Part 4 got hard translated
https://mangadex.org/chapter/715154

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

her name is Shizuku, not Suzuku.

not sure what happened there

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Eh, relationships aren't that simple. Not that this is canon, but I could see Tomoko feeling like "Mokocchi" is a name only Yuu should use. Yuu is still... PROBABLY her best and dearest friend, and so she gets some privileges. She's known Tomoko the longest and so on.

Of course she contacted Yuu rather than Asuka. It may be the case that Tomoko called Yuu first, also, rather than being messaged as Asuka messaged her. Asuka is definitely jealous, but she doesn't actually know who Yuu is to Tomoko (/slash doesn't remember seeing her picture).

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Part 5 is up on Pixiv!

That's only part of it, for the record.

Swifft
Oddman 11 discussion 21 Apr 18:27
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I'm not even surprised.

Swifft
Oddman 11 discussion 28 Jan 09:51
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

What's the problem with Chouko being one dimensional and unlikable?

She's unlikable. It wouldn't make sense if she was actually justified in any of her thoughts, ways, or habits. Her trait is that nobody can like her. Personally I find her funny, but this is a character whose tragic backstory is "I have always desperately wanted to fuck girls, and it got so bad I imagined a girl I could fuck and commit depraved sexual acts upon". She's whiny, she goes on weird nerdy rants, and she's too obsessed with sex. She might be considered funny, but overall she's not necessarily designed to be someone people will like.

Also, spoilers for the next chapter Chouko is the reason the harem stays operational despite Setsu throwing a wrench into the works. She picks the "chaos route" and doesn't care who does or doesn't mess around with her girlfriend, much to the elation of Kinu and Kirara.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Repeating myself: Meh.

This series has lost a lot of steam. I'm not interested in how this turns out at all. Also the inane Kuro/Miyabi relationship takes up more of this chapter than needed, just like it's been throughout the manga.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I reviewed this and wrote a big ol' thing analyzing/praising it as well (full of spoilers of course)
review: https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/shakunetsu-no-takkyuu-musume/
analysis: https://terrenceswiff.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/shakunetsu-no-takkyuu-musume-addendum/

And hey, it looks like the series is dying. Again. For fuckin',,,

It sounds as if Asano really wants to continue it. He said as much, but I have no idea really. It also sounds like he might take a break and WANT to return to it. I mean, that happened with Ib by Aka and then he made Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to. I want more really badly. This manga is kickass and it blows my mind utterly how it's written and crafted.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

That was somewhat interesting. I'm not really sure why she didn't say it was Nogami and that she was rescuing the nurse, but whatever.

Is it a common opinion that Kuroe's subplot is deeply uninteresting, by the way? The entire relationship she has has always felt forced. I liked Kuroe initially, but the girl who likes her is incredibly boring and rather pushy and nothing about the way it's going is compelling at all. Actively sours my enjoyment of the series.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Or maybe different people have different tastes and this simply doesn't appeal to some readers?

I don't think this is the case with most people's negative opinions on it that I've seen. After all, if it was just different opinion and taste, you'd drop it. Don't get me wrong because I will and have read things I don't like even though I don't like them, but I don't read things that aren't to my taste. I read things that are BAD and then vent about how BAD they are. The negativity around this series seems to focus on "how it's bad" while actually being "I don't like that it's a gag manga". Which is a bit inane, honestly.

It would be like reading Oyasumi Punpun and then complaining about it being overly serious, or Saiki Kusuo no Sai-nan and complaining about how it has so many jokes. You're just complaining about what it's doing. If it's not to your taste the better thing isn't to say it's bad for that, but to say "well, this is clearly not for me". I dunno, does my reasoning make sense? I see so much more "it's horrible" and "there's no progress" than "It's a gag manga, I don't like those". The lattermost response would be fair, and even criticism toward this would be fair (here's some: too many repetitive jokes, though it has a decent amount of variety). I don't really see that for this series here. Kiiiiinda suspect it's due to the series being surprisingly popular (in Japan, at least) for a yuri manga.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I really wish this had ended better than it did. It's squandered potential. Not awful, but she should've stuck the landing.

last edited at Aug 5, 2018 2:39AM

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Seen a lot of negativity toward this series. Don't really get it. It's simple, dumb, fun, and it seems to regularly be criticized for doing exactly as advertised.

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 12 Jul 12:55
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

risingstar3110 posted:
I believe I have pretty good gaydar, and it now officially confirm that Rin is totally gay toward Nadeshiko. With 95% certainty

Not sure if it’s two-ways yet, and I can’t say the same toward any other pairings in this manga. But it takes more than just friendship for an individual like Rin (who I am so familiar with) to break off her old habit and her own character, and expose herself outside of her comfort zone several times through the series.

