Forum › Kase-san discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I'll find it incredibly amusing if at the end of this Inoue's all like "Wait, Kase's GAY!?"

joined Aug 11, 2014

Hey, wait a second! There weren't any crepes at all in this chapter!

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I suspect the next chapter will probably be a "Part 2"

joined Jan 16, 2016

There are crêpes at the first page... and they look so yummy...
I want one! :(

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I'll find it incredibly amusing if at the end of this Inoue's all like "Wait, Kase's GAY!?"

I vote for you XD

So Inoue-senpai was serious after all.

......I shall take this opportunity to remind y'all, that we see the story through Yamada's lense.
IMO, Inoue's "stay out of it" was very much in regards to the race. I am not saying, Inoue has zero feelings for Kase, but like someone else here mentioned recently, my take is that it's more about Inoue having had Kase to herself previously - as a friendly rival and close friend. She knows, Yamada who never joined a club is unfamiliar to the whole (friendly) competition-attitude, so she's telling her in her own straight forward and fierce way to just not butt in.

As for Yamada's (and the readers') bias, it's all based on assumptions.
For all that matters, people could start similar rumors about Yamada and Mikawacchi: They are close, Mikawacchi acts protective about Yamada, they always show up in tandem in public...

I feel, it's noteworthy how sexy serious-Kase looks on page 4.

All the best wishes to Takashima-sama, that her stomach issues are nothing serious and she's gonna get better soon!

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

There are crêpes at the first page... and they look so yummy...
I want one! :(

...taking into account how Kase previously stuffed widdle smol Yamada with strawberries, the "What Kase wants to eat are sweet strawberry crepes"-line gets a whole new 'poetic' meaning...

Blank-face-emoji
joined Mar 8, 2016

I feel like...okay. This is getting boring. I am not excited at all or wanting to know anymore the deal about Inoue but the story is taking too long to find the conclusion whether Inoue is an ex, a potential rival to Yamada or something else. This is getting tiring for me. Lol. (My opinions, my problems.)

Anyway, I'll go with the assumption that Inoue will confess here after the race whether she loses or not or whatever. Just conclude already. Lel.

last edited at Aug 29, 2016 6:36PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I've been on the "Yamada is Kase-san's first girlfriend" train right from the beginning. For all of her pretty normal reactions about being turned on by Yamada and liking to kiss her and generally being a perfect girlfriend, she's really innocent in her reactions. Even more so when she's with Inoue, she really doesn't act like she's interacting with an ex-girlfriend. In fact, she acts like the idea of them as an item never occurred to her, and still doesn't. It's all about the running where Inoue is concerned, because for Kase, that's their only point of interaction.

Also from a storytelling perspective, Yamada being certain that Inoue is in love with Kase-san suggests she's totally wrong, given how far off the mark she usually is about this stuff.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I feel like...okay. This is getting boring. I am not exciting at all or wanting to know anymore the deal about Inoue but the story is taking too long to find the conclusion whether Inoue is an ex, a potential rival to Yamada or something else. This is getting tiring for me. Lol. (My opinions, my problems.)

Anyway, I'll go with the assumption that Inoue will confess here after the race whether she loses or not or whatever. Just conclude already. Lel.

That sounds awful for you. My condolences. I dunno how to solve this for you.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I've been on the "Yamada is Kase-san's first girlfriend" train right from the beginning. For all of her pretty normal reactions about being turned on by Yamada and liking to kiss her and generally being a perfect girlfriend, she's really innocent in her reactions. Even more so when she's with Inoue, she really doesn't act like she's interacting with an ex-girlfriend. In fact, she acts like the idea of them as an item never occurred to her, and still doesn't. It's all about the running where Inoue is concerned, because for Kase, that's their only point of interaction.

Also from a storytelling perspective, Yamada being certain that Inoue is in love with Kase-san suggests she's totally wrong, given how far off the mark she usually is about this stuff.

Yeah this all reads as a giant misunderstanding that is pretty much entirely Mikawa's fault because she just would not stop hammering on about this piece of gossip she heard and treating it as fact even though there's no evidence whatsoever to corroborate it. Like it almost feels like she's actively trying to sabotage Yamada because how could anyone be that aggressively oblivious to the effect their wild speculation is having on their closest friend.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Yeah this all reads as a giant misunderstanding that is pretty much entirely Mikawa's fault because she just would not stop hammering on about this piece of gossip she heard and treating it as fact even though there's no evidence whatsoever to corroborate it. Like it almost feels like she's actively trying to sabotage Yamada because how could anyone be that aggressively oblivious to the effect their wild speculation is having on their closest friend.

