Forum › Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! discussion

joined May 16, 2011

I didn't expect pretty much anything that happened in this chapter. Well, except for the part where everyone was gay. Seems like a bit of a recurring theme. Now I'm curious what's in the supplemental rulebooks...

And i never got the rpgs that roll a bucket load of dice- like 10d6 and just use it for everything

Because dice pools are better in every way. Give in, heathen!

There are plenty of systems that use only a single type of dice. D6 and D10 only systems. Bucket loads of dice is inevitable in a lot of systems. If you are big or use magic you will end up using lots of d6s because they are common.
A lot are where you need a certain number of high rolls to succeed. Others are about a target amount and have exploding dice, aka rerolling a max roll.

Rolling lots of dice is fun and it makes character progress visible too. Buckets of damage dice is also intimidating. Its why giant fighters with greatswords and fireball are fun even if not optimal. Mostly play d20 systems myself. Tabletop games are fun with friends.

In Shinozaki related news, the power of yuri was able to defeat yaoi. I approve.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Rolling lots of dice is fun and it makes character progress visible too. Buckets of damage dice is also intimidating. Its why giant fighters with greatswords and fireball are fun even if not optimal.

That's only scratching the surface. Roll-over/under pooling gives better distributions, simplifies difficulty estimations (target successes) dramatically for both the GM and players, and opens the design up for a logarithmic potency curve for skills, stats, and abilities. This is important because it makes the difference between levels obvious and makes the design much easier to reason about.

Mostly play d20 systems myself.

D20 has a multitude of problems, not the least of which is it's naturally bracketed around a relatively narrow range of outcomes. This becomes particularly bad once the scaling problem starts coming into play in the mid and high levels.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Akina's slip/overreaction might be one thing, but did anyone else find Kaede's whole scenario rather suspicious? Deliberately setting up a yuri end between their characters, it almost seems like she was trying to give Akina a hint.

Not sure she set it up to be that way, especially since she said herself that pretty much any ending is fine, but the partial line from the listening check does sound like she was hoping for such a thing. Doubt it was specifically aiming at both their character, though, unless she know the other two enough to know that they would never pick on that. :p

joined May 16, 2011

D20 has a multitude of problems, not the least of which is it's naturally bracketed around a relatively narrow range of outcomes. This becomes particularly bad once the scaling problem starts coming into play in the mid and high levels.

Yeah, but its mostly what I play because of the "too many players not enough DMs" situation. People want to play what they know. Though we do have a few people trying out DMing for other systems like MechTech, Mistrunner, etc. Legend is one of the D20 systems that actually scales in a proper way for a level spread, its also free and OGL.

Finding a good system is half the trouble for a person new to tabletop, finding a good group is the rest. Getting people to show up on time etc. It takes work, but you get out what you put in.

last edited at Mar 23, 2014 9:21PM

joined Feb 11, 2014

"And did you dye you hair green?"

Uh... don't some of her other friends have pretty unusual hair colors as well? Why is this the first time she is noticing?
Also, its nice to see that Japanese shipping wars are even dumber then American ones. :p

last edited at Mar 23, 2014 9:44PM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Uh... don't some of her other friends have pretty unusual hair colors as well? Why is this the first time she is noticing?

The manga is using the Western range of hair colous; Akina is blonde, Touko and Konatsu are redheads, and everyone else is brunette. Green is still weird

Also, its nice to see that Japanese shipping wars are even dumber then American ones. :p

Eh, I've seen some pretty similar arguments between slash fans

joined Jan 12, 2014

Fun chapter all around, and I like the new characters Not sure if we should ship them yet

ChigusaXMichy: You know I just started this pairing as a form of Pair The Spares but after the pool chapters I feel this one is legit now

Nooooo. Don't just "pair the spares"! >.<

I'm being a traitor of yuri, but... ChigusaxMakoto ship for me. Chapter 9 give me the feeling she likes him the way he is... and we know his game avatar shows how he would be, if he could (aka: the Truth). xD

And as for Micchy... just Moe. Get it? ^_^'

Agree on the others.

last edited at Mar 26, 2014 12:07PM

42ed6ac01f64931b5bad2cac0038d2d6
joined Apr 11, 2013

I'm buying this glorious and great piece of manga right now... I have never smiled, squealed (I squeal like a bloody schoolgirl...) or cheered for any other manga like this....EVER! So adorable! And I wish Akina the best of luck with Kaede! May the yuri gods bless you~! Damn...now where did I put my card at...

