Forum › Winter KajuMomo discussion

Mustard%20spark
joined Aug 1, 2015

Lots of Dudes

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Lots of Dudes

that had better be a legit tag that we add. This translation style is one of the funniest things since the Depressing Ass Fuck tag.

4_2epyfw
joined Feb 21, 2013

Lots of Dudes

that had better be a legit tag that we add. This translation style is one of the funniest things since the Depressing As Fuck tag.

Funny? No. I find no entertainment nor any other value in this pathetic bullshit.

But please do add it as a tag. As a fucking warning.

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Dude

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

The dudes are really throwing me off

joined Feb 23, 2016

It's her name people xD

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Hey dude.

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Lots of Dudes

that had better be a legit tag that we add. This translation style is one of the funniest things since the Depressing As Fuck tag.

Funny? No. I find no entertainment nor any other value in this pathetic bullshit.

i mean, its literally how people from California talk, everything is a dude no matter what it is.

Guy, girl, chair, squirrel. everything is dude.

so to me its hilarious.

4_2epyfw
joined Feb 21, 2013

Lots of Dudes

i mean, its literally how people from California talk, everything is a dude no matter what it is.

Guy, girl, chair, squirrel. everything is dude.

so to me its hilarious.

That's cool, but for me, they're a favorite yuri pairing. My excitement turns sour seeing some Americanized nonsense. I have a bookshelf full of RAWS, I like to see decent translation, it's interesting. Overall, this type of thing, it's just very disappointing.

Snowflakes%20icon
joined Jun 22, 2014

Why dude again? It was fine for a one time attempt at being funny but now it's just annoying.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Why dude again? It was fine for a one time attempt at being funny but now it's just annoying.

The character ends her sentences with -ssu, which is a kind of brash and boyish way of saying desu. It's supposed to be a weird and funny affectation she has, but to context-free westerners, it just sounds like a cute noise, so apparently the translators decided to localise it by making her talk like a surfer. That it also makes her feel like a certain penguin-like mascot character is ostensibly entirely incidental.

I mean, theoretically, I actually think it's a pretty smart localisation solution. It's just that, in practise, it means that I can't take any of these doujins seriously or remember anything about them other than the dudepocalypse, which kind of undermines the entire purpose localising them to begin with.

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 3:16AM

Promo-facebook-facebook%20profile%20picture
joined May 24, 2014

Clicked on this doujin, realized it's the same author and translator team as for that "dude doujin" and started giggling the whole way through, I could barely focus on reading it XD
At first I thought it was dumb, now it's making me laugh~

And don't forget: "I will always love you, dude." <3

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 5:20AM

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

I was expecting dudes in the comments.
And I got dudes in the comments.
Thanks for not letting me down. Lol

Snowflakes%20icon
joined Jun 22, 2014

The character ends her sentences with -ssu, which is a kind of brash and boyish way of saying desu. It's supposed to be a weird and funny affectation she has, but to context-free westerners, it just sounds like a cute noise, so apparently the translators decided to localise it by making her talk like a surfer. That it also makes her feel like a certain penguin-like mascot character is ostensibly entirely incidental.

I mean, theoretically, I actually think it's a pretty smart localisation solution. It's just that, in practise, it means that I can't take any of these doujins seriously or remember anything about them other than the dudepocalypse, which kind of undermines the entire purpose localising them to begin with.

Dude still doesn't translate to -ssu. To me dude sounds like an idiot weed-smoking frat boy, degrading the character and making her annoying.
A boyish suffix is just a boyish suffix, we all know the difference between chan kun san sama sensei sempai kouhai etc, we can google ssu as well AND by doing so actually understand the character better.

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 10:52AM

Gay
joined Jun 13, 2016

THE DUDE IS BACK

last edited at Sep 26, 2017 11:15AM

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

THE DUDE IS BACK

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Meh, it's the crap translator again... Dynasty really should have a blacklist function, so one could get rid of this shit in the first place.

Lalala Ñañaña
Aaaaaaaa%20(1)
joined Oct 6, 2015

Why not just leave the -ssu on her sentences, and add a translator's note explaining it?

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I would like to point out that changing -ssu to dude is something that professional translators did to the prinnies of the disgaea series. Granted they were supposed to be silly, bit there is a precedent there and it probably inspired this translation.

Sans%20titre
joined Jan 25, 2017

Random_Bird posted:

I would like to point out that changing -ssu to dude is something that professional translators did to the prinnies of the disgaea series. Granted they were supposed to be silly, bit there is a precedent there and it probably inspired this translation.

Iirc it was "dood" for the prinnies, which would be better in this case as well imho (a bit more silly than a big fat dude in such a cute mouth) . There is such a thing as overtranslation. Some things can't be localized and this is one of them. In any case I don't think "I love you dude" is equivalent to "Ai shiteru -ssu"

I don't even know why I'm posting this, it doesn't really bother me. And it is hilarious. Thanks for translating, dude

Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Ah, so it was the normal Momo-speak. I thought maybe the doujin Momo was using otoko or even yatsu.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Thing is, the Prinnies, as far as my knowledge of the series goes, are dudes themselves. Their comic relief nature goes hand in hand with the let's-give-animal-mascots-silly-sentence-enders thing and fits with the localization. Momo is very much a soft-spoken and shy character, and the most 'tude she shows off is when Yumi is hit on by other girls. Her ssu is designed to compliment her creepy-but-cuteness, like a slight lisp.

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

Ah the dude strikes again. I feel bad for ppl who like this pairing. How is anyone supposed to take this seriously now.

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

Lots of Dudes

dude why are you so fanny flustered

Why not just leave the -ssu on her sentences, and add a translator's note explaining it?

because thats the lazy way to do translations.

last edited at Sep 29, 2017 6:57PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Personally I don't care for the dude stuff either. It might not be a "lazy" way to do a translation, but seeing how it turns a romance story into a comedy, it's a bad one. Which I'd say is worse.

To reply you must either login or sign up.