And the way that she was totally fascinated with Nadeshiko regardless of location, or the time of the day. And how she constantly made excuses to be in contact, and hang out with Nadeshiko, even go out of her ways several times, while very sceptical to do the same with anyone else. That is a strong sign

As an individual like Rin who got friends to not only get me out of the house but to fly to different countries for them despite a strong desire to stay at home as much as possible, and an even stronger dislike of flight/trips, yet I still enjoyed myself greatly, I'll just say that perhaps you should not be so certain. Hell, one of my personal goals is eventually getting enough money to go on some other trip with a friend of mine and again--total hermit over here, but for a good friend I am more than just willing, I am eager. Strong friendship, surprisingly enough, can be just that. I see sometimes people trying give "evidence" to the idea that Rin is romantically interested in her friend by saying since Rin doesn't invite Ena out she clearly prefers Nadeshiko or is obsessed with her or something... For a long while, Nadeshiko is the only other person she knows who is interested in the same hobby she's passionate about (and she happened to get in good with Rin/they hit it off, that's key). Ena eventually gets into it too, but to begin with she had no interest. Yet, still, Rin talks with Ena about as much as Nadeshiko or... actually, it's probably more. They hang out quite a lot, and if you want "thinking fondly of someone else" she's not making this face over Nadeshiko:

Anyway I also find it humorous that this was posted after chapter 14 came out, in which Rin is conflicted as to whether she wants to hang out with Nadeshiko... or hang out with no one, because she still loves doing that.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Both cases are obviously different. The posts you link to are about how MrCatt took liberties with the expressions and idioms, not with the grammar. I don't recall having been confused about what happened in that chapter. And MrCatt is a single person, not a team. Much can be forgiven, especially since it's a manga that had been dropped.

In this case, it was not only sounding awkward, the whole meaning of the sequence became ambiguous and it's a pretty important moment in the manga. I had trouble understanding why she spoke about Uta's love interested as if it was someone else she didn't know, just before saying it was her.

And by the way, it was not a criticism, but a demand for clarification and later an explanation of why I was confused.

I don't know why you pounce on me lately. Maybe I irritate you for some reason and I'm sorry.

For the record, I agree and found the translation confusing and wanted to have a look at the raw, because what she was saying didn't really make sense.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

A really rather "Well, okay" ending, but everything that needed to happen in this series did for the most part. If I had to critique anything, it would be that Misora had a load of initial development, then conflict, then a really nothing resolution. But, it's fine.

Fine ending, superb series.

Swifft
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

wut

What Japanese thing is this?

-Also, deciding to put the cliffhanger there just means to me that she won't confess. At least, that's typically the way things go.

last edited at Apr 22, 2018 7:43PM

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 29 Mar 12:52
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

boring canon.

Whoa. Insulting.

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 29 Mar 07:20
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

If it's "crack" the idea is "this doesn't actually make any sense, are you on crack?" right? I'm not referring to.. I dunno, something like pairing the loser of a harem with the MC (who canonically gets with the generic main female lead). I'm referring to pairing characters like Seija and Nue in Touhou, two characters who have never even spoken (one of whom hates basically everything, the other tries to stay hidden as much as possible).

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 28 Mar 08:01
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Well Blax most things aren't THAT good (I really love Yuru Camp, I think it's absolutely one of the best out there), so I can accept a lot in most cases. Most series and franchises do have room for people to ship (though "crack" shipping gets me in any series; I simply don't get why you'd pair characters who have never met, for instance) and I have nothing to get bothered over. Like, why would I read... hmm... O/A (<-- good shit!), which is also a series that isn't yuri but features a primarily female cast, and then get annoyed if someone paired the two main characters? In the case of that series there's actually a wee bit of subtext and, eh, you could see something gay happening. Always, my willingness to accept something is based on just how believable it would seem within the canon.

Like I've said with Yuru Camp, I love it so much for specific reasons that I think those reasons getting ignored is "troubling", to put it lightly. The more people who recognize that it did something different and should be praised for that, the better. The more people wanting to pull it into the same realm from which it escaped -- standards of the genre -- the worse. Because "different and well executed" is great. "Same and well executed" is also good, of course (I wouldn't read yuri and SoL so much otherwise) it's just not as notable.

Anyway to be honest I've never seen Nadeshiko's relationship with Rin to be much more significant than Rin's relationship with Ena. Even though Nadeshiko and Rin share a hobby, Rin and Ena have been friends for longer, actually do hang out more, chat a lot, and have a SUPERB rapport. There are moments Rin thinks of Ena fondly as well like she does with Ena. Of course, Ena's a sweetheart. But, I will stop my gushing here. POINT IS: I'm a curmudgeon who has put the series on a pedestal and that's that.

