Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

I remember reading the first two chapters a long time ago and thinking I wouldn't like it much, but now that I've read up to 15, It's one of my favorites.

I am the same. Some character development for Kurosawa made her at least bearable and the supporting cast is really good (although it might be too good).

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I take the series is still going on Japan?

It is. We're only two chapters behind on the scans (a special chapter and the recently released chapter 16). It seems to be doing fairly well.

https://twitter.com/sayu_0/status/624202452720418816

mmm. I noticed minor spelling errors ("wa" instead of "we"), couple of grammar problems. I noticed a sentenced that was left untranslated from the french translation from a background character "tu me sors une epine du pied", etc.

Yeah, that one is embarrassing as hell (it means "you're saving me", more or less)… --'.`-- I wanted to catch up quickly so I neglected proofreading a bit too much. I'm more careful now, though (and I got help from a native speaker for the last chapter, that too).

Oh, wouldn't you know it, they actually have released drama CD for this. I'm still trying to find further details on it, though.

The first one will be released in September I think. For more details, I'll quote myself two pages back >

For those curious, we have the voice actors for the first drama CD.

https://twitter.com/anokonikiss/status/625320585661288448

Ayaka > Terui Haruka
Yurine > Mizuhashi Kaori (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFiO0-E70k)
Mizuki > Uchiyama Yumi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIUZbT8e3s)
Moe > Numakura Manami (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjzqZRT_l7Y)

Apparently Ayaka's VA has mostly voiced minor characters… the other three are pretty well known though.

And if you can read Japanese… http://www.edge-records.jp/title/anokiss/

last edited at Aug 6, 2015 9:54AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, that one is embarrassing as hell (it means "you're saving me", more or less)… --'.`-- I wanted to catch up quickly so I neglected proofreading a bit too much. I'm more careful now, though (and I got help from a native speaker for the last chapter, that too).

Would personnaly translate it to "you're a lifesaver !". ^^

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Or "you saved me in a pinch".

Maki%20und%20nico
joined Nov 18, 2014

I really enjoyed reading it. For me it's kinda different than other manga's because the two "main character's" are not in every chapter and we get to know many more character's and story's which i really like. Keep up the great work!

joined Aug 6, 2015

I really enjoyed reading it. For me it's kinda different than other manga's because the two "main character's" are not in every chapter and we get to know many more character's and story's which i really like. Keep up the great work!

I think that's part of the reason I'm starting not to like this series as much as I did in the first couple of chapters. I feel like there's just an over-saturation of couples, now. Two to three I think is okay, but it seems like now there's a new couple every 3 chapters. I know we're still at the point where the number of couples is fairly low, but I'd much rather the author develop what we have rather than continuing to add in more and more mini arcs for new couples.

I feel like it's a bit ridiculous.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

^ Considering chap 16 goes back on Moe and Mizuki, I think we're done with the introduction of the main couples. We have AyaYuri, MoeMizu, IzuChiha and YukiTowa. I don't really see many others being introduced at this point (though I'm not in Canno's head…)

Au passage, pour les francophones, les chapitres 15 et 15,5 sont dispos en français sur le site de la MMT. =3 Faut juste les chercher parmi les cookies dans la news. X) Oui, on aime être chiants chez nous.

The English Chapter 15.5 should also be on Batoto before long.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Shiramine is so tsundere, it's not even funny anymore.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Shiramine is so tsundere, it's not even funny anymore.

Mangas that replay the same old jokes over and over again with the relationships not developing get boring real quick. I love the art on this one so I keep coming back and the side couples are really fun to read, but the main couple... honestly, Shiramine needs to at least kiss her willingly by now, without the thought of trying to outdo her.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Don't forget that this special happens before chapter 11 though, i.e. before the whole funk with the gardening club happened.

Personally, more than Ayaka's tsundereing, I don't get tired of Yurine's trolling in these special chapters. =3 She anticipates all her reactions and plays her like a harp, which is a bit of a change from the usual romcom dynamic of "why does she hate me I don't understand? ;__; "

On another note, it's kinda sweet to see Towako trying to keep Yukina for herself, but in a non-creepy way this time.

Chiharu-Izumi is still hilarious, and Mizuki is still adorable. Damn is she adorable.

last edited at Aug 8, 2015 8:00AM

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

except it's hilarious and not associated with the cancer of physical abuse

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

The special really makes me realize how much I like Shiramine and Kurosawa's interactions. Wish the manga would focus on them more

65752315_p1
joined May 1, 2014

I don't know why but I love this stupid manga xD

Hahaha that homemade chocolate.... XD AFORBZ those two main gurlz

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Woah, genuine tsundere chocolate here, awesome XD

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I have conflicting feelings about this series.

