Forum › The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness discussion

joined Aug 4, 2014

Yes, another excellent chapter

Shame it was a bit shorter than the other ones

joined Oct 12, 2013

I really can't see someone actually going through this kind of issue . It seems so unreal and full of overly stimulated anxiety .

Man, I sure wish I were you.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

God this manga and the comments are the ultimate way to get depressed.
Though I do really enjoy the manga :)

Strange. I found each new chapter more and more cathartic than depressing. The first one was extremely dark, but I realize now that it was necessary to make the story of the author-protagonist regaining a measure of control over her own life as impactful as it could possibly get.

Yeah I guess you're right... Though eventually in the end it's not that depressing, it's just the fact that so many people here have experienced all kinds of stuff said in the manga and it's kind of... Overwhelming I guess... Well yes I do relate to some stuff but not to the extremes as presented in the manga. Like I had some problem with bulimia but after like 4 monyhs I regained my composure and managed to stop, and yeah during that time I had some struggles with depression, but my personality luckily made it so that I could fairly quickly (compared to other people) resolve those issues myself. Like the extreme situations in this manga, that some heavy shet... And apparently lots of people here experience that heavy shet....

last edited at Sep 18, 2016 5:37PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Gotta agree, I suffered burnout at one point a few years ago, and that only gave me a taste of the sort of things she goes through. It's difficult explaining this stuff to people who haven't even had that taste.

Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

I really can't see someone actually going through this kind of issue . It seems so unreal and full of overly stimulated anxiety .

Keep on truckin', don't read this stuff, and give existentialism a wide berth.

Alternatively, read David Foster Wallace's short story "The Depressed Person." Pdf is available after some quick googling.

Or, play Depression Quest, which is free on Steam.

last edited at Sep 18, 2016 6:08PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

As you can see by the amount of people that replied to your comment, it's WAY more common than you think it is

Fueko
joined Mar 16, 2016

This continues to be great. I'm really grateful for the translation. I found this by chance, and now I check back pretty often just hoping to find the next chapter! Been a while since i was so invested in something currently running.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

auikimaya posted:

As you can see by the amount of people that replied to your comment, it's WAY more common than you think it is

And some people may have it worse, I'm doing much better lately so I'm not one (mostly thanks to my friends), and there are traits of her that I'm glad we don't share... But I still have some "bald spots" that even with anonymity I'm not willing to talk about them here... I wish they could disappear with time just like hers.

joined Aug 4, 2014

Hah

You truly are a detestable piece of garbage

This isn't even the worst of what anxiety can do to a person

But keep living in your bubble

last edited at Sep 18, 2016 10:28PM

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Yeesh. Tone it down a bit. I thought it was a pretty bad post too, but there's no real need to react like that.

last edited at Sep 18, 2016 10:31PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Agree with Pepper here, the reaction's a wee bit overboard.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

God this manga and the comments are the ultimate way to get depressed.
Though I do really enjoy the manga :)

Strange. I found each new chapter more and more cathartic than depressing. The first one was extremely dark, but I realize now that it was necessary to make the story of the author-protagonist regaining a measure of control over her own life as impactful as it could possibly get.

Yeah I guess you're right... Though eventually in the end it's not that depressing, it's just the fact that so many people here have experienced all kinds of stuff said in the manga and it's kind of... [snip] And apparently lots of people here experience that heavy shet....

That is true, and I think that it is why this manga resonated with so many readers. The author really lays bare the biggest malaises of her generation in a way I don't remember anyone else putting it, and in doing so, shows all of us (and herself, hopefully) that a) we're not alone in going through this stuff, b) it's alright to talk about it, and c) that dragon can be beaten. That's why I think this manga is not depressing at all (post chapter one).

last edited at Sep 19, 2016 2:38AM

12079104_177422205932344_3449372537968036989_n
joined May 27, 2016

Hah

You truly are a detestable piece of garbage

This isn't even the worst of what anxiety can do to a person

But keep living in your bubble

She's a "detestable piece of garbage" because she can't relate to someone else's depression or anxiety? Because she's never experienced that herself? Wow, that's a pretty narrow-minded perspective. Do you realize how absurd that sounds? "You're a detestable piece of garbage because you don't suffer from anxiety like I do/like other people do." Or "You're a detestable piece of garbage because you don't understand what anxiety is like." Well hot-dang girl! Be patient and teach her, then. Many people are fully capable of learning and growing. No need to write them off as a "detestable piece of garbage."

