Forum › Hibike! Euphonium *Spoilers* Discussion

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I'm going down with this ship idgaf i love them so much fuck heteronormativity (ง 。•́︿•̀。)ง

last edited at Aug 26, 2016 4:36PM

Blank-face-emoji
joined Mar 8, 2016

This is why I am so afraid to watch the show because I don't want to cry inside a sinking ship if ever... I am not brave enough.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Is there a trailer for season 2 yet? I heard it will come out in October, but I can't seem to find anything.

I'm a bit hopeful that this will have an open ending instead of ending up het. Because they already developed their relationship to that point, so it would be stupid to disregard all this development and go for a forced het ending. This would be really bad writing, and I'm not only saying it because I'm biased.
Well even if that happens i'll conveniently ignore it and keep on shipping them anyway. At least we'll probably get some nice scenes with them regardless.

joined Apr 19, 2016

Is there a trailer for season 2 yet? I heard it will come out in October, but I can't seem to find anything.

well, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Di5swwzxg

joined May 21, 2015

I'll jump aboard the KumiRei ship again.

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Just watched the trailer and there was no scene with kumi and shuuchi together. There was 3 scenes with kumi and rei together. 2 of those scenes rei and kumi were bumping shoulders together, is it some kind of metaphor for them having sex or something. I think kyotoani know how to sell the anime and what makes it popular. But I wouldn't be surprised by a bait and switch where het wins. Isn't entertainment media a reflection on our society? This means that het will win as Japan doesn't acknowledge people that our lesbians as being serious about their sexuality it's more of a phase high school girls go through and then get married to a man for stability. Basically, I fear the worst for the kumiXRei ship as an iceberg that is big as a wall will sink the ship. Yet I am a masochist and will watch until the bitter end of this anime that's has awesome soundtrack/animations.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

well, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Di5swwzxg

Thanks I already found it. That's a bizzare video tbh lol. I hope we get more promotional videos until the beggining of S2.

So, I've been gathering some information lately about H!E regarding its novel and the differences between the anime. Anime is following the novel's plot a lot. But there are some essential differences in the characters' reactions and small details changed here and there that can really give a different idea about their true feelings and motivations.

First, in episode 8.
When Kumiko gets asked from Shuichi to join him to the Agata Festival, it seems that she did want to go, bu then thinks of Hazuki and that her friend would get hurt. In the anime, it was already clear she didn't want to go to the festival not only because of Hazuki, but mostly because she had realised what that would mean (giving the ok for Shuichi to get it further).
In the novel when she grabbed Reina, Reina seemed not very pleasantly surprised. She was also holding her bag and left the class (not 100% sure about this, but most probably true) because their session was over.
In the anime, Reina just "happened" to go out for something the moment Kumiko left and Shuichi followed her. She also had pokerface instead of being surprised. As if she understood what was going on.

In the final scene of them waiting for the results to be announced, in the novels Kumiko had actually her hand interwinded to Shuichi's. In the anime it was Reina. This is a pretty strong difference.
Also I feel like Hazuki's story is being developed in a direction of her and Shuichi possibly getting together if Kumiko rejects him. It would be much more consistent for them to date instead of Kumiko and Shuichi, considering the development these two "pairs" got from Season 1.
And in the novels Kumiko didn't seem apathetic to Shuichi. She seemed nervous and not ready for being with him. In the anime though, there is not a single reference that she sees him as something more than a friend. So if they wanted to make them happen, why wouldn't they make Kumiko just a bit more interested to him?

Now the cons are that when Kumiko's seiyuu was asked, she said that this is just a phase girls go through. Also the author of the Novels pretty much insisted that the ending is Kumiko and Shuichi and the girls have only a strong friednship.

