Forum › Citrus discussion

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

For something completely different: whom else finds the men in Citrus weird looking?

I thought the anime would had been some sort of upgrade for the Manga. (I guess I was expecting a K-ON drastic type of change lol) I mean the K-on Manga is horrible but the Anime is the most beautiful thing you'll ever lay eyes on and that has to do with the fact that the team behind the animation did a great job bringing the manga to live as an animation (that the fact that the company who animated K-ON was great company already). Now back to why the man looked weird? Well in the manga the mangaka wasn't that great at drawing man from the start. BUT of course the company behind the anime could had done a major upgrade on the art but sadly I even feel that they actually taken it a step back. I honestly dont even watch the anime. And I have been starving for a Yuri Anime. I dont knw the art sometimes turns me off. I'll prob go back to the show some time later.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

But what if it was the other way around? Knowing how caring and kind Yuzu is, what's to say that, if she learned about it, she wouldn't probably try to step down, to distance herself from Mei just to let her pursue her life goal? What if Mei also thought about that and is keeping it all secret from Yuzu so she could keep being with her? Remember that in vol6, she said she wanted them to keep going on despite everything else.

Of course, she can't keep it secret forever, but she dreads what will happen when the cat's out. Poor Mei's getting torn between everything and everyone she loves..

Very interesting indeed. Maybe Mei wants to keep it a secret from each side (Grandfather/manager that she already have someone and Yuzu, that she has to make a step forward to achieve a goal life, professionally speaking) because she's afraid to lose one of the two things she desires when everything will be known to each party. She wants to find a third way, but time flies and earning time is less possible.

I totally see Yuzu saying she won't be an obstacle to Mei's life goals and accepting to suffer for Mei. But, is Mei's real happiness is linked to ruling the school? Is it really her life goal or does she think it is because it's been ingrained? What if Mei realizes that her life goal is Yuzu?

On the other hand, Yuzu, in the last chapter, isn't living the instant anymore, she projects herself in a shared future with Mei and is ready to take many steps forward to find her life goal. For Yuzu, Mei being the headmistress and her partner are almost acquired, so she'll be devasted, but it's her style to bear the pain on her shoulders for someone else's happiness, even if this happiness is really doubtful. It is also her style to be ready to embrace her future with her sometimes forced positivity. The scene where Mei is some steps back in chapter 35 is very symbolic as if Yuzu was slipping away because Yuzu is all turned to the future, Mei is caged in the past and the old-fashioned conventions. We almost saw Mei's terrified look to see Yuzu gets away.

Mei sure has to make a deep introspection. What will be the key? Yuzu could be the one breaking up (temporary) to free Mei from their relationship, as an ultimate act of love and maybe Mei will try to rebuild it when she'll accept to make a choice.

So many ways to resolve this drama, and only one chapter ... leading us to probably another volume to see everything solved.

last edited at Feb 1, 2018 10:44AM

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

Has Mei actually told the dude that "yes, I am gay for Yuzu, so this is complicated" and somehow manage to get an understanding response from him?

last edited at Feb 1, 2018 9:39PM by Nezchan

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Both of you, take it somewhere else. You want to obsess over someone and badmouth them, start a Tumblr like everyone else. This isn't the place for it.

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Saburota revealed on twitter the reason of the difference between Harumin's houses from the anime and the manga. The house shown in the anime is her Grandma's and Harumin is staying there because is closer to the school, the one shown in the manga is the "main house" so to speak, she also revealed that starting from Harumin's Grandma all the women in her family have attended Aihara Academy.

This creates some plot holes, like how old are Mei's Grandpa and Harumin's Grandma or how Harumin only enrolled in HS to Aihara Academy.

Saburota also mentioned she has some scary family members and that she'd like to write something about that.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Mei sure has to make a deep introspection. What will be the key? Yuzu could be the one breaking up (temporary) to free Mei from their relationship, as an ultimate act of love and maybe Mei will try to rebuild it when she'll accept to make a choice.

That makes me think that most of the times Yuzu tried to distance herself from Mei were in the earliest chapter, when Mei couldn't care less because she hadn't fall for her step-sister yet. The only occurrence of Yuzu distancing herself from Mei that had an emotional impact was in vol7 and it seemed to have hurt Mei a bit much - while I'm thinking about it, I think Mei was pretty upset when Yuzu rejected her advances at the end vol3/start of vol4, but the emotional impact still wasn't big.

