Forum › A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy discussion

Cnwdrjjvmail6tq
joined Jun 30, 2017

@Midnightgunner: Being Brazilian has it's good points sometimes.

Hey-hey, I'm brazillian too! Toca aqui!

Me too! High five! :3

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

So what did everyone make of Kagami's line about "not caring about maidens or anything like that?"

It came off as a bit of strange thing to say, but I took it to mean something along the lines of Kagami basically saying I'm not a lesbian but I'm not going to let anybody steal you away?

Or something perhaps along the lines of I'm normally not into girls, but I am into you?

Well from previous chapters, "Maidens" comes off as a local school social phenomenon. Where an older student takes a younger one as their own. I'm not entirely sure how to put it adequately. I'd say it's less saying that she's not normally into girls, but more she doesn't care about what dumb school social status thing exists.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So what did everyone make of Kagami's line about "not caring about maidens or anything like that?"

It came off as a bit of strange thing to say, but I took it to mean something along the lines of Kagami basically saying I'm not a lesbian but I'm not going to let anybody steal you away?

Or something perhaps along the lines of I'm normally not into girls, but I am into you?

Well from previous chapters, "Maidens" comes off as a local school social phenomenon. Where an older student takes a younger one as their own. I'm not entirely sure how to put it adequately. I'd say it's less saying that she's not normally into girls, but more she doesn't care about what dumb school social status thing exists.

I think that’s right—it’s some kind of “petite soeur” thing (with strong lesbian undertones, to be sure).

Hell, with a cutie like Indou, if they didn’t already have such a custom, they’d need to start one.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 6:34AM

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Its strange how they portray indou as dense about attraction but perceptive of everything else, and then also good with natural instinct. It doesn't feel like it really fits together wel

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Ah, thanks for the heads up. It had been a while since I read the last chapter and I totally forgot about the prior mention of the whole maiden thing. I just went back and reread that part and it makes much more sense now.

Mikoto_to_aru_kagaku_no_railgun
joined Feb 18, 2018

Somehow it reminds me of Straweberry Panic.

joined Sep 16, 2014

jesus christ that was a rollercoaster of 'is it gay or not'

first it was gay when indou was thinking if the rumors were true and i thought who cares just give in to the gay
then turns out it was all because of her mother and it turned out not gay
then the end turned out really gay

maybe because i just read a tragic yuri today but im happy this chap turned out gay

also, while rereading this, that woman kagami saw in ch.4 may've been indou's mother

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 7:35AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Its strange how they portray indou as dense about attraction but perceptive of everything else, and then also good with natural instinct. It doesn't feel like it really fits together wel

As others have said, Indou is exceptionally smart (her aunt says so, and she’s no flatterer) but untutored and unsocialized (so far). And we now know that she takes after her highly respected and competent mother.

Indou apparently has been raised in rural and poverty-stricken isolation, so she had no experience at reading anything like Kagami’s mixed emotional signals.

That’s a quality Indou shares with half the readership, it seems, who decided on the basis of Chapter 1 that Kagami was a demon from hell despite the blatant signals that, although she is sharp-tongued and strict on the surface, she is actually generous and kind-hearted.

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

OHO.
Wait, who is Shinobu again? I'm going to backtack after posting this...

(Edit) Ah it's Indou's first name. So that must be the aunt.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 8:17AM

Clipboard00
joined Oct 30, 2015

Oh, boy. This is really good.

joined Oct 10, 2016

Sooooo she had fallen in love with her mother, but mother died, so she hopes to fall in love with her daughter?

This is f*cked up.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Yes! I love when one girl plainly states (and executes) her intentions. Were I a marching puppy I would gladly be collared by her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sooooo she had fallen in love with her mother, but mother died, so she hopes to fall in love with her daughter?

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever in the story that Kagami was in love with Indou’s mother.

