Forum › Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan discussion

Mato-san%201%201
joined Jan 10, 2015

Taking note, do not read this at night. Now I'm hungry T.T

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Futari gohan : will put a smile on your face and a rumble in your stomach.

Sakamoto%20nichijou%20tissues-min
joined Jan 20, 2016

Dear gods why did I read this. Ugh Now I'm going to raid my house for food. Also that credits page made me smile

last edited at Jun 28, 2016 10:46AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Interesting. Looking it up online, it seems like cooking in a Ziploc or similar bag is pretty much safe, although boiling water can be a problem since the bag can possibly melt.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

bachou posted:

just another crappy generic cooking manga, got bored at chapter 4. Not enough yuri. 2/10

It's an interesting read regardless of whether there's yuri or not, lol.

joined Jun 12, 2015

bachou posted:

just another crappy generic cooking manga, got bored at chapter 4. Not enough yuri. 2/10

It's an interesting read regardless of whether there's yuri or not, lol.

Well, I partially agree with bachou. If you are not into food there is nothing interesting here. Anyone can tell my why food fetish is so popular in Japan?

joined Jan 8, 2016

Gotcha, it's a fetish if you are passionate about it, like all those sports manga that are actually just sports fetishes.

Also, if it was just the food, I wouldn't be reading it, I like Sachi and Ayaris interactions and the art is awesome so screw off.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Not like a fascination with food is a Japanese-only thing. It's common in fiction, and often comics, around the world. Sexual fascination, too.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Not like a fascination with food is a Japanese-only thing. It's common in fiction, and often comics, around the world. Sexual fascination, too.

Yeah, but isn't it a cultural thing in Japan? That food is a very important part of their life or something?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, but isn't it a cultural thing in Japan? That food is a very important part of their life or something?

Same goes for France, Italy, Mexico, etc. Japan has its own version, but it's not unique to them. And indeed, all those have media that is absolutely fascinated with food.

joined May 7, 2015

Definitely the food artworks here are incredible.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

A lot of yuri artists were tweeting about this manga actually. So, who knows if they know it's really yuri. For now I'm keeping mah goggles on.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Author did plenty of yuri, so I have good hope. And hey, Ayari did say that Sachi's pudding is delicious. How would she know if she didn't have a taste already ? :3

joined Aug 12, 2013

Cooking roast beef in Japan sounds complicated. I'm pretty sure you can just toss the roast in a roasting pan with chunks of potatoes, carrots, onions, etc., add some water (I think), cover with the lid, and cook it in the oven. After it's done, put the veggies in a bowl for serving, put the roast on a serving plate thingy, and add salt, pepper, flour, and perhaps a bit of onion soup powder to the juices in the pan to make gravy.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Cooking roast beef in Japan sounds complicated. I'm pretty sure you can just toss the roast in a roasting pan with chunks of potatoes, carrots, onions, etc., add some water (I think), cover with the lid, and cook it in the oven. After it's done, put the veggies in a bowl for serving, put the roast on a serving plate thingy, and add salt, pepper, flour, and perhaps a bit of onion soup powder to the juices in the pan to make gravy.

It's not just a Japanese thing. Like a lot of the recipes in this series, it's an established method in this case called sous vide in French that can be done with a variety of foods.

Although for the recipes I'm seeing, an hour at 60C and resting for an hour isn't nearly enough time for a roast that size, and most recipes call for at least 12, if not 24 hours or more.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Now I wanna eat some takoyaki. At least, reading it just before lunch gives me an appetite. :3

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Ch.9.The part with salting and maiming live octopus kinda turned me off making it.
Also, the "weak flour" mentioned a couple of times, is it actually wheat flour?

Femshep%20x%20liara%20avatar
joined Dec 8, 2013

Poor Octopus-san. :(

I wish people didn't feel the need to salt and boil their seafood alive, even if it does make it more convenient.

last edited at Aug 2, 2016 7:00AM

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

I somehow feel sorry for that Octopus.... =(

Ch.9.The part with salting and maiming live octopus kinda turned me off making it.
Also, the "weak flour" mentioned a couple of times, is it actually wheat flour?

Wiki says:

Wheat varieties are called "soft" or "weak" if gluten content is low, and are called "hard" or "strong" if they have high gluten content. Hard flour, or bread flour, is high in gluten, with 12% to 14% gluten content, its dough has elastic toughness that holds its shape well once baked. Soft flour is comparatively low in gluten and thus results in a loaf with a finer, crumbly texture. Soft flour is usually divided into cake flour, which is the lowest in gluten, and pastry flour, which has slightly more gluten than cake flour.

last edited at Aug 2, 2016 7:35AM

Canaan2
joined May 9, 2013

So at what point was that octopus supposed to be dead? Did it die when she was cramming a bunch of salt into its face? Or did it die after being lowered slowly into a pot of boiling water, tentacles first, for the sake of making it curl in an attractive and convenient manner?

joined Aug 11, 2014

Always wondered why Japanese cartoon octopi always look bright red and curled up. It's kind of funny how that's become the recognisable visual shorthand for even living octopus characters, if that's just what happens when they're boiled.

Seafood can be pretty brutal when it comes to cooking things alive. I get that it's standard practise, and everything, but it still makes my skin crawl.

last edited at Aug 2, 2016 11:27AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

yeah, 'cause obviously, the only reason she put that octopus in boiling water was just to make it all cute for her sister, not because that might make its flesh more tender or something...

I'd expect it to be dead and emptied at this point, personally.

E065_1
joined Dec 3, 2015

This manga makes me hungry lol That takoyaki looks great tho

N hey having two girls who know cooking skills by ur side is like a dream becoming true LOL (I mean they can cook a lot of delicious food, n more great if they can teach or cook for u) Hoooooo

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Snapshot%20eye
joined Mar 23, 2012

Poor Octopus-san. :(

I wish people didn't feel the need to salt and boil their seafood alive, even if it does make it more convenient.

It's not really about the convenience when it comes to seafood, it's more about freshness, especially for seafood the fresher the better. Chicken, pork or beef can be stored fresh frozen or near freezing temperatures for some time. However, seafood cannot retain their freshness nearly enough once they are dead, since seafood tends to go bad very quickly. Even if they are frozen, seafood loses a large portion of their flavor once they are frozen. This is one of the prime reason you really only see really good seafood restaurants near the source of their catch or they own a temporary tank to keep the seafood alive but increases the cost due to the extra maintenance.

To reply you must either login or sign up.