Forum › Amanchu! discussion

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

Oh wow. Thank goodness, I didn't invest on this series, or it will be a heart breaking moment, nevertheless if confirmed it will be really disappointing. I don't know why but this topic made me want to listen to this breakup song lol.

joined Dec 4, 2016

Lol throw your yuri google now, you don't need it anymore. It's confirmed it was all fake.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Oh no.... a story with a subtext tag doesn't turn into plain yuri? how could they? must be crap...

/s

joined Feb 21, 2018

No, its crap because its yuri bait up until the author got sick of fans shipping her characters so she had one turn homophobic stating girls can't love girls and the other one accepting a marriage proposal from a 13 year old on their first date.

Not to mention the whole dream warrior and Peter pan stories being crap in general.

last edited at Apr 11, 2018 3:07PM

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

I knew the series was never going to be actual yuri, so as long as the anime never adapts that part, I'll live on the subtext and my own interpretation, as usual. It worked for Euphonium (once I jumped ship to KumikoxAsuka, anyway), it'll work here.

joined May 10, 2015

Thats dissapointing to know, better not bother with the first season then.

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

Fifty-nine has ruin the little subtext left in this manga!
God Dammit! Should it be time to drop it?

joined Dec 4, 2016

I knew the series was never going to be actual yuri, so as long as the anime never adapts that part, I'll live on the subtext and my own interpretation, as usual. It worked for Euphonium (once I jumped ship to KumikoxAsuka, anyway), it'll work here.

What's already said, it just deny what the little subtext exist. Call it subtext bait.

Monkey D. Luffy
Fb_img_1542458579509
joined Jan 11, 2018

Lily Maria will not ever like this!

13164189_1038285312906628_8689400332772314133_n
joined Jun 30, 2016

Err... really? i... i don't understand.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Lily Maria will not ever like this!

Lily Maria would fix the manga in an heartbeat. She can spirit away those pesky dudes like no tomorrow.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Yuri bait is starting to feel like one of those terms that are so overused that they are fast losing any meaning they might have once had. Some of you need to rein in your headcanons a bit methinks.

That said, it is perfectly okay to be disappointed if story beats are not to your liking of course. I for one continue to enjoy this series though. While not quite on the same level, at its best it reaches the same blissful feeling that Aria gives me.

Were people upset that Aria did not have yuri by the way? Amanchu I can see, but I do not remember any "baiting" in Aria. The love between Akari and Alicia was certainly not portrayed as romantic in nature.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

But Akari was never portrayed romantically with anyone and that's why it was enjoyable as slice of life/seinen story ... It was never a love history and I doubt anyone wanted that, just like with Amanchu.

One of Akari's friend had a crush with a boy but that was established very early... Then again, I wasn't around during the time Aria was serialized.

It is sad to drop the manga at this point because of the sudden change in direction but that shows how bad it was handled.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

But Akari was never portrayed romantically with anyone and that's why it was enjoyable as slice of life/seinen story ... It was never a love history and I doubt anyone wanted that, just like with Amanchu.

One of Akari's friend had a crush with a boy but that was established very early... Then again, I wasn't around during the time Aria was serialized.

It is sad to drop the manga at this point because of the sudden change in direction but that shows how bad it was handled.

I was just discussing that. Other than Aika and Al's relationship,which was largely presented in a very low-key way, Akatsuki's obsession with Alicia, and President Aria's unsuccessful courting of President Hime, there were zero on-screen romances or even close to romance among the main cast. Alicia's marriage doesn't count since that literally came out of nowhere at the very end, mainly as a device for Akari to take over the business. There wasn't even subtext that I could find, and believe me I looked for it.

I suspect in the case of Amanchu, the author wanted to do more of that idealized "close female friendship" stuff and took it into subtext territory without even meaning to, and got blindsided by people shipping the characters.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

What bothers me is how she makes it clear the way they feel about Pikari is the same with the only difference being their gender, so that's changes everything.
There was more sensible ways to do it. This way it just looks like she was really trying to offend people. Also, close friendship is fine, but close friends don't look deep in each other's eyes and says "I love you". If an author don't want people shipping their character, just don't write them as a romantic couple.

And I never saw any subtext in Aria, so I know she could do it feel more natural.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I suppose it depends on what you feel the direction was before, it really does not seem like an implausible development to me. The execution is debatable however.