If Yuzu was to tell Mei now that they should stop everything for Mei's own good... I wonder what would happen to the poor girl. Imagine, another loved one who abandons her, she would probably break Edit because people like to laugh at the daddy issue's justification, but I think there's also abandonment issue in there. Or perhaps Mei will finally be able to stand strong and not give up. I know Saburouta ended every conflict at the end of each volume, but I think this would be one conflict worth expanding in the next volume as well, this is a turning point in Mei's life, after all.

Addendum

She wants to find a third way, but time flies and earning time is less possible.

Either she is thinking very hard, or she already chose the flight decision and is stalling for time, hoping something miraculous would happen. Will she chose the "make the one I love hate me so they don't suffer" route? That wouldn't "look" like her.

P.S. Ahah, I'm reading chapter 33 again, I think people were too busy complaining about the sketchy drawings to notice that Harumin's put Matsuri's head in her breasts.. That or I didn't see the commentaries about it. That's highly dangerous shipping fuel. I wonder if Mei did that instead of forcefully kissing Yuzu to make her shut up, would people still have complained about sexual assault? Is it sexual assault when one forcefully put another's face into one's own breasts?

last edited at Feb 3, 2018 2:13PM

joined Apr 26, 2016

Uh... Can I just say
Mei can legally say no and maybe I don't know talk to Yuzu

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Uh... Can I just say

Not if she wants to inherit the school (in her eyes). And, I assume, she is afraid of how Yuzu would react if (when) she heard about it. So she has a choice to make and the whole point of the story is to see her suffer through that choice... Sounds pretty grim when I say it like that, but that's essentially what this kind of stories offer (and why some people don't like them because they see many "simple" solutions that would make the whole suffering pointless in their eyes).

last edited at Feb 3, 2018 12:39PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"In the first act, chase your main character up a tree. In the second, throw rocks at them."

It makes sense that the author wants to corner her and force her to face a difficult (from her point of view) decision. There's sacrifice no matter which way she goes, and while that's hard to watch for people invested in the character's happiness or is far enough removed to say "I wouldn't act like that", it's the kind of situation an author should want to set up.

joined Apr 26, 2016

I'm just sigh this might sound weird I don't want this to be like Twilight
I don't want baby gays to want a Mei

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

When will Mei stop suffering?? She doesn't deserve any of this...

I disagree. She could say no to her grandfather. She could politely explain the situation to Udagawa. But she doesn't. She might be suffering , but it's self-inflicted. As the saying goes, you can't always have you cake and eat it too. She needs to decide if she wants to please everyone else around her, or if she wants to be truly happy, Either way, someone will end up disappointed or hurt. That's a fact of lifs.

Okay, only one thing, this takes place in Japan, where gay marriage is looked down upon. Assuming she did come out, she would risk possibly being disowned or not inheriting the school, something she worked her whole life for, so she would be throwing away her whole life basically.

If she would tell Yuzu, it is very possible she would make a scene trying to stop it considering what we’ve seen in the past. That is also probably why the others who do know aren’t saying anything.

When you do something, it’s not just a simple do it or don’t, turning down the marriage can have real consequences. This is less make the right choice, and more, make the choice that causes less damage. Throw away the thing you worked your life for, or throw away what may be your future.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Uh... Can I just say

Yeah, because gay teens are so welcomed in Japan, right?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Edit : i cannot imagine Mei taking the school as it is and maintaining the toxic rules there (toxic from an individualistic point of you), with all these girls attending it to be perfect heir to their family and being engaged in marriage without love. And at the same time, being with Yuzu. Or, the only way for her to be the school headmistress and living with Yuzu would be to revolution the school. I wonder if it's possible in regard to Japanese social conventions even in a fictional world.

Depends what you mean by "living with Yuzu". If you mean they live together, but keep the nature of their relationship a secret, then yes, it could work.
Although, in that case, I imagine any innovations in how the school operates would be born out of Yuzu's influence, rather than Mei herself. When you come down to it, Mei is not really presented as all that welcoming to new things, especially if said things go against the established order. I think the differences in classes go deeper than mere disparity in wealth, people are the way they are (regardless if we talk about higher or lower classes) in large part due to their environment. Their families, upbringing, education, ideas they are exposed to and taught about, etc.. It is the same reason behind rural populations being stereotypically more conservative than urban ones, and such. People who break free from this (like Mei's father) are still mostly exceptions. I do not think Mei will suddenly become a revolutionary just because her girlfriend is one. Being a perfect heiress is something Mei genuinely aspires to, I doubt she would go as far as try to dismantle that notion.
Besides, if she did implement such changes, my guess is the upper class parents would just stop sending their daughters to the Aihara academy, so it is not like she could actually be successful in this.

