Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

joined Jan 31, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama:

[...] if people will act like fandumbs?

You can't have fandom without fandumb durrr lolo

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Ok if I misunderstood Nya-chan, I'd apologize.

For now I'll go collect Seol-a's screenshots at work instead of continue this unnecessary discussion about how bad my favorite manhwa is.

I actually wanted to get some screenshots of Enah acting all suspicious and put this meme on the top

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Thiaguinho-sama:

"Lovers are fools, but Nature makes them so."

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

For now I'll go collect Seol-a's screenshots at work instead of continue this unnecessary discussion about how bad my favorite manhwa is.

I actually wanted to get some screenshots of Enah acting all suspicious and put this meme on the top

Sorry MacySan you know I can't spend my work time on a Seol-a doppelganger. It has to be Seol-a.

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

anonymous posted:

Thiaguinho-sama:

But it's still bad if they control the thread...

ieeheh posted:

"Lovers are fools, but Nature makes them so."

2deep4me

ieeheh posted:

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/4240826.jpg

Sorry MacySan you know I can't spend my work time on a Seol-a doppelganger. It has to be Seol-a.

Obviously, you should always choose the original.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama:

anon- ! I'm here to steal you!

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

It wasn't about choosing over one of them (obv Seol-A wins haha), more like I was waiting for Enah to do something bad in every chapter xD

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

No mocking. Just teasing ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!! ieeheh, you know, I love you!!! HUUUUUUUG!!!

But back to the topic. What I've found really nice in the last chapters, something I've missed a chance to point out myself - perhaps you all here have already discussed it - is how Seol-a's expressions have matured and become a lot more serious. Of course it could simply be that Ssamba was forced to make a difference with Ina, but it really suits her. You can really tell how much Seol-a takes care of No-rae, how much affection and feelings she has. I really hope the girls will make a step forward in their relationship after this arc. They are so sweet together.

last edited at Jan 18, 2016 6:54PM

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

MacySan posted:

It wasn't about choosing over one of them (obv Seol-A wins haha), more like I was waiting for Enah to do something bad in every chapter xD

Haha, I know what you mean, some characters just look evil and suspicious for some reason that we just can't help but expect they'll do something, I think Enah will do something to them but it's going to be something good.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

takachi

No mocking. Just teasing ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!! ieeheh, you know, I love you!!! HUUUUUUUG!!!

But back to the topic. What I've found really nice in the last chapters, something I've missed a chance to point out myself - perhaps you all here have already discussed it - is how Seol-a's expressions have matured and become a lot more serious. Of course it could simply be that Ssamba was forced to make a difference with Ina, but it really suits her. You can really tell how much Seol-a takes care of No-rae, how much affection and feelings she has. I really hope the girls will make a step forward in their relationship after this arc. They are so sweet together.

I love you too... for loving me lol

If anything, I already felt Seola started to change since the umbrella scene, just right before the bus accident. She just shoved it in Norae's backpack, worrying about Norae's getting home with the chance of sleet. Norae even called her mom lol. At that moment I wished Seola were my gf lol. I think Ssamba showed her getting call from Min-jeong only to tell us that she had plans outside with her friend afterwards but "sacrificed" her umbrella to Norae instead. Ssamba always got me at little things like that.

First sign of Seola's acceptance of her feelings and affection for Norae was the sushi baiting scene:

The way she touched Norae and her eyes showed so much affection, yet I can't help but see she wasn't truly/innocently happy anymore.

last edited at Jan 18, 2016 7:39PM

Hinageshi_icon
joined Jul 20, 2013

@ieeheh, please keep posting these, I love re-reading all these scenes :D

No2
joined Jan 18, 2016

I totally support you.
I love reading stuff like that again and even more when others explain and let us know what they are thinking and what they see through the draw.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@Thiaguinho-sama I disagree with various aspects of your recount of the thread's past, but if you have something less than positive to say about the series feel free. @Nyachan's last comment was laced with sarcasm. I didn't read anything to which to reply.