I suspect in the case of Amanchu, the author wanted to do more of that idealized "close female friendship" stuff and took it into subtext territory without even meaning to, and got blindsided by people shipping the characters.

Sounds about right.

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

So it looks Amano is pulling the same shit she did with Aria: ramp up the subtext between female characters, only to drop a 16 ton weight on top of it when she feels she might have gone too far. And anybody who says there is no yuri subtext om Aria really hasn't been paying attention. There's Aika's obvious crush on Alicia until Amano incomprehensibly starts shipping her with that creep Al, and Akari and Alicia have more than their share of hand-holdy touchy blushy moments. Anybody remember the the Arietta OVA? I rest my case.

Of course, it's much worse in this series because the subtext really straight crossed into text on numerous occasions. Amano had Hikari and Futaba hold hands and look into each other's eyes at such regular intervals that they would have been be labeled a "designated couple" pretty quickly had they been opposite genders. And then there's the anime, where Hikari outright confesses to Futaba. Really, what did Amano think would happen?

Of course, this may not even be her fault anyway. Maybe her publisher/editor reigned her in, so that line about Futaba's love for Hikari being different than Kokoro's because she is a girl was not completely her own idea. Still, it still doesn't take away from that line's homophobic undertones.

In any case, I am pretty much done with this one. This makes me a bit sad, since I have been following it since it started, and I even went to Ito to see the locations from the manga. Well, life goes on.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Aika admires Alicia, so much so that she wants to BE Alicia. Her main character arc revolves around getting past that adoration and finding her own identity. Seeing that as yuri subtext is some major reaching. Aika also continued to admire Alicia while her crush to "creep" Al was already established.

As for Akari and Alicia, I know hand-holding is a big meme here, one I have partaken in even, but it does in fact not automatically signify romantic love. Shockingly, love other than the romantic kind actually exists. Even including the Arrietta OVA, an episode I love by the way, I am not buying into that ship. Yes they love each other. No they are not in love.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Really, I just feel like the author realized people shipped them, and decided to try to 'fix' this on way or another. I think that why it's pretty upsetting, it just feels targeted at people who shipped her characters.

And I don't what were her intent concerning the MC relationship, but if we were supposed to not see any subtext, she kinda failed spectacularly.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Or maybe she was influenced by actual subtext mangas without realizing what they mean. Maybe she never had much female friends and take her inspiration for manga, I don't know. It's clearly unnatural and I doubt she was trying to bait anyone.
Like some conservative author reading Nettagyo, not realizing what the scenes are implying and just copying the style on their own works.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

No, its crap because its yuri bait up until the author got sick of fans shipping her characters so she had one turn homophobic stating girls can't love girls and the other one accepting a marriage proposal from a 13 year old on their first date.

Not to mention the whole dream warrior and Peter pan stories being crap in general.

So you made up a ship, that's only subtext and get pissed when It doesn't turn out to be yuri.

And regarding the "Peter Pan" arc - that's your opinion others may vary. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's crap. I liked it (which in turn doesn't mean it's good or others have to like it).

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Morgan posted:

So you made up a ship, that's only subtext and get pissed when It doesn't turn out to be yuri.

Yea, because subtext is when 1 of characters in that ship herself admits she likes other girl, but she can't possibly be loving her romantically because they are both girls, and there is that boy that just showed up and since he is a boy he obviously loves her, unlike she, so she will root for him instead. Totally made up.

As was pointed out, the fact it didn't go yuri isn't a issue in on itself. The fact author seems to go out of their way to say "this couldn't possibly ever happen, they are both girls. Here I'll even give her a guy to show you how much it couldn't happen." is other.

Also that she only came to that conclusion after she realized he was a boy. As if it suddenly made sense. When she thought he was a girl it was possible they had the same feelings, but now that he is a guy, it is so clear their feelings can't be the same. Her are obviously platonic and his are romantic.

last edited at Apr 16, 2018 2:38PM

joined Dec 4, 2016

I mean just how likeable it is character like crosdressing boy that dropped from nowhere not even het shipper like him, what's even the purpose? Pure and beautiful friendship nonsense is too unrealistic.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Honestly, knowing this author's works, I never expected it to go beyond subtext -- some underlying feelings which never quite come to bloom. But the anime has really been playing up the yuri-esque aspects of their relationship. Kind of startling how overt the signals there have gotten.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

lmao Yuri is dead.

To reply you must either login or sign up.