Forum › Hana and Hina After School discussion

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

PS
I'm sorry for jumping to wrong conclusions though and hurting the TL's feelings. I sure could've presented my original concern in less arrogant, more respectful and friendly manner. I'll try to keep it in mind in the future.

It wasn't my feelings that got hurt. I'm chill, yo. x)

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Therefore, I think that "I haven't yet worked here for half a year, and I'll feel bad for the manager... but I'm going to quit" works a lot better.

No.

At the very least, this certainly resolves the ambiguity about the duration aspect and the now time.

There isn't one.

The possible time skip hypothesis simply cannot survive in this case, at all.

There isn't one. It's legit cus you don't understand the sentence.

and you have to WTF how things come to this weird time skip

You don't. It's just you.

Man, don't you know anyone fluent in English you could ask? Sure, there's been like at least 3 English speakers who told you that the sentence is fine, that it's just you, but if that isn't sufficient, can't you just find and ask someone you would actually trust?

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

All Morinaga Milk stories take place in the same universe. It's a magical realism / urban fantasy thing where little demons exist whose task is to prevent girls from communicating with each other. Hijinks (and tears) ensue.

joined Jan 11, 2015

All Morinaga Milk stories take place in the same universe. It's a magical realism / urban fantasy thing where little demons exist whose task is to prevent girls from communicating with each other. Hijinks (and tears) ensue.

Well we can't just have characters being happy, now can we? ;p

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 2:39PM

joined Feb 9, 2013

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but I was one of the people who also got confused by that phrasing. It's not inherently wrong nor bad English but it certainly can induce confusion. I think it has more to do with your expectation of the story (as in, whether you saw it coming and therefore understood it better) rather than fluency of the language.

Perhaps it could be replaced by something like "Even though I have yet to work for half a year" or even "Even though I've only worked here for less than half a year."

joined Oct 12, 2013

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but I was one of the people who also got confused by that phrasing. It's not inherently wrong nor bad English but it certainly can induce confusion. I think it has more to do with your expectation of the story (as in, whether you saw it coming and therefore understood it better) rather than fluency of the language.

Perhaps it could be replaced by something like "Even though I have yet to work for half a year" or even "Even though I've only worked here for less than half a year."

Both of those sound really awkward and unnatural to me though. The best alternative I can think of to clear up any apparent ambiguity would be "Even though I've worked here for less than half a year" and I'd still be more inclined to the original translation personally. Not that I know what the original line in moon is.

Has the line confused any native English speakers?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't know about wrong or unnatural, but both suggestions seem much more formal than something a teenage girl would say, even a fairly mature one.

joined Feb 9, 2013

Both of those sound really awkward and unnatural to me though. The best alternative I can think of to clear up any apparent ambiguity would be "Even though I've worked here for less than half a year" and I'd still be more inclined to the original translation personally. Not that I know what the original line in moon is.

Has the line confused any native English speakers?

Or maybe just add "yet" at the end, like ""I haven't even been working here for half a year yet."

I don't know about wrong or unnatural, but both suggestions seem much more formal than something a teenage girl would say, even a fairly mature one.

Yea, agreed.

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 3:39PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

And Hina's not even mature, she just looks older than she is.

joined Jan 11, 2015

Good gawd, this shite never ends...=_="

The original text is "まだ半年も働いてないのに". Let's break this shit down, alright?
[ ] shows words added to make sense in English.

"まだ" means "not yet".
"半年" means "half a year".
"も" is a particle that roughly translates of "even/as well/also".
"働いてない" is the negative present continuous form of "働く", thus it means " [am] not working".
"のに" means "although/in spite of".

"まだ半年も" becomes "[not] even half a year yet".
Add the rest to that, "まだ半年も働いてないのに", and the straight translation becomes "Not [been] working [here] [for] even half a year yet". From the context, we know that Hinako is talking about herself, thus " [I] [have] not [been] working [here] [for] even half a year yet.", and turning that into more proper and fluid everyday English, we get, "I haven't even worked here half a year".

And no, that's not ambiguous. <.<

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 4:24PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

And Hina's not even mature, she just looks older than she is.

My point was even if she was fairly mature, she'd still be unlikely to deliver the suggested line(s).

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

If nothing else, Ropponmatsu, this is an interesting peek into the mechanics of translation.

joined Jan 11, 2015

If nothing else, Ropponmatsu, this is an interesting peek into the mechanics of translation.

Japanese is one of those languages that make sense when you know what it means, but if you try to explain it, it sounds really damn weird, lol. I did my best. >_<

joined Feb 9, 2013

Good gawd, this shite never ends...=_="

I'm here to deliver! :D

It's not that I found it massively ambiguous or anything. I was only confused for half a second as I continued reading the next boxes and then retroactively understood the correct meaning almost immediately. It's perfectly good English and it flows well, better than all the alternative suggestions.

But if you weren't pre-computing what's supposed to be happening and you just see this line "I haven't even been working for half a year", it has more than one possible meanings and you don't necessarily default to the right one. This did happen to me if only for a fraction of a second and I just wanna put it out here when several are outright saying there's absolutely no possible confusion.

Of course translators have to weigh between faithfulness, flow, possible unintended meaning etc. etc. and settling on the chosen phrasing is perfectly fine. Not here to diss on them or anything. Just discussing.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

But if you weren't pre-computing what's supposed to be happening...

This is probably where the confusion comes from for a non-native speaker. English likes to make a lot of things somewhat vague and then has you do a lot of "pre-computing": expecting you to draw a lot from from context plus assuming you already know some very non-intuitive rules and informal conventions.

English is a cruel, schizophrenic mistress.

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 5:59PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Add the rest to that, "まだ半年も働いてないのに", and the straight translation becomes "Not [been] working [here] [for] even half a year yet". From the context, we know that Hinako is talking about herself, thus " [I] [have] not [been] working [here] [for] even half a year yet.", and turning that into more proper and fluid everyday English, we get, "I haven't even worked here half a year".

LOL, I totally agree actually! Please note the use of Perfect Simple in your fluid everyday example ;) Also note you skipped のに which links two sentences in Japanese and gives quite some context.

Out of curiosity, are all native speakers here British or American?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Canadian.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Irish. and I will be peeved if you call me British.

joined Apr 28, 2016

Surely.

joined Oct 12, 2013

Surely.

It's a thing that happens from a place of ignorance rather than malice, but it peeves me none the less.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

takachi posted:

Also note you skipped のに which links two sentences in Japanese and gives quite some context.

They didn't. It is translated as "I haven't even worked here half a year." While " Despite not having worked here half a year." is more direct translation, the one that was used works perfectly fine and is easily understandable. I didn't read the chapter and I understood what the sentence was supposed to mean no problem. Also I personally would add "yet" at end of it, but that is just my preference.

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 7:56PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Canadian.

Also Canadian. And I happen to know, so is Nezchan. Odd coincidence, what?
Incidentally, I believe (at least some) Chinese educational authorities have decided to standardize on teaching Canadian English because it's the most . . . neutral. Words pronounced closest to dictionary, a nice compromise between the various American and British Englishes.

joined Apr 28, 2016

Surely.

It's a thing that happens from a place of ignorance rather than malice, but it peeves me none the less.

Tried to make a joke, but I screwed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

last edited at Aug 11, 2016 9:44PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Surely.

Tried to make a joke, but I screwed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Oh wow, I missed that completely, sorry! Now I feel like a dope.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Canadian.

Same.

To reply you must either login or sign up.