Forum › Shoujo Shikkaku discussion

Ss%20(2015-08-13%20at%2011.16.07)
joined Jul 3, 2015

Also before saying something so crazy and nonsensical, at least give your sources.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Wow, this thing doesn't hang around, huh? Jeez, girls, you have a week! Pace yourselves! Nobody even tried to figure out what's happening or if "winning" even matters, yet, they just found their bags full of toys and jumped straight to the stabbing. If this is all it took to get them going, I'm amazed that there weren't life-or-death knife fights breaking out in home ec every day.

Also, lol, that girl managed to sneak up on everyone in a straight, open corridor, getting stealth backstab criticals with a goddamn live chainsaw. Just how. How any of this. How's a high school girl even going to sling an actual full-size chainsaw around, anyway? Shit's heavy! It's not even a good weapon! Who decided the equipment loadouts, anyway? You get some girls having to sneak around with a kitchen knife while others get a bag of grenades? So unbalanced.

Didn't somebody say that this author hasn't done anything with action, before? Because it really shows.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 3:43PM

Pic1
joined Aug 29, 2013

wtf are you talking about, how could YuriHime stop publishing yuri -_-

That is what the editor mentioned, not me. Aye, but I'm the one assuming the worst-case scenario. We won't really know what sort of directional change they truly intended till starting from next year at least. But it's not really too much to worry about. The yuri genre has grown quite a bit. It's more than just Yuri Hime as you've noticed.

I was just disputing that poster who claims Yuri Hime don't publish the "dark" stuff, they always have. However, "fluffy yuri" has it's roots for a reason.

Also before saying something so crazy and nonsensical, at least give your sources.

Do some research next time. Why would any real yuri fan want the magazine to turn into a hetero one?
https://twitter.com/trinder_yuri/status/600852290115768320/photo/1

I think that is a lot of fearmongering. Yuri Hime wont suddenly turn into a het magazine.

Just in case. No one knows like I said. What is likely to happen though (if it does), might be more subtext, "moe-type fluff" stories and less explicit yuri. Because these things sell really well in Japan.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 3:59PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Wow, this thing doesn't hang around, huh? Jeez, girls, you have a week! Pace yourselves! Nobody even tried to figure out what's happening or if "winning" even matters, yet, they just found their bags full of toys and jumped straight to the stabbing. If this is all it took to get them going, I'm amazed that there weren't life-or-death knife fights breaking out in home ec every day.

Also, lol, that girl managed to sneak up on everyone in a straight, open corridor, getting stealth backstab criticals with a goddamn live chainsaw. Just how. How any of this. How's a high school girl even going to sling an actual full-size chainsaw around, anyway? Shit's heavy! It's not even a good weapon! Who decided the equipment loadouts, anyway? You get some girls having to sneak around with a kitchen knife while others get a bag of grenades? So unbalanced.

Didn't somebody say that this author hasn't done anything with action, before? Because it really shows.

Chainsaw isn't even running... (don't know if intended or not)

Even with a swing with it's heavy weight behind it, a chainsaw not running will not do the damage it did here, a chainsaw's teeth aren't design to cut in that way, needs to be running...

Promo-facebook-facebook%20profile%20picture
joined May 24, 2014

I've been extremely curious about you for a while, as you scanlated so many things practically on your own.
Are you fluent in Japanese? Where are you from? What made you start doing this? You mentioned that you were curious about this present series but not enough to take the effort to read it in Japanese, so does reading Japanese take a lot of effort for you? Does it take you a lot of time to scanlate?

Answering in order, I am not fluent in Japanese, I did study Japanese in college for a few years, but my actual reading vocabulary is on the small side, but that's what online dictionaries are for. Plus I've purchased close to a dozen dictionaries and language references over the years. I am from Kansas in the USA.

I started doing this simply because I had purchased "Her World" in Japanese and I wanted to be able to read it in English. (It was even harder for me to read Japanese at that time.) I translated about the first half and kept playing with the idea of producing a scanlation. Then I had the chance to get a copy of some old software that could handle the editing, and started experimenting with a different chapter and eventually released it through Dynasty. Some here will remember that fiasco. WeatheredPeach gave me a lot of help on improving my editing, and over time I like to believe I've improved my translations.

Yes it is difficult for me to sit down and read Japanese. In addition to having a relatively small reading vocabulary, it takes more attention and focus to read much of what I do have than with English.With most manga if I give it that focus, I'll get a pretty fair idea of most of what's going on, but unless I take the time to look things up I'll miss a lot. The most effective way for me to read Japanese thoroughly is to transcribe what I don't immediately understand into the computer and then use computer resources. I have a program call rikaikun that will give me definitions of Japanese words just by doing a mouse over, so the only time I spend much time with a word is if rikaikun doesn't know it or if it's definition is suspect. And my reading vocabulary is slowly growing.

