Forum › Yuru Yuri discussion

Divalshfgd_400x400
joined Jan 18, 2017

I think chapter 130 here is really lost in translation. The humor is strictly Japanese. It really doesn't flow well for a western audience.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

katewarner posted:

Did Toshino Kyoko pop into Ayano's mouth the candy that had partially been in Kyoko's mouth?

yeah I think we need the nsfw tag

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiveeeeeee!! IT'S ALIVE!
Team Takenoko here, mods, feel free to ban the kinoko peasants if they dare to show around here please.

Ah but seriously, the Akarin x Chinatsu is growing stronger... And the Kyoko x Ayano is always strong, all is good in the world! thank you.

It's honestly my favorite ship in the cast. I still can't imagine this series ever actually ending or resolving a romance, though

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I choose to believe that the kinoko/takenoko preferences are a metaphor for top/bottom inclinations. With Akari and Chitose being switches.

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Damn Yui takes this shit pretty seriously. Also Ayano is so cute.

joined Apr 28, 2016

I choose to believe that the kinoko/takenoko preferences are a metaphor for top/bottom inclinations. With Akari and Chitose being switches.

The problem with that theory is that Kyouko and Ayano are both on team takenoko, and there's no way that they're the same preference.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

The problem with that theory is that Kyouko and Ayano are both on team takenoko, and there's no way that they're the same preference.

That's a good point. I could see Kyouko as either, but Ayano is such a bottom that there's really no getting around it.

Ltjidvbbiqp71
joined Jul 22, 2018

I was just thinking how nice it is that Chizuru, who at least thought she never had friends, ended up with a couple of friends who are total fangirls for her.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Team Takenoko here, mods, feel free to ban the kinoko peasants if they dare to show around here please.

Ah but seriously, the Akarin x Chinatsu is growing stronger...

There was a poll, a year or so ago, to find the favorite ships of the readers. The winner was Himawari/Sakurako, which annoyed me because imho Himawari deserves better... but the runner-up was Chinatsu/Akari, which made me very happy!

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

^ Win some, lose some, right?

Actually this page should have killed any chance of Yui x Chinatsu for good, seeing as Yui has such strong feelings on the subject. (That "Are we going to have a problem here?" line was scaaary, I totally thought she was going to pummel Kyouko for her blasphemy!)

But knowing the way this story works, next chapter everything will be retconned and the statu quo will be restored. ¯⧹_(ツ)_⧸¯

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nene posted:

Ah but seriously, the Akarin x Chinatsu is growing stronger...

There was a poll, a year or so ago, to find the favorite ships of the readers. The winner was Himawari/Sakurako, which annoyed me because imho Himawari deserves better... but the runner-up was Chinatsu/Akari, which made me very happy!

It's genetic, just like her sister is attracted to Akari's sister XP IS HOW IT's MEANT TO BEEEEEEEE hahahaha

And yeah Chizuru is gonna be daijoubu

Arqxpgpd_700w_0
joined Apr 2, 2018

We come to another chapter of "Yuru Yuri" (finally! xD). And in today's story, girls argue about a very common theme: "Takenoko or Kinoko?". Depending on which one is the best, it generates more controversy than football rivalry. That kind of talk like: "my team is better than yours!", "no, my team is the best!" and vice versa. This is fact.

One detail caught my eye. Although the title of this chapter is called "A Precious Facet of Funami Yui", it does not match the above content, but it literally brought about how Yui remained intimidating, cool and straight in the front pages of the discussion chapter "Takenoko versus Kinoko". Notice your facial expressions in the second and last frame. Her face becomes cold and lifeless (rarely, she has done this in a few previous chapters, such as in "DEAD FISH EYES" - volume 14 of the manga) and she monotonously talks to Kyoko disagreeing with her preference for Takenoko; Kyoko denies it and asks if Yui ever felt that way every time about it and, to our shock, she replies: "...Are we going to have a problem, here?" in a threatening tone, as if Kyoko's phrase meant nothing. Seven pages later, when Chinatsu declared to herself that she is a "Takenoko person" to her senpai, she returns with the same distant expression as before and still smiles, leaving the poor girl disturbed! Until Chinatsu decided to change his attitude and said that she tried Kinoko for the first time with Akari-chan and found it very good, then Yui spoke normally as if nothing had happened (although her change of expression is very dark in our view, especially in a non-color manga).

The chapter usually ends with a character's final joke followed by a retort response from Yui, Ayano or the others; but this time it is Yui herself who oversteps the boundaries of reason by protesting Kyoko's comment about "team Takenoko" being the strongest that Kinoko, after she and Akari lost to Kyoko and Chinatsu in the "Takenoko Nyokki" game. Precisely because she is a "Kinoko person", being in a place where everyone likes the same thing makes her lose control of herself, saying that it had nothing to do with it. But in fact, she was trying to get rid of the discussion so that she wouldn't split up between them. For her, whatever they likes or wants to do, even when she opposes her friends' conversations and jokes.

Now, let's go back to the title of this story. Analyzing the comics page by page and uncovering some points highlighted here, we get the questions: Why did Yui act slightly strange until the end of this chapter? Why the hatred for the famous Takenoko? For what reason? Was it a childhood trauma? Or was it a secret kept under lock and key? The more questions are left unanswered, the more confusing readers will be...