I joined this forum to discuss this series. If someone wants to start a constructive conversation something, share away. Pointing out that there are clichés isn't much of a conversation starter. This cliché this past chap was pretty obvious, imo. :?

This is kinda old, but I did attempt to reply to you, @nyachan, a while back. I deleted, per request, so here it is:

-  FF is real slow. We’re at half of the story and neither of the characters have confessed. Hell, we’re not even sure what kind of relationship they want. I can’t even picture them having sex!

Well, "slow" is relative. Stepping back, I guess I'd call it slow story, but I'm reading it for the characters. And my preferred stories I'm reading with really detailed character development are all similarly slow. I think it's a lack of progression in notable events you can point at, such as: "they kissed", "they graduated", ... Or, maybe another way is to describe it as time not moving. They're still in the same place, etc. But I think of it as a tradeoff. And, personally, I kinda prefer more detailed, subtle character development than lots of movement in physical space or time.

Take Their Story, for example: One of the characters is quite bold and seemingly more secure in herself (as compared to No-rae and Seol-a), and so I'm totally OK with the pace at which their development has progressed. (I also thinking of that story as way more action oriented.) With Fluttering Feelings, in contrast, the leads are way more insecure, way less confident and way less blunt. They're generally "good" but not perfect, and they're imperfections aren't presented in a stereotypical manner (e.g., fitting under a label like "yandere" or something). I also think most people (especially females) are closer to No-rae and Seol-a in their confidence, anxieties and insecurities than the less feminine lead of Their Story.

-  Except Seol-a and No-rae, none of the characters have any depth or presence.

-  The various oppas or guys in the story are all forgettable and don’t have any meaningful interactions with the two main.

-  Except maybe Ji-hwan (?) who had a crush on No-rae, but he’s out of the picture now because he was rejected and gave-up.

-  The female friends are even worse. They are used just as a way to get a glimpse of the two MCs past, they have no real personality whatsoever. They pop up randomly in order to make some exposition.

Mmm... It does feel to me like most of the side characters are there for one or the other of them to run into in order to learn more about the other or for the audience to learn more about the leads. But, again, I don't mind. I'm most interested in Seol-a and No-rae. I think Ji-hwan still falls into this categorization. :? I guess he's still around as a friend, but I don't think it matters, really.

I find a lot of focus on many side characters or having lots of "leads" annoying (if I like a subset of the leads) or confusing--like I can't keep up with all the threads. I think...Sweet Blue Flowers?? made me feel this way.

-  The traffic accidents trope is just overused. A car for Yu-ji, a bus for No-rae and a bike for Seol-a. Did she avoid a truck on purpose?

-  The overhearing conversation trope is overused too. In the classroom, in the washroom, at the vending machine…

-  The characters being drunk. Or with a cold.

-  The ex, or it’s shadow, coming between the characters.

-  Interrupted confession.

-  Convenient car at Seol-a’s disposal.

-  Drama for the sake of drama and I’m sure you all read elsewhere : death, painful love, unexplained break-up, abusive boyfriend, hostility because of “too perfect”.

It’s just what comes to mind at the top of my head, I’ll stop here. I would need to re-read the whole thing to find more, but I’m sure I would eventually.

It just piles up over the course of the story and because I like the characters of Seol-a and No-rae, it bothers me to no end to see them in these artificial situations.

That my perception of FF for now and I doubt any wall of text is going to change my feelings about this. I think other people around here feel the same, but they just don’t voice it. So here I am, because I feel it needs to be said instead of bathing in universal praise.

Ha-ha. I'm not sure what you mean by "Did she avoid a truck on purpose?".

I think tropes need to be put into context. No-rae's accident, sure. But Yu-Ji died early. I don't think the means of death is important/relevant, so I wouldn't pick at it.

People overhearing thing's isn't just a trope. It happens. Especially in school. Think bullies, rumors, gossip. I'm working and maybe the clear bullies are fewer but rumors and gossip still fly. And it's important to Seol-a's experience. Bullying was important to mine. It's a common experience, so that it shows up in a lot of stories just makes sense to me.