I don't expect them to get an actual confirmation or anything in canon, I just think it wouldn't be impossible if there is an open ending between Kumiko and Reina and Kumiko rejects Shuichi and he starts dating Hazuki instead.
If this doesn't happen, well I know it will be pretty sad.

last edited at Sep 10, 2016 6:18PM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Honestly fuck this show and fuck that "its just a phase" bullshit, but Kyoani dont care because people get baited and buy that shit up so they get money regardless, at least we got actual yuri this season, LLS>This

joined Sep 21, 2014

I'm still super down with this ship and that trailer basically killed me, im so hyped

Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I always get hyped and then I end up disappointed because everyone that makes anime and manga is apparently afraid of lesbians. I guess we're bitey, or, something. bares teeth

I still liked the anime, and I will continue to follow it. I love the pairing, I think it's done well, even if they DO just turn it into a total Womance. I know everyone has said they pretty much bottlenecked things into het in the manga so far, but bless my little yuri-lovin' heart if I can't still always manage to muster a glimmer of hope for these things (before it's almost always inevitably stamped right out, but still).

joined Oct 5, 2016

Watched episode 1 of the new season. If anything KyoAni seems to be doubling down on the gay. Like, it's really noticeable as soon as Kumiko's friends leave the atmosphere between Kumiko and Reina gets more intimate and flirty, and I don't know how you could possibly interpret the last scene as anything but a date. Shoot they've already basically progressed farther than a lot of KyoAni canon het couples.

Would be surprised if they actually come out and say "we're dating" out loud, but it's a lot more than just queerbaiting subtext at this point too.

joined Sep 21, 2014

Copy/pasting what I wrote about it in the Anime thread (should I spoil tag?):
Hibike Euphonium was good (and whoa it was 40 minutes, the first ep), and Kumiko and Reina aside, i liked the music, the setting, the characters. There's a nice, calming feeling when I watch it, I really enjoyed it.
Concerning Kumiko and Reina, it was very nice too :3
The teasing, smiling, hand holding, the way they speak so gently and sometimes playfully to each other
The fireworks festival ❤
The last minute/scene was especially magical. They discussed the ongoing plot and all, but there was also this instance of Kumiko sorta worrying about how ephemeral things are, how everything will become part of the past. She doesn't share this with Reina, but Reina could tell that something was on her mind. Kumiko doesn't answer when Reina asks about it, but Kumiko does react (she gasps a little) when in response to her silence, Reina tightens her grip on her hand. Kumiko still stays silent, but returns the gesture, and holds her hand back.

In terms of het, we have Reina blushing to her ears concerning Taki-sensei at one point. Concerning Kumiko and Shuichi, idk, I couldn't really tell. Shuichi obv likes her and all, but I can't tell how Kumiko reacts. I think Reina comes along and interrupts/reverse wingmans her tho?? (It gets Shuichi to leave) Lmao, she even comments on how she thinks "spineless guys aren't any good"
I don't think Kumiko even realises that Reina is talking about Shuichi, I hope we can take that as a sign that Kumiko really just dgaf or think about him like that
After all, she's staring and holding hands with Reina at the end of the ep, not anyone else.
I like to think that, as beautiful as the fireworks were in the end, lost in her thoughts, Reina was still the one she was fascinated by and ended up staring at

last edited at Oct 5, 2016 11:39PM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Omg new episode already out? I thought it was going to be in mid October

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Just watched Hibike Euphonium and the art style were beautiful. Especially, the firework scene with all the different colours that was amazing. In terms of the yuri, Kumiko went 90% gay all she needed to do was lean over kiss Reina and make Reina forget about the Taki-sensei. I don't get Reina's attraction to Taki-sensei, he is just a very dry person. I hate how Reina got angry, when everybody made a comment that the new teacher would be Taki-sensei's fiancée. Kumiko is there and willing and Reina decides she has an attraction to an old guy who is old. Whyyyy! He is not that old but he is old for Reina they don’t suit.

But, I am worried what Kumiko's future monologue is foreshadowing. She did say that "someday I'll part with the friends I love." I do feel that KyotoAni has gone super saiyan yuri bait master mode. I’m sure that there is more yuri bait coming our way.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Reina is probably infatuted with Taki-sensei because he is very good musician and she looks up to him. But her liking him doesn't mean she can't like Kumiko.
And, yuri goggles aside, her attraction to Kumiko seems stronger than for Taki-sensei.

