Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Somehow I have a feeling Ssamba will be a bit late with the chapter tomorrow..

cipp

Wow, you can use the golden ratio for plot too? :P

Of you course you can! It's a universal and very natural law to rely on in any form of art! Drawing, architecture, music, writing, whatever else - literally anything. It always works great!

halmoni

An alternate translation of the part "so you do you" would be something like "I'll be doing my own thing" (implying "so go ahead and keep hanging out with your friend"). Dunno if that sounds any clearer to you?

Literally it says "You do it your way", or "You do it however you want to do it", which more or less implies "Whatever"/"Suit yourself"/"Have it your way"/etc. It doesn't necessarily say anything about Seol-a's actions in particular, she's commenting on No-rae's actions in a sort of sarcastic/"I give up" manner. 네 (you) =/= 내 (me), although they're homophones in written speech (but not in common spoken speech).

Usually when I'm translating a rough draft I tend to go for the most literal translation possible, so it's good to see feedback on what lines I need to clarify or change for the final drafts. I couldn't really think of anything else other than "you do you (boo boo)" cuz I'm a ghetto ass ho but yeah I'll probably adjust that line later to something less ratchet.

I think something like "so go your own way" or "so have it your way" would make a lot more sense to me. The problem with "so you do you" is that the first "you" looks like a typo for the typical expression "so do you". Yeah, I know the latter doesn't make much sense, either grammatically or lexically, but that's exactly the problem. I just couldn't get this bubble at all. Besides every time the verb "do" uses an animate direct object, I tend to get a completely different meaning, as in "doing someone" *__*

joined Nov 18, 2015

Nah ...i think seola is older than norea ...cuz seola said she thinks of her as a younger sister at first so if she was older .she couldent say that ....so ..seola is definitely older

No it's actually stated in their profile that Norae is older by few months.
I think when Seol-a talked about Norae being like a younger sister it was more referring to the way she is and act and not because of her age ! :)

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Layla

Nah ...i think seola is older than norea ...cuz seola said she thinks of her as a younger sister at first so if she was older .she couldent say that ....so ..seola is definitely older

Regarding the so you do you, I personally would say "So you do whatever"
It sounds cold and short enough. Like the hell I care.

joined Aug 10, 2015

Layla

If a "boo boo" was added after the last you I think it would be perfect.

Seolaposescolor2
joined Nov 9, 2014

Layla

If a "boo boo" was added after the last you I think it would be perfect.

That took me a second to get but yes perfect!

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@takachi (post)

halmoni

An alternate translation of the part "so you do you" would be something like "I'll be doing my own thing" (implying "so go ahead and keep hanging out with your friend"). Dunno if that sounds any clearer to you?

Literally it says "You do it your way", or "You do it however you want to do it", which more or less implies "Whatever"/"Suit yourself"/"Have it your way"/etc. It doesn't necessarily say anything about Seol-a's actions in particular, she's commenting on No-rae's actions in a sort of sarcastic/"I give up" manner. 네 (you) =/= 내 (me), although they're homophones in written speech (but not in common spoken speech).

Usually when I'm translating a rough draft I tend to go for the most literal translation possible, so it's good to see feedback on what lines I need to clarify or change for the final drafts. I couldn't really think of anything else other than "you do you (boo boo)" cuz I'm a ghetto ass ho but yeah I'll probably adjust that line later to something less ratchet.

I think something like "so go your own way" or "so have it your way" would make a lot more sense to me. The problem with "so you do you" is that the first "you" looks like a typo for the typical expression "so do you". Yeah, I know the latter doesn't make much sense, either grammatically or lexically, but that's exactly the problem. I just couldn't get this bubble at all. Besides every time the verb "do" uses an animate direct object, I tend to get a completely different meaning, as in "doing someone" *__*

"So you do you" is a very common expression to me. It seems more fitting because it is more ambiguous than "so go your own way" or "so have it your way". It's a lighter expression even though the motivation behind it is often "I've given up".

"So have it your way" sounds more like the end of a confrontation. Were they talking before this? To me this strongly implies that there's some shared known action or events, and I thought that at this point, No-rae still isn't sure that Seol-a is upset about her behavior.

"So go your own way" is more forceful...and I don't get it in this context...at all, really.

Another way of saying it is "Do whatever you like", but "so you do you" is lighter by virtue of the range of situations in which it's used. Even though you say "you" it's more indirect. It can be akin to "Michael's being Michael" "Jane is being Jane." It can be condescending or playful or dismissive (harsh or more just defeated wherein the speaker feels like she's the one who's lost whatever situation).

Isn't this more of a "keep doing whatever you've been doing" (while I go out) or "so you keep doing whatever..." (you've been doing) sort of thing? As in, more of a drive by where Seol-a is on her way out and No-rae doesn't know what's wrong or why exactly she's saying good-bye in this way?

These all have different mixes of confrontational, defeated-sounding and dismissive. And then causal versus formal, and "So you do you" is definitely that. Given the situation (as I understood it) halmoni's translations sound most fitting (to me), but the translation she with was more casual and thus more fitting, to me.

last edited at Jan 30, 2016 2:51PM

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

MacySan:

I actually wanted to get some screenshots of Enah acting all suspicious and put this meme on the top

MacySan this is the closet thing I could find hahaha

last edited at Jan 30, 2016 2:55PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Haha this too and also:
(I'm uploading it since we wait for new chapter :P)

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Half a day until the new chapter's out...

takachi

Besides every time the verb "do" uses an animate direct object, I tend to get a completely different meaning, as in "doing someone" *__*

LMAO. I can see how that must have been confusing...

ffins07

I think "you do you" has its origins in AAVE so it's possible that the phrase is specific to the US, maybe that's why some people are confused by it? That's just my guess though since I don't know where you all are from :P I'm not a linguist.