Characters being drunk and having colds, especially in college, sounds normal to me. Maybe your college experience is different? At least, in the US, drunk college kids is definitely a thing. (I'd say something about maybe look through the lens of a different cultural experience, but it seems you've read many manga... Not that Korean culture isn't vastly different. I'm really new to it.)

Interrupted confession, like the No-rae accident, is another one where I totally understanding you marking of another "flaw".

I also don't care for drama for the sake of drama. That's why I'm hoping that the relationship between No-rae's past relationship and her going to Australia aren't any of the common conclusions and especially not anything to do with his breaking her trust. Time (and Ssamba) will tell...

The situations you've highlighted aren't the important situations to me. And seeing what you have highlighted, I can see how the progression has been both frustrating and a bit (or a lot??) of a let down. I, on the other hand, was expecting slow development from the start, taking seeing focus on micro interactions, glances, subtle expressions, etc. Getting to know someone well and develop feelings for them is a complex process, and I'm enjoying finally reading a Manwha (or manga) where that's treating it in a complex and not formulaic manner (previously mentioned plot devices already noted).

My usual gripes with romance, Shoujo--just most manga I've read--is similarities in main and recurring characters personalities. And the predictable actions they take that align with those personalities. Fluttering Feelings doesn't have these. That was a major plus for me that already sets it a part with a small number of manga. This contrast is even greater for me with respect to Yuri and Shoujo Ai. It seems to often that there's a blonde, long-haired girl across from a short, black-haired girl. So many predictable plot paths...

Even with the plot of Fluttering Feelings, I don't feel like it's predictable so much as there just isn't much movement at all. Not the same as predictable. It's just not plot driven (which you seem to prefer). She's put the characters in an environment, a college setting (that, as you or someone else long ago mentioned, isn't really distinguishable). Again, I don't think that's a point of emphasis. For me those situational plot devices seem few and far between (all the character development events). In college? Meh. So my negative-to-positive interaction ratio is much lower. My focus is on No-rae and Seol-a becoming more relatable and complex (or "real") with every chapter. :?

Certainly this story isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'd venture it's too "slow" for most people. Relative to other manga and Manwha I've read, I feel like the rate of development is higher (developments per panel or something). It's just in the character development spectrum and not the events (time) spectrum. It seems that many of the things you enjoy, the things that make you say one manga is better than another, are lacking with this one.

I took the time highlighting the plot-driven versus character-driven stuff in attempt to help you maybe readjust your lens on this Manwha so that it's more enjoyable (or at least less frustrating for you). Not trying to convince you away from your opinions. If I cared relatively more about plot progression, I'd probably be more frustrated too. I feel like most stories where romance is the primary theme have weaker or largely absent plots, relatively speaking though, regardless of the medium (manga, novel, etc.); I appreciate it when they do.

The END ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There have been a couple more plot devices/recognizable tropes since whenever this was, but I still think it's a strong piece in spite of those. The "eye roll" level of a cliché or plot device depends on context--for me. The boyfriend's appearances have been the worst, thus far (on both occasions) for me. ...Those were pretty bad. Definitely weakened this last chapter from a writing standpoint. I "know" it should be a catalyst for a change in Seol-a and No-rae's relationship, but reading this chapter in isolation without anticipating anything, this chapter didn't advance anything. I agree with folks about Seol-a's expression this chapter, but it isn't new. Someone--I can't find the post right now--mentioned that we've been seeing it at moments since No-rae's accident.

P.S. I forgot about this post. Thought I'd deleted it or something. :?_

P.P.S. @cipp Thank you for replying to my previous post and sharing that tidbit about Korea. It was a bit of a leading question. I was actually curious about the hotel situation too. It seemed so ...Western?? to me. Just very different from what I can recall of hotels shown in manga, for example. (Please, forgive my ignorance. >. < )

P.P.P.S. How are people linking to specific posts?

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 1:12AM

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

pulpolar

toba122

I totally support you.
I love reading stuff like that again and even more when others explain and let us know what they are thinking and what they see through the draw.

I'm glad I was able to help you pass another day of waiting for the next chapter of FF xD So per your request, I'll march on.

