Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

im not crying im not crying

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

So damn cute, the first time they met on the first pages and their confession on the last :’) the “it’s weird, we’re both girls” crisis was easily resolved. I like how Nanoha just straight up told Chidori how she feels without prolonging it. And how Chidori directly responded without being a tsun tsun. Other manga should take notes from this.
My only complaint is that I wanted to see more of the history between Chidori and the senpai. I dig sad/troubled Chidori (only because we get to see how much happier she is with Nanoha)

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I think Yoshida-senpai was the girl who gave Chidori the chocolates and that she's similar to the poly girl from AnoKiss who gave flowers to everyone and thats why she says that her love isn't the same as her love.

Yoshida is the girl who's dating Abe. They're mentioned here, they just happened to start dating the same day Chidori and Nanoha did. Igarashi is the one who gave the chocolates to Chidori. She has no relation to Yoshida (as far as we know).

All we know at this point is that Igarashi and Chidori have some sort of history—Chidori was in love with her but felt betrayed and avoided her, and that's why she cut her hair. She didn't confront her until Igarashi gave her the Valentines chocolate, and then she went and returned the chocolate to her.

I totally forgot about that panel and that her name was Igarashi. Forget my dumb theory then lol.

joined Feb 23, 2016

That sudden confession.. faster than speed of light it just got shoved right in that scene xD

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

this is still the cutest thing ever!

last edited at Nov 1, 2018 6:14PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

THESE TWO SOFT LESBIAN NERDS ARE GONNA KILL THE FUCK OUT OF ME ARE YOU KIDING ME HOLY SHIT I'M BLUSHING AND JUMPING OVER THE CUTE

someone show donald trump this
maybe itll bring world peace

joined Dec 16, 2017

No, he'll just put an executive order out to ban all cute yuri in the west and on all social media because of something trivial.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This is so cute.

No, he'll just put an executive order out to ban all cute yuri in the west and on all social media because of something trivial.

We'll have to round up the Yuri fans and remove him from power if that happened.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just re-read Chapters 10,11, 22 & 23 (aka The Beginning of Their Love Saga).

I have attained yuri cuteness nirvana.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

The best things from this is that it tells us that Chidori's lover was a girl and that they have now left the school. This means possibly for disruptive drama has been reduced.

Also the cuteness, aways the cuteness!

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

This is good stuff.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! So CUTE

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

<3

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

schuyguy posted:

好き!
私も!

I guess it might be a little too literal, maybe "I love you too" would be better. But the "me too" answer isn't uncommon in English. I've heard people speak like that, and I'm sure I've said that myself, though it can definitely seem awkward when you think about it.

Edit: though now that I think about it, Chidori's awkwardness in answering might make "me too" a more accurate translation in this case.... I'll just give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what I was going for when I wrote this down.

It happens in English but usually only from fairly socially awkward people or when someone is responding to someone saying "I love you" when they're not paying attention or when it totally catches them off-guard. You do have a good point about it not necessarily being out of place in this specific scene but I feel it's far too common in scanlations for it to simply be a matter of people actually frequently saying it in most cases.

I'm by no means an expert in Japanese but a quick Google translate gives "Like!" or "I like!" as the most viable translations for the first one (with "Love!" or "I like it!" being the other valid ones) which would suggest to me it's not quite as straightforward as a a literal translation. An addon I have for Firefox suggests that while "me too!" might be valid as a literal translation it actually misses nuances that may be there in Japanese. It actually seems to be a phrase used in a sort of self-inclusive reflection of whatever it's being used in response to. So while "me too!" would be the literal translation I think that "I love you too" would actually be a more natural translation and would likely be closer to what the author intended.

Thanks for posting the Japanese dialogue. That definitely helped me see where it comes from.

Thanks for pointing this out, I thought it was correct since English isn't my first language

Richardevans
joined Jun 1, 2016

I desperately need more...

Fb_img_1557642301687
joined Aug 12, 2013

I love this series so much ;-;

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

This was so cute it made me cry.

joined Aug 22, 2016

schuyguy posted:

好き!
私も!

I guess it might be a little too literal, maybe "I love you too" would be better. But the "me too" answer isn't uncommon in English. I've heard people speak like that, and I'm sure I've said that myself, though it can definitely seem awkward when you think about it.

Edit: though now that I think about it, Chidori's awkwardness in answering might make "me too" a more accurate translation in this case.... I'll just give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what I was going for when I wrote this down.

It happens in English but usually only from fairly socially awkward people or when someone is responding to someone saying "I love you" when they're not paying attention or when it totally catches them off-guard. You do have a good point about it not necessarily being out of place in this specific scene but I feel it's far too common in scanlations for it to simply be a matter of people actually frequently saying it in most cases.

I'm by no means an expert in Japanese but a quick Google translate gives "Like!" or "I like!" as the most viable translations for the first one (with "Love!" or "I like it!" being the other valid ones) which would suggest to me it's not quite as straightforward as a a literal translation. An addon I have for Firefox suggests that while "me too!" might be valid as a literal translation it actually misses nuances that may be there in Japanese. It actually seems to be a phrase used in a sort of self-inclusive reflection of whatever it's being used in response to. So while "me too!" would be the literal translation I think that "I love you too" would actually be a more natural translation and would likely be closer to what the author intended.