Inb4 Mikawa is the final boss

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I will accept this line of thought only when Yamada pries the sword from Kase-san's warm, live body.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Maybe we can root for a Mikawa x Inoue ending?

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking of it.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking of it.

Hey, it worked for Lily Love, why not here?

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

So i finally took the time to re-read this once more and... What, that senpai chick is the same one from chapter 6? There's no way she ever got to hit Kase, seems like they became friends only after Kase started to observe yamada, can't believe i forgot we had that much insight on her for such a long time, but at the same time amusing to say the least that the author is insisting in keeping the suspense even though the answer is pretty clear

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I dunno about all the "Inoue isn't actually interested in Kase that way, it's just our romance-oriented perspective". I mean, the other alternative is that Inoue is truly a massive bitch.

Really, say you're Inoue. You've got your friend and running-rival Kase-san, and she introduces you to someone who is also her friend but, since she's a different kind of person who isn't into the same kind of stuff you are, is no threat whatsoever to your running-oriented relationship with Kase-san. But Kase-san clearly seems to like her and she seems like an inoffensive girl. Normally, you'd say some polite nothings, maybe even be nice to her because hey, if Kase-san likes her, maybe she's nice.
Just what kind of person do you have to be to instead poke fun at her schtick as some of the very first words out of your mouth, and then bitch her out, warning her to not get in your way when there has been no sign or indication or reason that she would? It goes beyond bitchy, it doesn't make any sense. What is "in the way" even supposed to mean in this context, she's supposed to be expecting Yamada to stand in the track or something? She's obviously, and indeed Inoue knows her to be, a quiet little girl who will quietly watch them race. So it's just gratuitous venom.

The only kind of person it makes a lick of sense to be talking to like that is a rival. Except if Inoue only sees Kase-san as a running rival, Yamada totally is not a rival or in the way in any way shape or form. But a romantic rival--that, Inoue could certainly see her as; when you've got a crush on someone, it's always easy to believe someone else could, and here's this Yamada girl hanging around Kase-san even though she has nothing obviously in common with her; she can probably smell it in the way Yamada looks at Kase.

So yeah--either Inoue sees Yamada as a romantic rival, or she's the kind of person who just automatically sneers at and tries to intimidate anyone a friend introduces her to. But in the bits about her and Kase-san on their own, she didn't really seem like that, and I'd certainly wonder if Kase-san went around being best buds with that kind of person.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Just what kind of person do you have to be to instead poke fun at her schtick as some of the very first words out of your mouth, and then bitch her out, warning her to not get in your way when there has been no sign or indication or reason that she would? It goes beyond bitchy, it doesn't make any sense. What is "in the way" even supposed to mean in this context, she's supposed to be expecting Yamada to stand in the track or something? She's obviously, and indeed Inoue knows her to be, a quiet little girl who will quietly watch them race. So it's just gratuitous venom.

Having the context and the entire dialogue in mind, I am personally set on a different interpretation:
Inoue kept asking about Yamada not being in any kind of (competitive) club. Inoue feels, that this means Yamada has no clue how Inoue and Kase's (buddy-)relationship works and what the upcoming race means to them (- rightfully so).
On top of that, Inoue herself is a competitive person. Chapter 6 made it clear, Inoue isn't too happy about all-too-angsty rivalism, but she does have the spirit. She said she doesn't understand Yamada, which mirrors in the way she speaks to her.
She's basically telling her "Dun step on my turf", refering to her buddy-rivralry with Kase rather than anything else.

IMO, the context of what Inoue refers to is right there and quite obvious. But we are biased by Yamada's POV, her thoughts and interpretation and her assumptions [by courtesy of Mikawa].

last edited at Aug 29, 2016 1:22PM

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

I dunno, I kinda expect that rumor to be caused by sempai.

joined Feb 18, 2015

There's been a lot of speculation about what Inoue-san's deal is. I don't understand why what seems to me the most obvious version hasn't been more popular.
I think Inoue-san has never been Kase-san's girlfriend and it's never even occurred to Kase-san as a possibility (in fact the longer the story goes the more I think that Kase-san has never had a girlfriend, it's just been assumed because she's so cool and princely)-- but Inoue-san wants her bad and was about the closest person to her for a long time, so she feels like Kase-san is her property. She's never had the guts to propose and sort of coasted as long as Kase-san seemed oblivious to romance and never got close to anyone in particular. She assumes that Yamada might be a junior version of the same thing, feels threatened by how much Kase-san's been talking about this new kid, but doesn't figure this mere non-athletic person for an actual girlfriend, at least not yet. So she's telling Yamada "I liked her first, I'm senior around here, she's mine, back off." In a rather snide and snippy way.

