Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Sfffffffff
joined Dec 12, 2014

Why do the characters always act like nothing happened in the previous chapter. They think about it, but they don't call the other person out on it. Like you know, Seol-A can ask No-Rae about that almost kiss, or No-Rae could ask Seol-A about that night she sung for her and why Seol-A suddenly went outside. (and the other moments they could have confronted each other)

I mean... why do they always leave things the way it is?

Utena-240x146
joined Sep 13, 2015

The real problem is that Sungpyo is practically stalking No-Rae here. What needs to be done is Seol-A should call the police on his ass, so they can have him arrested so he doesn't show up conveniently to be a cock-block. I had a feeling No-Rae would probably go all the way if she wasn't bat shit drunk. She just needs liquid courage to get her brain to shut the fuck up and go with her fluttering feelings.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

No-rae probably just breathed in Seol-A's neck lol. Because when Seol-A was asking if No-rae bit or something she said no, and that it was just sudden. She was just embarassed that No-Rae acted so touchy.
Sung-Pyo showing up this time is normal, as this was a campus party and everyone from the college was invited.

I think there is a progression in their feelings. They seem to get more blushing and embarassed by things they wouldn't mind in the past, so this is the character progression regarding the romance.
Also acting as if nothing happened is something a lot of people do irl. I'd even say more than half do it

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 10:00AM

joined Aug 18, 2015

Why do the characters always act like nothing happened in the previous chapter. They think about it, but they don't call the other person out on it. Like you know, Seol-A can ask No-Rae about that almost kiss, or No-Rae could ask Seol-A about that night she sung for her and why Seol-A suddenly went outside. (and the other moments they could have confronted each other)

I mean... why do they always leave things the way it is?

imo it is not easy to confront the one u r crushing on while not know if they r gay. idk love make u weak-second guessing yourself. There are just so much on the line. One mistep, it could ruin ya. It's strange that it was much easier for me to come out to my mom.

joined Jun 10, 2015

I really want to draw something but my hands hurt as fork from all the rough works I had to do yesterday._. urgh
there's an angsty headcannon in my mind, like what if after they reached No-rae's place Sung-pyo excused himself away and Seol-a stayed. what if after making sure No-rae was safe in her bed, Seol-a, who didn't exactly have a full stomach from the party, decided to navigate through No-rae's kitchen to make ramen? cues dilemma, internal monologue and mental flashbacks about everything. we'd find our Baek Seol-a watching over a pot of boiling ramen, sighing forlornly, not knowing that a shadow loomed behind her, ready to pounce... oh wait this isn't an apocalypse or horror au.

N: silently snakes her arms around Seol-a and backhugs her

S: "Eeep!" glances behind, a ramen-spoon in hand "No-rae? You... you surprised me!"

N: "*Grrrwl!*" it was supposed to sound like a cute growling sound but whatever "Ha-ha... swolly..."

S: "What are you doing? Isn't your head hurt?"

N: nuzzles on Seol-a's back because let's be real, bae's too short to rest her head on Seol's tall shoulder "Mm hmm..."

S: "You should be resting..."

N: makes a whining, disagreeing sound "I wanna see you..."

S: freezes

N: continues to mumble "Your back'z comfy... d'ya know your back comfy? Ayyy... why're ya so tall...? You should be the big spoon..."

S: "What..." closes eyes and exhales slowly through her mouth "No-rae... you're drunk, you should--"

N: tightens her hug when Seol-a tries to turn around "Noooo, don't move... I can't face ya when I'm 'bout ta say disss..."

S: "Say what...?"

N: nuzzles to Seol-a's back again and whispers in a muffled voice "That I liiiike you..."

S: "............"

N: "There's no way I coulda say da while lookin' at ya..."

S: "No-Rae--"

N: voice turns serious "Please don't... don't deny me..."

S: "............"

N: "Please just say 'okay, I understand' and pretend that you mean it..."

I like you, too.

I wish I had said it before your snore began to fill the room,
I wish I had said it before my opportunity dies yet again,
if only to make this heavy weight in my heart a little bit lighter.

I wish I could say it
someday,
when you're not wasted,
and when I can convince you
that I
do mean every word...

oh, did I say angsty?

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 2:31PM

joined Jun 10, 2015

@Win168

Years ago, i fall in love with my roommate. Even though she obviously make a move on me, like always insist to sleep together on my bunker bed, kiss my face everyday, show jealousy toward my friends and being super clingy, I still couldnt bring myself to believe that she liked me back.

I keep think maybe that just the way she treat her close friend. After all, i know she have many ex-bf and guys can never leave her alone. More over i am an Asian. In my country -Indonesia- this feeling is a sin, even now in 2016 its considered as an infectious disease. I dont know how western people deal with homosexual feeling, but in Asia -till nowdays- its not something easy to accept.

