Forum › Jewel of You discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I went on a Date with Date and we ate Dates

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

^I think that's unfair. Romantic love is always, at least a little, selfish and possessive. While I agree their close frienship is doomed, I can't fault the black haired girl for doing something childish. People do stupid and desperate things when they feel like they losing something precious. Maybe the light haired girl understood that, and forgave her. And heck black haired girl could have done way worse. I've seen more than one story where the gay girl slept with the guy to destroy her friend's relationship. Compared to that stealing an earring is nothing.

I dont think someone's romantic interests are a excuse for mistreating those that they are supposed to care for. Just because she could have been more damaging and hurtful isnt excuse for bad behavior, it's the breeding ground of a toxic relationship. She did something hurtful on purpose, and that should have been addressed.

Its not that her acting out is unrealistic, but it's not excusable. The blonde girl had the right to be upset and while that doesn't mean she should have lashed out in return that also doesn't mean that she should allow herself to be treated poorly.

I still think you are being unfair to Arisa. Yes not giving back the earring was childish and hurtful, given what those earrings ment to Fuwako, but I feel It's far from unforgivable. Remember Fuwako discarding the earrings she shared with Arisa was just as hurtful. Just because Fuwako didn't realise she was hurting her friend, doesn't make it hurt less. Once Fuwako realised Arisa's feelings, she understood that. I don't see this as warning that Arise is an Abusive person. She just childish lashed out when she was hurt. Sad but understandable. Again it could have been worse Arisa could have set out to destroy Fuwako and Date's relatioship. That would have been unforgivable.

Edit: remember Arisa didn't steal the earring, she just didn't return it after Fuwako lost it. That means Arisa didn't set out to hurt Fuwako. Also Arisa dropped hints to Fuwako how much the matching earrings ment to her.

last edited at Mar 20, 2019 4:37PM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

You're right, it is Fuwako wiping away Arisa's tears there and not Arisa wiping away her own tears, because the hand that Arisa would have been using is holding a sandwich. (She'd be smashing it into her cheek.) That is pretty symbolic if nothing else. Fuwako wants to make Arisa happy and remove her tears. She's making promises for the future about home cooked meals, which is kind of wife like behavior. Not to mention that AFTER Arisa confessed her love and kissed her, Fuwako came back, apologized for being oblivious, and told her that she wants to be with her forever. In a sense, Arisa saying she prefers home-made better comes across as her low-key asking her to move in or something...

Y'see, that's how I saw it, and why I was posting about a happy end. That ending felt unambiguously gay to me.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Locks and keys are a pretty prominent theme in this story. The jewelry box is the really obvious symbolism, I mean it says it on the front page, but when you step back and look at the notion of a lock and key as a whole, it does do a good deal of shedding light on how she's going to treat her feelings moving forward -- namely not hiding them. That means she's going to be open with Fuwako about how she feels about her. But Fuwako isn't just an unwilling participant. Arisa puts up a wall between them, and Fuwako just goes and breaks it down in an instant. "You gave me the key". She's clearly accepted Arisa's feelings on some level.

As for whether or not they get together, I do err on the side that they do simply because I like that notion better. Open endings are open for a reason, after all.

Images
joined Sep 30, 2014

To me this ending seems like the worst possible ending. Triggering some weird memories, leaving a bad taste.
For me, this ending doesn't give any hope for 'yuri wins' solution. But you know who is left with that hope? The mc, Arisa. For me it's rather clear that Fuwako came back to fight for friendship, but only for a friendship. But actually it's rather egoistic act. Arisa will continue to suffer and won't be able to let those feelings go, how the heck is she going to move on. Fuwako on the other hand will be in pretty neat position. She can keep her friendship (by hurting the other side) and a relationship. As hard as it may be, the best what Fuwako could have done, was backing off, really...

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'm sure the author intended this ending to be a happy one, but it's extremely underwhelming. Not saying Arisa is irredeemable,but this doesn't cut it after what she did. It almost comes across like she's rewarded for a shitty thing. It's a gay ending but there is no real catharsis to it.

If I compare this to Usui Shio's other two works that have been uploaded here, the leads have a lot more well balanced dynamic in those, and they all feel alive. In this one though, Fuwako doesn't get a fair shake, compared to Arisa. Somehow the whole story seems to be tipped in Arisa's favor; we only hear her side of the story, and so the sudden ending where she's let off the hook leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling.

Can't someone just forgive a person they care about?

What she did was mean-spirited and petty. Lots of people probably wouldn't forgive a friend for doing something like that, but others would. Whether at the end she loves her or not (I think the symbolism indicates that she does), it's clear throughout that Fuwako is a bright person who sees the best in people, and also that she values her relationship with Arisa.

