Forum › Citrus discussion

joined Jan 22, 2018

@Dark_Tzitzimine

why wouldn't everyone not be shocked with this sudden turn of events? when the latest chapters before chapter 36 are all about Mei falling in love with Yuzu and reciprocating her advances that we were all convinced that this would be the time, she'd actually fight to be with Yuzu. it's like Mei just throw away five volumes worth of her character development.

After everything Mei and Yuzu went through as a couple. Who the f*ck would thought that Mei would actually choose to marry some random guy and inherit the academy over Yuzu? LOL it's like a f*cking sick joke from Sabuoro Uta.

Well, Mei has just become the antagonist of her own love story with Yuzu. so I guess it's all right to hate her for now. what a b*tch.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 11:42PM

It’s so damn generic and uninteresting, that’s why we’re pissed. Do people have no crativity over there in Japan?

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

@Dark_Tzitzimine

why wouldn't everyone not be shocked with this sudden turn of events? when the latest chapters before chapter 36 are all about Mei falling in love with Yuzu and reciprocating her advances that we were all convinced that this would be the time, she'd actually fight to be with Yuzu. it's like Mei just throw away five volumes worth of her character development.

After everything Mei and Yuzu went through as a couple. Who the f*ck would thought that Mei would actually choose to marry some random guy and inherit the academy over Yuzu? LOL it's like a f*cking sick joke from Sabuoro Uta.

Well, Mei has just become the antagonist of her own love story with Yuzu. so I guess it's all right to hate her for now. what a b*tch.

I expected that. But not so fast.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 2:32AM

_rpehnod92y
joined Sep 24, 2017

Honestly, I just want an IBO ending. Anything short of that, and this manga would've been a complete waste of time.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 4:08AM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

That's the problem of self-hating people, in the end, you bring every one who love you (and maybe that you love) to hate you. Because why wouldn't you hate somebody that hates a person you like? This is really, really good angst work. Some won't like it, even if it has been done already, but I like that similarity between BiY and Citrus on this particular subject. Two very different ways of dealing with the same problem (for different reasons).

It’s so damn generic and uninteresting, that’s why we’re pissed. Do people have no crativity over there in Japan?

Disregarding the fact I disagree with you, it's pretty harsh to judge the art of the whole country on just one story, isn't it?

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 9:43AM

joined Jan 22, 2018

Is anyone in here happy that we'e actually going to see Mei and Yuzu go through this cliche yuri trope of "rich girl will eventually marry a guy in the future" rather than Saboura Uta giving us an inconclusive happy ending where we don't know for certain if Mei and Yuzu will be lifelong married couple after graduating highschool. but it sucks that Sabuoro Uta needed to make Mei the bad person for this drama. I can't even enjoy the anime because of this.

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Let's not forget that Shou leaving the school is arguably what triggered this whole process, throwing Mei under the bus in the first place. Mei is positioned to understand the burdens of responsibility, moreso because she was fucked over by her dad ignoring his, and likely saw how her gramps was affected by Shou leaving too. Maybe this is an East/West perspective thing, but I have a lot of sympathy for Mei's almost tragic dedication to duty and filial piety. It's easy to say Mei should just choose love and fuck all, but from an Asian perspective that's fucking irresponsible and careless (i.e Shou), and lbr she quite literally hasn't reached that at this point in the story anyway, and its pretty understandable why.

+1

Yes, its definitely an East/West perspective thing. I feel like most of the people who are angry and triggered regarding this chapter are from West. Listen fellas: This manga is published in Japan. The author is Japanese, the characters are all Japanese. Ofc SU would think of the Japanese readers first, won't she? 'Cause from an Asian/Japanese perspective, Mei made an absolutely correct decision by obeying her elders/ fulfilling her responsibilities. Had she chosen love over family duties, she would be, as Skyblaze77 said, a f***ing irresponsible person like that bastard she calls her father.

Yes, what happened is tragic, its something that should not have happened, but Mei was just being the child of a traditional Japanese/Asian family; i.e. living under the pressure of a mountain load of traditions, duties and responsibilities. I doubt most of you bashing this chapter have ever experienced it (to that extent, that is), and most likely, you never will.

joined Jan 22, 2018

@mei is waifu

Now that I can think clearly. I actually think Mei lied to Yuzu when she said that she decided it for herself because she doesn't want Yuzu to go after her. as she said in the letter if she sees Yuzu again, she won't managr to go through it. she felt pressured into marrying her fiance and inherit the academy because of her grandfather's ailing health and because she's the only sole heiress.

Regardless, I still want Mei to chase after Yuzu this time.