As @FrostBite92 has mentioned, female friends can be really clingy that they confuse you. Someone even told me one time that she found 'an older brother figure she never has' in me which... you know... caught me off guard because it's the first time someone ever said that to me. I didn't know what to respond at that time so I pretended that I've already fallen asleep lol
Anyhow, a friend of mine is one of the few who decide to come out of the closet and... surprise, her parents once sent her to a mental hospital. Now she continues college life with her girlfriend (yes, she's open about it and every of my yearmates in the major practically knows), but she rarely shows up in front of us. I'm never close to her, but whenever others brought her name up in our daily chats I opt to stay silent or turn my attention to my gadget because I'm sick of them making jokes and generating laughs on her expense. I'm not brave enough to scold them out loud, though...

@MacySan

Also acting as if nothing happened is something a lot of people do irl. I'd even say more than half do it

I'm guilty of it tbh, several times. Like when a moment that felt way too intimate happened between me and that someone, I'd be all hesitant to bring it up. Often times it's the case of hey, this atmosphere is nice and I want to bring this fluttering moment up and maybe tell you my feelings but I fear you'll just laugh it off saying "it's nothing" and I'll laugh along with you saying "of course it's nothing" while my heart silently cries inside. There's also a possibility that a moment we framed carefully inside our mind is just a passing memory for the other party, you know? So yeah, acting as if nothing happened actually happens more often than not, especially if you prefer staying as you currently are rather than risking the relationship going awkward or worst, burnt into a smoke of nothingness.

dramaticmode: off.
offtopicmode: off.

sorry for the wall of texts, everyone.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 2:56PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

When you can't make head or tail, or have to build a fantasy, about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is headed, it's not a question of taste, it's just bad writing. Only the characters save this in my eyes.

Even pro mangaka do bad writing sometimes. I'm not casting stones at Ssamba, as I can't write or draw for the life of me, but as a reader of thousands of stories, I can tell she lacks experience and would have needed an editor to help her straighten her storytelling. That's my honest opinion.

If she ever writes something else I hope she will improve.

Nya-chan, you sadden me, your trolling became repetitive and all over the place. I can tell you lack experience and need a girlfriend to help you straighten... censored. That's my honest opinion. I hope you will improve.

Well this was needlessly personal.

joined Aug 18, 2015

When you can't make head or tail, or have to build a fantasy, about what the characters think or why they act the way they do and about where the story is headed, it's not a question of taste, it's just bad writing. Only the characters save this in my eyes.

Even pro mangaka do bad writing sometimes. I'm not casting stones at Ssamba, as I can't write or draw for the life of me, but as a reader of thousands of stories, I can tell she lacks experience and would have needed an editor to help her straighten her storytelling. That's my honest opinion.

If she ever writes something else I hope she will improve.

Nya-chan, you sadden me, your trolling became repetitive and all over the place. I can tell you lack experience and need a girlfriend to help you straighten... censored. That's my honest opinion. I hope you will improve.

I wouldn't say it's needlessly. It wouldnt get personal if she didn't repeatedly attacking the author "personally."

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I wouldn't say it's needlessly. It wouldnt get personal if she didn't repeatedly attacking the author "personally."

I never attacked the author as a person. Nor did I ever "insult" her, as you pretend for that matter.

I just appraised her skills in her author capacity and it's my god given right as a reader, as it is yours to disagree with my appraisal.

To write a work and release it to the world is to expose yourself to criticism of your work. If you can't handle it, don't write or keep it as a diary.

Photopictureresizer_160424_131930125-640x360
joined Jan 13, 2016

Why are some people here are still immature? Calling other people idiots, dumb, or stupid just because they have different opinions of views than them? For God's sake, it's a fictional love story between two female friends. We read it. We discuss it. That's it. When you read or watch something, any person would react differently. Only smart people would answer back with an intelligent reply. If someone does not know about something and states it wrongly, be more courteous by answer it professionally. I don't think we should really get upset just because other people reply something different from us. I like this story. I read it. I get frustrated about it. I may get upset about the pace of it, but I always see it as a fictional story that is meant to be read and discussed about it. It's not meant for readers to call each other idiots or stupid or attacking other readers/commentors or translators. I see that there are too many immature and disrespectful readers here. I am always thankful for those people who actually spend their precious time doing something for free. I also like reading other people's comments. I always take their comments as just comments. Nothing more nothing less. Just opinions on a piece of fictional story.

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

jmv said,
"I wouldn't say it's needlessly. It wouldnt get personal if she didn't repeatedly attacking the author "personally."

