Forum › Definition of Yuri. What it is and what isn't.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

There really needs to be a spreadsheet or a chart or something....

Ratana%20avatar%203.3%20dynasty
joined May 11, 2012

meteor2 posted:

as soon as there's a penis between the girls it's not yuri anymore, unless it's a girl penis, that is cool~~

If you are talking about futa it's not yuri and will never be yuri.

Futas are girls at heart and in the rest of their bodies, just give time and yuri will assimilate futa, yuri will assimilate everything, soon everything will be yuri, resistance is futile.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

In that essay about yuri it was pretty obvious that a lot of people had different views about yuri in Japan.
In the end I think it's better to treat it like a demographic, rather than a genre. Something like: "You like seeing girls loving girls? You'll like this."

Also, remember how that Yuri Jam made on tumblr didn't ask only for lesbian stories. They said even a platonic story about a mother and a daughter would be fine. It just had to be love between woman.
So, even west don't see yuri as lesbian stories always.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Who are these yuri jam people? And who died and made them experts on what is yuri and what is not?

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

If a friend that doesn't know anything about anime or manga or etc at all asks what Yuri is, how would you describe it?

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

If a friend that doesn't know anything about anime or manga or etc at all asks what Yuri is, how would you describe it?

Women being into each other.

Kururi
joined Aug 25, 2015

Romance between girls/women.
That's how I see it, anyway. But that's not how everyone sees.

And I see things like Swap Swap and Shinozaki as romance, too.

On the other side, Murcielago has almost no romance, but still is considered yuri.

joined May 11, 2012

True Murcielago don't have romance, but they don't play around with ambiguity, Kuroko is lesbian and she try to get girls, that's a fact and that's why it's yuri.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Girls holding hands.

joined May 11, 2012

Also, Swap Swap don't have any romance at all and they're not gay, now Shinozaki is without doubt gay and have interest in a girl, that's why one can really be called yuri while the other not.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

Girls holding hands.

Actually, I feel like this goes into the right direction. I want to redo my explanation of yuri into "Girls blushing while in the general vicinity of other girls".

joined Aug 16, 2014

Girls holding hands.

Actually, I feel like this goes into the right direction. I want to redo my explanation of yuri into "Girls blushing while in the general vicinity of other girls".

You're right too. I was just going for the most blatant display. Can't get more naughty than two girls holding hands in public.

last edited at Dec 21, 2015 6:44PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Norainhere posted:

I would say "Romantic attraction" Even if it doesn't develops to true love... NOW my problem still remain, how some works would continue to avoid admitting it (just to the point where they can deny it anytime) verbally or pretend is just a phase makes me scared that after 100 episodes it will finish with "I don't know whats this feeling, but I hope we can continue to get along! THE END" damn if I had the skills, I would make a parody of Swap = Swap with men and make one of the guy say "Bro you have such a huge dick... But no homo tho, I just want to have one like that, btw can I stroke it? come on let's switch I NEED TO FEEEL IT BRUH" and then say "is just cute boys doing cute things"

last edited at Dec 21, 2015 6:58PM

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

I would say "Romantic attraction" Even if it doesn't develops to true love... NOW my problem still remain, how some works would continue to admit it (just to the point where they can deny it anytime) verbally or pretend is just a phase makes me scared that after 100 episodes it will finish with "I don't know whats this feeling, but I hope we can continue to get along! THE END" damn if I had the skills, I would make a parody of Swap = Swap with men and make one of the guy say "Bro you have such a huge dick... But no homo tho, I just want to have one like that, btw can I stroke it? come on let's switch I NEED TO FEEEL IT BRUH" and then say "is just cute boys doing cute things"

+20 just for coming up with an awesome example highlighting the double standards mangaka, publishers and fans have and display when the genre is yuri/yuri fan service v. yaoi. well done my friend!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

damn if I had the skills, I would make a parody of Swap = Swap with men and make one of the guy say "Bro you have such a huge dick... But no homo tho, I just want to have one like that, btw can I stroke it? come on let's switch I NEED TO FEEEL IT BRUH" and then say "is just cute boys doing cute things"

last edited at Dec 21, 2015 6:59PM

joined May 11, 2012

We need to find an artist and make Serenata manga happen!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Boys are expected to have romantic relationships with other boys. It's pure and normal, and they'll grow out of it and find wives like everyone else.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

Yeah, boys like to fencing with each other all the time. And play the train. Cho! Cho!