I found Seola got a lot of mood swing moments because of Norae. Today I'd like to remind you one of my favorites

MT mood swings

The trip started out well. Seola watched and admired Norae's new hair cut from afar:

Then taken surprised at the girls' "generosity" of letting her join the group

(Poor Seola, acted as if she never belonged to a girl group)

(she blushed didn't she? maybe her first subconscious thought was her leaning on Norae's shoulders lol my wish)

But immediately turned to...

what a drastic mood swing

Watching this...

Worried about Norae's hurting her neck, and telling herself

(yeah right, even I don't want to see that sh!t)

Then got separated from Norae through out the whole day and night, she could only took a peak at Norae from afar:

(Seola usually looked so intense staring or peaking at Norae)

ouch seeing Jihwan and Norae didn't make her look so well, but she tried to stick around Norae's vicinity throughout the rest of the night anyway

and had to see another unpleasant scene until Norae went to bed

(yeah, what the hell were you doing?)

then desperately and boldly watching Norae sleep and pondering on her internal turmoil

What could made my Seola's seemingly shitty MT trip be ok again? Well, it's easy. Walking with Norae watching sunrise is its own magic trick to Seola's mood swing

Even got their first selfie

(I wondered if she ever showed to Min-jeong)

Thiaguinho-sama
Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

Haha, it's not like my memory is good enough to remember much about the thread past so I probably exaggerated a little ffins07, but if you and others get my point that's good enough, I don't really have anything good or bad to say about it, for me it doesn't matter if it have too many cliches or coincidences as long as they're not too poorly made or forced, the only parts that were really bad are the ex-bf with perfect timing to stop Seol-a confession and now him showing up again in the resort to get in their way, but besides that even if it have too many cliches or coincidences they're still on a point that is believable, so either way I enjoy it without any problems.

I think both sides are kind of wrong on how they're seeing FF, it's okay to criticize, but if you get to the point to overanalyze and only care about the flaws then you just won't enjoy pretty much nothing, as for the other side, it's okay to like FF as it's definitely a good serie, but we just can't act as if the serie doesn't have any flaws, I think people are taking it too seriously and should just chill out a little.

As for linking to specific posts ffins07, I'm using Alice Chesire userscript, with it when you quote someone it creates a link to said post, but only to the person who made the post, so if they quoted someone else those quotes won't have link to the person they quoted, it have other useful functions too, shame not many people uses it.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 1:50AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh my. I wake up to find a whole bunch of posts about me. Thank you T-sama and Nevri for defending me, but I can speak for myself.

I stand by my opinion that FF is badly written. I already explained why. The amount of shoujo tropes and k-drama tropes is staggering. I expect the arranged marriage, the "going to work abroad", the mother/father/brother of either one dying, a violent ex of Seol-a showing up... whatever.

For what it's worth, it may even finish open ended, like Stretch, with an unspoken love. There's not enough chapters left to build a relationship, or it will be rushed.

Unless she makes a season 2.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 6:20AM

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

Nya-chan

• The characters being drunk. Or with a cold.

wait, characters being drunk or with a cold is a cliche? what????

Oh my gosh, you must have not been familiar with Korean college life. I studied in the States and I used to hang out with a group of Korean international students in my first year of college. They were mostly seniors. Most of the girls seemed so feminine and girly, but when it comes to drinking, they always initiated first or never declined an invitation to drinking party (sitting around in the dorm room and sneakily drink, not like party party drinking if you know what i mean lol)

What happened was that we ended up with a cold in the winter quite often haha. DayQuil and NyQuil were our miracle cures. Gosh I miss college life

And spreading rumors among students seems to be a Korean (Asian) thing. I've just started reading Cheese in the Trap and it's mentioned quite often there too.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Don't use manga/manhwa to understand japanese or korean society.

And colds? It's a commonly used trope where one of the character is vulnerable and the other one show their "kindness" by nursing them back to health. Cooking gruel or peeling apples. It's a staple of shoujos. As well as getting drunk and being vulnerable. Again.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

ffins07

P.P.P.S. How are people linking to specific posts?