No, it wasn't needed really. No one needs to go after another member personally. I get the frustration over having someone rain down negatives on a story you like.
Once in an anime series I liked we had a couple of really bad trolls, I mean worse than Bilbo Baggins ever had to deal with, and while everyone vented their frustrations at them, I realized these trolls were not going to stop me from watching my show, or lesson my joy. After a while I began to laugh at some of their attempts at needling the others, it gets funny sometimes, and over time we just ignored the negative comments that were not at least sensible or intelligent enough to warrant a response, and the trolls faded away, (or turned to stone).

It crosses a line tho when it gets personal, it's not needed, this is not a Donald Trump for president rally, (shudder)

joined Feb 28, 2016

She didn't insult anyone personally that was all you. Nya-chan critiqued the authors ability as a writer not as a person. I don't know why you brought up her personal life, maybe it's because you don't have the evidence to counter her argument? or maybe it's because you just aren't articulate enough to layout a sufficient counter argument. That's my honest opinion. I hope you will improve.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

http://imgur.com/a/1qllm
ch67v2 - now with 100% more FX

I never attacked the author as a person. Nor did I ever "insult" her, as you pretend for that matter.

I just appraised her skills in her author capacity and it's my god given right as a reader, as it is yours to disagree with my appraisal.

To write a work and release it to the world is to expose yourself to criticism of your work. If you can't handle it, don't write or keep it as a diary.

well, you attacked Korean audience altogether - should be banned for that actually xD

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 8:44PM

Sfffffffff
joined Dec 12, 2014

I don't know anymore, the story isn't going anywhere for a while now, but I'm still on the ride because of the little gay moments lmao.

Ahri_by_kittew-d9c0y0n%20-%20copia
joined Mar 13, 2016

last chapter: awks.

Girl%20with%20a%20black%20cat%20avatar
joined Dec 27, 2015

waaaaht said,
"the little gay moments lmao."
Those moments make my day!! Kinda like finding 10 dollars in the dryer yesterday...... Tonight it's PIZZA!

joined Mar 14, 2016

At about 70% of the story, I don't think I'm hasty. And if FF generates so much comments here, it's because while the characterization is good, the way their story is told gives a lot of frustration. It's nice for a moment and you anticipate impatiently the next strip, but after a while it has the opposite effect and you dread the next cockblock.

Maybe it's something cultural to Korea and this story is tailored to a Korean audience who likes to be blueballed.

Giving the audience what they want is one of the worst ways to write a story as quiet and slow-to-develop as FF. The moment you do that, you drop the only stakes and suspense you have to work with, and have potentially killed the drive of the story as a whole.

Not giving the audience might alienate some, but it will create die-hard fans among the majority of the audience. Why? Because people want to see their favorite characters working toward not just any goal, but a seemingly impossible one rife with obstacles and frustrations. That's why shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are so popular. More than that, the possibility of gaining satisfaction/reward, constantly reinforced by small indications of progress here and there, guarantees that people will become even more determined to see this story to the end just to get rid of this frustration and replace it with feelings of satisfaction. It's pure psychology.

As for the Korean blueball theory, all you have to do is take a look at the audience on this website to know how wrong that is. If anything, this is just more proof that FF appeals to a wide range of people from different cultures because of the formula it uses. You just happen to be an outlier.

last edited at Mar 14, 2016 10:32PM

joined Oct 12, 2013

Popularity=/=quality

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, Stretch author didn't give the audience what they wanted (and took a lot of heat for that) but he never pretended it was a romance manga, so I'm okay with it.

FF is a romance story, so audience expects development in that scope. But now, people are more and more lowering their expectations because author-nim is delaying things needlessly.

I honestly hope Ssamba finishes this story properly and gives the characters the happy ending they deserve after going through so much needless drama.

I'm sure at some point, Seol-a and No-rae will kiss and there will be much joy here, and people will take this as a proof I was wrong. But this won't make what came before better in my opinion.

last edited at Mar 15, 2016 2:47AM

joined Mar 13, 2016

What a strange discussion...

Regarding the lack of communication between Seola and Norae the series has already offered one half of the answer. Chapter 66 offers the abbreviated version of what we've seen in the previous couple chapters. Seola is trying to seduce Norae and she has been in many relationships before, "just going with the flow" as it was described. The difference this time around is how Norae behaves and how Seola feels about her. The latter certainly makes it seem like an “I’ve been in many relationships – but this is the first time I’ve been in love with someone”-story. And the former is the obstacle Seola has to “overcome” so-to-speak. Norae is basically stonewalling her whenever she attempts to seduce her and Seola doesn’t know what she’s doing wrong. Also, since she’s in love with her she’s very fearful of actually doing something wrong. And we’ve seen this frustration a couple times now when Seola talks with others about her relationship with Norae.

The other half is Norae. But who knows what’s going on in her head… And I think there isn’t much more you can get out of a Seola POV at this point except to see her suffer until some miracle happens. That’s why the last couple chapters don’t seem like they’ve moved forward the story. Seola herself doesn’t know how to progress. Which is why I think a shift to a Norae-POV is long overdue.