And I don't know much about japanese family tradition but you can't say that anyone in here hasn't experience to choose between someone or something they love over their family responsibility especially the lgbt community.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 11:03AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

Is anyone in here happy that we'e actually going to see Mei and Yuzu go through this cliche yuri trope of "rich girl will eventually marry a guy in the future" rather than Saboura Uta giving us an inconclusive happy ending where we don't know for certain if Mei and Yuzu will be lifelong married couple after graduating highschool.

Yes, I don't mind cliché and classic tropes if I find them well done. If SU ended the story at the end of the school trip, with or without dropping the arranged marriage, it would've felt incomplete. The whole point is to see the two of them getting happy in a way that'll work in the long term, happily ever after, I guess.

I actually think Mei lied to Yuzu when she said that she decided it for herself because she doesn't want Yuzu to go after her.

Sorry to butt in, but perhaps she believes what she wrote since she (probably) hate herself, so she doesn't deserve to be with Yuzu and prefer to inherit the school; then can it be considered a lie? If Mei thinks she doesn't deserve Yuzu, then no matter how hurt she would be, she'll try to let Yuzu go and separate herself from her step-sister.

I wonder if it'll happen... I think Yuzu is way too much in love with Mei to ever giving her the cold shoulder. My bet is that the very second Mei says "I love you" or something similar, Yuzu will throw herself in Mei's arms. Perhaps I'm wrong though. What needs to be done for Mei is to accept her own desires and sort out her goals. Maybe after that, Mei will try to pursue Yuzu if the latter ever decided to erase Mei from her life.

Damn, that would be even more angst, are you really asking for this?

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 11:15AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

@mei is waifu

Now that I can think clearly. I actually think Mei lied to Yuzu when she said that she decided it for herself because she doesn't want Yuzu to go after her. as she said in the letter if she sees Yuzu again, she won't managr to go through it. she felt pressured into marrying her fiance and inherit the academy because of her grandfather's ailing health and because she's the only sole heiress.

I think so too. Like I said she is under pressure. Not like she is happy to leave Yuzu.

ME TOO! That would be great but considering how sheltered and self-loathing Mei is, will she be able to gather the courage to do so?

And I don't know much about japanese family tradition but you can't say that anyone in here hasn't experience to choose between someone or something they love over their family responsibility especially the lgbt community.

I know what you're trying to say. Yes, the lgbt community has to face a lot of shit from their family regarding their sexuality. That's the same almost everywhere. But I said they don't have to face THAT amount of pressure like an Asian person. Most of us grow up fulfilling our family's expectations like doing good at school and having proper manners, following the rules of society etc. And then after you grow up and have a decent career (which is sometimes chosen by our families) and some cash, we are expected to get married to the one our family chooses (in most countries, even in 21st Century sigh). Homosexuality? What is that shit? You can even say that you like someone of your own gender. That's like Social Suicide. You are a disgrace to the society. If you know what I mean...

joined Mar 15, 2017

Mei's change of heart to decide out of her own will that she wanted to succeed her grandfather as chairperson was in chapter 8.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wonder if it'll happen... I think Yuzu is way too much in love with Mei to ever giving her the cold shoulder. My bet is that the very second Mei says "I love you" or something similar, Yuzu will throw herself in Mei's arms. Perhaps I'm wrong though. What needs to be done for Mei is to accept her own desires and sort out her goals. Maybe after that, Mei will try to pursue Yuzu if the latter ever decided to erase Mei from her life.

Well, I would have thought that Yuzu would accept Mei back without hesitation. It's Yuzu. But our girl is too scarred I wonder how it is realistic (a little, even though in Citrus, is expected here). Yuzu is totally dead inside and traumatised. How can she have faith once again in Mei, the girl who told her four-time "yes", when Yuzu asked her if she could love her forever etc.

I wonder what the author planned to enable the make-up, of course, Mei will have first to figure her real path, but after that...

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 12:47PM

joined Dec 13, 2015

Is anyone in here happy that we'e actually going to
I actually think Mei lied to Yuzu when she said that she decided it for herself because she doesn't want Yuzu to go after her.

Sorry to butt in, but perhaps she believes what she wrote since she (probably) hate herself, so she doesn't deserve to be with Yuzu and prefer to inherit the school; then can it be considered a lie? If Mei thinks she doesn't deserve Yuzu, then no matter how hurt she would be, she'll try to let Yuzu go and separate herself from her step-sister.

