Forum › Citrus discussion

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Well one COULD say "it's because clearly her family (with the exception of her father) is very strictly traditional, so the marriage is expected in order to carry on the family lineage so no real explanation feels needed", but to say that you also have to accept that somehow Mei has managed cognitive dissonance with the arranged marriage situation along with her romantic relationship with Yuzu up to this point

Except, again, those two are not connected. Continuing her family lineage has absolutely nothing to do with becoming headmistress. It's two completely separate issues.

so who knows what the author is actually thinking at this point.

¥¥¥

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Except, again, those two are not connected. Continuing her family lineage has absolutely nothing to do with becoming headmistress. It's two completely separate issues.

But they are, the school IS the family business/heritage. Just like for any children of a rich CEO from a big company, continuing the family "lineage" clearly means continuing the family business and inheriting the company; so the family can continue to prosper and have money thanks to it, one of the children has to take over.

For the family to keep its status and prestige, one of its member must be at the head of the school. Since her father doesn't want to do it, if Mei wants her family to keep all its advantages, heritage and prestige, she has to become headmistress. Or her future husband could if he's adopted, but he still has to be part of the family, so marriage..

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 9:17PM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

But they are, the school IS the family business/heritage. Just like for any children of a rich CEO from a big company, continuing the family "lineage" clearly means continuing the family business and inheriting the company; so the family can continue to prosper and have money thanks to it, one of the children has to take over.

So if Mei isn't married gramps is going to sell the school to someone else? No, none of that makes a damn lick of sense. She can continue the business without having to pump out kids of her own. Mei having kids has to do with who she will pass it down to, not about it being passed down to her.

For the family to keep its status and prestige, one of its member must be at the head of the school. Since her father doesn't want to do it, if Mei wants her family to keep all its advantages, heritage and prestige, she has to become headmistress. Or her future husband could if he's adopted, but he still has to be part of the family, so marriage..

Mei is the only family member left. It wouldnt be about family status and prestige, and will be her status and prestige. She would become headmistress no matter her marital status. Getting married has absolutely nothing to do with Mei becoming headmistress.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

From a Western standpoint, perhaps. From a traditional Japanese standpoint, which, to this point seems to be VERY what Mei subscribes to, marriage and subsequent children absolutely has something to do with becoming headmistress and continuing the Aihara line. BUT, like you have have said, the author has not touched on that at all and has seemingly relied on the standard "Japanese subtlety/goes without saying" thing.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

No, if it was about being traditional then Mei would never become headmaster simply because she is a woman. Her husband would become headmaster instead. She would have to dedicate herself to raising her children like a traditional Japanese housewife.

Again, her having children has to do with who she will pass it down to, not it being passed down to her first. They are separate issues.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Okay, please. Stop. This is getting too embarrassing to read, to the point where I think you're trying to kill me with sheer cringe.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I'm being cringey? Here I thought I was being mature..

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

shadesofgreymoon posted:

I'm being cringey? Here I thought I was being mature..

I thought what you said made sense, nez is probably talking about Cannibal not being able (probably never) to admit that there's more than one possibility and that his/her limited knowledge about culture, homosexuality, feelings and any other subject can be wrong ever, all the arguments are "What I say is the truth, I know because that's what I think, so how can you think different?" there's no space for discussion, so is useless to reply.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 10:32PM

joined Jan 22, 2018

Okay, please. Stop. This is getting too embarrassing to read, to the point where I think you're trying to kill me with sheer cringe.

I've actually seen worse in one of the forums in here and yeah even I are also cringing with my post. I mean the chapter is still fresh to everyone's mind. the rage posting just shows how frustrated and disappointed everyone is with chapter 36.

I actually feel like Sabuoro Uta intentionally skip a month to published the next chapter because the next chapter will probably be much worse than chapter 36. the Citrus anime would be over before April. so SB still has plenty of time for chapter 37 and see if the manga will have an effect on the BD sales of Citrus.

now, I don't know if I want to praise SB for having the balls for stirring sh*t up to make the story interesting again without adding too much nonsensical plot even with the anime still running or I want to give her a big smack in the head because I'm pretty sure this chapter will cause a lot of reader to (temporarily) rage quit the manga and possibly the anime after reading the new chapter.

but I'm glad to see that this new development in the story even though it's heartbreaking, shows how much the readers are still invested on this manga. I still have faith on Sabuoro Uta so I hope that despite whatever everyone says, she will continue Citrus, the way she intended the story to unfold.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 11:42PM

joined Jan 22, 2018

So, the time skip is 6-8 months but Yuzu still cried like it was just yesterday. everyone has this worried expression on their face while lookimg at Yuzu. I don't want Yuzu to turn into a more darker character but this turn of events will greatly change her view about love. I can't wait to see how much Yuzu change and see how will Mei react to this new Yuzu.

last edited at Feb 18, 2018 11:59PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

What exactly makes people think that this is the end? It's brutal, but it was fairly obvious that it was coming. The fact that Mei chose to do it via letter is a bit harsh. (Kind of like breaking up via text message.) But it was clear that she was going to move forward with the arranged marriage and that she was being torn apart by all of the feelings she has for Yuzu.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Funny and sad how this songs remind of what happened https://genius.com/Chaos-chaos-do-you-feel-it-lyrics (if you read the song description there it fits even more) and it even reminds of that episode of R&M... yeah, but hey ignore the reference, the song is good but if you read the chapter 36 with this as background is really heart breaking

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 12:38AM

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

Im not triggered or anything about. Sure its sad, but come on everyone let be real for a minute. If this was a Slice of Life more than anyhing. She was already engaged when it first started, but then she had to get engaged to a someone else. Not every highschool yuri manga is supposed to be a happy fairytale. Grant it though, the ending is supposed to be a Happy Ending, but that can be with the characters all living a happy life and enjoying it to the fullest. Whether theyre together or not.