She may even have been planning to use this special occasion--this run just between the two of them--as an opportunity for confession. And now, from her point of view, there's a third wheel. Might go some way towards explaining how rude she's being.

I totally thing you are on the mark here! The times that we've seen her before, there was never any indication of a relationship beyond friendship and teammates, other than from Yamada's friend. But I could see Inoue having a crush on her that she never had the guts to do anything about, then deciding that with her coming to her college it was time to step it up. I can also see her not seeing Yamada as competition of any sort because of her "sports" mentality.

I could also see her thinking this as all, entirely, about running and Yamada is totally misreading everything because of her friend's exaggerations and Kase's odd behavior about her sempai. (Which you have to admit does seem to exist, at least from Yamada's point of view. Kase frequently gets a really goofy look when she is talking about Inoue sempai helping her out or coming to visit. I have to wonder how much of that is "Yamada vision" though instead of Kase actually acting differently?)

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Yamada has tried to ask things in the past but she is usually interrupted by Mikawa. Even though we see the signs that she is Kase's first girlfriend, I think it is very reasonable that Yamada sees Kase as so popular and desirable that it is totally plausible someone else came before her. After all, when Yamada says that she has never dated anyone before, Kase doesn't say anything back to her about her also being her first.

Kase is very popular and gets awards and recognition for her talent. Yamada is very kind and great at gardening, but does not receive awards or recognition outside her supervisor and Kase. It makes total sense to me why Yamada's perception of her desirability ended up being like this. It also makes sense that Kase likes her and sees a lot in her.

This isn't the first time I've seen it referenced in a manga that being in a sports club elevates you in the social structure of a high school, and it works that way in plenty of other countries too. When Yamada goes to college and finds "her people" I expect her internal self worth to go up a lot because she is being judged on something she is good at.

As a side note, Inoue seems to put a lot of stock into the social hierarchy of the sports clubs, love rival or no. She's being a jerk to the poor little gardener.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I saw 2-3 comments on the spelling of crêpe and I didnt think it was a big deal. I didnt pay attention to how it was actually spelled, but like how bad can it be, until I went back to check and realised that it isnt because they forgot an accent, and im cringing internally really hard.
Guys. Please. Like it's small thing, but please. I hope someone gets around to correcting it

last edited at Aug 29, 2016 9:20PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Having the context and the entire dialogue in mind, I am personally set on a different interpretation:

Gee, the context and the entire dialogue? {sarcasm}Wow, why didn't I think of any of that stuff? Here I was just looking at isolated phrases--you sure done opened my eyes!{/sarcasm}

Really, condescending much?

Inoue kept asking about Yamada not being in any kind of (competitive) club. Inoue feels, that this means Yamada has no clue how Inoue and Kase's (buddy-)relationship works and what the upcoming race means to them (- rightfully so).

Yeah, but so what? That gives a reason to look down on her as being a mere non-athletic person, sure. But not a reason to get in her face about it, or to expect her to somehow get in the way. I meet lots of people who I think are in one way or another inferior to me--I'm an arrogant person with a very strong sense of self-worth. I don't go enumerating their perceived inadequacies out loud, to them or to anyone else--and certainly not on first meeting. It would be incredibly rude, not to mention pointless and counterproductive.

On top of that, Inoue herself is a competitive person. Chapter 6 made it clear, Inoue isn't too happy about all-too-angsty rivalism, but she does have the spirit. She said she doesn't understand Yamada, which mirrors in the way she speaks to her.
She's basically telling her "Dun step on my turf", refering to her buddy-rivralry with Kase rather than anything else.

But that's a contradiction. If her turf is "her buddy-rivalry with Kase", then you've just established that precisely because she is not someone in that competitive world, she could not step on that turf and is not someone Inoue needs to compete with. You only need to warn someone off if they are a threat, not if they aren't.