Kagami says that she liked and respected her, and she explicitly says that her romantic attraction to Indou is not related to her feelings for the mother. (That’s particularly plausible since half the school also seems to be attracted to Indou without having any idea who her mother was.)

That doesn’t mean that it’s totally impossible that Kagami actually was in love with Indou’s mother; we may later discover that she was. But to say she was at this point is based on nothing in the text.

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

Oooooohhhh... That kiss is so goooooood

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

I gotta say, I love the art in this! The historic aura really shines through in the environment as well, I have high hopes for this!

joined Sep 25, 2015

This is f*cked up.

I thought it was really hot. Reminds me of the story of the pharmacist who ends up with her high school crush's daughter or the one with the teacher where her high school crush' daughter was in love with her.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Apparently Indou has a latent superpower to mess with the flow of time because from that distance the boar should've been on them in about a second, or rather less than it oughta taken for just herself to scramble high up the tree to be out of reach.
Those things are fast over short distances.

...I'm never going to understand why authors feel obliged to throw in these kinds of OMG dangerous situations and then totally half-ass the resolutions like this. : |

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

I'll echo what other people have said and say that I interpreted the whole "maidens" thing as a representation of that whole "senpai-kouhai" relationship that is very intimate but not necessarily romantic and fades after school is over, like Class S, you know what I'm talking about. What I think Kagami is saying is basically "I don't care about that shit, I'm just genuinely gay for you".

Speaking of which, I think it's kinda interesting that Kagami is the overtly gay one. While I think she's abusing the power dynamic between them a bit too much to get alone time with Indou for her ulterior motives, I can kinda excuse it since she's basically still a kid and all. I'd like more insight on her character and her feelings before I pass judgement on her.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Indou makes the best happy faces.

That smiling face in page 131? I feel like I'm healed every time I look at it.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Lol, poor Shinobu. Right when she thought everything had become clear and her worries were just a misunderstanding ─ BAM, surprise kiss.

Hm... wait a minute...

Why did I say "poor" Shinobu? Is a surprise kiss really a bad thing? Hmm...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Apparently Indou has a latent superpower to mess with the flow of time because from that distance the boar should've been on them in about a second, or rather less than it oughta taken for just herself to scramble high up the tree to be out of reach.
Those things are fast over short distances.

...I'm never going to understand why authors feel obliged to throw in these kinds of OMG dangerous situations and then totally half-ass the resolutions like this. : |

Movies are routinely way worse about “character development stop time” at a crisis—Kagami’s hand is already on the tree before the boar even thinks about charging, and the crook of the tree is fairly low.

So while the time and apparent distances are definitely fudged a bit, if you assume that several panels are near-simultaneous it’s not extraordinarily implausible. (Again, compared to, say, Korean dramas, where two people can practically exchange complete marriage vows while a semi-truck bears down on them.)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Many other media being even worse about it (compare Spider-Man's Epic Feats that make talking at any arbitrary length a Free Action to him) doesn't make it any better you know.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Many other media being even worse about it (compare Spider-Man's Epic Feats that make talking at any arbitrary length a Free Action to him) doesn't make it any better you know.

Sorry--I wasn't being clear. Comics don't move, so they don't have slow motion--they just break a given event into more panels. So the last panel on page 146 and the first one on 147 could be seen as near-simultaneous, and the bottom two on 147 definitely are. I'm not going to claim that the scene adheres to strict real-world time, but throw in some extreme foreshortening to get the slowly approaching boar into the same panels as the characters, and the plausibility meter barely budges.

Again, if you don't like how it was done, cheers. And you're right that boars/feral swine are no joke--they're very, very fast. I'd just assume that as it got closer the boar got a good look at how cute the girls are and let them off the hook.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Is a surprise kiss really a bad thing? Hmm...

What, you trying to start a 25-page debate over whether grabbing and kissing a girl without first asking for permission is ok or not?

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

It should come with a disclaimer. Don't try this at home, kids.

To reply you must either login or sign up.