Forum › Citrus discussion

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Something I don't understand in this manga is why people don't talk like normal people. Even the way that Sara talked to Yuzu about Mei, in a way it's up to interpretation, nothing is directly said. I find it so frustrating. It ends up coming off as fake and meant to produce drama and the impression of complexity where there isn't any.

I can really empathize with Matsuri, the only person in this series who says it as it is and seems WTF-ed lol Pretty sure she is meant to represent the readers. And now even she is numb to this whole situation thanks to Harumi "my bff was depressed for 8 months but I don't give a sh*t" Taniguchi.

last edited at May 21, 2018 11:28PM

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Do not use the translation as a way to judge the author’s wording and the characters’ speech pattern. There is a gap, and it is normal. Sara’s way to talk isn’t really strange in Japanese. More the contrary, she is very direct and pushy but stays polite (cause Japanese do not ask private questions directly) in her way to help Yuzu to open up or to enquire about Mei.

Edit : concerning Harumi, i am not surprised and i wonder why people are so disappointed by her behavior. Entire volume 5 shows Harumi to avoid conflict and complications about other’s affairs, including friends. All 4 chapters, she tries to convince Yuzu to stay discret, to fit in the mould at school and to tone down her desires of individuality. So she is very in character here... maybe before a change of mind.

last edited at May 21, 2018 11:44PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

GREAT! It seems Yuzu once again is going to be the one to go beyond and try to solve the problem! i wonder if Mei will do fucking something this time around? I really hope she does for the sake of her character development, because at this point, ts getting really tiring that Yuzu is always the one to seek her out.

Yeah, i really hope that Saburouta gives some redeeming qualities to Mei, otherwise her character gets more and more frustrating with each chapter.

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Oh, boy, is she gonna come out to mom? Is it happening?

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

I am not sure of that, because she would risk Mei's situation. I don't see Yuzu coming out without Mei, they have to do that together. She talks about asking an advice to Ume, so more an indirect way to strengthen her conviction whatever idea popped into her mind during her sleep. About Mei feeling forced to marry, about the wish to stop someone you love from doing a huge mistake, about pursuing love at any prices ...

But, a coming out would be indeed a memorable event into the manga... or the next chapter could also open on another character and we wouldn't have the conversation's content until another chapter or the end of chapter 39. The author already used this postponed revelation of an important speech cut out ... So many options, so many assumptions ...

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Didn't Yuzu already come out during vol5? I was always confused by the different translation, but she said the person she loved was in the school... So was she talking about romantic love at that moment or about the one she loved?

I'm hoping for an heart to heart discussion, maybe an involuntary coming out. But I guess I won't be disappointed because Ume is the real best girl of the manga.

joined Feb 18, 2018

Do not use the translation as a way to judge the author’s wording and the characters’ speech pattern. There is a gap, and it is normal. Sara’s way to talk isn’t really strange in Japanese. More the contrary, she is very direct and pushy but stays polite (cause Japanese do not ask private questions directly) in her way to help Yuzu to open up or to enquire about Mei.

Yeah so I gathered it's a mix of translations and cultural differences most likely. Doesn't mean it's not frustrating though lol Because the conversations could go much more in-depth but instead its like, we the readers wait all this time just for dialogue breadcrumbs that never directly address any issues.

Edit : concerning Harumi, i am not surprised and i wonder why people are so disappointed by her behavior. Entire volume 5 shows Harumi to avoid conflict and complications about other’s affairs, including friends. All 4 chapters, she tries to convince Yuzu to stay discret, to fit in the mould at school and to tone down her desires of individuality. So she is very in character here... maybe before a change of mind.

I'm not surprised about Harumin doing nothing and effectively preventing Matsuri to take action...but for me this just goes to show she isn't that good of a friend, and I hope she has a purpose in the story by the end of the manga. Sara's simple questions about Yuzu's well-being, on the other hand, improved Yuzu's situation in just 1 day.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Didn't Yuzu already come out during vol5? I was always confused by the different translation, but she said the person she loved was in the school... So was she talking about romantic love at that moment or about the one she loved?

I'm hoping for an heart to heart discussion, maybe an involuntary coming out. But I guess I won't be disappointed because Ume is the real best girl of the manga.

In fact, she said she was at school because of love, but it didn't clearly imply that the lover was at the Academy. The translation nailed it, "I am a high school girl because of love, for a love affair" in the sense her motivation to be a good student is love (romantic love in her wording) when the other girls wants to be in a good university. Yuzu wanted to say that her "significant other" "her special someone" (she never states the gender of the lover and it never indicates if she/he is another student here or anywhere else ) inspired her, praised her hence her proudness to affirm her feminity.

In Yuzu's mind, in volume 6, when she's paranoid about other people's opinions, she believes that others students are aware she came out. But, in fact, they are clueless.

Indeed, I would like a badass Ume or at least see Ume really support Yuzu. We saw that she's worried and sorry about Yuzu's moodiness and depression, but she didn't seem to have acted yet. That would be fun, and the author like to use comedic relief if she said to Yuzu she knew all along and it was time to take back Mei.