Honestly, the way she's presented (constantly blaming herself, worrying that other people will hate her) she'd probably forgive a lot worse. I guess that's a little troubling. But then again, the way she actually immediately confronted Arisa instead of avoiding her shows some character growth on Fuwako's end as well.

joined Sep 1, 2017

I don't get it. Why all the Arisa hate? She just didn't return an earring, Fuwako lost. Yeah it was childish, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. What Fuwako did to Arisa, while unintentional, most certainly hurt Arisa far worse. After Arisa kissed her, Fuwako, probably took some time to think about it, and realised what she had been doing to her best friend and forgave Arisa for her childishness. It's like you feel Arisa's feelings don't matter at all.

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Can y'all not see that they're just staying as friends? Jeez, take off the yuri tinted glasses for 2 seconds, c'mon y'all.

On a separate note, the long haired girl surprised me with how much she actually loved and cared for her friend in the end. Even when the black haired girl kissed her and told her never to come back, the long haired girl treasured their friendship so much to the point where she just came back.

Rip black haired girl's feelings
Mvp brown haired girl's friendship
Honourable mention: Date-kun for existing in like 1 panel lmao

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

To me this ending seems like the worst possible ending. Triggering some weird memories, leaving a bad taste.
For me, this ending doesn't give any hope for 'yuri wins' solution. But you know who is left with that hope? The mc, Arisa. For me it's rather clear that Fuwako came back to fight for friendship, but only for a friendship. But actually it's rather egoistic act. Arisa will continue to suffer and won't be able to let those feelings go, how the heck is she going to move on. Fuwako on the other hand will be in pretty neat position. She can keep her friendship (by hurting the other side) and a relationship. As hard as it may be, the best what Fuwako could have done, was backing off, really...

Bro... people can move on from loves and with the actual rejection from the person she likes, the black haired girl could finally move on but still have the friendship that both her and the long haired girl treasured. People can get over things and grow

joined Sep 1, 2017

Bro... people can move on from loves and with the actual rejection from the person she likes, the black haired girl could finally move on but still have the friendship that both her and the long haired girl treasured. People can get over things and grow

Maybe someday, the pair can continue their friendship but, right now Arise should take a step back and do some me work. She needs time to get over Fuwako. Letting Fuwako stay that close will just confuse her, and give her false hope. A friendship with one-sided love is doomed.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 1:04AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

Can y'all not see that they're just staying as friends? Jeez, take off the yuri tinted glasses for 2 seconds, c'mon y'all.

On a separate note, the long haired girl surprised me with how much she actually loved and cared for her friend in the end. Even when the black haired girl kissed her and told her never to come back, the long haired girl treasured their friendship so much to the point where she just came back.

Rip black haired girl's feelings
Mvp brown haired girl's friendship
Honourable mention: Date-kun for existing in like 1 panel lmao

I agree with you, but there is enough ambiguity in the ending, for us yuri fans to see a Fuwako, Arisa hook-up. So don't go harshing our yuri mellow.

P.S. Date'kun can leave our yuri girls alone! After I'm Getting Married we needed a yuri win.

P.S.S. yuri, I just wanted to write yuri one more time.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 1:07AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I just lost it at "the passion of friendship" hahaha

I liked this, kinda realistic. Nice that the two could stay as friends afterwards, though can guarantee that'll be awkward. Arisa needed to move on, like 5 years ago hahahaha

Date-kun, what a name

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

The mental gymnastics people here will do to convince themselves something is not yuri. Amazing. This was clearly a yuri end. Fuwako had been blushy over Arisa all the way through, and at the end she makes her choice. Everything about the final scene is arranged to make that as clear as it needs to be, and if you think otherwise you have trust issues from reading too many actual Bad End stories.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 3:26PM

joined Mar 7, 2012

Everything about the final scene is arranged to make that as clear as it needs to be

Agreed. This board is full of people who never learned how to read between the lines, and forget that narrative can exist outside of dialogue.

Then they make up reasons to justify their opinion, like "The characters are not fleshed out enough", or "The author's other works [with more explicitly happy ends] were better written".

Manga is a visual medium, people. Things are not always explicitly spelled out for you because you are expected to put some modicum of thought into your consumption.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 1:25PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

The mental gymnastics people here will do to convince themselves something is not yuri. Amazing. This was clearly a yuri end. Fuwako had been blushy over Arisa all the way through, and at the end she makes her choice. Everything about the final scene is arranged to make that as clear as it needs to be, and if you think otherwise you have trust issues from reading too many actual Bad End stories.

