Forum › Looking for different kind Yuri

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Been losing interest in Yuri mangas, kinda looking for non-yuri centric stuff that has yuri in it. Been spending more time scouring exhentai for stuff cuz I am just... going for yuri hentai nowadays.

(Be it manga/comics. NOT looking for text-only stuff.)
(I've seen a lot of non-yuri anime with side yuri, doubt that someone would recommend something I don't know about).

Yuri as a genre really does not have much to offer other than the fluffy one-shots and typical soap opera dramas, latter which hardly appeal to me... And I feel like a lot of even the initially most refreshingly-different works just go down the pit holes that every other yuri manga ever goes into.

Looking for stuff like, say... Gamma, even tho the yuri element in that was not-so-well handled. Or the anime for Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon was amusing, and Dofus had yuri going on mostly offscreen, but quite the nice touch. I kinda want something with a plot going on that is not just the yuri in on itself. But I don't really know where to look for it...

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 4:51AM

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Murcielago? YuriCam? Valkyrie Drive?

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 5:41AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Well Loveless had some 3 episodes focused on yuri and they were really good, but the yaoi and everything else is kinda crappy

Boku wa Mari no Naka is kind of a supernatural mystery manga that gets a yuri focus later on but still has the main plot to deal with

That's... All i have i guess

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Mai Hime?

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Boku wa Mari no Naka is kind of a supernatural mystery manga that gets a yuri focus later on but still has the main plot to deal with

That's... All i have i guess

YUSSSS
I'm trying to read that rn lmao, it's pretty interesting
(altho i spoiled some parts for myself beforehand ;____; rip)

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kyonne posted:

Well the yuri status of it is arguable.

I'll try to check if I know anything, but only thing that comes right now to mind that isn't yuri but has yuri side plot in it is Joou-sama no Eshi, but you probably already know that one too.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 6:46PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Murcielago? YuriCam? Valkyrie Drive?

already seen, murcielago kinda has me tired of it.
YuriCam is "eh".
Valkyrie Drive was trashy, but amusing.

Mai Hime?

Done long ago... didn't really care much about the plot.

Well Loveless had some 3 episodes focused on yuri and they were really good, but the yaoi and everything else is kinda crappy

Done. Also:
Yuri couple had a bad ending in the manga it seems. Something like their marks disappearing equating to their "lesbian phase" ending. and they broke off. or something like that.

gonna check Boku wa Mari no Naka

and Joou-sama no Eshi is one I've kept updated on the forum, it seems to be handled "fine, but not well" - say that cuz the topic of her being homosexual is treated seriously at some points, but then falls back with its perverted lesbian gag. It's kinda obvious that the yuri aint gonna happen, even with the latest chapter, simply by looking at interactions between the male characters and the girls. Don't expect much from it.. actually, expect the worst. -

I feel like I am a hard sell + not much to actually find.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 8:51PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

flips posted:

Well it is interesting series overall but the yuri-ness of it is questionable, at least if you are not viewing gender simply by what person has between legs.

and Joou-sama no Eshi is one I've kept updated on the forum, it seems to be handled "fine, but not well" - say that cuz the topic of her being homosexual is treated seriously at some points, but then falls back with its perverted lesbian gag. It's kinda obvious that the yuri aint gonna happen, even with the latest chapter, simply by looking at interactions between the male characters and the girls. Don't expect much from it.. actually, expect the worst. -

Honestly I read it because I love the comedy and I got the vibe that my favorite character of the series is a lesbian pretty soon, so when it turned out I was totally right, I felt like it was just a great bonus to already great series. And yes, I'm not expecting it to end with yuri, cos het end was clear from the start, but I don't mind as it wasn't why i started to read it in the first place. Honestly Yukimori just being her awesome perverted self is enough and I don't really think she is a gag. From the beginning her character was pretty perverted, before it was even hinted she has thing for girls.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

I am just peaking from the yuri aspect, as a manga it has its fun comedy.

Also not saying the character is a gag, saying that the perverted lesbian thing is in on itself a gag (that I've seen it quite a lot). Only difference I see is that her being a lesbian is not entirely a gag, i.e. the character herself is not THE gag and being a lesbian is part of the character. And that is why I sticked around to read it. Otherwise, I'd just walk away from it.

It's passable, enough for me not to instantly trash it.

Just dishing out warnings regarding yuri, as I always do when pointing out yuri in non-yuri works.

last edited at Jun 1, 2016 10:25PM

joined Sep 21, 2014

flips posted:

Well it is interesting series overall but the yuri-ness of it is questionable, at least if you are not viewing gender simply by what person has between legs.

