Forum › My Master & Furry-eared Girl Mel discussion

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

Also... Is it just me, or is this volume special supposed to go before the actual chapters in this volume, sans Mist's section?

Pages in volume are numbered, special was last after the chapter

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

legit, the only thing i miss about being a girl is having long hair for people to play with XD shit was relaxing as heck!! also, LAST VOLUME??!!?? T^T i cri

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Where are people getting the idea that Mel and Master are now fugitives? They're just moving to somewhere else in the country.

It clearly states they are going to another country - where the relationship between beast-girls and humans is 'different' is how it was put - to which I take it to mean a country where they are treated equal and they can freely be together - and not be treated as some kinda servant race that don't have the same rights, like they seem to be in their homeland.

Given how Mel had to be careful to hide her tail and ears, I'm going to guess the beast girls of their country are not aloud to travel abroad - to 'freedom'?

But I agree they wont be fugitives - nobody is looking for them or knows Mel has gone with her master - they will just settle down to a quite life in some other country. But it did seem like if it came to the attention of the authorities and master went back to their country, she would at least be in some trouble with the law.

last edited at Dec 4, 2018 11:34PM

Inai hou ga ii ningen
joined May 23, 2018

"Innocent world"

Okay, keep your secrets

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

it would've been nice if they took collette too...

She wants to retire and be with her family rather than move to another country. Perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, as far back as chapter 10, it was made clear that Colette had been planning to retire for quite some time. That was the main reason she suggested Master adopt a beastkin in the first place (after Master had said it was impossible for her to make friends or get married). Colette wanted to be sure that Master had one person in her life she could trust so that when she retired Master wouldn't be completely alone.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

it would've been nice if they took collette too...

She wants to retire and be with her family rather than move to another country. Perfectly reasonable.

Yeah, as far back as chapter 10, it was made clear that Colette had been planning to retire for quite some time. That was the main reason she suggested Master adopt a beastkin in the first place (after Master had said it was impossible for her to make friends or get married). Colette wanted to be sure that Master had one person in her life she could trust so that when she retired Master wouldn't be completely alone.

I'm telling ya, Collette's been the master planner/power behind the throne all along. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny_Goodness

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

She did hide her ears and tail, but not with any serious effort. If a hat and long skirt is all it takes to get past any security they have on the matter, it can't be that big of a deal.

joined Oct 14, 2016

Also... Is it just me, or is this volume special supposed to go before the actual chapters in this volume, sans Mist's section?

Pages in volume are numbered, special was last after the chapter

There's a 1 year time skip , so the extra happened around that time.

Screen%20shot%202016-04-20%20at%207.35.18%20am
joined Dec 20, 2015

Nooooo Coletteeeee ;_;

joined Dec 10, 2017

She did hide her ears and tail, but not with any serious effort. If a hat and long skirt is all it takes to get past any security they have on the matter, it can't be that big of a deal.

I had just assumed that it was very rare for masters to want to take their beastkin outside of the country, so they didn’t think to check. Now that Master and Mel ran off they might start being more careful though.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I had just assumed that it was very rare for masters to want to take their beastkin outside of the country, so they didn’t think to check. Now that Master and Mel ran off they might start being more careful though.

Also, this isn't exactly a police state. It'd be pretty difficult to enforce any kind of strict restrictions on freedom of movement in a turn of the century setting.

joined Sep 25, 2015

Even though it was short, I really liked it. Endings still make me feel empty inside.
Colette... ;_;

joined Jul 26, 2016

Also, this isn't exactly a police state. It'd be pretty difficult to enforce any kind of strict restrictions on freedom of movement in a turn of the century setting.

You'd be surprised. Remarkably harsh travel controls can be implemented already with Medieval technology, as demonstrated by eg. the Tokugawa bakufu and some of the Chinese dynasties (starting with the Qin) - it's just a matter of state organisation and seeing a reason to invest the required effort. And Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal has a pretty impressive study of the kind of dragnet that can be created with basically just telephones and card indexes; the story's set in the Sixties but the tools employed by the authorities date to the "Long Nineteenth Century".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You'd be surprised. Remarkably harsh travel controls can be implemented already with Medieval technology, as demonstrated by eg. the Tokugawa bakufu and some of the Chinese dynasties (starting with the Qin) - it's just a matter of state organisation and seeing a reason to invest the required effort. And Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal has a pretty impressive study of the kind of dragnet that can be created with basically just telephones and card indexes; the story's set in the Sixties but the tools employed by the authorities date to the "Long Nineteenth Century".