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

The manga is using the Western range of hair colours; Akina is blonde, Touko and Konatsu are redheads, and everyone else is brunette. Green is still weird

Though I think Akina bleached her hair because Makoto has black hair, but you never know what sort of other possibilities exist.

Anyway, lately, I've been getting very subtle Love Lab vibes from this... simply because of Akina's lie and the fact that Kaede sort of reminds me of Maki in a way.

Icon_yasubee_01
joined Oct 31, 2013

when's the next chapter coming out? can't wait~

Sometimes you just kind of have to wonder… Why food?! Why?!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Because We Can!

Aahhh Akina, don't fight it... just try it... Hmmm I didn't want to read "If she were a guy" here too.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

"if she were a guy"..........................akina........is rose gonna have to choke a b!tch?
seriously stop that.

joined Apr 6, 2013

Hmmm I didn't want to read "If she were a guy" here too.

"if she were a guy"..........................akina........is rose gonna have to choke a b!tch?
seriously stop that.

Its fine as long as you imagine yourself as a guy too, so no matter what its gay.

Poor Akina lost in a sea of NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDSSS, now just don't make eye contact and you should be fine.

last edited at Apr 27, 2014 11:42AM

Brave_nehsafphnw
joined Dec 27, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shinozaki_san_ki_wo_ota_shika_ni_ch14#5
lol, that Frozen reference. I see what you did there :3

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

I didn't want to read "If she were a guy" here too.

Same here. I thought she's already understood that "yuri" relationship is fine for both of them and she doesn't have to mess around and think like "oh, if she were a guuuy" or "oh, she won't acceeept it" and stuff. But here we have a regress. It may make the happy end of this story a lot further.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

seriously stop that.

Its fine as long as you imagine yourself as a guy too, so no matter what its gay.

That's what saved it, making clear that her inner self has already realized that no matter how she see her, she is totally gay for Akina.

Poor Akina lost in a sea of NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRDDDDDSSS, now just don't make eye contact and you should be fine.

They can smell feeeeeaaarrrrr~

969153_636130159747876_1489078614_n
joined Apr 10, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shinozaki_san_ki_wo_ota_shika_ni_ch14#5
lol, that Frozen reference. I see what you did there :3

+1

Ugh... Why do the surroundings of prota always gets in her way! This is becoming (sort of) like Familiar of Zero... always cockblocked.

Not that I don't want things to end here because her being embarrassed and suffering is kinda fun to watch...

Yay! I'm being a damned hypocrite!

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Hilarious chapter, but I'm a little dissapointed at Akina's regression in attitude. :/

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shinozaki_san_ki_wo_ota_shika_ni_ch14#14
Haha! Last panel to the right XD

Nanoda... I c wat u did ther.

last edited at Apr 27, 2014 1:46PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

why there's so many yaoi in my yuri.........?

last edited at Apr 27, 2014 2:27PM

joined Apr 6, 2013

Man, I would really like to make a Tv Tropes page for this manga but I suck, I've made pages before, but this ones name is giving me trouble. Anyone a here got anyclue on how to get a proper page up? or better yet can do it themselves?

Screenshot%20(1)
joined Feb 17, 2013

This is so funny. Oddly reminiscent of high school, when I got into manga and anime due to liking a girl. Our tastes just did not match up, though. There were quite a few things that made me go "wtf", like gender reversal yaoi.

I'm really hoping for a big accidental confession.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Oh good, I was beginning to worry about this series

Comiket, huh? That's in late August, and the series starts in April, so we have about three chapters per month

Man, I would really like to make a Tv Tropes page for this manga but I suck, I've made pages before, but this ones name is giving me trouble. Anyone a here got anyclue on how to get a proper page up? or better yet can do it themselves?

You'd start the page at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/ShinozakisanKiWoOtaShikaNi

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

No Akina, you had crossed that line longs ago... sorry, no turning back for you.

To reply you must either login or sign up.