Forum › Happy Sugar Life discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

The message here is "lesbians are crazy predators", and at the end of the day, Shouko's het attraction to that boy will save Shio from the clutches of the mad lezzie.

I don't really see how you've gathered that from this story.

All the heterosexual relationships we've seen (minus one) have been even more predacious. There's the woman who tied up Mitsuboshi and raped him, the teacher who cheats on his wife to prey on high school girls, whatever horrible thing happened between Shio's mom and dad, Mitsuboshi's own creepy fascination with Shio, Satou's aunt's many relationships that involve her regularly getting beaten by men, and then the empty relationships Satou and Shouko had with the many men they fucked. We've only really seen two lesbians, Satou and Suu. Satou, for all the fact that she has a kidnapped girl locked in her apartment, treats Shio far better than basically any other character treats anyone else, and Suu was the least malicious of all the crazy people Satou has dealt with so far.

I think the only way you can take "lesbians are crazy predators" as the message of this story is if you ignore literally everything about the story except the most recent chapter.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't really see how you've gathered that from this story,

In fact, I’m astounded that anybody thinks this story has a “message” at all.

It’s more like we’re sitting next to somebody at a bar who turns and says, “Hey, you want to hear something crazy?”

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It’s more like we’re sitting next to somebody at a bar who turns and says, “Hey, you want to hear something crazy?”

It's pretty much only the "density" that makes this so crazy - you could probably pick each singular "incident" and find real life occurrences that fit. Some of the fucked up stuff here isn't even rare.

But I agree, I don't think the author is particularly making any sort of comment about anything (I find that manga generally don't ^^).

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I'd agree that it doesn't feel like there's any coherent message at all. Or if there is, it's a fucking crazy message for lunatics. Like "never trust anyone" or "love turns people into psychotic murderers". Sometimes a story is just a story.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's pretty much only the "density" that makes this so crazy - you could probably pick each singular "incident" and find real life occurrences that fit. Some of the fucked up stuff here isn't even rare.

But that's just how crazy bar-type stories go: "So there was this time this thing happened, OK, but then this guy did THIS, which wouldn't have been so bad except then this friend of his girlfriend did THAT, and then the cops came, but they just said THIS, meanwhile, this weird neighbor . . . "

And before you know it you're hiding a lost child in your flat with a bunch of garbage bags in the next room smelling of decomp.

Or so it seems.

joined Aug 19, 2012

Can someone spoil me the latest raw? Couldn’t decipher much with my bad chinese but is the flashback character her aunt or is that shiro mom?

Also who is suu again?

last edited at May 22, 2018 12:38AM

joined May 22, 2018

Can someone spoil me the latest raw? Couldn’t decipher much with my bad chinese but is the flashback character her aunt or is that shiro mom?

Also who is suu again?

I could help translate for you, am fluent-ish in Chinese.

Do you have a link to the raws/chinese-translated raws?

last edited at May 22, 2018 2:47AM

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Damn that was a really intense chapter but it was nice seeing things from Shio's perspective again.
So I'm guessing that the mother is not around because......

Also wow it's getting it's own anime adaption I never really would have guessed. Well I just hope the soundtrack is just non stop Glenn Branca
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4HoNeIWu2M

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Satou got hit hard by Shouko’s death. I feel like at this point Satou is the one who valued their friendship more than Shouko was.

I means.. Satou is crazy. But normally she didn’t even bat an eye when it comes to killing people. This time though, she is depressed

last edited at May 22, 2018 4:25AM

Download%20(11)
joined Jan 27, 2016

Apparently this shit got an anime announcement.

Pls god no

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Apparently this shit got an anime announcement.

Pls god no

Yeah that'd be bad to have an adaptation of an horror story :(

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It's an entire slot in a season wasted that could have been yet another generic harem anime! What where they thinking?!

(tbh I don't think this'll work as an anime, but whatever)

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

It's an entire slot in a season wasted that could have been yet another generic harem anime! What where they thinking?!