Well, if you don't use the script like T-sama, you could manually do it.
Every post has a time stamp with hyperlink (to the right of the username of the poster). You could right click on the time stamp and copy the link of that post.
As with the formatting, you should refer to here
And just let this argument with Nya-chan go. There's no need to change her mind. We still think FF is a good story on its own merits. Or else Nez-mom will be freaking scary

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 2:16AM

Jpegnagasawa
joined Feb 19, 2014

For what it's worth, it may even finish open ended, like Stretch, with an unspoken love. There's not enough chapters left to build a relationship, or it will be rushed.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of, with the current pace, there won't be enough chapters with them dating. nevertheless, i shall follow it to the bitter end. ^_^

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Thiaguinho-sama

Haha, it's not like my memory is good enough to remember much about the thread past so I probably exaggerated a little ffins07, but if you and others get my point that's good enough, I don't really have anything good or bad to say about it, for me it doesn't matter if it have too many cliches or coincidences as long as they're not too poorly made or forced, the only parts that were really bad are the ex-bf with perfect timing to stop Seol-a confession and now him showing up again in the resort to get in their way, but besides that even if it have too many cliches or coincidences they're still on a point that is believable, so either way I enjoy it without any problems.

It seemed to me that your main intention was to point out that the jumping on Nya-chan was not justified. The first terrible spat (way before I'd joined) was actually the thing that first thing that really had me considering joining. It seemed to me quite unfair and a lost opportunity for more diverse discussion.--That was then. Since then, there have been quite a few more critiques about various aspects of the story. (The "same face" thing has been a running joke, for example.)

It's one thing to comment on the story. It's another thing to complain about the majority opinion about the story. Referencing things other people have said about the story, I'm not surprised there was backlash.

I think both sides are kind of wrong on how they're seeing FF, it's okay to criticize, but if you get to the point to overanalyze and only care about the flaws then you just won't enjoy pretty much nothing, as for the other side, it's okay to like FF as it's definitely a good serie, but we just can't act as if the serie doesn't have any flaws, I think people are taking it too seriously and should just chill out a little.

I don't think either side is wrong. I think it's fine to love and laud this series. Just because someone praises it often, doesn't mean that they're implying it's perfect. I don't know how people jump to that sort of conclusion. (That's not true. I'm not surprised at all, but I wish people did this less often.)

Complaining about the story should be fine too. It's a forum. We're people. The posts are full of opinions. They vary. That's the best mix, IMO. So long as back-and-forth doesn't devolve into name-calling, bullying etc., why "just chill out a little"? What's wrong with people celebrating releases of manga and manwha they really like? ha-ha.

Finally, since this is a place to discuss, it should be OK to disagree with others too. There's going to be a majority opinion. I don't care for Taylor Swift's music, but her music is super popular. That's just life.

As for linking to specific posts ffins07, I'm using Alice Chesire userscript, with it when you quote someone it creates a link to said post, but only to the person who made the post, so if they quoted someone else those quotes won't have link to the person they quoted, it have other useful functions too, shame not many people uses it.

Thank you. I need to read more or look at the script because I don't quite get the date format. I'll figure it out. I'll have to take a peek at someone else's, if I can. I'm fine with the markdown.

Nya-chan

Oh my. I wake up to find a whole bunch of posts about me. Thank you T-sama and Nevri for defending me, but I can speak for myself.

I stand by my opinion that FF is badly written. I already explained why. The amount of shoujo tropes and k-drama tropes is staggering. I expect the arranged marriage, the "going to work abroad", the mother/father/brother of either one dying, a violent ex of Seol-a showing up... whatever.

How is the amount staggering? Can you point out another Shoujo manga of similar length with fewer tropes?

I'm not familiar with k-drama, so I am missing references from that genre. I don't recall you enumerating more than 10. I've read more than that in many manga, and many that are much shorter than this one.

Ha-ha. If all of those expectations fail to be met, your opinion would be the same, right?

Are you talking about Stretch, the roommates manga? (I seriously can't tell.) If you are talking about the roommates manga...I didn't even think it was a romance. How is the comparable?

