Forum › Kase-san discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Potentially broken legs aside, another thing I'm a bit bummed they left out was Yamada's revelation while being rescued that her attraction towards Kase isn't just because she was like a boy (something that my typesetter for that chapter kinda botched by using "boyish" instead of "like a boy" despite my protests). Her resolution for that scene just ended up as "I wanted to wear dat cute skirt".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Potentially broken legs aside, another thing I'm a bit bummed they left out was Yamada's revelation while being rescued that her attraction towards Kase isn't just because she was like a boy (something that my typesetter for that chapter kinda botched by using "boyish" instead of "like a boy" despite my protests). Her resolution for that scene just ended up as "I wanted to wear dat cute skirt".

You're right, taking out that bit is a loss. Just speculating, but two possible reasons: the gist of Yamada's realization (that Kase is something "completely different" than a boy) isn't completely clear in the original version, since she doesn't get a chance to go on and specify what Kase is. If the epiphany is just that "Kase looks boyish, but is actually way better than these jerky boys," we've seen that idea several times before, at least once in almost those specific words. So maybe the mangaka thought that particular snippet was disposable, paving the way for the other possible reason: staging in relation to paging.

In the original, we get a whole page of a swoony Yamada's-eye-view of Kase as the boys get read the riot act, then the next page continues that swoony view for a panel. Then Kase glances over, the boys are seen leaving, then the page ends with two panels: first Kase's reaction to Yamada's backhug, then a shot of the backhug itself.

In the revision, Yamada doesn't fade out into the land of Grooving On Kase in her head at all. The boys leave as before, and the page ends with Kase's physical reaction, then we turn the page to a reveal of a much larger picture of the actual backhug. Then the ensuing scene of Kase-lust coming to a boil due to Yamada's skinship is much more fully developed--in the original, the section from backhug to Inoue's intervention takes less than a page and a half; in the revision it takes 4 pages.

tl;dr--the original scene is cute, but a bunch more of Yamada setting Kase's body aflame with desire is even cuter.

last edited at Mar 16, 2018 2:44PM

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Finally got my hands on Vol 4. And holy crap that frontspiece.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Finally got my hands on Vol 4. And holy crap that frontspiece.

The one that makes a lie out of my "Yamada's kissing expression" post on the other Yamada/Kase topic? Oh, yeah--let's get that into the story proper.

Couple of pages should do it. Three, maybe.

joined Oct 4, 2016

So here's the thing I like about the expanded ending: It provides context for Kase-san's demand that Yamada not wear the frilly apron.

In the original, it made her seem kinda pushy and possessive. But in the new tank, we see that she's just as insecure about certain things as is Yamada. It gives her a vulnerability that she didn't have in the original, and makes her seem less like a picture-perfect girlfriend. And I think the story benefits from that.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So here's the thing I like about the expanded ending: It provides context for Kase-san's demand that Yamada not wear the frilly apron.

In the original, it made her seem kinda pushy and possessive. But in the new tank, we see that she's just as insecure about certain things as is Yamada. It gives her a vulnerability that she didn't have in the original, and makes her seem less like a picture-perfect girlfriend. And I think the story benefits from that.

Agreed, and you said clearly what I think I was struggling toward--although I wouldn't quite call Kase "pushy and possessive" in guarding her precious little strawberry drop, the whole sequence from Yamada donning the apron through the rooftop scene is less "wacky" and more consistently about both of them rather than just about Yamada and her feelings. We've seen some of Kase's insecurities before, but a WHOLE lot more of Yamada's, and the rewritten scene makes it clear that these two really are alike in significant ways.

And, hey boys--yeah, sure, Yamada's damn cute, but give it up--it's just not happening for you. Just go. Now.

joined Oct 4, 2016

Mulling it over further (as one does while driving a semi), I also like the expanded ending because it provides narrative structure to what were previously isolated instances in the story. The boys trying to buy soda for Yamada at the water park, the boys who accidentally kicked Yamada with the soccer ball, the boys on the plane, even the drunks at the airport.

