Forum › Yuri That Starts From Intimidation discussion

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Yuri is canceled

Terumoko
joined Feb 18, 2013

One of the lessons that my second African American Literature teacher drilled into our heads was the importance of reading things that make us uncomfortable. If we shield ourselves from everything that causes us the slightest amount of negative emotions, then we won't know how to deal with those emotions in any real-world circumstance. You can't make your bad feelings go away by avoiding them, because they'll just grow and grow, and when they do come out, it'll be much worse.

Sure, I don't have a problem with the :concerning: content an sich. (I mean I quite liked White Angels as a study of some terribly fucked up people, too.) But it bugs me how some posters seem hellbent on pretending it doesn't exist. :/

And it certainly doesn't mean that we can't point out that yeah, these parts of the story are fucked up. Reading something that makes you uncomfortable doesn't have any point if you don't think about and, if you wish, discuss the parts of it that are uncomfortable.

Plus, doing so is a deliberate act. You make the choice to read something that's uncomfortable and can brace yourself beforehand (which is kind of the point behind content warnings). Stumbling across it while reading a comedy of all things is a different sort of thing, don't you agree?

Wait isn't it your job to shut down people who read something like this and REALLY want to discuss the parts with which they feel discomfort? Like stand the fuck back, Imma talk about this shit with goddamn passion!

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

One of the lessons that my second African American Literature teacher drilled into our heads was the importance of reading things that make us uncomfortable. If we shield ourselves from everything that causes us the slightest amount of negative emotions, then we won't know how to deal with those emotions in any real-world circumstance. You can't make your bad feelings go away by avoiding them, because they'll just grow and grow, and when they do come out, it'll be much worse.

Oh Spencer, you definitely don't have PTSD. It's completely different when the bad stuff has ALREADY happened to you.

The more I think (or I'm reminded) of what happened, the more I begin to have panic attacks, incapacitating anxiety and suicidal thoughts. It's NOT healthy for violence survivors to be exposed to their triggers all the time.

__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Wait isn't it your job to shut down people who read something like this and REALLY want to discuss the parts with which they feel discomfort? Like stand the fuck back, Imma talk about this shit with goddamn passion!

I suggest you sit the fuck down yourself.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

cecile posted:

I know a really cute one

I discovered that a few weeks ago. It's unfortunate (but completely understandable) it updates so slowly though. It's been going a couple years or so and it took me like an hour, maybe two, to catch up on it from the beginning.

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Speaking of, the argument could be made that the whole toilet scene is worth Foiled rape attempt - that it was foiled by the perp suffering a sudden attack of conscience and bailing, rather than outside intervention, doesn't really change the essentials of the scenario right...?

I second this. Those kind of tags are a good way to prepare the person reading that it won't be just lighthearted flirting without really spoiling the story

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not that I disagree or anything, but tag changes need to go through the Suggest Tags page. Make sure you do that step as well, please.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I mean I don't particularly care personally, just thought I'd point that out since audience expectations came up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Terumoko
joined Feb 18, 2013

Wow really?

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Wow really?

Yes, I'm telling you to drop it and walk away from this discussion. Is that not clear?

Terumoko
joined Feb 18, 2013

Wow really?

Yes, I'm telling you to drop it and walk away from this discussion. Is that not clear?

No it's not really clear at all. Do you have a point or just acting a tough guy because you can?

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Wow really?

No it's not really clear at all. Do you have a point or just acting a tough guy because you can?

Yes, the point is that is that it's not acceptable to act that way towards a mod here. Is that clear, or do you have some more incredulous comments?

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 3:29PM

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

Not that I disagree or anything, but tag changes need to go through the Suggest Tags page. Make sure you do that step as well, please.

My bad, I assumed that the person I was quoting had already done it

Terumoko
joined Feb 18, 2013

Wow really?

Yes, the point is that is that it's not acceptable to act that way towards a mod here. Is that clear, or do you have some more incredulous comments?

In what way was what I said (act lol) unacceptable? Are you fucked in the head or something?
Wow you are a real fucking piece of work you know that? Do you act this way in real life? Just holy shit I actually feel bad for you in a way. Seriously though, does this kind of exchange ever work out the way you hope? I mean you here you go rolling up on someone acting like a fucking thug and this is supposed to engender some kind of positive response on my part? Fucking wow. All you had to do was show the smallest amount of respect and I would have been fine. Good luck with life tough guy.

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 11:20PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

TeruMoko posted:

Wow really?

Wow you are a real fucking piece of work you know that? Do you act this way in real life? Just holy shit I actually feel bad for you in a way. Seriously though, does this kind of exchange ever work out the way you hope? I mean you here you go rolling up on someone acting like a fucking thug and this is supposed to engender some kind of positive response on my part? Fucking wow. All you had to do was show the smallest amount of respect and I would have been fine. Good luck with life tough guy.

Well you insulted mod saying they do shitty job, because whenever there is a actual conversation going about stuff in story, they shut it down, so you're going 100% ignore them and keep on going despite warnings. I don't think you really can talk about being respectful, after telling someone to piss off. Also you know, it's their forum and they're the ones deciding what is and isn't appropriate, so you're free to write what you want, but in the end it is you who will have to feel the consequences, not them. So like, yea, you're kinda on lost position here, whatever you consider it fair or not.

EDIT/ And obviously they got banned, figured it will happen.

last edited at Dec 25, 2018 11:41PM

Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Wow really?

In what way was what I said (act lol) unacceptable? Are you fucked in the head or something?

It was suppose to make you shut up, which the ban will now do. Show you some respect when you show none already? lmao cya

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Well I don't see a one-shot tag, so whether there really is more or not, my imagination is running wild.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

whitenight2013 posted:

Well I don't see a one-shot tag

Maybe because there isn't one.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

whitenight2013 posted:

Well I don't see a one-shot tag

Maybe because there isn't one.

I'm baffled that I never noticed this simple fact. It's like I've been assuming the tag was there all along when in reality it never was. Freaky.

last edited at Dec 26, 2018 11:33PM

Untitled-2
joined Aug 17, 2014

Why is the comment section become more and more toxic? Nah i'll just read it in silent.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Redemption by love is like the most seriously adorable trope in the book of tropes.

And of course, to make the trope work, you need a character who needs to be redeemed. For example, someone who is bad, rough, violent, dominant and doesn't show proper respect to girls... that's the whole Heathcliff set, you can't go wrong with classics, lol. Once the heroine makes them see the light with the power of love, voilà: all the problems are solved and all's right with the world!

I laughed at the Heathcliff reference. ^.^
I guess we girls have been fantasizing since like forever about meeting a cool bad guy and then healing their wounded heart with love...

joined Jul 26, 2016

TVTropes, naturally, has entries for that phenomenom. (Heathcliff makes an appearance in the first.)

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Hehe, all subtropes of this, I guess?
Also, this.
And this.

Man, there sure are lots of topics for this concept, ain't there?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Redemption by love is like the most seriously adorable trope in the book of tropes.

And of course, to make the trope work, you need a character who needs to be redeemed. For example, someone who is bad, rough, violent, dominant and doesn't show proper respect to girls... that's the whole Heathcliff set, you can't go wrong with classics, lol. Once the heroine makes them see the light with the power of love, voilà: all the problems are solved and all's right with the world!

I laughed at the Heathcliff reference. ^.^
I guess we girls have been fantasizing since like forever about meeting a cool bad guy and then healing their wounded heart with love...

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=202

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

And this.

Hey I take offence at that.

"All girls want bad boys!?" What the hell!? Some of us want bad girls!

To reply you must either login or sign up.