Yes it takes time to scanlate. I consider it my hobby. It takes a lot of time for most people to scanlate. I don't know how I compare to others, but I know I take less than half the time I used to, and that's still improving. And of course it depends heavily on the material I'm doing. Some pages it can take a long time just to do the editing, say there's a complex redraw I can't get out of, or there is a large quantity of highly varied lettering, or the page was damaged for some reason and has to be repaired. Other times it may take some time to figure out complex sentences. My usual method is to take each page and do any redraws needed, clean it, translate it and letter it in that order, then go on to the next page. Sometimes translating it really is as simple as just looking at it and reading it. Once I've done the whole chapter, I go back over the translation in detail to work out any problems, find any errors and polish the translation. Then I usually get help to QC it. The fastest I've ever done a page is 8 minutes. the slowest, even after throwing out when I was first starting... Well there was a reason for the four month gap in releases when I was working on chapter two of Secret of the Princess. A few pages had taken me over 3 hours each, and I got discouraged and stopped working on it for quite a while. That was because of redraws, a lot of text, and I didn't have either rikaikun or an OCR program then; it takes time to look up Kanji in a physical dictionary, especially when you haven't yet learned how most of the radicals are used. When I finally got back to it, most pages went quite a bit faster, so it wasn't as bad as I thought. And as I said, I think I'm at least twice as fast now as I was then, in part because of making better use of computer resources.

Ah! A wall of text; sorry to talk your ear off.

Edit: And off topic besides. Sorry Nezchan.

Wow, sounds like a lot of work you put into your hobby :-)
I feel your pain, I took Japanese in high school and a course in college, but I still feel like my vocabulary is shit and it takes forever to translate even the smallest things and it can get quite frustrating.. I went through it translating the first episode of a drama I desperately wanted to see, it took me pretty much a week and a half..
But thank god for Rikaikun and Denshi Jisho for all these messed up non-JLPT kanji I have no clue how to read lol..

Whew I'm rambling xD What I actually wanted to say was that I'm grateful to people like you who invest so much of their free time scanlating yuri manga, because without you, ... well I wouldn't have my regular dose of yuri and that would suck xD
You da real MVP. :D

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 4:11PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's pretty bad actually. Two chapters and I'm already bored.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I'm not even sure these girls need a week to kill off their classmates..

the shock value has worn off by like the second pair killed.

joined Jul 3, 2015

Do some research next time. Why would any real yuri fan want the magazine to turn into a hetero one?

My bad, I tried to search but didn't think to look at twitter.

I don't really know anything about YuriHime, except for all the releases in Dynasty. And I think I haven't seen any het series from them here. This is why I am very confused when they say Yuri may not be the main attraction.
Do YuriHime publish a lot of het series, and just happen to not be released here/ translated?

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Do YuriHime publish a lot of het series, and just happen to not be released here/ translated?

YurHime publishes Yuri exclusively. Not stories with het as the main focus (but it can happen for drama reasons). I doubt they will change that seeing how Citurs is one of their big series. Worst case they will add some less yuri stories but it is highly doubtful they will suddenly cut all the yuri content.

Edit: In general, people should calm down and see what happens. The twitter thing can interpreted in different ways like shifting towards more plot instead of pure yuri or doing 'friendship' stuff like Kiara magazines tend to do. But yuri content wont just vanish. If not YH then some other magazines are going to provide it.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 4:34PM

joined Jul 8, 2013

Yup i'm super devastated that obnoxious, selfish, and annoying girl died. Not sure how I can continue this series with her having been killed. OH WAIT! THAT ACTUALLY MOTIVATED ME TO CONTINUE FURTHER! LET'S KILL MORE ANNOYING PEOPLE!

This is what I posted after reading the first chapter. And the fact that they just did it again in this second chapter makes me feel that me quoting myself perfectly summarizes how I feel exactly the same as I did the first chapter. LET'S KILL ALL THE ANNOYING PEOPLE. Shame that Kaede had to die though. Fuck the rest of them though.
Otherwise, this series is actually pretty dumb. They're literally just introducing characters for the sole purpose of dying and no other reason and that's just endless stupid. But as long as it continues to be unlikable bitches I can tolerate that shit lol.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 4:48PM

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Have you tried breathing into a paper bag? You're sounding a bit tense there.

joined Jul 3, 2015

Sigh...
People coming into this series knowing they won't like, then get even more butthurt when they get what they expected, then feel the urge to let out their frustration here.

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

Critisism is perfectly valid for the very first chapters, this isn't Citrus where we have people with this masochistic tendencies to let out their frustrations for a series they could have abandonded 7 chapters ago

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Everyone is just dying too fucking fast. And tone shifts are weird.

I mean, I will continue reading this, I just don't really like it that much so far.