The art is incredible and the characters are very expressive. The tone of the series is wonderfully fluffy and heartwarming but the writing itself feels like it lacks a focus, we go from set piece to set piece without a clear thread connecting them and our protagonists are awfully underdeveloped,

I severely disagree. All girls have a connection to each other in some way, and we get glimpses of each love's story. And each love gets a thorough and well-bred development. There is not one underdeveloped character in the entire bunch (unless you count the endpage characters?); the personality, habits, connections, feelings, and thoughts of every character are clearly outlined and given. And don't get me started on the relationships...I thought for sure that one of them was bound and doomed for mediocrity, but each one has its own flavor and sparkle, without any one being even remotely similar to the other.

Perhaps what is confusing you about the writing is how non-traditional (for Occidentals) it is? The writing splits into separate stories in the same world, focusing on different characters for every other arc while the collective whole is leading toward a final and clear end goal for the 'main' couple.

I don't particularly know what you were expecting out of this, I suppose. Because hands down this is one of the best series ongoing at the moment. And truth be told now that LOVE/DEATH wrapped up, I can count maybe 4 series that are arguably better (and not by much).

joined May 10, 2011

So god damn adorable.

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

I have conflicting feelings about this series.

The art is incredible and the characters are very expressive. The tone of the series is wonderfully fluffy and heartwarming but the writing itself feels like it lacks a focus, we go from set piece to set piece without a clear thread connecting them and our protagonists are awfully underdeveloped,

I take the series is still going on Japan? With the last arc the writing seemed to improve (even if it cranked the drama unecessarily)

Yeah, I agree. I've taken to reading the arcs of one couple in one, instead of going from one couple to another completely new one, and then another completely new one, and then back to the "main" one again.

I wish they'd have one introductory chapter, showing all the characters, and then focused on one couple and everything else would either be a background focus in extra chapters instead of several sudden main ones, or focus on one "main" couple at a time and then moving onto another one as soon as that arc is concluded, with the characters with completed arcs existing as secondary characters that never take the focus off of the newer ones.

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

Woah, genuine tsundere chocolate here, awesome XD

Doesn't get much more tsundere than "I hate you" in a giant heart lol.

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I guess people just don't want to have to keep an active brain while they read lol...this one isn't even entirely all too difficult which confuses me.

Ever read any longer shounen manga ever? Yeah same exact style of skeleton going on here just within the confines of a yuri niche.

last edited at Aug 8, 2015 7:23PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Main couple has been rather disappointing all throughout, much prefer side couples, even the over-the-top girls with the garden.

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

That tsundere-late heart may be the best thing ever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I guess people just don't want to have to keep an active brain while they read lol...this one isn't even entirely all too difficult which confuses me.

Ever read any longer shounen manga ever? Yeah same exact style of skeleton going on here just within the confines of a yuri niche.

Is not about having an active brain, is about the writing lacking a focus to drive all the plots forward. Characters suddenly appear and dissapear making nearly impossible to leave a strong impression on the reader (I've read the whole series TWICE I can't still recall the names of all the characters) and the pacing itself is all over the place.

If the stories where unconnected and every couple were just cameos to cement the universe of the story it would've worked wonderfully but instead we're suppossed to see all the characters through the eyes of the main couple when Shiromine is a one trick pony whom entire charactertization so far is being a tsundere, Yurine has a better characterization but aside of the Gardening club arc she feels completely detached from all the other characters.

You mention shounen manga, but those devote at least a third of their whole run to develop the main characters first and once they're perfectly defined, is when the author introduces new characters.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Actually, the reason mentioning shounen manga is no defence is that shounen manga are so often crap. Bloody harems full of bloody filler.
This manga has some definite virtues. I like the art, I like many of the bits and pieces, a good deal of the comedy. It tends to have a nice lively feel. I like the way the different couples may all be in love but express it in quite different ways. But plotting, pacing, transitions, cohesion are not strengths here.

2x2-shinobuden-m001
joined Dec 14, 2014

Probably one of the best school life series on here at the moment. That is, if you accept what some found to be incoherent writing, which also could be interpretated as a slight slice of life tinge. To be fair to the author, there is plenty of interaction between Yurine and the other couples from which Yurine profited immensely. I'm still not sure whether or not I really like Ayaka and the tsunderays she beams down. The story picks up after the first two chapters, which have their focus on the main couple (is there actually a main couple? Moe and Mizuki are fierce competition).

On the rose garden arc: I got the notion what Towako does is not only about the garden they built together, which they are inevitably going to leave behind one way or another, but about her relationship to Yukina in general, which is asymmetric what with Yukina's high social standing, Towako being the employee's relative and the fact that she probably sees herself as totally dependent on Yukina. Whereas Yukina could only be dependent on her if she requites her feelings (which seem to be of a romantic kind - thus compounding the whole situation). Having surmised her chances to be low, she was trying to burn all the bridges to Yukina to live off the preserved memory of Yukina.

I don't think the whole thing was her being possessive and 'yandere', but angst-driven and desperate. I was glad Yukina turned out to have a big enough heart to forgive her and loved her back.

To reply you must either login or sign up.