I actually really want inheriting the school to BE a genuine wish of Mei's. Not a "remnant of her past desires"/"she hates herself" thing but she's genuinely ambitious and wants to do a good job running the school. It would be particularly delicious angst - Yuzu was the one pushing Mei to figure out what she really wanted for herself so she could really fight for it, whoops, turns out Yuzu's encouragement drove her to realize she really wanted that inheritance, even if it means hurting Yuzu. It's as if Yuzu retrospectively, unknowingly shot herself in the foot and it's both hilariously ironic and tragic to me.

That said, I want Mei to basically get both the girl and the career, so that's probably what's driving my hope that she wants the school for real.

I think Mei needs to chase after Yuzu lmao. As much as I'm part of Mei's rah rah team, bij has basically traumatized poor Yuzu lol. She should do some (lots) of grovelling before she's forgiven.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 2:07PM

joined Jan 22, 2018

@Klice

I don't think Mei actually believe that she doesn't deserved Yuzu. What's stopping her from loving Yuzu is the burden of being an only child and sole heiress of her family's business. she got no choice especially after the talk she had with her grandfather in the car. Mei is just so stubborn to ask for help and just keep her problems on her own.

@mei is waifu

I don't want to make the japanese family tradition vs western culture, a big deal in here because to be honest, it doesn't matter if you live in asia or western countries. our parents does expects us to conform with what the general society considers to be normal. I grew up in Asia but I currently live here in America. my parents never forces me to do something that I don't want or marry someone I don't love. what the heck?! I know it does happen but i don't think most family in asia do these traditonal arranged marriage bullsh*t.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 4:01PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

i don't think most family in asia do these traditonal arranged marriage bullsh*t.

Most families do not, most upper class families do. Lower class families in general just expect their children to marry and have kids of their own, it is the upper classes that get rather particular on whom their kids will be marrying.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 4:13PM

joined Jan 22, 2018

@Skyblaze77

We know Mei does want to inherit the academy but I don't think that she actually wants to marry someone she doesn't love. it's her grandfathers whose putting all that pressure into her.

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

i don't think most family in asia do these traditonal arranged marriage bullsh*t.

Most families do not, most upper class families do. Lower class families in general just expect their children to marry and have kids of their own, it is the upper classes that get rather particular on whom their kids will be marrying.

Yeah, omiai are still a thing.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There’s a whole spectrum between old-school forced arranged marriages (where the parties getting married have no say at all) and those where only the two people getting married have any say in the matter (autonomous marriage), and, as others have said, economics plays a huge role—apparently these days arranged marriages are most common among the very poor (where getting an adult person out the door and eating somewhere else can be essential to the family’s survival) and among the economic elites (where it has to do with maintaining status via inheritance).

It can be especially important when a family needs an alliance (for financial support or inheritance issues) in order to stay in the upper-classes, which seems to be the case here. So it’s not just about disappointing grandpa (who, again as others have said, doesn’t have the slightest idea that Mei is romantically interested in anyone else or has any reason to resist the usual marriage procedure of her social class); it’s about the future of the entire family.

PS: To be clear, I personally want Yuzu to end up happy and lovey-dovey with Mei 4ever!! as much as the next person. But arranged marriages even today are by no means unusual, nor considered particularly cruel, in the kind of families depicted in this manga.

last edited at Feb 20, 2018 7:16PM

joined Jun 23, 2017

I actually really want inheriting the school to BE a genuine wish of Mei's. Not a "remnant of her past desires"/"she hates herself" thing but she's genuinely ambitious and wants to do a good job running the school. It would be particularly delicious angst - Yuzu was the one pushing Mei to figure out what she really wanted for herself so she could really fight for it, whoops, turns out Yuzu's encouragement drove her to realize she really wanted that inheritance, even if it means hurting Yuzu. It's as if Yuzu retrospectively, unknowingly shot herself in the foot and it's both hilariously ironic and tragic to me.

That would be so hard on Yuzu, damn. Give her one chance! I think if Mei is really ambitious like that and prioritise her carreer while not caring about her love life, she will never come back to Yuzu. If you want to be ambitious, I think it's best to leave your emotions at the door, as much as possible, and if you need some comfort/affection, you could just pay for some or look for it with you arranged partner. It may a bit too cynical and perhaps I'm wrong, some can combine both, but in Mei's case, it doesn't seem doable; I feel that it won't be good for Yuzu if at 15/16yo Mei is already ambitious enough to sacrifice her love life for the job.

However, if she hates herself, there is still a possibility that after doing some work on herself, she realises she was just refusing herself to be happy and punishing herself. Then she would try to pursue Yuzu, because she would realise that her step-sister counts more than anything else. Mei hating herself is still speculation though, but it's my best guess at the moment.