Seriously, the last scene of the festival was extremely gay. It's funny cause I can read echii manga with straight face, and at that scene I felt embarassed about how gay it was. (not in a bad way) The hand holding was too long.
What Reina did when Shuichi ran by them was also interesting. I know she might be doing it to tease Kumiko, but what she said after "Spineless guys are no good" seemed as if she was saying "I'm not spineless like him, so I'm a better fit for Kumiko"

At this point, I'm sure we'll get more scenes like this. I don't think there will be ever any kiss or yuri confirmation, but I don't mind. Maybe an open ending. But even if there is actually an asspull for het ending, i don't care. We can always appreciate the journey despite the last stop.

Apparently KyoAni has changed a lot of important Shichi and Kumiko scenes, which is one sign there won't be an ending between them. In the novels, Kumiko gets frustrated about Shuichi not asking her on the festival, but they didn't add this in the anime now.

last edited at Oct 6, 2016 3:04PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

MacySan posted:

What Reina did when Shuichi ran by them was also interesting. I know she might be doing it to tease Kumiko, but what she said after "Spineless guys are no good" seemed as if she was saying "I'm not spineless like him, so I'm a better fit for Kumiko"

Apparently KyoAni has changed a lot of important Shichi and Kumiko scenes, which is one sign there won't be an ending between them. In the novels, Kumiko gets frustrated about Shuichi not asking her on the festival, but they didn't add this in the anime now.

Seems like my troll theory might be right.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Seriously, the last scene of the festival was extremely gay. It's funny cause I can read echii manga with straight face, and at that scene I felt embarassed about how gay it was. (not in a bad way) The hand holding was too long.

Yeah, it totally felt like Reina basically telling him to get away from her girl. And she looked pretty dang satisfied with herself watching him leave.

It also just felt kind of telling that Reina waits until the other girls leave before she asks Kumiko to the festival. Like as soon as they're alone they immediately act way more intimate and are more touchy-feely with each other, when Kumiko's het friends are around they don't touch.

And that final scene with the fireworks was shot 100% like any other, "Oh man I want to kiss you" romance scene. I'm going to be seriously pissed at KyoAni if they try backing out of this, because it's undeniably designed to be read as a romantic relationship at this point.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

And that final scene with the fireworks was shot 100% like any other, "Oh man I want to kiss you" romance scene. I'm going to be seriously pissed at KyoAni if they try backing out of this, because it's undeniably designed to be read as a romantic relationship at this point.

It was undeniable in the first season too, lol. But I am going to be VERY surprised if there's even a slight hint of anything beyond subtext, at least this season. I only expect yuri teasing. A LOT of it. And I kinda like it this way.
Speaking of which, has anyone read all three volumes of the novel? Is there any romance resolution at all at the end? Or is it still not considered complete and more volumes are expected? Guess if it sells well, the latter's pretty realistic.

joined Dec 9, 2014

I haven't personally read the novels, but I gathered some info about it from others. LN have finished now, and it's Shuuichi x Kumiko endgame. Reina confesses to Taki-sensei at some point and gets rejected. She stays single until the end.
But most important thing is how KyoAni has changed some subtle but very important details, which really point to the fact that they do Reina x Kumiko on purpose instead of the canon het ending.

Guess this is also why people call it yuribait. Because in the novels the girls are straight and the author has said so themself. But there are still some strong undertones anyway, although the author strongly denies anything more than friendship

last edited at Oct 6, 2016 7:40PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

More like shes just stating that she doesnt approve of Shuichi and thinks hes a lil bitch *rolls eyes*

It also just felt kind of telling that Reina waits until the other girls leave before she asks Kumiko to the festival. Like as soon as they're alone they immediately act way more intimate and are more touchy-feely with each other, when Kumiko's het friends are around they don't touch.