@matsuri_wins : yes, I like to think that Harumi poor-spirited behavior here has a purpose to finally make her act. Each character has walls they need to destroy, Mei must believe she's allowed to act accordingly to her real wishes, Harumi must believe that meddling and confronting friends in despair is needed. They have good intentions but don't see that it doesn't lead them on a good path. Sara is a special case, she's pushy, she doesn't shy about asking people things and calling them out, but contrary to Matsuri, she does that with a real tact. She confronted Mei during the date, she comforted Yuzu in volume 5 and gave her some fighting spirit to express her feelings, and she's helping here too.

The author talked about expanding Harumi's background. She tweeted that Harumi's family was very frightening and was made up of very manipulative persons (not only Mitsuko). So i guess, the author has something in store for Harumi and that her frustrating behavior will be explained and overcame.

last edited at May 22, 2018 1:11PM

CaioGuedesAUT
Arqxpgpd_700w_0
joined Apr 2, 2018

Another chapter in this story is definitely nearing the final. Yuzu had the courage to open his heart about the situation surrounding his love relationship with Mei. But that scene was the one that saddled me most in comparison to what happened that time in Chapter 36. It's to make anyone feel the same pain as her: "I don't know... What to do more..." (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/citrus_ch38#30). And in the end, Yuzu decides to tell his mother the whole truth about his love for Mei, in which no one suspected until the present moment. How will she react? We hope very soon that the two protagonists of this story will be able to reconcile and reach a happy ending.

Despite the very difficult phase that the story is going through, I bring you good news: the publication of the "Citrus" manga here in Brazil by NewPop Editora has been confirmed, after many insistences from the Brazilian fans of the series: (https://www.facebook.com/editoraNewPOP/photos/a.382923155071755.94911.176604269036979/1893019210728801/?type=3&theater). For now, the release date is not yet defined, but we look forward to the arrival of the "Citrus" manga in Brazilian lands. The series has won a lot of fans around here and a great nationally acclaimed success, thanks to the simultaneous display of the anime by Crunchyroll.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The author talked about expanding Harumi's background. She tweeted that Harumi's family was very frightening and was made up of very manipulative persons (not only Mitsuko).

Yeah, by starting with the boisterous Yuzu as our POV character and the unconventional familial setup of her household, it's easy to push into the background the fact that most of the characters in the story (the ones whose families we know about, anyway) are at least as hemmed in and paralyzed by familial and societal expectations as Mei is (or even worse, in the case of Shirapon, who we learn is forbidden to ever even laugh).

At least Mei has aspirations of having a professional career rather than serving as an ornament to a rich husband's family.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

What you are asking is a complete rereading of the manga in Japanese with spotting multiple examples to see if what you feel has more or less basis. For a perfect native Japanese mastering English, it would be doable without many efforts (but it would still need some work). For me, who doesn’t master Japanese totally, it would be a serious huge work to do. Easier to answer about a scene or a precise page of the manga. To avoid doing mistakes. And the author uses sometimes hard kanjis scenes that require a real effort. Except, once again for someone with a real degree of mastery in Japanese and English. So taking a good amount of time to do the deep analysis you require would be fine if I didn’t work and had free time. And I don’t have a special authority... far from it, just the wish to defend the manga’s writing from quick judgments.

The author like to be referential about other cultural contents from the manga universe, the author likes to use echoes (and the translation is enough to see some of them), the author uses many foreshadowing that any serious reader can spot in English when rereading the manga, she likes to uses mise en abyme (self insertion...) and is also self critical .... all of that can be seen in the translation (I could also point out some examples, but I am not all so mighty and I like to think that people here already read the full manga once and remember what they read and they like to exhange about their interpretation more than having someone who does a full analysys point per point and quote as fast as Calimity Jane to impose their idea).

From my point of view, I find it interesting and sometimes admirable.... and I don’t understand some readers’ attacks about her work like « lol shitty plot, lol stupid characters, lol retarded writing ».

And about what was tweeted, readers can check the author account. The tweet in question was written after episode 3 or 4: each week the author made a kind of light review of the previous episode. But I like to think that I don’t need to quote and link each source in a simple forum discussion about a manga... except if people here think everybody is lying.

And I think you underestimate readers capacity to search precise insights. My point was just to say the author is subtler than what people think. But it is’just Citrus, you already made your interpretation of her work and the author’s notes about rereading the story to see new things or reaffirming her wish to stay stronger and healthy to write the manga.

If the above question (posed earlier) is clear--again, about the "echoes"/quoted aspects, is that something that could be tackled in a couple of sentences or paragraphs with examples (off the top of your head)?

So no, analyzing the echoes I talked about wouldn't be done in just in a "couple" of sentences. The fact I didn't answer to your post about this matter just one day after it doesn't mean I wouldn't give insight but reading your post ... I don’t know how to interpret your it... some implicit attack out of frustration that I don’t do the examples listing and checking you wanted as quickjly as you want it? So, I will let it slide.

last edited at May 23, 2018 2:24AM

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maybe I misunderstood you but you also misread some of my comments, because there isn't any condescension from my side. So, if you think that some of your posts or comments were wrongly judged or interpreted, fair point but don't do the same to others, you are also wrongly judgemental about some of my posts.

