Gay%20cum
joined Jul 16, 2013

Cute and sweet

A9fe1102-7f0e-4701-a4a9-e2611d5c44c7
joined Jan 14, 2016

And I feel GOD in this chili's tonight

Renge5
joined May 26, 2017

Has anyone else noticed that Pearl's personality (ingame) is basically Sakurako from Yuru Yuri? Is gremlin a character archtype now?

joined Sep 25, 2015

Has anyone else noticed that Pearl's personality (ingame) is basically Sakurako from Yuru Yuri? Is gremlin a character archtype now?

It's called "brat".
At least that's what we call it in /a/.

Sweet Dangus McGee
Jung%20freud%202
joined Jul 2, 2017

This is adorable and I love that the Sappholopods are getting the appreciation they deserve, but...

I gotta criticize that design of human!Marina. Look, I give plenty of slack I probably shouldn't to artists who wind up not coloring in her skin in a black-and-white comic, or pick a slightly too light shade when trying to stick to pastels, whatever. But I gotta draw a line here with this Marina, cuz it takes a very black coded character and, well, doesn't depict any of that blackness in the new design. Not just making her skin barely darker than Pearls, which is not good in and of itself, but the hair that's the real problem here. That kind of straight, vaguely messy hair tells me the artist wasn't sure how to translate the tentacle hair into a human, and thus wound up making a vague approximation based on what they already knew about drawing hair.

The problem is, it effectively whitewashes the original design because nothing about the new character exhibits any of the racial characteristics of the original. That's no good. Without context I could not tell you that's supposed to be Marina.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oooh this is so sweet, I've been saving their human forms and their normal forms (and even their kitty forms) lately but I didn't had any of these, thanks for sharing TAT

joined Jul 13, 2014

I love Hime/Pearl's short bangs.

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

That was fresh.

Screen%20shot%202015-01-02%20at%2011.59.56%20pm
joined Jun 4, 2015

This is adorable and I love that the Sappholopods are getting the appreciation they deserve, but...

I gotta criticize that design of human!Marina. Look, I give plenty of slack I probably shouldn't to artists who wind up not coloring in her skin in a black-and-white comic, or pick a slightly too light shade when trying to stick to pastels, whatever. But I gotta draw a line here with this Marina, cuz it takes a very black coded character and, well, doesn't depict any of that blackness in the new design. Not just making her skin barely darker than Pearls, which is not good in and of itself, but the hair that's the real problem here. That kind of straight, vaguely messy hair tells me the artist wasn't sure how to translate the tentacle hair into a human, and thus wound up making a vague approximation based on what they already knew about drawing hair.

The problem is, it effectively whitewashes the original design because nothing about the new character exhibits any of the racial characteristics of the original. That's no good. Without context I could not tell you that's supposed to be Marina.

Absolutely my first thought. I know anime has a habit of glossing over race but this is pretty abhorrent.

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

Marina ain't chocolatey enough in this, what the heck.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

I love these human designs.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

I love Hime/Pearl's short bangs.

The bangs are so good.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This was nice.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Actually kind of glad I'm not the only one bothered by Marina's race lift. Fantasticly adorable comic, and nice designs, but I don't agree with Marina's changes.

Oneplusoneequalstwo
joined Jun 5, 2018

I was super confused because the black one was immediately not black anymore.

joined Oct 26, 2016

Man as soon as I saw the color change I knew there would be an uproar in the comments.

I was confused too but I guess this is just the artist's interpretation of their human forms so it really doesn't matter in the end as long as the personalities are accurate. Not seeing anyone complain they aren't squid people anymore.

last edited at Jul 18, 2018 3:46AM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

this threw me as well. Great comic apart from that.
Not sure why some artist take dark skinned characters and make them lighter so often but they aren't real so I guess all I can say in the end is I favor "those" elements of the original.

It's called "brat".
At least that's what we call it in /a/.

Eh I wouldn't say she is a brat. She looks like one though.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Is gremlin a character archtype now?

I certainly hope so.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Not sure why some artist take dark skinned characters and make them lighter so often but they aren't real so I guess all I can say in the end is I favor "those" elements of the original.

Well I mean the answer is racism. Bigotry doesn't just manifest as frothing at the mouth genocidal rhetoric it can be subtle stuff like the implication that dark skinned people are aesthetically unappealing by lightening their skin in representations of them. Like Marina is pretty clearly black-coded and this artist removed every trace of that in their design.

drpepperfan Admin
joined Oct 12, 2010

Well I mean the answer is racism. Bigotry doesn't just manifest as frothing at the mouth genocidal rhetoric it can be subtle stuff like the implication that dark skinned people are aesthetically unappealing by lightening their skin in representations of them. Like Marina is pretty clearly black-coded and this artist removed every trace of that in their design.

I mean, calm it down please. Just calling the artist flat out racist is over the top, let's not do this.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I mean, calm it down please. Just calling the artist flat out racist is over the top, let's not do this.

I'm perfectly calm though I'm just stating a fact: white-washing is racist. I'm not saying the artist hates black people and is a horrible person I'm saying they did a racist thing, probably not even with any ill intent, which is something most people do. Nobody is perfect and we all have unexamined biases but ignoring them and then getting defensive and offended when they get brought up is how they remain unexamined.

Screen%20shot%202017-12-10%20at%208.19.31%20pm
joined Dec 26, 2013

Thought I was the only one, was so confused when I saw it.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I think that's pretty much just what the art style at the time called for. The artist probably wanted to express the cuteness of Marina's expressions, rather than worry about what shade of grey she should be. It's obvious from the color picture afterwards that the intention wasn't to "white-wash" her.

last edited at Jul 18, 2018 6:33AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I think that's pretty much just what the art style at the time called for. The artist probably wanted to express the cuteness of Marina's expressions, rather than worry about what shade of grey she should be. It's obvious from the color picture afterwards that the intention wasn't to "white-wash" her.

The colour picture where her skin is many shades lighter than it canonically is? Because white-washing doesn't literally mean paper white it means significantly lighter than the character/person is.

To reply you must either login or sign up.