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 5:24PM

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I can't help but feel as though it would have been better had the pair killed by chainsaw girl lived and been companions for the main pair for a while. It would have given them characters and build up and probably would have made us when when they eventually had kicked the bucket.

joined Apr 18, 2013

This is really confusing.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I don't know, I'm having a blast so far. That girl showing up out of nowhere with her stealth chainsaw was possibly the funniest thing I've seen all week. And the madly inappropriate blushing and swooning and "Gasp! Her face is so close!" when both of them are coated in the still-warm blood of her former classmates? Wow. WOW.

Oh! Just had a thought. We may have been looking at this all wrong. See, we've been making comparisons to Battle Royale and all that stuff, for obvious reasons, but what if that's not it at all? What if the frame of reference here isn't Battle Royale, or even Dangan Ronpa? What if the frame of reference here is Tokyo Gore Police? Or Meatball Machine? I feel like we see the high school setting and the darkly psychological themes of clique mentality and dehumanisation of the outsider and automatically interpret it as being a manga about stuff, when it's actually a trashy low-budget gore fest with lesbians.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

This would be SO much better if it wasn't a high(secondary?) school setting... Why does everything have to be school setting?! >.< Why not some random people get kidnapped and put somewhere? I'd fit this so much more and it wouldn't seem so weird that the mysterious girl is so bold about killing people. If she was like a 25 year old woman, but a 14 year old girl... it's hard to believe... >.< oh geez... like, they could have made it a bit like 999... sigh~

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

wtf are you talking about, how could YuriHime stop publishing yuri -_-

That is what the editor mentioned, not me. Aye, but I'm the one assuming the worst-case scenario. We won't really know what sort of directional change they truly intended till starting from next year at least. But it's not really too much to worry about. The yuri genre has grown quite a bit. It's more than just Yuri Hime as you've noticed.

I was just disputing that poster who claims Yuri Hime don't publish the "dark" stuff, they always have. However, "fluffy yuri" has it's roots for a reason.

I think that is a lot of fearmongering. Yuri Hime wont suddenly turn into a het magazine.

Just in case. No one knows like I said. What is likely to happen though (if it does), might be more subtext, "moe-type fluff" stories and less explicit yuri. Because these things sell really well in Japan.

Please don't start these absolute bullshit unfounded rumours.

If you read the post you actually linked to, it's talking about the popular works that run in Yuri Hime and what makes them appeal to a broader audience (Citrus, Yuru Yuri). Essentially it suggests that they would like to focus on stories that are "another appeal + yuri", rather than "yuri + another appeal". There's nothing in here about "going to het" or some nonsense. It's about making good stories that happen to have yuri in them, rather than yuri for the sake of yuri.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

Pacing is horrible. Development is forced as hell. And Grenade has 1m radius blast?

And the whole chainsaw things as people pointed out. Not to mention the girl was apparently trained with throwing those ninja dagger? It should be really difficult to throw it like that.

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

Characters dying before anybody even knows who they are? Gr8 writing.

1601027_795818500441432_7671980177939230942_n
joined Apr 14, 2014

It's a sad day.The story has a great potential, but is toooooo fast paced, i mean,i like the idea of the author trying to give new characters backstories, but if they gonna die after 2 page, what's the point then ?
It's seems to me the author was forced to make it a short manga, but you cant do it with this type story. Feelsbadman

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Pacing is horrible. Development is forced as hell. And Grenade has 1m radius blast?

I'm no expert, but aren't grenades made to spew shrapnel, not explosive force? Even if a person's on the far side of the room, they'd still probably be badly hurt.

Sigh...
People coming into this series knowing they won't like, then get even more butthurt when they get what they expected, then feel the urge to let out their frustration here.

Ah, you're right (about me anyway). I read chapter 2; that was stupid of me.

Promo-facebook-facebook%20profile%20picture
joined May 24, 2014

It's a sad day.The story has a great potential, but is toooooo fast paced, i mean,i like the idea of the author trying to give new characters backstories, but if they gonna die after 2 page, what's the point then ?
It's seems to me the author was forced to make it a short manga, but you cant do it with this type story. Feelsbadman

Agreed, after reading the first chapter, I thought it had the potential to be something epic involving yuri and fights and I was really excited but the second chapter made me feel like the author compressed 3 or 4 chapters into one.
Man, I really really hope the next chapter will have better pacing! Maybe Yuri Hime wanted this manga to be an "experiment" and they tried to keep it short on purpose so they could finish it quickly in case the reception is bad?
That or the author just has crappy pacing. Dunno xD

last edited at Aug 16, 2015 6:58PM

God%20hgelp%20me
joined Jun 9, 2013

My criticism is pretty much the same as everyone else's. Too fast paced and we barely get time to connect with the dying characters. No exposition on what the fuck is going on other than them waking up chained to another person and going around killing because reasons.
By the by, how come the grenade has such a small radius??? I'm sorry but I'm disappointed that this is so poorly thought out and presented.

Alas it won't stop me from reading it because I'm a sucker for this type of shit lmfao. Even if it's poorly executed I will still read it :')

To reply you must either login or sign up.