Forum › Posts by Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Not really sure what to think. There are some stories with robots that I liked, mostly because the robot itself experienced love in a particular way, when it was not expected nor intended for that to happen. It feels more "human" when it's the result of an event outside it's programming, as it'd be the development of actual feelings. But the robot specifically programmed to love, always seems as kind of creepy. Even though she's not it's owner, instead of seeing a romantic development, I see a machine fulfilling it's program, void of emotions...

I mean romantic/sexual attraction is basically just organic programming anyway. Animals are basically just poorly optimized self-propagating robots made out of meat.

Poorly optimized? Yeah, 'cause we see all these robots capable of surviving highly variable environments, finding their own fuel, doing their own maintenance, and reproducing. Animals are very well optimized, life is just very difficult.

Purple Library Guy
Reversible discussion 12 Jan 04:40
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

These two have definite problems with being too proud by half to admit to themselves they're majorly crushing on the other girl.
So instead they keep coming up with blatant excuses to keep meeting up, which is pretty cute.

Also apparently Kie's already getting casually familiar with the old maidservant lel. inb4 the old lady totally ships them

Oh, they can admit it to themselves. It's just each other they're having trouble with. Rich girl thinks the poor girl is using her and doesn't want to humiliate herself with one-sided emotion. Poor girl thinks the rich girl is contemptuous of her common-ness and briefly-adopted profession, and doesn't want to be vulnerable when she's cast off.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This has some absolutely hilarious dialogue.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Personally, I love yuri, am actually fine with het romance, but yaoi doesn't usually grab me. However, for Usolily I happily check out the yaoi parts. Komura Ayumi's stuff is just so adorable and funny that I mostly ignore genre. She's one of those people where even when I read bits that intellectually I know aren't amazing quality, I can't feel it in my gut--I still love it.

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Damn, lets hope this is the last of the biphobia in this comment thread, I don't want to read any more comments like this. Pure lesbians lmao

No wanting hetero or bi relationships in your yuri story is not really biphobia.

Haha, this is such a "I'm not racist, but..." line

So I have to like bisexual characters? I am not allowed to like lesbian characters?

Uh, you're supposed to like characters based on their merits as people or as characters propelling the action, rather than based on whether they're lesbian or bi?

Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Damn, lets hope this is the last of the biphobia in this comment thread, I don't want to read any more comments like this. Pure lesbians lmao

No wanting hetero or bi relationships in your yuri story is not really biphobia.

Haha, this is such a "I'm not racist, but..." line

It isn't though. I personally have never minded some bi in my yuri, or for that matter would be interested in reading bi stories that weren't primarily yuri. But the people who don't want any, it's not because they don't like bi people in their yuri manga, it's because they don't want guys in their yuri manga. They wouldn't mind a ton of bi characters if the setting was a female-only planet where any desire for men the characters might feel was by definition frustrated.

So it is if anything male-phobic. But, speaking as a guy, you can't be racist against guys because we're so far still top dogs in the social structure so nobody can oppress us. So it's fine.

last edited at Jan 6, 2017 4:44PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

everyone has a different pairing in their minds, it's hilarious...

There are so many possibilities but I can't see any way this is ending up happily for everyone.

Massive poly pileup?

Well, yes, it's pretty clear that these kids, with their particular love direction combined with their very strong feelings of friendship for the person they aren't aimed at, could make a three-way relationship work unusually well.
But it's still true that I cant see any way this is, in the manga as it has any chance whatsoever of being written, ending up happily for everyone. The poly solution just ain't gonna happen.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Takoyaki t-shirt anyone? You don't show that t-shirt twice if you're not going to use it at some point.

I bet it's Tsukasa.

Washio x Tsukasa seems the most likely if the author intends to make at least one couple. The yaoi couple comes next.

Washio studied and is aware that people say that it's usually "just a phase", but she isn't buying it.

She's clearly attracted to females. And she has a very good relationship with Tsukasa : it's regularly hinted that she's not completely indifferent to Tsukasa, even if for now she's blinded by Kotooka.

Kotooka is the most likely loser and she will probably move on/move away near the end of the story, after a heartfelt confession to Tsukasa.

My chips are on it.

I'd tend to agree. Tsukasa is also the likeliest to end up with someone just because she is, over all, the closest to a "main" character and also the beneficiary of the almost infallible "first girl wins" phenomenon. This may be a less deep analysis than some of the ones I've seen here, but these points are very reliable.
(She's the closest to a main character because her character was explored first, perhaps most over all, and because she is the nexus between the main plot and the major subplot; also because she has the most heroine-ish personality)

Purple Library Guy
108 Loves discussion 03 Jan 14:38
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

They might have had a heck of a lot of something, you say? Probably something lewd like handholding.

yes I had to make that joke

Wimp. Aim higher--it could even have been head-patting.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Ahh exhibitionism...Don't tempt me !

"Not at school" oooh so they will at home? Maybe they're not as innocent as we thought !

Yeah, that bit brought me up short. All in all the subtext there is rapidly becoming text.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Frankly, these kids are closer to the Amanchu version: "Fun for all, and all for fun!"

last edited at Jan 1, 2017 6:23PM

Purple Library Guy
Heart Gifts discussion 31 Dec 17:05
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Not too fond of the explanation of "we let her die because of her father's religion", but the story was nice. And yeah, totally look forward to the father flipping out even more when he learn his daughter is lesbian. Would make for a fun extra chapter. XD

It happens, the jeovah witnesses refuse blood transfusions even if their relative is dying and sue the hospitals that do it anyway.