IMO, the context of what Inoue refers to is right there and quite obvious. But we are biased by Yamada's POV, her thoughts and interpretation and her assumptions [by courtesy of Mikawa].

I won't go so far as to say it's obvious, because clearly intelligent people have various points of view here. I would want to claim, however, that I have reached my conclusions for reasons I feel are solid and which do not involve being biased by those things. If you want to make this a discussion of what you want to tell me I am biased by, this could get ugly.

So looking at "Why would she be harping on Yamada's non-club-ness and the unimportance of her plant appointee schtick?" Looked at from your perspective, it really makes little sense and is contradictory. If she really considered her running relationship with Kase the only important thing, her knowledge that Yamada was completely outside that world and a quiet person who worked hard at what she saw as unimportant things would make her feel secure. She might look down on Yamada, but it would be in a pleasant, tacit, unthreatened sort of way. The way she actually acted was quite insecure, like someone who is threatened.
But as soon as we see her interest as being much more than that, we realize why she's giving Yamada a hard time about the plant thing--precisely because she knows Kase thinks the plant thing and Yamada's quiet noncompetitive hard work is cool. So Yamada's plant work is a threat to her, it does make her a dangerous rival, if we understand "rivalry" as being for something bigger--Kase's affection. The contradiction is resolved.

last edited at Aug 29, 2016 11:30PM

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

But that's a contradiction. If her turf is "her buddy-rivalry with Kase", then you've just established that precisely because she is not someone in that competitive world, she could not step on that turf and is not someone Inoue needs to compete with. You only need to warn someone off if they are a threat, not if they aren't.

Here's a c&p of an earlier bit of mine from this thread, which may or may not elaborate my interpretation:
"[Inoue] just wants to run (and so does Kase). She's a good friend to Kase, who still keeps in frequent contact even after graduation. And her warning is more of a "You probably won't get this kind of competitiveness, but don't fret. You do your thing, and I do mine - and we'll be good."
Inoue is a strong-willed character, but chapter 6 also showed her not to be overly fond of drama and angsty rivalry. So this may be her way of saying she won't get jealous of or bud into their relationship as long Yamada won't get jealous of or tries to mess with their friendship... "

Again, this is my interpretation:
I neither see Inoue considering Yamada as a threat [per se] nor her words as intentionally aggressive. I don't think, there is a contradiction. In my opinion, Inoue was acting perky and friendly towards Yamada, a bit "clumsy" maybe, due to not being used to interact with someone outside athletics. The only argumentatively weird thing she said was the "don't get in my way". And in my eyes, she was even drawn in a relaxed, non-threatening pose when saying that (though, self-conscious Yamada may still feel threatened by Inoue's confidence and her own assumptions).

Or to misuse a movie quote: "This is my dance space. This is your dance space. I don't go into yours, you don't go into mine."

I won't go so far as to say it's obvious, because clearly intelligent people have various points of view here. I would want to claim, however, that I have reached my conclusions for reasons I feel are solid and which do not involve being biased by those things. If you want to make this a discussion of what you want to tell me I am biased by, this could get ugly.

I guess, instead of "in my opinion" I should have started that sentence with "to me". I do try to make a point to relativise my arguments with "my opinion" or start off with "my interpretation" and the like - yet I can see how my phrasing there was misleading. I am well aware different people have differing perception; which is how we may enjoy constructive discussions. Also, I did not want to imply assumptions about you when I wrote "we are biased". I was generalizing the entire audience, including myself, based on the narrative's POV and not meant as a snap judgement about you or anyone else personally.

I just wanted to present a counter-argument to your hostility against Inoue. Yet, of course, your interpretation is at this point as valid as mine.

However, please take into consideration that this is an international board and English may not be everybody's first language. I don't know about you, but it's not mine. Though I do try my very best, I apologize for any bad or bad-choice phrasing, grammar or spelling mistakes and resulting misunderstandings.

Edit:
Btw, I was not trying to be condescending or a smart-ass. I was merely indicating my approach and conclusion being different to yours - while affirming I [also] have the entire portrayal present - in response to your question:

What is "in the way" even supposed to mean in this context

last edited at Aug 30, 2016 9:58AM

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Inoue was never her girlfriend, was she.

It's going to be annoying when that's revealed. That means you wasted all this time with drama over a simple misunderstanding.

To reply you must either login or sign up.