And just because someone doesn't deal with anxiety or depression doesn't mean they live in a bubble either, it just means they were made differently. Everybody has their own unique struggles and perspective that not everyone can relate to - and that's okay. So chill, fam. And be patient with those who are different than you.

EDIT: Just noticed Staff and Moderator addressed your comment... but I'll still leave mine so as to elaborate why it's an over-reaction. I apologize if it's a little inciting.

last edited at Sep 19, 2016 6:52PM

joined Jun 30, 2015

It can get much, much worse to be honest. This person at least seems to want to move to happiness.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

It can get much, much worse to be honest. This person at least seems to want to move to happiness.

Considering that people die because of anxiety... yeah, it can get much, much worse.

Icon
joined Mar 8, 2015

I love this series so far, I'm really incredibly close to purchasing the book. I don't have precisely the same experiences as this writer but I do find what she talks about very relatable, and it's refreshing to read such a real and vulnerable story. I'm very glad it's being translated!

A3
joined Sep 18, 2016

still waiting for the lesbian prostitute to appear...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Miss Pickles posted:

We saw her in the 1st chapter.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nya-chan posted:

Miss Pickles posted:

We saw her in the 1st chapter.

Yeah is not about the goal, but the journey °-°)

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Other's have said it better but even without suffering from close to half of what the lead character in this story has, it still comes off as relatable. I find this very believable. It's interesting that some read this and still can't see this being someone's life.

And did it have to stop there?! I want to see this 'quest for a hug' completed! Seriously though. I want to see what our lead learns from the experience and this chapter had me half thinking she wouldn't go through with it.

last edited at Sep 20, 2016 4:56PM

Kourei
joined Jun 11, 2015

Wonderful metaphors as always. This is not just someone's courageous battle against depression. This is a piece of art and literature at the same time. I know that's been the case since the beginning, but the descriptions of the process of overcoming self barriers are much more beautiful now.
...I remember someone labeling Nagata-sensei's mind as beautiful in this forum once. And some had argued that with issues like hers, it might not be called as far as beautiful. I think this chapter just wronged this view. I even call her genius now. The emotions as complicated as these ones cannot be accurately described after all.
She's a beautiful mind. Strong and brave to add.
Yes, she was suffering (and might still be). But illness was never a barricade to exemplary. This might just be another (slightly askew) variety of Hellen Keller for all we know (in its own views, that is).
Here in chapter 3, where reality is unpleasant, she was able to reach some level of hopefulness and awareness and love (for herself). And to place one foot forwards to overcome her suffering (to reach independence at the same time) is truly beautiful enough to be praised more than to pity. To be cheered on more than to be sympathized.
If Nagata-sensei was finding praise from her parents, then even if she had not yet, she definitely had mine.

And as we await for chapter 4, I, too have many hopes for the antagonist (and Nagata-sensei all the same), and for my absorption of this beautiful piece.

Wolfsister%20cara
joined Feb 10, 2013

This continues to be great. I'm really grateful for the translation. I found this by chance, and now I check back pretty often just hoping to find the next chapter! Been a while since i was so invested in something currently running.

You know, you can subscribe in it to receive the news in your email. It's pretty useful and convenient. ^^

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

You know, you can subscribe in it to receive the news in your email. It's pretty useful and convenient. ^^

It took me a while to find the Subscribe function myself, so here is a quick primer for the newcomers' sake: while on the series' page (not individual chapters, that won't work!), click on the "bullet list" button just to the left of your nickname in the top-right corner of the page. A dropdown menu should appear, with the option "Subscribed" at the bottom, which you should then click on. To make sure that the process was completed properly, open the "Lists" tab in the top navigation bar and check under "Subscribed".

last edited at Sep 22, 2016 2:32PM

joined Aug 4, 2014

That is a really interesting journey deep into somebody's psyche. I am surprised how many very personal details and thoughts author is ready to reveal and it's served in very approachable and relatable manner.

Ava
joined Dec 25, 2013

"But how do I open up my heart to other people...?
In the first place, do people really open their hearts to each other?"

You ask the right questions, girl...

To reply you must either login or sign up.