All true, but for all the apparent new "evidence" we've been given about the legal status of beastkin, we still don't know very much about the specific laws and practices of this storyworld and how they do or don't fit together.

• Masters traveling with beastkin within the country is completely normal--we've seen Stella and Master both do it.

• There's some kind of status regarding Mel's collar and an ID number, but few of the other beastkin wear anything resembling Mel's bondage/slave/pet collar, which she wore before being taken in by Master.

• There's an illegal beastkin slave trade, the specific reasons for which (sex? perverse collections? ransom? pelts?) being left to our imaginations, and the authorities in general seem to be on the lookout for the welfare of beastkin.

• Romantic relationships between humans and beastkin are frowned upon, but whether they're actually illegal, and whether the objections are to interspecies miscegenation, to (possibly) unavoidable pedophilia with the never-fully-maturing beastkin, or to inequality of social status, or some combination thereof, is never made clear.

The ending implies that there's some sort of "Transporting Beastkin Across International Borders for Immoral Purposes" issue, but its nature and extent is, once again, left to our imaginations.

Ah, well, like Marie and Collette, I just want the people, etc. I care about to be happy together.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Ya, files under "seeing a reason to invest in the required effort". Apparently the authorities here, well, don't, at least beyond the fairly nominal. (I'm a tad skeptical of the degree to which the authorities actually care about the critters, though, given that the supervision of beastkin-master relations is apparently entirely down to "social controls" and self-reporting - and Mel presumably isn't the only specimen alarmingly fuzzy about the relevant laws to boot.)

arandommangareader
joined Nov 10, 2018

Damn that panel of the house in ch13, it looks damn fkin great. It feels so good to see a yuri manga with such a background art like this one.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Because most of it is doujins or self published - we don't get that many yuri manga paid to be made for a magazine etc, where a really good artist is gonna put in the kind of time and effort needed for great backgrounds.

Also, story wise, the background art is often superfluous - or does not need to be detailed. It just looks a lot better when it is:) Thus it is often skipped or minimized for time/effort reasons.

last edited at Dec 19, 2018 7:55PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

elevown posted:

^Because most of it is doujins or self published - we don't get that many yuri manga paid to be made for a magazine etc, where a really good artist is gonna put in the kind of time and effort needed for great backgrounds.

Also, story wise, the background art is often superfluous - or does not need to be detailed. It just looks a lot better when it is:) Thus it is often skipped or minimized for time/effort reasons.

I feel like it ironically could be actually reverse, especially when weekly published. When you're self published you don't really have a schedule and can put as much time and effort as you want, polishing everything. On the other hand when you're a "proper" mangaka and have schedules and such, it often is hard to find enough time/motivation to put as much effort, so in fact skipping stuff like that is usually first thing you're going to do. It's a fact, most magazines don't give a fuck about how you envisioned your story to look and only care about releasing profitable new chapters. The Shounen Jump is the best example of how even very talented artists over time are worked to death. It is just not realistic to keep a very detailed, polished art-style when you need to make weekly releases. At some point you will start to make compromises and adapt quicker ways to draw stuff. The best example from top of my head is Kubo who was pretty much genius in term of drawing, but over time, he stopped giving a fuck and he basically stopped drawing backgrounds altogether. Also his art-style become much more simplified and "shoune-like" when before it was much more detailed and distinctive. Sure, you can hire assistants, but their job is more of doing the repetitive, annoying stuff and at best copying you, so unless they are at the same lvl at you, they really can't help with quality of manga. Other example is Kishimoto, at first he gave Naruto very detailed googles, but he immediately realized they are way too hard and complicate to draw over and over, so he quickly changed them to very simple village headband.

Sure there are also monthly releases etc. so they have a bit more of free room, but still, unless you're very good and efficient at your drawing, there is no way you can keep up putting very detailed, impressive work time after time. That is probably the main reason, why most mangas are not that impressive art wise, especially since as you said, at best it only make them look better, most of the time you don't really need it to express core emotions or plot of the story.