If ignoring how likely it is that a given reader will understand it (in my personal experience it isn't a very common phrase though I at least know what it means), then I agree that out of the suggestions so far, "you do you" does seem like the best fit.

last edited at Jan 30, 2016 6:00PM

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@cipp

ffins07

I think "you do you" has its origins in AAVE so it's possible that the phrase is specific to the US, maybe that's why some people are confused by it? That's just my guess though since I don't know where you all are from :P I'm not a linguist.

If ignoring how likely it is that a given reader will understand it (in my personal experience it isn't a very common phrase though I at least know what it means), then I agree that out of the suggestions so far, "you do you" does seem like the best fit.

I don't know what AAVE is, but I figure it is an American expression. I can only recall hearing it in the past decade, and the later end (e.g., 2000-), too.

P.S. Ina. All the suspicion around Ina is lost on me, but I'm amused at how much it's caught people's attention (since the beginning of this arc). ha-ha...

last edited at Jan 30, 2016 7:39PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

LMAO. I can see how that must have been confusing...

ffins07

From what I can find, it seems to be a derivative of "do your thing", but in the form "You do you, and I'll do me", meaning "Don't tell me how to live my life, you live your own life that way instead and leave me to do my things my way". It seems to have first showed up as "you do you" in a rap track from 2000, but has since gotten pretty common on the internet. The original "do your thing" goes way back of course.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't know what AAVE is, but I figure it is an American expression.

African American Vernacular English, basically a dialect spoken among black communities in the US.

Zz
joined Jan 10, 2016

Yup, Nezchan beat me to it. A lot of AAVE phrases/vocab have made their way into more mainstream usage without people realizing the origin (i.e. stuff like "throwing shade"/"slay"/"____ gives me life"), and based on where I have seen "you do you" used I kind of assumed it fell into the same category. But who knows, it's basically impossible to google (all I got was some asinine article about millenials) and it's not like anyone officially tracks this type of thing ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Anyways, going back to the original point, if this is the case, then English speakers from outside the US might find that phrase unclear/confusing, which is too bad since the meaning seems to fit quite nicely. As for whether translations should avoid phrases that are specific to American English, that's a different issue.

...it seems I keep inadvertently derailing this thread from being about FF so I'll shut up now!

SPOILER ALERT!! Enah was actually Sung-pyo in a mask the whole time :O

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

It's less than 9 hours left 'til the next chapter. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
I'm expecting No-rae to do something for Seol-a. But maybe Ina will do some preparations first. Or maybe No-rae should put an end to the whole Sung Pyo thing in one chapter so I won't have to worry about seeing him anymore lol.

Time never seems to pass slower than this. I'm gonna take a dose of NyQuil and rejoice in my Seolrae in the morning.

Port
joined Jan 23, 2015

suddenly... a wild hiatus appears!
or just a late release lol, setting expectations to ultra-low levels..

joined Jan 31, 2015

It's not usually released this early though?

I believe it's normally on Monday at midnight KST. And occasionally, it's slightly early, but not by much. For instance, last week, I believe it was released at around 11:00-11:30 PM KST.

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 8:34AM

joined Nov 18, 2015

it's ouuuuuuut ! :)
http://comico.toast.com/titles/85/chapters/66

small steps, small steps...

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:13AM

Port
joined Jan 23, 2015

for a moment i thought seol-a might be hit by a snow bike lol
now back off sung-pyo!

Thank ssamba for having another cliched tragedy averted

and anonymous, i know i know lol, jk there :)

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:25AM

joined Nov 18, 2015

now back off sung-pyo!

ahah that would have been funny ^^ Ssamba the troll :D

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

It is happening, No-Rae starts showing her feelings to Seol-A.

Very nice chapter, both of Seol-A/No-Rae part, as well as Sung-Pyo (some people have said before he is there to see No-Rae's feelings for Seol-A) and Ina's moment in the beggining haha

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:20AM

Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

now back off sung-pyo!

Now we want last nigth in hotel.... Ssaaaambaaaaaa please stop....

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

awwwww norae's wifey was hurt. they so cute!
judging from sung pyo's reaction... is this gonna be the case of EVERYONE KNOWS IT BUT THEM? hahaha (ranma/akane, ross/rachel)
as i said, they so cute.

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:24AM

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

Next time, norae will wake up with soela watching her, with a bathrobe. ^_^
ena's a tad bit creepy there. haha

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:26AM

Port
joined Jan 23, 2015

Next time, norae will wake up with soela watching her, with a bathrobe. ^_^

AMEN!

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Hahahahahaha i'm just so happy right now. It just keeps getting better. It made me smile to see No-rae dashed out to Seol-a like that. The hug scene is kinda a parallel to Chapter 38's hospital scene. So Ssamba lol.

And Ina was hilariously creepy lol.

Hooray FF finally got back its highest ranking position on Kor Comico!!!!!!

last edited at Jan 31, 2016 9:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.