It really does. That was actually about the most plausible part of the manga (which I found quite fun despite/because of its silliness).
Only thing I didn't like--when she grabbed that pen, was I the only one wishing she'd stabbed the dad instead?

Purple Library Guy
Heart Gifts discussion 31 Dec 17:02
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You know, for all of how quick everything was resolved, I love how over the top all the acting is, It's melodrama and then some, the characters have such extreme highs and lows it's absolutely glorious! A kiss would have been great, but I'm cool with it all the same.

Well, they're going to "catch up on all the play time they missed" . . . Doujin time?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hum... I really hope I am wrong, and I don't want to spoil the mood, but are you sure that's a "good yuri ending"?
After their finale chat, Fiona returns to her home alone:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#66
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#67
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#68
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#69
So why is she alone while Amy has already her luggage with her since she arranged to live with Maria?
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#41
The only explanation would be Amy went to explain the situation to Maria, but why did they not went together? And how Amy find Fiona's house later?

"I will continue facing forward."
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#69
... And only then Amy comes with an halo of light:
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/silver_gymnasium_ch03_1#71
... Which makes me think that's just the same dream who enabled Fiona to live until now, and this won't change until the end of her life.

Again I really hope I am wrong somewhere, but I interpret that end as a very sad one (anyway, note English is not my first language).

Ugh. That's actually plausible, particularly given the title of the chapter-- Dreaming of happiness. Damn you for astutely pointing it out.
But I am not a subtle person by nature. I'm going to choose to believe that there was a small time-skip done to maintain tension, and what we see at the end is simply what it appears to be: The two of them now co-habiting and in love, with the set-up having been skipped to keep us on tenterhooks.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

See? This is what happens when yuri doesn't happen. It's a cold, bleak, yuri-less world.

Do the right thing.

This.

Purple Library Guy
Moondrops discussion 30 Dec 02:34
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Korea must be the hand-holdenest country in the world

From my trip there, and some of the stuff I read up on before and after it, pretty much yes. Using the Dynasty lewdness metre, they are pretty extreme. Both women holding hands with each other and men holding hands with each other all over the place. Scary really!

Then again, they are also of the opinion that homosexuality exists in other countries, but not in theirs of course. :p The irony is that it results in stuff like this being seen as perfectly normal and clearly no-homo. Yup. Sure...

I was all set to watch that and mount a spirited, tongue-in-cheek defence of the platonic friendship nature of whatever it was and rant about the kind of people who devalue close friendship by e.g. claiming Frodo and Sam are gay and so on . . . then I watched it.

I got nothin'.

Aside from everything else, they literally painted themselves rainbow. Real subtle, girls.

It's a fun story, but for me the story itself is the least of it . . . the important part is the possibility that Taamo, of "Taiyou no Ie" fame, might turn to the yuri side. That would be so awesome because her shoujo stuff rocks so hard.

last edited at Dec 30, 2016 2:35AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

It's kinda sad that the closest to romance we get are the last two pages in chapter 23.

Still a really cute and heartwarming manga.

I'd say the last page of ch 27 has a nice romantic bit.
"Even if it's worn out, or even split in two . . . It's something I got from you. So don't throw it away! got it?"
Awww. I think that's about as romantic as Churio was going to get. It'll do for an end.
Still kind of sad there won't be any more. I got oddly attached to this little gag manga.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

But that poor resurrection priest.

Purple Library Guy
Heart Gifts discussion 27 Dec 03:32
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Damn the cliffhangers!!!!!

Curses!!!

Technically this one is a "stairhanger".

Purple Library Guy
Heart Gifts discussion 27 Dec 03:31
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I hope future chapters explain why Shiro couldn't be the one with the artificial heart. It seems like the obvious choice a doctor would make in that situation.

im guessin bc the other chick does sports n shit n so a roboheart aint really good to have in that scenario?

Actually, doesn't Kuro (the black-haired girl) do sports, while Shiro (the fair-haired one) do the science stuff? The POV of the narration in his manga is slightly confusing. Shiro says she enjoys being able to do sports, but is then invited to the stage as an honor for a science report she had submitted.

I think black hair girl does science-- white hair girl does sports, she jus had some random report for stage of honor

I don't think it's that white-haired girl does sports, like, as a main thing in her life. I think she just means it's nice she can now do sports at all, unlike when she had a bum heart.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I liked it, but what kept getting me was the teapot-girl's name, which created lines like
"I'm kissing putty" -- um, sure, whatever floats your boat.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Would have been better with about 3-4 more pages. One or two more of sex so they can get in a bit of fooling around before going straight to the scissors, one or two more of general stuff to alleviate the crammed feeling.
The box-cutters, I can see where she's coming from--specifically, she's coming from being a nitwit with low self-esteem. Nothing unrealistic about that.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The orphanage might close down? Looks like they need help from Jon Belushi and Dan Akroyd.

"It's 106 miles to Tokyo. We've got a laptop full of VNs, half a gig of doujins, it's dark, and we're wearing yuri goggles."

"Hit it."

That was awesome.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This is fun but I find it weird the way the romance aspect sometimes gets picked up and run with, hard, and then most of the time seems to disappear into the ether like it was never there at all. So like ch. 16 we have a passionate, even explicit (if weird) confession, and then ch. 17 we have nude bathing together with no hint of discomfort and the subject has apparently been completely forgotten on both sides. Wha?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I wonder what happened if hero makes it to the demon king castle

She dragoons him into service fetching her fluffier bedding.
This is so deuced funny.

last edited at Dec 20, 2016 10:41PM