If, however, you mean they actually openly display their relationship, then the answer is simple, no, that would not be possible. Dating your own step-sibling is generally heavily frowned upon even if it is a heterosexual relationship, and not just by the upper classes. Many equate it to actual incest. Being a lesbian, dating your own step-sister, and being at the head of a prestigious upper class academy for girls? That would literally be a death sentence for the school, their enrolment would plummet to zero in a heartbeat. Even in the western world, such a thing would be heavily frowned upon (regardless of the progress of liberalism, because we are talking about upper classes, and upper classes in general tend to side more with conservative lines of thinking), but in Japan? There would probably not be a single family who would send their daughter there. At the end of the day, parents have the right to send their children to any school they choose, you can not force them to pick this specific one.

As for Yuzu, regarding keeping their relationship secret. Some here have said how Yuzu would never consent to be Mei's mistress (in the scenario where Mei goes through with the marriage, but keeps it as a mere formality), and I agree with this, I can not imagine Yuzu ever doing so. But what about Mei just remaining unmarried and keeping her lesbian relationship a secret? How probable do you see this to be, from the perspective of Yuzu going along with it?
I mean, on the one hand, Yuzu is a remarkably open person, and her envisioning a marriage with Mei certainly seems to imply she wants them to be open about it.
On the other hand, she has been keeping it a secret throughout the manga, and she actually got seriously worried when she thought Shirapon-senpai figured them out. Would it really be so out of character for her to agree to keep their relationship a secret, especially if it would enable Mei to not abandon her life's goal? What do you think about this?

Unrelated, but lol, I completely forgot to comment about it the previous chapter. Momokino really does know about Mei and Yuzu being lovers. I remember that chapter when Matsuri had her outburst in front of Momokino and Shirapon-senpai, and I was "woa, woa, wait a minute, Shirapon knows, but Momokino does not, why did she not react in any way upon hearing it??". It was never shown how or when Momokino found out. I guess the only one now who is still in the dark about it is Harumin.

last edited at Feb 4, 2018 9:13AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Now that I look at it, this last unrelated bit belatedly convinced me it would actually be somewhat in character for Yuzu to keep it a secret for Mei's sake. I mean, she never told her best friend about it, even though there would be no actual harmful consequences for Mei if she did so.

last edited at Feb 4, 2018 9:30AM

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Depends what you mean by "living with Yuzu". If you mean they live together, but keep the nature of their relationship a secret, then yes, it could work.

I was talking about living openly. For me, it is Yuzu's life philosophy that inspires other characters to try doing the same. I cannot imagine Yuzu stepping back on her views like that. Even for Mei, because loving Mei is somewhat freeing her from the rules, exactly what Yuzu told to Mei when she tried to convince her to come back at home in chapter 2.

If, however, you mean they actually openly display their relationship, then the answer is simple, no, that would not be possible. Dating your own step-sibling is generally heavily frowned upon even if it is a heterosexual relationship, and not just by the upper classes. There would probably not be a single family who would send their daughter there. At the end of the day, parents have the right to send their children to any school they choose, you can not force them to pick this specific one.

That's what I fear, Mei will have to sacrifice something along the road. Clear as crystal water. I was just wondering if the author could imagine a third solution instead of choosing. Except Shou coming back and maybe him having a child with Ume. He said that he would stop going visiting the world when he will have found his answer. Maybe that will be saving Mei from the school inheritance. But two obstacles: first, Mei wants to rule the school. Second, Shou flew because of the school, and he would come back to rule it again. Of course, Mei's personal happiness would be in the balance, but, it was already in it. By leaving, Shou knew Mei would be unhappy. Two much circumvolutions here.

I mean, on the one hand, Yuzu is a remarkably open person, and her envisioning a marriage with Mei certainly seems to imply she wants them to be open about it.
On the other hand, she has been keeping it a secret throughout the manga, and she actually got seriously worried when she thought Shirapon-senpai figured them out. Would it really be so out of character for her to agree to keep their relationship a secret, especially if it would enable Mei to not abandon her life's goal? What do you think about this?

Yuzu could sacrifice her own life view for Mei's safe, I am sure of that. But it questions the manga's message. During 8 volumes, Yuzu has been built as a shonen character, able to fight and win adversity that was more difficult to confront. She's a unique driving force, so letting down and living low key, I don"t think it's an improvement. An author wants her characters to progress. And I may add, Yuzu seems ready for the future now. Chapter 35 show that. Mei's speech in the library definitely decided Yuzu to be proud of her relationship and to be able to confront those who wouldn't be ok.