(tbh I don't think this'll work as an anime, but whatever)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI1vncW9tO4

We shall see how well the madness translates into anime form...

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Ahh Satou is feeling bad for killing someone! what a novelty!! I like that, she's not totally deranged then!!

joined Aug 19, 2012

Also who is suu again?

https://m.dmzj.com/info/21300.html

There’s another better site I usually use will add later tonight

SomethingOrOther
joined May 15, 2018

I have not read the manga, but do people actually like this? Just a small summary of it rose 101 red flags for me

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I have not read the manga, but do people actually like this? Just a small summary of it rose 101 red flags for me

It's something you need to experience for yourself. Just reading the first chapter is a better introduction than anything anyone could tell you. I personally really like it, but I don't think I could tell you why. It's so bizarre it's impossible to take seriously, but I still find myself emotionally invested in the characters for some reason.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s an extreme “bad behavior” story for sure. I wouldn’t call it “pleasant,” but it’s so over-the-top that it’s hard to take very seriously, and it’s built on such a weird scenario that I’m interested in seeing how it works out.

EDIT: Should have refreshed before posting: what schuyguy said.

last edited at May 23, 2018 10:24PM

joined May 22, 2018

Also who is suu again?

https://m.dmzj.com/info/21300.html

There’s another better site I usually use will add later tonight

If it's 29 you're referring to, it isn't the latest raw (the latest is 36).

But to answer your original question, the girl is Shio's mother.

A basic synopsis would be this:
Shio's mother is pregnant. She is forced into marriage with her abusive boyfriend. She breaks down. It's implied she was raped by him again after giving birth to Asahi.

So yeah, it's pretty miserable.

And Suu is Satou's friend from way way back when it's revealed she's a yandere for Satou. Satou had to seduce her to keep her from prying into her personal life and it breaks Satou.

last edited at May 24, 2018 1:55AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

A basic synopsis would be this:
Shio's mother is pregnant. She is forced into marriage with her abusive boyfriend. She breaks down. It's implied she was raped by him again after giving birth to Asahi.

So yeah, it's pretty miserable.

And Suu is Satou's friend from way way back when it's revealed she's a yandere for Satou. Satou had to seduce her to keep her from prying into her personal life and it breaks Satou.

I'd correct and expand your synopsis like this: Shio's mother is raped by a stranger while in high school. She gets pregnant. Eventually she tells her parents, and they confront the guy and his father. At the urging of his father, her parents pressure her into getting married to him. Her parents and father-in-law want to avoid any scandal, and the father-in-law, who is wealthy, pays for her to live by herself. Her parents barely talk to her for years. It gets worse after that.

Also, seducing Suu wasn't what "broke" Satou. Saying "I love you" to Suu upset her enough that she felt the need to wash her mouth out afterwards ("such a filthy lie"), but what "broke" her was that when she got home, Shio was in a bad condition. Satou, being Satou, thought that this was divine punishment for her telling Suu she loved her, though it was actually a result of something completely unrelated.

__kasodani_kyouko_touhou_drawn_by_uguisu_mochi_ykss35__6c703c362e7ad06d13079154bccd4fae
joined Jul 11, 2017

Ho my gawd! An anime you say? Hopefully at least 2 seasons

MegaWallflower
Capture
joined Sep 22, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/happy_sugar_life_ch23#14

I didn't notice the first time around, but it's really interesting that Shouko's face isn't once scribble on. It's always covered by another picture of just out of frame entirely. Satou must have had pretty complex feelings about Shouko if she was the one aspect of outside life she couldn't freely mark off.

I mean. She has now but still.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

... suddenly, a flood of psychopath loli murderer chapters.

This be a good day.

Perfect_human
joined Jan 16, 2017

wowie i totally forgot this series. looks like someone else did too with these bulk uploads

joined Dec 10, 2017

Thanks so much for all these translations!

To reply you must either login or sign up.