Anyway, they already have a relationship, so I don't think it has to be rushed. One of them just needs to say something--to the other half of the relationship. Still, I would like to see a season 2.

Nya-chan

And colds? It's a commonly used trope where one of the character is vulnerable and the other one show their "kindness" by nursing them back to health. Cooking gruel or peeling apples. It's a staple of shoujos. As well as getting drunk and being vulnerable. Again.

Agreed. And it's common in other written mediums: novels, fanfiction, you name it. It's an opportunity used even in things not labeled "angst".

"As well as getting drunk and being vulnerable. Again." <-- ha-ha-ha. Yes.

FYI: I'm trying to engage in discussion about what Nya-chan's reading, as I would anyone else. You could call it arguing too. Don't mind. I'm happy to talk about the plusses and minuses because I think FF is worth discussing. I'll ignore offensive things, but I don't see a reason to treat anyone willing to join in discussions actually about FF as a pariah or something. If this doesn't go anywhere, I'll stop. Or maybe, Nya-chan won't respond. Either way. :?

P.S. Much respect for Taylor Swift. Just not my cup a tea when it comes to listening to music.

joined Jan 18, 2016

I just want to put in my two cents regarding the plot progression discussion.

From the stories I've read, I've always enjoyed those that have a healthy mix of plot progression and character development. Some stories can have some hella interesting plots objectively speaking but tend to lack what the audience would need to have a good feel of the personality of the characters. In my opinion, stories that put plot progression above all else have a tendency to feel like the characters are merely going through the motions, as if they're one-set track robots. To use a metaphor: if a writer isn't too good at creating situations where the characters are forced to grow in some way, it feels as if the writer is merely trying to pulverize a large piece of stone into dust. When the two elements (character development and plot progression) are well done, it's almost as if the writer is creating a sculpture of some sort. In the end, the writer that emphasizes plot progression only and the writer that uses both elements of story writing are technically doing the same thing: chipping away at the piece of stone. But that same act only gains meaning if there is a purpose behind it.

The length of the work (where the genres now range from fast fiction to Russian and French-length novels and series) can affect how the author chooses to balance the two aforementioned elements. Short stories tend to put more emphasis on plot progression while full length series tend to develop their characters, albeit through a series of plots. This is of course not set in stone and there are some good short stories that I've read that are character driven while action novels and series tend to be more focused on plot progression. So I guess it's both the length and of course the style of the author that affects the balance.

There's also how the author wishes to present the point of the entire story. From what I've noticed in Fluttering Feelings, Ssamba gives us snapshots of the daily life of characters, which I think explains the myriad of side characters we get.

I think the beauty in Fluttering Feelings is that it presents to us that it isn't just amazing big events that can change the characters (like Seol-a getting run over by the motorcycle changing her plans for her future) but little interactions (like Seol-a and No-rae going to No-rae's friend's art exhibit or the scene in the train) that can cause some sort of change to how a character reacts, no matter how tiny. It's not just bam-bam-bam action that can get things moving and make things interesting but also slow trickles. To use another metaphor: quickly boiled beef (like in hot pot) tastes awesome, but so do slow-cooked stews.

Sorry for the rambling and the ten million parenthetical remarks. :P

edit: I also agree that there are a lot of cliches in the story but they don't bother me too much. Could they have been presented better? Sure, but they aren't eyeball-gouging terrible for me in any degree.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 10:58AM

Homu%20avatar
joined May 11, 2012

ffins07

I don't think either side is wrong. I think it's fine to love and laud this series. Just because someone praises it often, doesn't mean that they're implying it's perfect. I don't know how people jump to that sort of conclusion. (That's not true. I'm not surprised at all, but I wish people did this less often.)

Complaining about the story should be fine too. It's a forum. We're people. The posts are full of opinions. They vary. That's the best mix, IMO. So long as back-and-forth doesn't devolve into name-calling, bullying etc., why "just chill out a little"? What's wrong with people celebrating releases of manga and manwha they really like? ha-ha.