Did you read it? :O
I heard that shit went down or something in the last/recent chapters

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Have you read Sunstone? it's a yuri comic. (?)

joined Sep 21, 2014

OH, what about Go Get A Roomie? It's a series of comic strips
The art starts off very drafty and awks and it seems to be a lot of lesbian dirty jokes but it actually develops VERY nicely
The two main characters are an aromantic lesbian and an asexual woman + a diverse af bunch of side characters, all very pleasant and lovable
It's heartwarming, feels good to read, funny, and pretty endearing. It eventually becomes a lot about self discovery and facing inner demons too. Here are example of character dynamics and well, the art evolution

Idk how to explain it but the "cast" is.. super diverse?
Gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, intersex, bdsm, straight, aro, ace, poly, friends with benefits, open relationships, uuhh.. yeah, lots of different people

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 3:22AM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Yuri couple had a bad ending in the manga it seems. Something like their marks disappearing equating to their "lesbian phase" ending. and they broke off. or something like that.

That's some bullshit right there

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

sounds like a good time to re-read Qualia the Purple.

That's some bullshit right there

thats not what i heard (or what wikipedia says happens).

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 8:03AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Faust posted:

flips posted:

I'm up to date. Well it depends what exactly you understand by shit went down. Stuff happened, but series pretty much keeps the status quo on "I'm so confused about the plot".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Faust posted:

flips posted:

I'm up to date. Well it depends what exactly you understand by shit went down. Stuff happened, but series pretty much keeps the status quo on "I'm so confused about the plot".

It's still confusing because the status of "is it supernatural or not?" has not been solved. Though I doubt it's supernatural, because Komori continues on living his own life.

But, I still hope for a fusion of all the personalities and that this one will be in love with Yori

Lol%203
joined Sep 4, 2015

There's Banana no Nana, I think it fits the bill rather well. Only problem is that the ending was horrifically rushed. There is a super hero web comic called Spinnerette where the main character ends up in a relationship with another woman, so don't let the beginning fool you. I also feel it's worth mentioning Gunnerkrigg Court the yuri involves a secondary character and takes quite a while to show up.

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

^ don't mind suggesting stuff thats already on this website (unless its a suggestion in general for others to take a look at) cuz I already know of everything here.

thats not what i heard (or what wikipedia says happens).

not sure where I read it, it was looooooong ago - so my memory might be failing me. kinda hope it is. but eeeeh~ in the end, don't really care, to be honest.

OH, what about Go Get A Roomie? It's a series of comic strips

already know bout it, might check back in again, only seen a bit of the "latest" stuff months ago.

Well, now have a few to check out.

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 4:32PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

read some stuff suggested.

Boku wa Mari no Naka - was fine, kinda stopped caring tho.

Go Get A Roomie - did not click with me, was kinda boring.

Qualia the Purple - did not care for the plot.

Gunnerkrigg Court - have not started, would like to know where the yuri happens

Spinnerette - website for this comic does not load for shit, like, does not load images at all for me.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Confession at chapter 42. Another implied yuri couple is among the side-characters.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think the amount of stuff that's not yuri-centric but has yuri in it is almost endless.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

There's Banana no Nana, I think it fits the bill rather well. Only problem is that the ending was horrifically rushed. There is a super hero web comic called Spinnerette where the main character ends up in a relationship with another woman, so don't let the beginning fool you. I also feel it's worth mentioning Gunnerkrigg Court the yuri involves a secondary character and takes quite a while to show up.

I followed GC from the beginning and a lot of us were sad it wasn't Annie with Kat instead of Paz. You can't see that scene of them getting drunk together and not wish that! Not that anyone disliked the Paz character, but ... in the overall context of beat up on Antimony, it's Tuesday, she didn't get the girl who heroically rescued her and said her going missing was one of the low points of her life, calling each other "dearest," etc. Then Kat zigzags to boy transfer student then to new girl. Meanwhile Annie gets a little ship tease with both Jack and his maybe-crush Zimmy, producing the framework of a love quadrangle with Zimmy's partner Gamma, etc. not to mention Reynard, and probably James, being in love with her cuz they think she's her dead mother ... meanwhile Annie never gets anyone. Plus her father returns, mentally ill and maybe alcoholic :)

Tumblr_lolhmrwbnl1qiyxpbo4_250
joined Jun 22, 2016

How about To aru kagaku no Railgun or Kurau Phantom Memory?
Black Rock Shooter the OVA?
NANA?
Appleseed the remake had a few yuri vibes as well... if I remember correctly...
Mnemosyne?
Maria Holic?
Blood C – The last dark?
Bubblegum Crisis?
Canaan?
Claymore?
Ga-Rei Zero?
Ghost in the Shell? There were some hints in the tv show...
Kill la Kill?
Noir?
Psycho Pass? They have Shion and Yayoi...
Read or Die?
Red Garden?
Serial Experiments LAIN?
Or my favorite: Devil Lady ^^b

Those are all a little different. All with some kind of yuri or at least hints of the same...

Please tell me there was at least one that you didn't watch already! ^^

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

^ already know about all of those.

Kinda why I am inclined to ask about manga/comics.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Confession at chapter 42. Another implied yuri couple is among the side-characters.

Don't skip to that though. If you want to just read it for the gay, you'd be mightily disappointed, despite the cuteness of it. It's well worth reading the whole thing though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.