edit: o-one more thing though
I just wanna say that my interest in this manga for its portrayal of friendship actually goes beyond "it's different from what CGDCT series usually do". In fact, friendship just isn't something strongly explored often in manga (at least among what I've read, and I've definitely read a lot). O/A that I mentioned is another good one that really thoroughly examines a friendship. The idea of two people liking each other so much platonically without blood or romantic bonds is a testament to how incredible human relationships can be. Even in something like One Piece, "friendship" almost becomes a superficial throwaway to say "I think you're cool" or "we're friends so we fight for each other". Simplifying it sure, but I can't think of very many series where the friends have genuine rapport, you honestly get the impression that they enjoy being around one another, there's a strong sense of trust etc. I like when I find that so much I have a "friendship (no really)) tag for it on my manga review blog. Yuru Camp is one of those series where you can definitely tell these girls are friends (all of them!), without anything hinting at more. That's so nice to see... in my opinion at least. Friendship isn't as immediately engaging to people as romance or rivalry or something, and I get the feeling it's more difficult to write (boiling most often down to "this character is the best friend" or in the case of battle manga "FRIENDSHIP!!"). This is probably why I think it's rare to see.

last edited at Mar 28, 2018 8:18AM

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 27 Mar 11:38
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

That's an incredibly common motif of anything from friendship to romance to familial bonds.

In fact, the most famous use of the idea at least in modern day is probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iRdgGZ6Xc

Not that I want to start an argument. I'm admittedly frustrated mainly because it's like
-recognize that a series is subversive on near all levels
-gotta bring down one of its best levels (rare exploration of friendship) to the standards of the genre cause omg lilies <3

I guess although I'm way into yuri, I cannot be way into shipping. Either it's real or teased, or I ain't havin' it. Bah humbug

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I honestly think there aren't any more ("realistic") dream adaptations I can get.

I am content.

Swifft
Oddman 11 discussion 03 Mar 07:45
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Here's your Oddman 11 update, because translations? What translations! OTL

I suggest you hold on to your hats.

Fujou and Kirara plot to wage war against Kinu (Nuida, Kinu is her first name, I don't remember if this was revealed in the translations yet (it was, literally in the last translated chapter)) by getting a gun, and they even go through with shooting on her. Unsurprisingly, the Nudist is bulletproof, and things aren't looking good. But! Ika shows up and declares that Setsu is her fiancee. Oh no! However Kinu makes a note that the goal Ika has for wedding Setsu (getting her last name for Sea Cred) can be achieved by other means. She suggests that Setsu marry her instead, and Ika can be their adopted daughter. Bam, same surname. She agrees.

Of course Kirara's not cool with this, but eventually everyone settles on an agreement they all can be pleased with: everyone gets Setsu privileges and access for a specific day of the week. On one of Kinu's days during the culture festival Kinu continues to be the most forward of Setsu's harem by rubbing up on her thigh in a planetarium, getting turned on, and just GOING FOR IT. Of course, Setsu's like WHOA NOW, and Kirara's watching, so Kinu cannot get Setsu's sweet, sweet virginity. Not today. Anyway Setsu is told of the Setsu sharing system and is very angry about it, but quickly cools off. The most surprising thing that happens is that at the end of the latest chapter she finds Chouko being Chouko as usual and says "Chouko-senpai, would you like to go out with me? Please let me be your girlfriend." Chouko agrees.

There are other things that happen and it's all great (like Fujou kissing Kinu and making her barf, or Setsu defending Kinu's honor by kicking down the bullies who made her carry that heavy box and were making fun of her), but these are your major developments. You can find raws for the series by looking for Dowman on ehentai or exhentai or whichever. The chapters are in COMIC Megastore Alpha issues, and the comments usually have links directing you to where each artist is in the magazine.

Actually I had time so I just zipped them all up: http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/bZA5mvK0/file.html

last edited at Mar 3, 2018 8:53PM

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 17 Feb 13:20
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

Again, they're sisters. The translation was right, just under the assumption that she was a he. That's the joke.

"Spoilers": https://i.imgur.com/2f4KFnu.jpg

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 17 Feb 07:54
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

They're sisters.

Swifft
Yurucamp discussion 17 Feb 06:04
Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I am literally only saying that it's nice for something that's part of a genre defined by sameyness and tropes to do something different, and since it's rare to see explicitly non-flirtatious friendship in a genre dominated by not-that, I admire the series for it and think it's refreshing even though I'm a fan of yuri.

Don't be antagonistic. I can like several sorts of things. Hell, while this is a "yuri site" it's not even like all the series here are yuri. Basically, I like that the series swerved my expectations for it and did so in a way that was nice. It's the same reason I also enjoy Harumin and Yuzu's relationship in Citrus. It's a completely platonic friendship that foregoes teasing between the main character and her best friend. Hell it's eventually even pointed out explicitly with a character's introduction who sees their friendship as something romantic rather than purely "I like you a lot, but don't want to lick you or kiss you, I just really enjoy being around you". This sounds familiar.

edit: OH YEAH

It's nice having a series about girls that doesn't suggest they want romance or sex from one another, just friendship.

This sentence sounded like you thought that suggesting that female characters "want romance or sex from one another" was the norm in any kind of "series". You didn't specify with anything. Just "a series". So it sounded absurdly out of touch. But now I understand that you didn't mean that because you specified after I confronted you.

a series about girls
about girls
You didn't specify with anything. Just "a series"

uhh

last edited at Feb 17, 2018 6:08AM