I like to believe this is a yuri win. God knows my yuri goggles have thick lenses. However, I keep going back to Fuwako's line "I'm sorry for being inconsiderate this whole time." That says to me, I'm sorry for letting my boyfriend intrude on our friendship, not I love you. Let's be a couple.

(Cryssoberyl's Note: This post was edited in error, I meant to quote. It has been properly restored to what was first written.)

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 3:37PM by Cryssoberyl

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

pg 15 and 20 had some errors, it was fixed https://yuri-project.net/jewel-of-you/

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

I like to believe this is a yuri win. God knows my yuri goggles have thick lenses. However, I keep going back to Fuwako's line "I'm sorry for being inconsiderate this whole time." That says to me, I'm sorry for letting my boyfriend intrude on our friendship, not I love you. Let's be a couple.

It says to me, "I'm sorry for never realizing/recognizing your feelings and that you had to suffer in silence until now." She then continues, now in full knowledge and understanding of those feelings, "I want to be with you forever." The final lines about a new jewelry box "without a key" are a callback to the very first lines on the first page, showing how the situation has changed, and that she was wrong that her feelings would never reach. They did, and were accepted.

As I said, Fuwako shows signs of clear attraction to Arisa throughout the story, and at the end, there is no "sorry, I can't return your feelings" etc., no equivocations about the choice she's clearly making to be with Arisa from now on. I really can't understand how it could reasonably be seen otherwise.

joined Dec 28, 2016

I am happy but it felt kinda "off"

Same

joined Dec 28, 2016

I am happy but it felt kinda "off"

Same

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I think that when you agree to make breakfast for someone you know has romantic feelings for you, you're basically confessing yourself. Breakfast is that kind of meal.

joined Sep 1, 2017

It says to me, "I'm sorry for never realizing/recognizing your feelings and that you had to suffer in silence until now." She then continues, now in full knowledge and understanding of those feelings, "I want to be with you forever." The final lines about a new jewelry box "without a key" are a callback to the very first lines on the first page, showing how the situation has changed, and that she was wrong that her feelings would never reach. They did, and were accepted.

As I said, Fuwako shows signs of clear attraction to Arisa throughout the story, and at the end, there is no "sorry, I can't return your feelings" etc., no equivocations about the choice she's clearly making to be with Arisa from now on. I really can't understand how it could reasonably be seen otherwise.

Maybe, but Fuwako never said I love you, or kissed Arisa, or did anything to show her feelings for Arisa were anything other than platonic. I think Fuwako wanted to stay best friends with Arisa. And was promising not let her relationship with Date-kun get in their way.
Arisa's metaphor about the jewelry box, and the key could simply be her way of saying locking away her feelings brought nothing but pain, from now on she'll be more open with them.
Look I want to believe in a yuri ending, but no final romantic show, plus that inconsiderate line leads me to say probably not this time.

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 11:34PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

I think that when you agree to make breakfast for someone you know has romantic feelings for you, you're basically confessing yourself. Breakfast is that kind of meal.

Only after a romantic night together, if you get my meaning.

Rsz_3inshot_20230212_001112125
joined Jun 20, 2013

That's kinda sad. I mean, I understand. It's hard to said someone you love. And then do so a kind thing, because of jealousy.

Forgiveness and friendship, then love. Is hard to mixing in. Wonder how they can keep that up.

joined Mar 12, 2019

I don’t really like this author. Her stories are a fucking mess, and her characters are either very stereotyped, or flat out unlikable. I don’t even get how she has been earning recognitions.

So to spare you the time, here is my summary:

Black haired butch is in love with the cutesy moron who wants to get laid with this dude. She gets matching earrings to show her devotion (barf). However, The cutesy girl is now in a relationship with the aforementioned dude.

One day she drops her [fugly] earring that the dude got her (he has bad tastes in earrings), and black haired chick hides the earrings because she is a selfish lying greedy bitch who wants the cutesy girl all to herself.

One day when the cutesy girl accidentally breaks the black haired chick’s jewelry box, she sees her missing earring. Black haired chick confesses she hid the earring away, but the cutesy girl doesn’t even get mad or anything. If anything, I am confused as to why they are still friends.

I wouldn’t wanna stay friends with a lying creep. And in general, screw manhwas and mangas romanticizing non-consensual grabbing and kissing...

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

Really liked the art--- it was really pretty.

Would've liked to see more of Fuwako's side, like even maybe a thought bubble... she kinda flipped from Date to the MC in like the span of an hour (or a panel really). Pleasant and refreshing after that horrendous "I'm Getting Married" one but gave me a bit of surprised whiplash.

also, obligatory "gal pals" comment

To reply you must either login or sign up.