Omg yeah, if she had asked, it would have been awks around the others cus maybe they didnt have plans/werent going with their families, maybe they would have ended up coming along. She asked when they were both alone because she wanted to only invite Kumiko to go to the festivals with her

Knowing that she gets salty at Shuichi for not inviting her in the novels and how it was changed in the anime makes me happy. It means that, asuming she went with Reina in the novels too, Reina was like a second choice, but Kyoani made Kumiko happily accept her invitation :D She went from "eh I was just gonna stay home, I can see the fireworks from my window" to "eh? Are you trying to invite me? Are you acting all shy now? smirk smirk"

Also they're novels, not light novels/LNs

last edited at Oct 7, 2016 12:19AM

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

I didn't even realized the episode was 45 minutes until I reached around the 35 minute mark lol. This episode made me so freaking happy because it feels like KyoAni is winking at us like "Hey, we gonna make them gay like u wanted" I mean KumiRei was totally on a date! and the lewd handholding!

Honestly if KyoAni somehow go for the het route they fuck up real bad and I would probably cry because KumiRei is OTP. I love KyoAni to bits but I don't think I would continue supporting them after that.

joined Oct 5, 2016

Aaaaand episode 2 goes right back to, "teehee, what, no, we're just friends!"

Goddamn it KyoAni

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

Reina should just get over Taki-sensei!

Luckily we got a teeny-bit of yuri in episode 2 with Ribbon-chan.

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

Kumiko just casually looking at reina's boobs when she said tight is totally no homo. Even, looking at reina in a bikini and staring at her boobs like a goddam teenage boy. Totally No Homo. Kumiko just wants big boobs, that’s why she was staring reina right. She just wants big boobs and doesn’t want to bang reaina in any way its ALL PLATONIC friendship no lustful thinking on kumiko's part. RIGHT KYOTOANI.

joined Sep 21, 2014

I still liked ep 2, I thought that, pointless teacher crush aside, it was giu and still had good scenes between Kumiko and Reina. Kumiko intensely staring at her chest and Reina frowning and turning away, visibly embarrassed/self conscious about it was just, hnngg, such a nice detail (+reaction)
When the really pretty lady teacher walked in, I felt it right away, like omg, I really wanted to know how Reina would react and her face was just amazing, I howled with laughter
I thought they were gonna hold hands again tbh. That reminds me, how would it have been if, Reina wanted to hold hands, or if Kumiko had misunderstood the high five and intertwined their fingers instead? I imagine that it'd be funny, and that they'd laugh and then just keep holding hands instead haha. That could be a good fanart/comic strip idea

Plot-wise, I thought it was interesting too. The club drama relies a lot on character relationships, and seeing Kumiko running around, talking to so many people, well, it's refreshing. It's not something that involves her at all, yet she's making all this effort and trying to understand those girls.

This, along with her mustering up her courage to tell Nozomi-senpai about how it can't be helped that she's in the competition and how Natsuki-senpai isn't, are good examples of how she's grown since mid-season 1. We know that she's changed to some extent, but it's nice to see clear reminders of how that development is affecting her behavior in the long run, that although it's still difficult for her, she's kept Reina's words in mind. (I'd say that, concerning the competition and possible tension with the non-competing senpai, both Natsuki and Reina influenced Kumiko, but the flashback Kumiko had was the one in which she loudly encouraged and pushed Reina forward. It's nice that, as much as it was a crucial scene to Reina, it was just as important for Kumiko. They both entered each other's lives and they both became...... warmer(?) It's lovely.)

There was this distant, sorta dismissive side to both of them. and now we have them both interacting more casually with others, particularly Kumiko, her going out of her way and getting involved in the current issue/sub plot, because what she's witnessing conflicts with how she feels
I was probably neutral when it concerned Kumiko, previously. I'm not sure when, but perhaps, mid season 1 maybe, I started enjoying her as the main character more and more. She's a good narrator, she makes funny remarks, she's expressive (both visually and audibly, the voice acting is great) and I don't know, I just started finding her more and more interesting.

Oh and the exchange with Mizore was interesting too, she really reminds me of Reina. Their conversation, how awkward Kumiko is, yep. Mizore states pretty direct opinions and Kumiko just isn't too sure what to say and all, but she's still as honest as before and just... says things haha. Bet she didn't think she'd have to go through that again, after the first big boss became an ally and joined the party

To reply you must either login or sign up.