I meant that for the minority in both sides that are causing problems, as for imply that the serie is perfect, is how it looks when people take any criticism as personal attack and go ballistic on the person who made it, it's because of how the discussion got out of control some pages ago, that Nezchan even had to put a stop on it, that I said I think people should chill out a little, I didn't mean it to everyone, I didn't say that just because people praises it often that it means they think it's perfect, hope now it's clear what I wanted to say. xp

Thank you. I need to read more or look at the script because I don't quite get the date format. I'll figure it out. I'll have to take a peek at someone else's, if I can. I'm fine with the markdown.

The thread says how to use it, you just need to install an extension on your browser, it's pretty easy so I recommend to try it.

Well, like I said before I guess I don't really have anything to say, so I'll just enjoy what you all discuss.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 12:22PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ffins07

How is the amount staggering? Can you point out another Shoujo manga of similar length with fewer tropes?

The length is irrelevant. I can point a shorter "manga" with maybe as many cliches, but a whole lot better written. That is Lily Love. The cliches are obvious, but the story flows naturally.

As I have stated numerous times, it's not the tropes or the cliches themselves that I dislike. It's the way they are brought in FF, in a seemlingly endless succession of "let's see what I could put in there that would give the characters a dramatic background..."

For Seol-a, it's the drama of traffic accidents and death/betrayal of her girl friend. For No-rae it's the drama of her ex-boyfriend being injured and totally immature about their relationship.

And then... the past comes to haunt them, blah blah blah...

Meanwhile, the readers are left wondering when the fucking romance between the two characters is going to even start.

Hey you love each other it seems. And this is crazy, but you should just confess! Or, you know, drop hints?

I mean, the ex boyfriend disappared for a whole arc (weeks in story time?). WHY DIDN'T SEOL-A RESUME HER CONFESSION? Why would she care about an ex? All the more reason to confess. The readers are left to guess, hence the walls of text here full of guesswork and awe about "microexpressions". Nothing is exposed or explained. Fans clutch at straws in order to interpret what the hell these characters are thinking.

The author is dragging this out much longer than necessary.

I'm not familiar with k-drama, so I am missing references from that genre. I don't recall you enumerating more than 10. I've read more than that in many manga, and many that are much shorter than this one.

K-drama are well known for being tear-jerkers, with tragic setbacks (traffic accidents!) and lots of unfair shit happening to the characters. The audience must sympathize and root for the courageous protagonist. See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAKoreanDrama for examples.

Ha-ha. If all of those expectations fail to be met, your opinion would be the same, right?

Are you talking about Stretch, the roommates manga? (I seriously can't tell.) If you are talking about the roommates manga...I didn't even think it was a romance. How is the comparable?

Well, the romance in Stretch was always implied but never happened. What if Seol-a and No-rae are separated for whatever reason the author think suitable and then their romance doesn't happen. It's Stretch all over again, with readers going apeshit. Honestly, I would laugh my ass off.

But I don't think it will happen. Ssamba is probably going to wrap that with a confession, a kiss and "they lived happily ever after". I get the impression that she doesn't know how to show her characters in an actual relationship. She comes up with all kind of cockblockers in order to maintain artificially the tension and keep the romance from actually happening.

Also, usually, in shoujo manga, we get a side couple that shows progress to keep the reader's interest in the series and act as support while the main characters deal with their issues. Nothing of the sort here : none of the side characters stay around long enough to give support, advice or even a reference to the MCs. Seol-a and No-rae have superficial relationships with everyone else than each other. And even that isn't much. They are good friends. With naughty thoughts surfacing from time to time.

All the characters fail at life I think.

Anyway, they already have a relationship, so I don't think it has to be rushed. One of them just needs to say something--to the other half of the relationship. Still, I would like to see a season 2.

Relationship? What relationship? They are friends. They have been for 60 chapters. 40 chapters or so to go.

I hope Ssamba gets to the juicy part fast, because time is running out. Unless she lied and makes 200 chapters after all.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 3:47PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

The author is dragging this out much longer than necessary.

I can agree with this. I think even korean readers think so too, cause I see less and less likes for ech new chapter on comico.

last edited at Jan 19, 2016 3:01PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.