Of course, this is different from the flow of the story. This reaction of “But why aren’t they just talking to each other?! Why’s nothing happening after these big moments?!” is created by the choices Ssamba makes. The writing’s at fault here for creating awful time-jumps between chapters that go against the natural flow of the story and the dialogue and inner monologues don’t reflect the readers’ understanding of the situation. Another reason why it’s hard to get a read on the characters’ mindsets in this series is that Ssamba is very inconsistent in how much access we get to a character’s thoughts. Sometimes we get a chapter like 66 where we get wordy inner monologues from one character, then there are chapters like 64 where you don’t know what anyone’s thinking and in chapter 63 there are only a couple little thought-bubbles. But it’s Norae whose actions seem more questionable as it’s her mostly just reacting to Seolas seduction-attempts and yet you can definitely see how most of the time it’s Seola’s thoughts we see in the last dozen chapters or so.

As for the whole notion of “Maybe it’s made more for Korean audiences.”. Well, Joisea already rightly pointed out that the series has international appeal. The reason for that, I think, is that it’s a romance-story mainly focused on the emotional struggles of the characters. There’s no societal struggle à la “Look how hard it is to be gay!” going on. So the Korean setting is less important and what’s really important are the characters themselves.

joined Mar 14, 2016

Popularity=/=quality

Quality is in the eye of the reader.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Popularity=/=quality

"You're not of the same opinion than the majority, therefore you're wrong" is argumentum at populum.

That I'm an "outlier", as you say, is irrelevant.

last edited at Mar 15, 2016 5:44AM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I'm so curious what's gonna happen next. I really hope for a conversation between Norae's ex and Seola. I wonder what form would it take. Who would speak first? Will Seola's feelings get exposed directly with her stating them? Or would Sungpyo understand them indirectly? Could be nice if Norae heard the conversation and realised she had better chances than she'd thought before.
I also wonder where they would take Norae, her home or Seola's. Does Seola have Norae's key/knows the pass code? I hope it's Seola's, but knowing Ssamba it'd be the opposite, haha. Well, could at least show to Sp how close the girls are if Seola can enter Norae's home anytime.
Kinda hope Sungpyo will mention something about how caring Norae was towards Seola at the ski resort. Perhaps it will give Seola some strength, especially with that kiss/bite on the neck.
I imagine Seola leaving Norae on the bed and then hearing Norae asking her to stay. Just like with Ina, earlier. And then Seola stays sitting next to Norae and then falls asleep. And then Norae wakes up in there morning first feeling extremely awkward with Seola sleeping next to her and going all like DID WE DO IT LAST NIGHT? LOL

Offtopic:
Quality is by definition subjective. Popularity is an attempt to measure quality objectively. It's good enough for publishers. But I'd really prefer to not discuss this in this topic. Nya-chan, I understand you like trolling, I like it to, but it's really getting so fat, it's just boring now. And I thought you were cute...

last edited at Mar 15, 2016 6:00AM

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

Popularity=/=quality

Exhibit A: Twilight. It's popular. but is of good quality? I agree quality does not equal popularity.

I'm one of those FF fans who has lowered my expectations of the series to go anywhere just so that I could enjoy the weekly release. I'm always happy that I have something to look forward to every Mondays. Cause mondays suck.

As I've said before all the complains that i feel about the series has already been said for me by other posters.
Sometimes, authors do get stuck, and it's not really easy to put something out every week.

What I like about the current installments, is that at least Seola and Norae are always together. :) Im never happy when one of the pairs hardly show up in a chappie.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I agree popularity does not mean good quality too. Look at 50 Shades...so popular, yet...

I think there are some ways to measure the quality objectively though.
-How and if the characters are developed, their personalities and their goals throughout the story.
-If there are a lot of needless moments and substories that give nothing of substance to the plot or characters
-If the story is a classic clihe one, that we've seen being played out numerous of times
-The moral and what the story is trying to teach to the readers
-Also Mary Sue and Gary Stue is a no. Although One Punch Man is ridiculusly overpowered without struggling to become so OP, yet people think it's the best anime.

Now if someone generally doesn't like a specific genre, or if the story contrains something they don't like, even if the story is great, i don't think they will still like it.

Also some poeple just want to see impossible things happening without seeing the protagonist struggling too much. Because this is what they desire in their lives too. An easy way to become powerfull, strong or have the love of their lives.
Stories and movies/anime is a way of them feeling like they could accomplish these things, or feeling special.
Movies like Twillight and 50 Shades are popular because they fullfil this premise. Your everyday Mary Sue gets everything she ever wanted without any logical explanation at all.
It's a psychology thing, rather than a good story thing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.