Forum › In the Rain Shelter With a White Cat discussion

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I got confused with all that talk about being unneeded, that page when she says "You get what I'm saying?" my reaction was Nope! and then she continues but I still don't get it, and then Touko cries and I'm like "..." maybe this is my limit when it comes to english.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cyclop

And err... that was something I guess. All philosophical and shit...

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 3:35PM

AbyssalScepter
Kaga
joined Apr 23, 2016

I got confused with all that talk about being unneeded, that page when she says "You get what I'm saying?" my reaction was Nope! and then she continues but I still don't get it, and then Touko cries and I'm like "..." maybe this is my limit when it comes to english.

My interpretation of it is just, you exist, so you're not really "unneeded." So ye, philosophical stuff, where the fact you exist matters, so it doesn't matter if it seems like people "don't need you." You're there, and that's that, that's you and the world "needing" you.

She cries because she's happy for once someone thinks of her more than just... nothing. The pages before you see everyone's talking about how, "Woah, yeah, your name fits right in, it's like you're not even there!" Then comes along "Blanche" that treats her like a real person.

__remilia_scarlet_touhou_drawn_by_kameyan__79633e04034b3c99d7cf88e4370ce72e
joined Apr 28, 2014

Basically, don't rely on others to determine your worth. Instead, live to your own specifications. It's a simple concept, though hard to put into words.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Basically, don't rely on others to determine your worth. Instead, live to your own specifications. It's a simple concept, though hard to put into words.

That was obvious. But except that it was in a yuri magazine, I don't see where the yuri is.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Nice work. I saw a subtle cue in a "you needed right now and here" an explanation. Also "coz I was looking at you" wasnt there all so simply right? There MUST be continuation for this guys! I'm waiting for it ;) Thanks for the work

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

That's a cool message i guess, but doesn't justify making an entire oneshot about it with little to no background for the characters
But most of all, i'm really pissed that her name isn't Blanche

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Lmao, they nicknamed her Blanche? Lol why? Does it sound better than Shiro? You'd think they'd call her shiro

Sun%20jin%20for%20dynasty%20scans
joined Aug 31, 2013

Lmao, they nicknamed her Blanche? Lol why? Does it sound better than Shiro? You'd think they'd call her shiro

Probably because of her white hair. "Blanche" being french for white

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

that was some serial experiments lain shit

I'm having an existential crisis!!

joined Feb 6, 2016

Amm philosophycal as fuck?? tag

joined Sep 21, 2014

Probably because of her white hair. "Blanche" being french for white

Lol I know it means white

Does it sound better than Shiro?

which is why I was wondering why would her classmates go for french rather than japanese, you'd think that shiro would be their first thought
Like yeah Blanche sounds... alright I guess, but I'm surprised that her classmates would go that far

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 7:55PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

you'd think that shiro would be their first thought

She never had a chance

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Cyclop

You beat me to it, Nya! Hahaha

joined Sep 21, 2014

She never had a chance

?
Not sure what you mean by "a chance" but hmm yeah okay, good reminder, french references as a recurring theme for the author is likely

last edited at Jun 2, 2016 10:07PM

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

white hair <3

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

People get too caught up in how others see them. For some, it becomes so important that they let others decide who they are. If you can only find self-worth in validation from others and they see you as "unneeded" then they are never going to care enough to change their opinion of you, no matter how much you try to persuade them. If you let others determine who you are, then you will end up as nothing more than "unneeded."

Instead, validate yourself. The fact that you are here means that there is some possible way to be needed. Be who you want to be and only concern yourself with the opinions of those who see you for who you are. The only voices that should concern you should be of those that see you as "Touko," not the people that look at you and see an "unneeded child."

Following the theme of this story, I'm not really going to care what others thought of it. I thought it was a lovely, short piece of fiction with a nice message. Not every story needs a complex plot or backstory. This one goes to my favorites.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

She never had a chance

?
Not sure what you mean by "a chance" but hmm yeah okay, good reminder, french references as a recurring theme for the author is likely

Not sure why, but I got the feeling that this was a story didn't take place in Japan. Like, Blanch was the local and Touko was the transfer student. That would make the name make more sense, too.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Thanks for the clarifications!!

joined Sep 21, 2014

Following the theme of this story, I'm not really going to care what others thought of it. I thought it was a lovely, short piece of fiction with a nice message. Not every story needs a complex plot or backstory. This one goes to my favorites.

Lovely ❤

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Lol philosophy

I didn't see the subtext though, was just two girls chatting about existing

joined Jan 8, 2014

Umm, more yuri needs to be in this yuri.. o.O did it get the tag just cause "its a pretty name...blush" ? Cuz I didnt even get subtext here....unless the next release is of how "Blanche" had been observing/stalking her and the rain was a good excuse/timing to finally talk to her....but I didnt see a point where "Blanche" was blushing or anything...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It was tagged yuri because it was published in Yuri-Hime. I guess we are supposed to infer that romance will ensue.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

There's a TL Note that explains some of what's confusing. And in-story the main girl talks about the word-play of her name. Wordplay in other languages is confusing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.