TL;DR: Being published doesn't automatically means your art is better than self-published and even if your art is very good, it can actually take much more effort to show it off, when you're published.

Either way, Itou is amazing artist regardless.

last edited at Dec 19, 2018 8:24PM

joined May 30, 2016

The ending was so bittersweet that I'm having mixed emotionsss AAGGHH...
Master and Mel finally got what they want and Marie's acceptance and letting go was sweet but sad. I must admit though, the kidnapping chapter somewhat disturbed me and wasn't expecting something as dark as that to be in the author's work. But I enjoyed it nonetheless as it gave an air of realism to the setting.

On to the bitter part of the ending - no it wasn't Marie's letting go, but rather the leaving of Colette behind which I'll argue, is the BEST PART OF THE ENDING!! That part was just so beautiful to me, a stark contrast between the aforementioned bitterness and sweetness, that something had to be left behind in order to move on forward. Just as Colette said, "Choosing something means giving something up", is probably a life lesson that people fail to realize or just don't want to admit. The presentation was just perfect. I was expecting actually a happy ending where they just live happily ever after in the manor but no. I applaud the author for giving us this ending which is actually more fulfilling so to speak. I probably sound ridiculous saying all these things, having learned something profound... in a yuri manga... about an adult lady... and her young beast girl but that's just how I felt and I neeeeeeeeeeed an outlet for these emotions so cut me some slack - I was really surprised that this is already over hahaha.

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks.

Last thoughts
It has been a while since I've read the previous volumes but wasn't Master adopted into this family? She wasn't blood related to the owners and such but why did she say that Colette was watching over the manor when she was born implying that the Master was actually born there? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong or it was a different manga, I'm not sure anymore.

It has been a while, I'm not sure if I just can't remember it from the previous chapter, but what was the Master's first name?

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Last thoughts
It has been a while since I've read the previous volumes but wasn't Master adopted into this family? She wasn't blood related to the owners and such but why did she say that Colette was watching over the manor when she was born implying that the Master was actually born there? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong or it was a different manga, I'm not sure anymore.

I noticed this too. My only guess is that Master meant it literally. For instance: Colette has been watching over the manor for 35 years, and Master was born 33 years ago. Not 100% sure but I think there is no implication in the original Japanese that Master was born into the manor.

It has been a while, I'm not sure if I just can't remember it from the previous chapter, but what was the Master's first name?

She has no name. When in the final page Master says she'll ask Mel to call her by name, this is a joke where the author is acknowledging that no one ever called Master by name throughout the whole series.

last edited at Dec 29, 2018 1:09AM

joined May 30, 2016

Last thoughts

I noticed this too. My only guess is that Master meant it literally. For instance: Colette has been watching over the manor for 35 years, and Master was born 33 years ago. Not 100% sure but I think there is no implication in the original Japanese that Master was born into the manor.

Ah so it was just to put things into perspective I guess.

She has no name. When in the final page Master says she'll ask Mel to call her by name, this is a joke where the author is acknowledging that no one ever called Master by name throughout the whole series.

Ohhh It was a joke, or maybe just to emphasize how important Mel is to her by being one of the first people she actually asks to call her by name.

last edited at Dec 29, 2018 1:44PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

NightRequiem posted:

Ohhh It was a joke, or maybe just to emphasize how important Mel is to her by being one of the first people she actually asks to call her by name.

Considering Mel ends up not calling her her name because she is too embarrassed so we never learn it, Itou was trolling us from the start.

last edited at Dec 29, 2018 1:45PM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Apparently Itou is still doing some Master-Mel comics.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76155621

Would be nice if someone translates this.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Apparently Itou is still doing some Master-Mel comics.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/76155621

Would be nice if someone translates this.

Those are samples for a book she's selling. Looks like there's another one out too:
https://ec.toranoana.shop/tora/ec/item/040030559028/
https://ec.toranoana.shop/tora/ec/item/040030755610/

Hikamaru%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

I'm a whole 18 year old male college freshman and this made me shed a few tears at the end.

To reply you must either login or sign up.