I don't think Mei actually believe that she doesn't deserved Yuzu. What's stopping her from loving Yuzu is the burden of being an only child and sole heiress of her family's business. she got no choice especially after the talk she had with her grandfather in the car. Mei is just so stubborn to ask for help and just keep her problems on her own.

Perhaps, as I said above the self-hate is speculation (with some solid stuff backing it in my eyes). But then, why make yourself suffer if you don't hate yourself, at least a bit? The tone of the letter, saying that Yuzu almost made her forget about her goals, the fact that she wrote a letter instead of facing her step sister directly makes it clear to me that Mei is suffering as well. Maybe she really is just ambitious and thinks she can take it; and not from some sort of self-sacrifice where she denies her happiness and tries to do good for her family but... If she was fully confident, I think she would have explained all that to Yuzu directly in person.

I don't know, I can't get around my head making yourself suffer and, especially, making the one you love suffer believing it's for their own good ("for your sake" in the letter), if you don't have some self-worth issue. Maybe I'm too wrapped up in my own ideas to see it.

But our girl is too scarred I wonder how it is realistic (a little, even though in Citrus, is expected here). Yuzu is totally dead inside and traumatised. How can she have faith once again in Mei, the girl who told her four-time "yes", when Yuzu asked her if she could love her forever etc.

I wonder... She is still trying to be her happy self, but it's painfully obvious to her friends she doesn't manage to do it. Damn, I can already see Yuzu refusing Mei with the biggest sad/smile saying that Mei would lose everything she worked for if she came back with her step-sister. This could go wrong in so many ways that I could begin to doubt the prospect of happy ending.

Edit Thank you for the translation as always, Chaosteam, however, "fiancée" is feminine (p31), the masculine is "fiancé". We have to wait a bit for Mei to have a fiancée...

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 7:10AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

@Yuri_lvl100 I might have made a mistake, it should be traditional Asian families instead of just Asian families. And I know what happens in those families, 'cause I grew up in one.

@Uranus Absolutely. For the children of upper-class families, arranged marriages are a part of their lives.

@Tenoh Yeah, omiai type of customs are prevalent in other parts of Asia too. Some are even worse then omiai.

Note: When you say upper class, it can have a different meaning than mine. Like when I say upper-class, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have loads of cash or live in a big-ass mansion. Like it could, but that's not necessary. I could also mean that they are of higher status or caste.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Note: When you say upper class, it can have a different meaning than mine. Like when I say upper-class, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have loads of cash or live in a big-ass mansion. Like it could, but that's not necessary. I could also mean that they are of higher status or caste.

A concept that appears in manga a fair amount is the idea of belonging to a "samurai family", which confers a certain status even if they're not financially successful. There's a pride in the family association, and in a lot of stories the character will try to live up to whatever standard they associate with that lineage.

joined Feb 21, 2018

The recent episode just made me wonder, when Yuzu asked Mei why she can't expect more from their relationship she said the classic because they are both women and sisters. Why did she not tell her that she will also have to marry a man if she wanted to become head of the school? Seems to be a bigger issue than their genders and legal relation.

Yes, what happened is tragic, its something that should not have happened, but Mei was just being the child of a traditional Japanese/Asian family; i.e. living under the pressure of a mountain load of traditions, duties and responsibilities. I doubt most of you bashing this chapter have ever experienced it (to that extent, that is), and most likely, you never will.

Most Japanese women don't seeing as how the average age for a Japanese woman to marry is 29. Seems to be just an excuse to repeat the plot from volume 1.

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 10:55AM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

A concept that appears in manga a fair amount is the idea of belonging to a "samurai family", which confers a certain status even if they're not financially successful. There's a pride in the family association, and in a lot of stories the character will try to live up to whatever standard they associate with that lineage.

You put what I wanted to say in proper words thank you Nezchan

joined Jun 23, 2017

Most Japanese women don't seeing as how the average age for a Japanese woman to marry is 29. Seems to be just an excuse to repeat the plot from volume 1.

Most Japanese women don't live in rich and upper-class society. The rules aren't the same. It's the same problem, but not the same plot. That said, now she seems to be volunteer rather than going with the flow, like in the first volume. And Manager-san isn't (afaik) some freak that would force himself upon Mei; that said, if they want to do what's expected of them...

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 11:10AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Most Japanese women don't live in rich and upper-class society. The rules aren't the same.

This also applies to rural populations, regardless of class. Like, if you are a 29 years old single woman in Tokyo, it is not a big deal, but if you live in a rural area, and you have not married before the age of 25, you will be looked strangely (even pityingly) at, and can expect a fair bit of pressure from your family to settle already. Again, exceptions exist, but this is the typical mindset.

last edited at Feb 21, 2018 11:16AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.