory, that’s something to be known that we are not given.

Sungji is supposedly one of the main characters in the story—when I started reading the series I thought it was going to be entirely about her—and yet we know far less about her than other (supposedly) less central characters.

And this nonsense about the other poster’s identity is between you two, but of course two entirely different people can think (and therefore argue) much the same things about a story independently of one another.

BeehivesandCherries
joined Mar 27, 2019

Why hasn’t sunbaenim been banned yet? Where is drpepper when you need him

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

@matsuri_wins I don't know how far you are into this i.e. if you have read the whole thing along with Paradise and the schedule of the planned side stories, as many posters have said above, Seju is going to have a new love interest in One. And many people here can't accept it, Sumin is OVER Seju and vice-versa. The last chapter of Paradise makes it crystal clear. And even if she isn't, I hope they never get back together, it'll be unhealthy af. Seju is my favourite character and I want her to be happy, away from Sumin and all of their 10 years drama. I don't know if you were joking, but a poly ending is the last thing that would happen in this series.

Not directed at you, but if anyone here still a Sejumin shipper, you gotta move on with your life sister, no offense.

As for the "Sumin still works at Seju's company" theory, if I remember correctly, Seju resigned in the last chapter of Paradise, so she has no contact with Sumin anymore.

To reply you must either login or sign up.