But no problem, they say "no homo" everytime.

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Male homoeroticism has been a prominent feature in fiction for basically as long as fiction has existed.

joined May 11, 2012

Male homoeroticism has been a prominent feature in fiction for basically as long as fiction has existed.

True, but we know 100% sure in most cases that the guys are indeed straight without doubt, while in yuri they go in that maybe she's gay, maybe not, you never know, cause they act super gay but call themselves friends, never question their sexuality, and even thought they're obviously attracted to each other they'll never ever think of the possibility of being gay even if they see each other naked, touch each other, grope, kiss and so on, at the end they will go closest possible to crossing the line but we'll end with something like "I hope we can always be together/I love you, my best friend~~", you don't see that with guys, never...

Blakeysquare
Yuri Project
joined Sep 15, 2013

Thiaguinho:
True, but we know 100% sure in most cases that the guys are indeed straight without doubt.

Indeed do we not, for it is the love that dare not speak its name

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Also, Swap Swap don't have any romance at all and they're not gay, now Shinozaki is without doubt gay and have interest in a girl, that's why one can really be called yuri while the other not.

jfc.It's a goddamn excuse of a setting to casually introduce yuri and whatever the fuck may come later. Like what the hell, do you think it's het? It's been 5 freakin chapters, they're warming up to each other, can't you please let this go?
If you watched some other body swapin' manga with a guy and a girl kissing like all the time, but oh wait, there isn't CONCRETLY feelings, it's not het????

Why are you guys making such tight criteria and thus fuckin directly excluding a bunch of stuff from being categorized as yuri????

I've never read such a frustrating thread before, where most people's opinions here mean completely denying so many manga/anime/whatever
As if suddenly, some manga/anime/whatever arent GAY enough or explicitly ROMANTIC to deserve the noble title of yuri.

ffs.

Legit, the only ongoing manga I can think about right now that's so ambiguous in where it's heading is the cooking girls/sisters manga.

last edited at Dec 21, 2015 8:59PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

jfc.It's a goddamn excuse of a setting to casually introduce yuri and whatever the fuck may come later. Like what the hell, do you think it's het? It's been 5 freakin chapters, they're warming up to each other, can't you please let this go?
If you watched some other body swapin' manga with a guy and a girl kissing like all the time, but oh wait, there isn't CONCRETLY feelings, it's not het????

Why are you guys making such tight criteria and thus fuckin directly excluding a bunch of stuff from being categorized as yuri????

I've never read such a frustrating thread before, where most people's opinions here mean completely denying so many manga/anime/whatever
As if suddenly, some manga/anime/whatever arent GAY enough or explicitly ROMANTIC to deserve the noble title of yuri.

ffs.

Why are you getting so upset? This thread is about everyone's OPINIONS - it's not really like any of this really matters. This is just what people think, so if what they think is different or wrong to you that's fine. To be honest, I don't really care about what people consider to be truly "yuri" or not, but I'm following the discussion because it's pretty amusing to a point.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

ffs.

Legit, the only ongoing manga I can think about right now that's so ambiguous in where it's heading is the cooking girls/sisters manga.

You can't blame people for being cautious.

Just look at Stretch.

I'm not looking. I don't even want to remember.... DAMMIT SHOU!!! sniff

joined Aug 16, 2014

You can't blame people for being cautious.

Just look at Stretch.

I'm not looking. I don't even want to remember.... DAMMIT SHOU!!! sniff

...because the only merit Stretch has (or would've had) is having an explicit romantic relationship between the two leads, right? It was a perfectly fine manga (and would still be, even with no couple ending), until Shou rushed those last chapters.

last edited at Dec 21, 2015 9:22PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.