Yes, English is my third language, probably the reason that I can be confusing and cannot fully use the precise word to express my thought, I am lost in translation myself and it's frustrating. But, I don't feel debating with someone who is in attack mode and sneaks some innuendos especially when I tried to carefully read you, and reread you when some others made fun of your posts' verbosity.

About the notes of the author, you linked these precise notes in one of your posts.

last edited at May 23, 2018 3:00AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This conversation about Citrus here often takes weird turns, but this is certainly one of the weirdest.

Nismy, I find most of your posts to be admirably clear, precise, specific, and on-topic; you have nothing to apologize for about your language usage.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Thank you, at least I am happy if I am clear.

matsuri_wins
joined Feb 18, 2018

Nimsy, I agree with Blastaar above, even if we are always disagreeing (well this is a forum after all) and I have been on the "lol shitty dialogue" before your explanations, they have been great. Please keep it up.

joined May 23, 2018

Im so stoked man i love this series!!!

SomethingOrOther
joined May 15, 2018

Y'all are too much.

C1147d3190ae4c0815cc862bce35952975d3857e072e7b6bef6e34b56d95dd83
joined Nov 12, 2017

holY SHIT IS THAT GENUINE COMMUNICATION FINALLY!?!?

joined Apr 17, 2016

OMG this chapter made me cry again!!!!!!! What is with this series and all the God damn feels!!!!! But I'm really happy that Yuzu finally let it out; also it is great that she told it to Sara and Nina. I think they were great characters to help Yuzu. But what do you guys think that Yuzu is going to ask her Mom?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm scared that something is going to happen to Yuzu or Mei since we haven't seen her in a while. I'm really wondering what is going on with Mei.
Also I have been reading alot of the comments just to be curious, but I noticed that there is a lot of hate towards Mei. That her character is being really selfish and that she should do something for Yuzu. Just to be the devil's advocate, I think that Mei is making progress but not huge leaps like how Yuzu does. Yuzu's character has always been the outgoing type and that she sees things in only black and white. Only in recent issues do I see that Yuzu is understanding that there is alot of gray area and being who she is, even through it comes from a place of true love, might not be effort. For Mei she is the opposite; her family has groomed her into being the perfect child and even she believed that it was needed for her to keep true intentions secret. I have seen her make great strides from how she was in the beginning of the series to where she is now. The Mei that suggested having a kiss a day would have never crossed the mind of the Mei in the beginning. I think that Mei does love Yuzu and maybe even more so to some degree, but she is still fearful of what people might think of her (i.e Grandfather) and how her whole destiny will shift into the unknown. I hope that Saburato writes Mei's change, that it will show that Mei is going to be confident effort to follow Yuzu and to open her heart completely.

last edited at May 27, 2018 6:34AM

reanimatedpeasants
B
joined May 25, 2013

I seriously appreciate that the updates keeps coming in, I try and check every month to see if theres a new chapter. Cant wait for the next one!

joined Sep 25, 2015

Just caught up today after the notebook chapter.
I was kinda hoping Yuzu to become depressed and commit suicide lol. It would have been dark but still hilarious.

joined May 21, 2018

I think if someone commits suicide, it will be Mei. For she is the one being forced to marry a guy she didn't love.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Because suicide is easier than saying "no" ?

joined Apr 11, 2018

OMG this chapter made me cry again!!!!!!! What is with this series and all the God damn feels!!!!! But I'm really happy that Yuzu finally let it out; also it is great that she told it to Sara and Nina. I think they were great characters to help Yuzu. But what do you guys think that Yuzu is going to ask her Mom?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm scared that something is going to happen to Yuzu or Mei since we haven't seen her in a while. I'm really wondering what is going on with Mei.
Also I have been reading alot of the comments just to be curious, but I noticed that there is a lot of hate towards Mei. That her character is being really selfish and that she should do something for Yuzu. Just to be the devil's advocate, I think that Mei is making progress but not huge leaps like how Yuzu does. Yuzu's character has always been the outgoing type and that she sees things in only black and white. Only in recent issues do I see that Yuzu is understanding that there is alot of gray area and being who she is, even through it comes from a place of true love, might not be effort. For Mei she is the opposite; her family has groomed her into being the perfect child and even she believed that it was needed for her to keep true intentions secret. I have seen her make great strides from how she was in the beginning of the series to where she is now. The Mei that suggested having a kiss a day would have never crossed the mind of the Mei in the beginning. I think that Mei does love Yuzu and maybe even more so to some degree, but she is still fearful of what people might think of her (i.e Grandfather) and how her whole destiny will shift into the unknown. I hope that Saburato writes Mei's change, that it will show that Mei is going to be confident effort to follow Yuzu and to open her heart completely.

I cried too. I hope so too.

joined Jun 11, 2018

Hello i am a big fan of citrus
and went through it in a couple of days and wanted to know if it was still being made or if this was the end pls let me know

last edited at Jun 12, 2018 10:31PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.