It was never shown how or when Momokino found out. I guess the only one now who is still in the dark about it is Harumin.

Harumi is definitely a special case. Sometimes she gives the vibe to know, sometimes not. I think she doesn't know but maybe she has her suspicions.

The author perfectly succeeds to let us wonder how it will be solved. It will be solved if we believe her promises to give Yuzu and Mei a happy ending, but how. How much will Mei lose? I like to think Mei will have an epiphany and will realize her goal life, professionally speaking, isn't ruling the school or inherit it.

Rin
joined Aug 4, 2017

It was never shown how or when Momokino found out. I guess the only one now who is still in the dark about it is Harumin.

Harumi is definitely a special case. Sometimes she gives the vibe to know, sometimes not. I think she doesn't know but maybe she has her suspicions.

Honestly I think Harumin has known since the beginning. Yuzu has always gone to her for advice on Mei and it doesn't help that she was always around when Yuzu bought her incest manga and tried using it as a guide lol. And with the way she was able to see right through Matsuri's act the moment she saw her Harumin is pretty perceptive, so for her to be totally in the dark would be a little weird. Especially since lately, she's spending a lot of time with Matsuri who's always pushing their secret to the limit so she's at least bound to try and let it slip around her the most. Maybe Harumin is waiting for Yuzu to come out and tell her but she's definitely a pretty big mystery, since she hasn't been given very many scenes since this new arc started - she's mainly in the background.

As for why Himeko knows... she's been aware of Yuzu's feelings for Mei this whole time, hasn't she? IIRC she assumed Yuzu was in love with Mei before she even knew they were step-sisters, so maybe she's just kept quiet since she knew Mei was engaged to a new person after Amamiya was scratched off the list and thought anything involving Yuzu wasn't going to last anyway? We should have gotten at least a hint that she found out or had known instead of not reacting to Matsuri's outburst lol (like idk maybe opening one eye when Mei and Yuzu left the room to make out or something).

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

At this stage of story everybody knows about Yuzu and Mei relationship in their little group of friends. Except Nene ofc. Seriously, someone can still think differently? Its obvious.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

what bother me with the "Harumi knows it already but seems oblivious" is the extra story of volume 7 collector edition. When she's alone with Mei waiting for the rain to end. She really doesn't seem to be suspicious about Mei and Yuzu's real relationship. She just takes Mei as the usual cold president whose company isn't really her cup of tea. But, maybe another author's inconsistency, like Mei's scar on the thigh that was totally forgotten in volume 8 (bath scene).

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

Mei and Yuzu just still think they are anonymous with their relationship. Did you expect Hamuri to start talking to Mei about in what position she fuck with Yuzu? C'mon. In my opinion girls just wait for Yuzu and Mei to tell everything about their love.

Mog2
joined Jul 29, 2017

Mei and Yuzu just still think they are anonymous with their relationship. Did you expect Hamuri to start talking to Mei about in what position she fuck with Yuzu? C'mon. In my opinion girls just wait for Yuzu and Mei to tell everything about their love.

Nope of course, but her interactions with Mei could be different if she knew. I'm suspicious, guess we'll know in next chapter or two where Harumin stands in this situation. She could be a helping hand for Yuzu so, we'll know for sure what she's really aware of...

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

I think that Matsuri will have a role to play in the coming events. That conversation with Nene about Y&H friendship was foreshadow of something.

Lalala Ñañaña
Aaaaaaaa%20(1)
joined Oct 6, 2015

Uh... Can I just say

Yeah, because gay teens are so welcomed in Japan, right?

Surely she could refuse without having to come out???

last edited at Feb 8, 2018 2:37AM

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

I think people were too busy complaining about the sketchy drawings to notice that Harumin's put Matsuri's head in her breasts.. That or I didn't see the commentaries about it. That's highly dangerous shipping fuel.

We're not focusing on HaruMatsu, right now, given the current situation.
There are also far more obvious ship tease in previous chapters so it's not as dangerous as you think.

We
joined Feb 5, 2018

You know, girls can leave Japan, just like "their" father done.

joined Feb 10, 2018

You know, girls can leave Japan, just like "their" father done.

Yes, they can. But Mei is steadfast with her decision to run/inherit the school. So that's not really a possible outcome here in the future. Unless the father returns and replaces Mei's position. Whose following the anime btw?

Anyways, hello to all of you. New but not so new, been a lurker for a year now.

To reply you must either login or sign up.