Previously, they were just ways to show off how protective Kase was of her Boo. Now they have import they didn't have before. She was dealing with her insecurities in those instances, not just being Supergirlfriend.

I dig it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The boys trying to buy soda for Yamada at the water park

Kase needs a long, cool drink in that scene so bad--she's parched, I tell you, just absolutely dry as freaking dust.

Happens when you're out in the sun like that all day.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I think this is definitely one of my favorite yuri series. They are just such adorable moppets.
I really like the fact that Kase was crushing on Yamada just as hard if not harder and was just as insecure. Mutual feelings are great.

joined Feb 25, 2018

The best

joined Mar 31, 2018

Does anyone know when the next chapter comes out? I just read the whole series last night and I'm hooked. Looks like the last chapter was 4 months ago. I know the OVA comes out in next week in Japan. I need to know what happens now that their in University in Tokyo.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

C'mon, people! Share the link to see the OVA! XD

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

To be clear, the OVA was premiered in theaters, not online. However, filmgoers were offered a chance to buy the film on BD, with English subtitles included. It's just a matter of waiting for somebody to upload it.

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

To be clear, the OVA was premiered in theaters, not online. However, filmgoers were offered a chance to buy the film on BD, with English subtitles included. It's just a matter of waiting for somebody to upload it.

Offering it only to people who had already paid to see it seems a bit strange to me...

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016
Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1879513275675432&id=1517367275223369 link to the OVA-Raw version tho. No subs

Its so good
I really want buy this!

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

I just saw the new chapter translated (check it if you want to read it too) and OMG, OMG OOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG I LOVE IT, I JUST FUCK*NG LOVE IT. THIS IS THE END OF THE 5 VOLUME I WANTED. SLY, IT'S JUST TOO GOOD, TOO PURE, TOO LOVELY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I CAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'TTTTTTTTTTTTT HANDLE ITTTTTTTT YESSSSSSSS, THANK YOU HIROMI FOR REWRITING IT, YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

I just saw the new chapter translated (check it if you want to read it too) and OMG, OMG OOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGGG I LOVE IT, I JUST FUCK*NG LOVE IT. THIS IS THE END OF THE 5 VOLUME I WANTED. SLY, IT'S JUST TOO GOOD, TOO PURE, TOO LOVELY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH I CAAAAAAAAAAAAAN'TTTTTTTTTTTTT HANDLE ITTTTTTTT YESSSSSSSS, THANK YOU HIROMI FOR REWRITING IT, YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!! :D it is super good indeed!

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Thank you for sharing!! :D it is super good indeed!

I know, right? *_* I can't sly. I needed to share it.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Just watched the OVA, which has just been subbed… dunno how faithful it is to the manga, but GOD it was adorable. And visually stunning too! (then again, it's an OVA). Great attention to detail in the angles, the pauses, the little gestures… all the things that made you appreciate their relationship.

Though I'm not sure if Yamada changing her university choice just to be with Kase is really touching or really stupid on her part. Well, if said university fits her choice of career it's fine I guess…

Anyway, I'll have a smile plastered on my face for the rest of the day. =3

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

it's cute.:)

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"The Cherry Blossoms are falling"...

Aka, the end of the innocence. Our Yamada is all grown up.

I think it was worth the wait for Kase.

But it somehow spells the end of the manga.

last edited at Jun 16, 2018 12:02PM

joined Mar 25, 2013

Can a mod fix the chaptering on the page? Volume 4 is kind of messy.

Also, is 'Plant Appointee and Kase-san' chapter 6 instead of 18? Cause files I have say chapter 6.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Can a mod fix the chaptering on the page? Volume 4 is kind of messy.

Also, is 'Plant Appointee and Kase-san' chapter 6 instead of 18? Cause files I have say chapter 6.

Yeah, numbering is a nightmare since none of the chapters prior to Yamada and Kase-san have numbers. Plant Appointee was chronologically released after ch5, but didn't get included in the tanks til volume 4. Likewise, many of the other specials that got released ages ago show up in volume 5.

To reply you must either login or sign up.