Forum › Amanchu! discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I don't think you even remotely understand what the term "homophobic" even means.

Pretty sure stating that a person's love is different depending on their gender is pretty damn homophobic.

Not even close. I have been on the receiving end of homophobia and I don't know what sort of idyllic, sugar coated fantasy world you come from, but this is light years from that.

The worst you could accuse the character of is being a strait girl that is slightly presumptuous in assuming that male she is talking to is heterosexual and attracted to her friend. All she is trying to say to him is she believes the way they feel towards Pikari is different because in her case she is not sexually attracted to her.

This is just how people talk it has nothing to do with Teko or the author hating on gay people. She is a very shy girl so it would be completely out of character for her to say something like, "The way we feel about Pikar is different because you are sexually attracted to her and I am not." Also keep in mind the context which is that she is trying to explain sexual feelings to a kid.

last edited at Sep 13, 2018 11:05AM

joined Jul 19, 2018

Not even close. I have been on the receiving end of homophobia and I don't know what sort of idyllic, sugar coated fantasy world you come from, but this is light years from that.

Sorry to be the one to inform you but there are different levels of homophobia, just like there are different levels of racism. Beating a gay man to death is homophobic, sending your gay child to a conversion camp is homophobic, calling the butch girl in class a dyke is homophobic, telling a child that girls cant love girls is homophobic. All on different levels but all are still homophobic.

The worst you could accuse the character of is being a strait girl that is slightly presumptuous in assuming that male she is talking to is heterosexual and attracted to her friend. All she is trying to say to him is she believes the way they feel towards Pikari is different because in her case she is not sexually attracted to her.

You really lack the context of the scene. The kid is the one accusing Teko of being romantically attracted to Pikari. Teko doesn't retort with an understandable "I don't like girls." She instead explains that since he is a boy and she is a girl that their love for Pikari is different. The implication is that girls can't love girls. If it wasn't then bringing up the fact that he is a boy would be irrelelvent, it assumes that if he were a she then his love wouldn't be romantic. His gender reveal redefined his attraction to Pikari.

This is just how people talk it has nothing to do with Teko or the author hating on gay people. She is a very shy girl so it would be completely out of character for her to say something like, "The way we feel about Pikar is different because you are sexually attracted to her and I am not." Also keep in mind the context which is that she is trying to explain sexual feelings to a kid.

Yes, it has everything to do with the author hating on gay people. She went out of her way to add a male love interest and kill off all subtext between Teko and Pikari. The entire point of this scene is to show that girls can't love girls, that a persons gender defines their love and not who they are as a person. And I got to love how you treat it like he is just a kid with a crush when he becomes Pikari's boyfriend not long after. Funny how you think he has to be treated like a kid to be explained the birds and the bees but the author doesn't do the same when his 16 year old girlfriend accepts his marriage proposal.

No, you are presumptuous in believing I lacked awareness of the context of the scene. I have watched this entire anime and read the manga. I am fully aware of what was going on in this scene. If the author wants to make it clear that one of characters isn't gay that's completely fine. That has nothing to do with hating gay people. It's her story and her characters and she is free to do as she pleases with them.

If she had had Teko say something like," Of course the way I feel about Pikari is different from you because I am a girl and girl's romantically liking other girls is gross and wrong" that would be homophobic. Simply implying that she is strait through an innocuous line of dialogue is not.

From what I can tell, the author probably was likely initially writing intentional lesbian subtext into her story because some of it is pretty on the nose, and for one reason or another she got pressured to stop doing that perhaps either due fan responses or somebody higher up with her publisher decided that lesbian love stories don't fit the publications image and target demographic. Monthly Comic Blade is a shounen magazine so I can see how she might get asked by her editor to either add a male love interest and or put an end to the lesbian subtext. I have never seen anything said or written by Kozue Amano to suggest she hates gay people.

I don't see where some of the people on this forum get this whole, "It's heterosexual, quick burn it with fire" mentality. Seriously, that's the sort of crap you expect to hear from a bunch of intolerant bigots at a KKK rally when somebody spots a gay person or a black guy. It's not the sort of behavior I would expect from a strongly lgbt community full of people who know what it is like to be discriminated against.

Edit: I should probably add that your comment itself didn't really warrant my rant. It was more like the straw the broke the camels back in that it was the last in a long string of comments by people flaming content creators over harmless creative decisions they make for their work. Just because a creator sinks your favorite lgbt ship doesn't mean they should be called bigots or homophobes. Mangaka and other famous artists are people with feelings too and should be treated as such. I really liked Pikari x Teko too, but it doesn't make it ok to flame the poor mangaka just because she took her story a different direction.

last edited at Sep 14, 2018 5:51AM

Ve_honoka
joined Sep 8, 2018

"It's heterosexual, quick burn it with fire" mentality.

the author probably was likely initially writing intentional lesbian subtext into her story because some of it is pretty on the nose, and for one reason or another she got pressured to stop doing that

While I haven't read this myself (still on my "to read" list), I think in this case the critique isn't just because of het. I agree with you about the statement in question not being openly insulting. But after reading a story containing obvious subtext, many readers may have been expecting it to continue with subtext to the end (or even hoping for yuri), so their evaluation of this dialogue takes into account that this character is (according to their own expectations) basically having a yuri crush. And if that is your understanding of the character, then her statement becomes a negation of her feelings because of her gender.

Again, I haven't read it yet, so this is my understanding of this manga's state based on your own and other comments, I hope I am not too far off.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Looking East posted:

From what I can tell, the author probably was likely initially writing intentional lesbian subtext into her story because some of it is pretty on the nose, and for one reason or another she got pressured to stop doing that perhaps either due fan responses or somebody higher up with her publisher decided that lesbian love stories don't fit the publications image and target demographic.