There is a difference between a melodramatic story and sad story that actually makes sense. This is a melodramatic story where the plot points are never actually explained. Not once does it explain why Mei getting married has anything to do with becoming headmistress and yet all these drama revolves around that absent connection.

So everything has to be explained, you cant put two and two together?

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

So, the time skip is 6-8 months but Yuzu still cried like it was just yesterday. everyone has this worried expression on their face while lookimg at Yuzu. I don't want Yuzu to turn into a more darker character but this turn of events will greatly change her view about love. I can't wait to see how much Yuzu change and see how will Mei react to this new Yuzu.

Oh i didnt know it was a time skip.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Yeah I can, problem is that there is no 2+2, it's more like 2X+2Y. It's the most important drama causing event in this story and yet it never once gets explained. It requires you to fill most of it in yourself and even then most of the explanations people have come up make absolutely no sense in regards to character motivations.

@Serenata I'm just surprised you havent caught the irony in that yet.

@Nez Now you're just encouraging me at this point.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 1:28AM

Capture
joined Dec 21, 2016

I thought there will be more closure in regards to their relationship post time skip. Either SU wanted to keep us on suspense or they're just lazy.
And I just found out thật SỰ is a straight, married woman too. No wonder she's really bad at handling the characters.

Not all yuri artists have to be lesbians or bisexuals, thơ a lot are, well some of the best.

Why did you know that Saburo Uta married? :O Wow that's so suprising.. :O

Korrasami
joined Dec 14, 2014

Yeah I can, problem is that there is no 2+2, it's more like 2X+2Y. It's the most important drama causing event in this story and yet it never once gets explained. It requires you to fill most of it in yourself and even then most of the explanations people have come up make absolutely no sense in regards to character motivations.

Some simple things dont necessarily have to be explained.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 4:45AM

joined Feb 10, 2018

Some simple things dont necessarily have to put explained.

Agreed, if everything is explained, i'ma feel like im reading a textbook rather than a manga.

Avvvvvvvvv
joined May 20, 2016

I thought there will be more closure in regards to their relationship post time skip. Either SU wanted to keep us on suspense or they're just lazy.
And I just found out thật SỰ is a straight, married woman too. No wonder she's really bad at handling the characters.

Not all yuri artists have to be lesbians or bisexuals, thơ a lot are, well some of the best.

She's not, some people were spreading that rumor on another board but it was actually another yuri mangaka.

Capture
joined Dec 21, 2016

She's not, some people were spreading that rumor on another board but it was actually another yuri mangaka.

Thank you~~~~~~~ I don't think she could marry SO because I was always following her whole time when begining to read Citrus...

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

So, the time skip is 6-8 months but Yuzu still cried like it was just yesterday. everyone has this worried expression on their face while lookimg at Yuzu. I don't want Yuzu to turn into a more darker character but this turn of events will greatly change her view about love.

That is the most hurtful thing, I wonder if it will go into the depression route, if Mei is too much to handle even for the one of the most positive character. Perhaps this could be another way of resolving thing : Mei seeing how much her decision has impacted Yuzu.

For now, Mei is convinced her decision is for the best and that Yuzu is able to get over her and be happy without her. Yuzu can't handle the sadness, does nothing, all of her friends try to cheer her up but don't succeed. They all know what they could do but don't want to see her face. And, what if, best friend Harumin is the one to go see Mei? As in a final confrontation against the authority she was afraid of and prevented her from fully expressing herself; she goes see Mei, tell her what's what and bring her to confront Yuzu face to face...

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I should keep a cool head and welcome the story as it is!

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 7:36AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Some simple things dont necessarily have to be explained.

Except its not simple, if it were then Yuzu would have seen it coming. I guess she just isn't as keen on traditional Japanese culture like you guys.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 7:36AM

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

I guess she just isn't as keen on traditional Japanese culture like you guys.

Actually if you've been paying attention she's clearly not keen at all on this sort of thing. It's been one of her fatal flaws the entire series.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Actually if you've been paying attention she's clearly not keen at all on this sort of thing. It's been one of her fatal flaws the entire series.

yeah, sure, whatever you say. Just glad that we got it straight that you guys believe that you are more keen on traditional Japanese culture than the characters in the manga.

Since you seem to know so much, if Mei refused the arranged marriage would she be denied the headmistress position?

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

yeah, sure, whatever you say. Just glad that we got it straight that you guys believe that you are more keen on traditional Japanese culture than the characters in the manga.

I don't believe that at all. This particular character is notably bad at conforming, and in love with a person she probably shouldn't be.

Since you seem to know so much, if Mei refused the arranged marriage would she be denied the headmistress position?

It's certainly possible. There are also plenty of other possible reasons she believes she has to do it, even if she in fact doesn't. Would it kill you to use some imagination? I've never once seen you able to handle a manga with any ambiguity present. It's your kryptonite.

last edited at Feb 19, 2018 8:22AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.