Thanks for posting the Japanese dialogue. That definitely helped me see where it comes from.

Thanks for pointing this out, I thought it was correct since English isn't my first language

The response "me too" may seem awkward to "I love you", but it isn't really and no, not because only fairly socially awkward people say it. It works as an informal response such that the person is saying "me as well" to the statement "I love you" which has been generalized. So, even though they're saying "me too" they're actually meaning "I love you as well".

The following case would be awkward because "you" specifically refers to Martha and can't be changed, so Martha is
saying "I love me too".

Rose: "I love you, Martha"
Martha: "Me too"

The following case works because the "you" is specific only to Martha since Rose is speaking to Martha. Otherwise, "you" can be anyone depending on those involved. So, Martha is agreeing with the general statement of "I love you", but since she's responding to Rose saying "I love you", Martha is essentially saying "I love you too"

Rose: "I love you"
Martha: "Me too. I love you"

yeah... that's English for you. Funny though, this doesn’t work if someone says they hate you.

That said, I feel bad for Senpai.

last edited at Nov 4, 2018 4:13AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

The response "me too" may seem awkward to "I love you", but it isn't really and no, not because only fairly socially awkward people say it. It works as an informal response such that the person is saying "me as well" to the statement "I love you" which has been generalized. So, even though they're saying "me too" they're actually meaning "I love you as well".

From my diligent research on the topic I have determined that substantial number of English-speakers find "me too" a perfectly appropriate response to "I love you", while others think it's ungrammatical. So to some extent, I believe the question of whether it's a good translation depends on what variety of English you speak. In some dialects or sociolects, it might be a fine answer in any circumstance, while in others it would sound awkward in most circumstances, and in others yet would be wrong in any circumstance. So there might be some cases where the translation isn't wrong or bad, it's just that the translator's English is a little different from the English you know (though of course there are also cases where the translator don't know English good or makes a careless mistake).

Personally, if I said "I love you" to someone and they said "me too" I'd know exactly what they meant: "I too love you." I doubt that anyone would actually misunderstand and confuse the meaning for "I love me too". Someone might say that as a joke, but it's not a serious interpretation of the statement. However, in some circumstances, saying "me too" would come across as insincere.

Advice on usage: when your significant other is feeling vulnerable or uncertain and says, "I love you," in a desperate or plaintive tone do not answer with "me too."

last edited at Nov 4, 2018 6:32AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

From my diligent research on the topic I have determined that substantial number of English-speakers find "me too" a perfectly appropriate response to "I love you", while others think it's ungrammatical.

From experience, I have never known or heard of a native speaker who would consider “Me too” to be ungrammatical or as saying, “I love me too.”

In fact, it’s an expected telephone response when the speaker is in a situation where being overheard saying “I love you too” would be embarrassing or inappropriate. So much so that in certain circumstances it would be obvious that the speaker was avoiding saying “I love you too” and might be teased for it.

last edited at Nov 4, 2018 6:42AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Well, I could be wrong. By "diligent research", I meant "5 minutes of googling", so there's bound to be some inaccuracies in my method.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, I could be wrong. By "diligent research", I meant "5 minutes of googling", so there's bound to be some inaccuracies in my method.

Lots of stuff on this “me too” construction in various places:

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/08/me-too-i-too.html

“English speakers generally choose “me” over “I” when a pronoun is the subject of an elliptical, verbless sentence, never mind what’s technically correct.”

There’s a scene in The Godfather where Michael talks to Kay on the phone with a bunch of wiseguys hanging around, and although he doesn’t say, “Me too,” it’s exactly the situation where a bashful person would say it:

KAY'S VOICE (over the phone): I love you.

MICHAEL (into the phone): Huh?

KAY'S VOICE (over the phone, louder): I love you. (then) Michael?

MICHAEL (into the phone): Yeah, I know.

KAY'S VOICE (over the phone): Tell me you love me...

MICHAEL (into the phone): I can't talk...

KAY'S VOICE (over the phone): Can't you say it?

MICHAEL (into the phone): Eh...I'll see you tonight.

KAY'S VOICE: Okay

[Michael hangs up the phone.]

CLEMENZA: Hey, Mikey, why don't you tell that nice girl you love her? (in an exaggerated Italian accent) I love you with all-a my heart! If I don't see you again soon, I'm a-gonna die! (laughs)

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Oh, I actually just watched that. It's a good scene, it makes a nice contrast with him murdering two guys in cold blood shortly after.

I'm just saying that I've seen enough people bitching about how "me too" is actually incorrect (as opposed to just awkward or insincere) that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that in some variety of English I've never encountered, if you answered "I love you" with "me too" people would be genuinely confused as to what you meant.

Edit: sorry, I can genuinely discuss grammar and what "correctness" means in language all day.

last edited at Nov 4, 2018 8:56AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.