From what people said, it was that she didn't mean it to be subtext and didn't like people seeing it as such, so she made sure people won't be able to ship those character anymore. Even if she had to ruin the story by introducing totally artificial and unnatural romance that came out of nowhere. Especially since after knowing each other for like few days/weeks the guy proposes and girl accepts. If she really was forced to do it, then fine. But if she really went out of her way to kill a ship, because she disliked people even considering that option, I'm sure you can see why it would piss so many people?

last edited at Sep 14, 2018 9:48AM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013
joined Jul 19, 2018

No, you are presumptuous in believing I lacked awareness of the context of the scene. I have watched this entire anime and read the manga. I am fully aware of what was going on in this scene. If the author wants to make it clear that one of characters isn't gay that's completely fine. That has nothing to do with hating gay people. It's her story and her characters and she is free to do as she pleases with them.

If you have read it then why did you misrepresent it? And she has seen fit to make absolutely sure that this character not only explain that she isn't gay but that she isn't even aware that gay people exist in their world. Love is dependant on gender according to her.

If she had had Teko say something like," Of course the way I feel about Pikari is different from you because I am a girl and girl's romantically liking other girls is gross and wrong" that would be homophobic. Simply implying that she is strait through an innocuous line of dialogue is not.

No, that's not what she did. She didn't explain that she was straight, she explained that love is different depending on a persons gender. She explained that because she is a girl she can't love another girl, not because she was straight. She thought the same for the kid, but because she found out he was actually a boy his love can only now be romantic when before it was super friendship.

From what I can tell, the author probably was likely initially writing intentional lesbian subtext into her story because some of it is pretty on the nose, and for one reason or another she got pressured to stop doing that perhaps either due fan responses or somebody higher up with her publisher decided that lesbian love stories don't fit the publications image and target demographic. Monthly Comic Blade is a shounen magazine so I can see how she might get asked by her editor to either add a male love interest and or put an end to the lesbian subtext. I have never seen anything said or written by Kozue Amano to suggest she hates gay people.

Except when she added a male love interest and made her characters explain that girls can't love girls in order to kill the subtext. And talk about presumptuous trying to pin it on the editor, where you have far less evidence to make the claim. They didn't just wean off the subtext, they went staight for the juguler.

I don't see where some of the people on this forum get this whole, "It's heterosexual, quick burn it with fire" mentality. Seriously, that's the sort of crap you expect to hear from a bunch of intolerant bigots at a KKK rally when somebody spots a gay person or a black guy. It's not the sort of behavior I would expect from a strongly lgbt community full of people who know what it is like to be discriminated against.

It's a website that mainly hosts yuri content and you can't see why they don't want to see a heavy subtext yuri series turn into a het romance between a teenager and a preteen trap? Really?

Edit: I should probably add that your comment itself didn't really warrant my rant. It was more like the straw the broke the camels back in that it was the last in a long string of comments by people flaming content creators over harmless creative decisions they make for their work. Just because a creator sinks your favorite lgbt ship doesn't mean they should be called bigots or homophobes. Mangaka and other famous artists are people with feelings too and should be treated as such. I really liked Pikari x Teko too, but it doesn't make it ok to flame the poor mangaka just because she took her story a different direction.

And I think otherwise. When a mangaka goes out of their way to intentionally kill off the yuri subtext in favor of shotacon trap romance then they need to be called out for their dumb decisions. If they want to shove in their anti-lgbt story line then they need to be flamed for the bigots that they are.

You completely missed my point.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

RIP!!!!
https://img.fireden.net/a/image/1529/25/1529255295609.png

You've reposted this three times already, can you stop.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

RIP!!!!
https://img.fireden.net/a/image/1529/25/1529255295609.png

You've reposted this three times already, can you stop.

Your avatar fits perfectly to this comment

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016
Maxresdefault2
joined Jan 31, 2018

Well, I'm glad I didn't start the manga, glad there's this discussion thingy or I'd have fallen right into it at some point. I haven't even watched season 2. I guess I'll just stay with my fond memories of Season 1.

Azusa_aizawa_ln_mugshot
joined Apr 22, 2018

I saw season 1 of Amanchu but not yet see season 2. I gonna read manga but seem I will stop after know it is bait. And I really hate that.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The ending of the manga was announced to come soon, but yeah I'm not giving this a second chance after what the author did and how she did it, felt really forced.

Ava3
joined Jun 4, 2016

The ending of the manga was announced to come soon, but yeah I'm not giving this a second chance after what the author did and how she did it, felt really forced.

After great 1st season the second one dissapointed me so much so I dropped it, but I still hope that maybe it's just a typical yuri drama where boy spoils the show. I would like to know how manga ends, if there's het ending or maybe (not much hope though) yuri wins? It's a shame that the author decided to turn it that way anyway....

If someone knows the plot of manga so far please give me some spoilers. And tell the ending when it ends.

By the way, should I read Aria, because I feel really angry about the author after what she did to Amanchu.

joined Dec 3, 2018

By the way, should I read Aria, because I feel really angry about the author after what she did to Amanchu.

She pulled similar shit in Aria. Straight up homophobic trash that goes out of her way to kill any yuri shipping.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I really loved Season 1 of the anime, but forgot to continue season 2 after a few episodes, and before I could get back to it I received spoilers about that one moment, so I refused to continue the anime and to start the manga. I've even given up on watching/reading Aria too.

Oh, and this page isn't the only problematic one. There's also this one ("Well... It seems you are interested in guys, so I thought you were a girl...").

last edited at Sep 6, 2021 12:10AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.