Forum › Stretch discussion

joined Nov 30, 2011

I really really loved this story up until the last few chapters and then it got really frustrating. There were so many loose ends to tie up and we didn't even get to see one of the most important ones that had buildup from almost the beginning! (Well, make that two if you count the ending bit about going the wrong direction.)

I hope that, maybe there is a sequel but I would rather see the loose ends tied up from this part first and not hear about them with shrug.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I really really loved this story up until the last few chapters and then it got really frustrating. There were so many loose ends to tie up and we didn't even get to see one of the most important ones that had buildup from almost the beginning! (Well, make that two if you count the ending bit about going the wrong direction.)

The ex was a huge one that was just like "I talked to him, wasn't a big deal, don't care any more", and talking to the mother seems to be treated in the same way, "I'll go see her but I doubt it'll be a big deal, not worth worrying about". Keiko's two biggest issues for the entire series, and they're gone with a handwave and a shrug.

See, that's the kind of thing that bugs me a lot more than not getting a definitive answer to their relationship.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Hear hear Nez. It's really disappointing.

Rsz_eiji_3_-_kopie
joined Feb 16, 2015

A hand shake...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It violates "show, don't tell" really badly. Sure, Keiko got closure. But the reader did not. That's kind of important.

joined Nov 30, 2011

It violates "show, don't tell" really badly. Sure, Keiko got closure. But the reader did not. That's kind of important.

Especially when it's a major plot point that has had tons of build-up.

99d9b2dbc2494ead698e256216325ade
joined Oct 3, 2015

this was like a slap in the face
why is shou so mad ?

Norae
joined Oct 16, 2014

It seems that hastened the end , is not acceptable , Ran naked in the bathroom and in the bedroom with no reaction of Keiko . Keiko means straight 100 % ?? My God , could to end the story in a more decent . Frustrating , frustrating , frustrating , throw away such a beautiful story .

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

Especially since the entire point of the manga (imo) was to see the two grow as people and to see Keiko resolve the major issues in her life. We got one nice sense of closure when Ran saw her playing with the kids, but with nothing else.

joined Feb 19, 2013

Yuri is dead here i'm go crying in the corner.

joined Oct 11, 2010

The end of this seemed rushed to get an ending of some kind like a lot of series, more like it was forced by the publication than the mangaka… and you can sort'a see why in this case considering what the original concept of the manga was [stretching and puns] and what it was trying to become… an we will never know how much editorial "no, you can't do that" came in to play… and really so what? I liked it over all, I really wish it had gone on longer and was able to go into a bit more depth on things but it didn't… at least at this point...

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

It's funny how Stretch is so popular among yuri fans. We never like it too direct don't we? We like keeping our hopes up then get crushed at the end then pour our tears on this forum. Dynasy Scans is a bucket of tears

last edited at Oct 18, 2015 6:18PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

ieeheh

It's funny how Stretch is so popular among yuri fans. We never like it too direct don't we? We like keeping our hopes up then get crushed at the end then pour our tears on this forum. Dynasy Scans is a bucket of tears

I'd say we are more used to not having straight forward yuri and mostly things based at subtext so we naturally look for it.

joined Oct 12, 2013

I don't think people would have been nearly as invested if it hadn't been for Show.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The end of this seemed rushed to get an ending of some kind like a lot of series, more like it was forced by the publication than the mangaka… and you can sort'a see why in this case considering what the original concept of the manga was [stretching and puns] and what it was trying to become… an we will never know how much editorial "no, you can't do that" came in to play… and really so what? I liked it over all, I really wish it had gone on longer and was able to go into a bit more depth on things but it didn't… at least at this point...

It does have that editorial mandate feel, doesn't it? Like they told him around chapter 40 or so that there'd only be four volumes so wrap it up, but they'll give him some extra art pages to make up for it. Honestly, if it weren't for how slipshod the last few chapters were, I'd like the ending a lot better.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Lack of yuri tag means I was completely ignoring this for its entire run. Having heard some people complaining about its ending elsewhere, I decided to look at the last chapter. I can only say I'm grateful to whomever had the discipline to avoid tagging this yuri without evidence. I was saved from 44 other chapters of wasted time. "Even if we never meet again, we'll always be friends" is a Japanism that never fails to infuriate me. I can only imagine how bad it must've been for the people who were actually invested in this title.

last edited at Oct 18, 2015 8:06PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lack of yuri tag means I was completely ignoring this for its entire run. Having heard some people complaining about its ending elsewhere, I decided to look at the last chapter. I can only say I'm grateful to whomever had the discipline to avoid tagging this yuri without evidence. I was saved from 44 other chapters of wasted time. "Even if we never meet again, we'll always be friends" is a Japanism that never fails to infuriate me. I can only imagine how bad it must've been for the people who were actually invested in this title.

I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face by not reading it. For the sake of no confirmed yuri, you'd be missing out on a quite good slice of life series about two roommates who are very close indeed, with some quite satisfying funny bits and a dramatic thread that runs throughout, although that part isn't wrapped up very well.

Not to mention, the stretching. The stretching!!

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face by not reading it. For the sake of no confirmed yuri, you'd be missing out on a quite good slice of life series about two roommates who are very close indeed, with some quite satisfying funny bits and a dramatic thread that runs throughout, although that part isn't wrapped up very well.

Not to mention, the stretching. The stretching!!

Not sure about that.
Now in retrospective, I'm not sure if was a good idea to start reading this.
The ending without yuri and rushed like no tomorrow really leaves a terrible sour aftertaste.
Maybe I'm just still too angry and need to give it time to put in perspective...

Prism, of course that I would have faith, being the same author of Prism.
Of course, is also the author of those loli ero mangas...
Damn you Shou...

joined Oct 12, 2013

Prism, of course that I would have faith, being the same author of Prism.
Of course, is also the author of those loli ero mangas...
Damn you Shou...

And in the end we didn't get any lesbians or any lolis. Poor show, Show.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

It was just rushed. The manga itself was good until the end, when everything that was built up was given no conclusion, nor was the ending fleshed out at all. For me, I need a good ending. I hate being left out to dry. So if you're like me, don't bother reading. If you can deal with a poor conclusion, go ahead and read, because the ride is good, but the park job was crap.

The_guy
joined Feb 26, 2012

It's ok if you cried.

Untitled-1
joined Aug 29, 2013

It's ok if you cried.

Yeah Dynasty Scans' bucket of tears is bottomless. The weeping will go on forever.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hmm...I am so glad I never wasted my time with this one O.o

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

It's still a good series with a lot of teasing, really not much different from something like Nanoha

I absolutly have no sympathy as to why people are not bothering with series because of a relativly harmless ending, Sakura Trick got a lot of flak for this too despite the good comedy, the great compensating of an low budget with clever use of animation and some unique character dynamics you usually don't get

This isn't Cross Ange which send shitty morals from the get go

last edited at Oct 20, 2015 10:31AM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

It's still a good series with a lot of teasing, really not much different from something like Nanoha

I absolutly have no sympathy as to why people are not bothering with series because of a relativly harmless ending, Sakura Trick got a lot of flak for this too despite the good comedy, the great compensating of an low budget with clever use of animation and some unique character dynamics you usually don't get

This isn't Cross Ange which send shitty morals from the get go

Sad cuz this is one the best slice of life (character-driven) mangas I've read (yuri stuff really lacks of anything like this). Cannot understand the people that actually believed this would deliver anything more than subtext-levels, it was clearly never going to, some ended up disappointing by their delusions.

Understandable if anyone has problems with how it ended, there are actual problems with it that will come off jarring in comparison with the storytelling of the rest of the manga.

To reply you must either login or sign up.