Funny highlights of this chapter: the duo Sakurako x Himawari seriously taking the discussion about Takenoko and Kinoko (usually as they always fight), Sakurako giving a
"simple" explanation of how she eats her Kinoko (to utter's tremendous shock)
, Chitose very excitedly watching Kyoko put a Takenoko in Ayano's mouth and later talking to her that she prefers Takenoko more than Kinoko after noticing recently "of that", Sakurako angry after the fight with Himawari (still even naming her in thought of "big Takenoko titty-monster") and her reaction to Akari's only confused response to not being a person who like Takenoko, Kyoko surprising Akari with the "Takenoko Nyokki" dance, Teacher Minamino explaining that she leaves her "naked" Kinoko just eating the tip of the chocolate contained in it and Chinatsu trying to get around the situation - not even knowing how - by talking that she experienced kinoko for first time with Akari and enjoyed it very much after noticing a demotivated and lifeless Yui (with a smile on her face) reacting to her earlier speech in deciding to be a "takenoko person".

last edited at Jan 17, 2020 2:21PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Any reason why the chaptwrs between 42 and 52 are missing?

joined Jun 11, 2018

^ likely untranslated yet due to being covered by the anime earlier and other chapters being prioritezed. look at the release dates. they go after new material first than go back when they can.

joined Jun 11, 2018

it would have been funny btw, if someone slapped both of these cakes together to combine them into Takenokinoko (c) and ended this war.
thats what i would have done lmao

last edited at Jan 22, 2020 12:10PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

So I read Volume 1 a while back and went "why is this comedy anime with very light subtext tagged as Yuri and not Subtext?" to myself and then stopped reading it.

My question is: is this really mistagged or does real Yuri (romantic and/or sexual relationships between women) actually occur in this at some point in a future volume's main story (specials and extras don't count)?

joined Aug 10, 2016

So I read Volume 1 a while back and went "why is this comedy anime with very light subtext tagged as Yuri and not Subtext?" to myself and then stopped reading it.

My question is: is this really mistagged or does real Yuri (romantic and/or sexual relationships between women) actually occur in this at some point in a future volume's main story (specials and extras don't count)?

I mean Ayano being in love with Kyouko and Chinatsu's open horniness for other women aren't subtext.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

There's plenty of romantic love going 'round.

Sexual stuff, not so much... although Chinatsu once described in all explicitness the H things she wanted to do to Yui... but most of the words in her lecture were censored, so we never found out the exact details.

joined Jan 3, 2020

There's plenty of romantic love going 'round.

Sexual stuff, not so much... although Chinatsu once described in all explicitness the H things she wanted to do to Yui... but most of the words in her lecture were censored, so we never found out the exact details.

Hmm, okay. Sounds good enough for me to give it another try then.

(Also minor self-correction: I meant manga, not anime, in my last post.)

Ltjidvbbiqp71
joined Jul 22, 2018

Seems to me that looking at the amount of yuri action in Yuru yuri misses the point. As the title indicates, the series is about a situation in which yuri is emerging easily, naturally, organically. There's no rush. Ayano, Kyouko, Chinatsu, are growing into what they are in an edgy but fundamentally tender world they help create. It's not a matter of how much obviously lesbian behavior is happening; it's the fact that it is happening, and happening in a recognizable human way.

Ayano's love for Kyouko, for instance. Ayano's struggle against her own tsundere tendencies, her evolution into someone who can show and accept love, is matched on the other end by Kyouko. I completely disagree with those who see Kyouko as clueless about Ayano's feelings. Through the series, you can see Kyouko playing with Ayano, probing what's happening with her especially in terms of Chitose's obsession and things like Ayano's stated desire to come closer to someone, meeting Ayano in the middle when possible, moving in a dance with her. Kyouko is like someone trying to coax a shy and frightened animal into the open. You don't rush at it; you let it come to you.

This is an example of the series' philosophy about yuri. There's no rush. There's plenty of time. Sexual behavior and openness changes and crystallizes in its own moment. That's why the series is so incredibly sweet.

last edited at Feb 6, 2020 6:42PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I dont see that at all.. Kyouko seems supremely and blissfully ignorant of almost everything- especially Ayano's feelings for her. She is too focused on herself at this point in her life. I do love the pairing- And think they will eventually get together mind you- but i've seen zero indication Toshino-san knows Ayano has feelings for her as of yet.

last edited at Feb 10, 2020 10:15AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Kyouko seems supremely and blissfully ignorant of almost everything- especially Ayano's feelings for her. She is too focused on herself at this point in her life. I do love the pairing- And think they will eventually get together mind you- but i've seen zero indication Toshino-san knows Ayano has feelings for her as of yet.

Kyouko is one of those characters whose (extraordinarily creative) behavior is made of one gratuitous act after another -- kind of like Miu in Ichigo Mashimaro, heh. It's not easy to ascertain what she really feels or wants. From a fan's viewpoint, her main ships are Yui and Ayano... and, judging by polls, Kyouko/Ayano is way more popular. So, yeah... we'll see.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well there's hints that makes you think that Kyouko understands that Ayano is shy or being tsun around her so she tries to lead the way for Ayano to open up or do what she really wants, almost as she could read what she thinks, but yeah she might be ignorant of how profound Ayano's afection really is

joined May 25, 2016

^I dont see that at all.. Kyouko seems supremely and blissfully ignorant of almost everything- especially Ayano's feelings for her. She is too focused on herself at this point in her life. I do love the pairing- And think they will eventually get together mind you- but i've seen zero indication Toshino-san knows Ayano has feelings for her as of yet.

The way I see it is that Kyouko is acutely aware of everything happening around her, even more so than others, but just chose to feign ignorance by hiding behind her playful demeanor - maybe even to keep up such appearance of such character. She knows very well Chitose's fantasies, and even then, still acts suggestively toward Ayano (taking a bath with her, or crawling into her futon, etc.). She probably just couldn't let go of Yui.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^But if there is zero evidence- and there isnt- then that is just wishful thinking.

Everything points to her being exactly as she seems. Straightforward, mostly selfish and self centered, and clueless about anything subtle. I think she is too childish to be thinking anything much about romance atm. And since she is forever stuck at 14, I'm not sure she ever will except in fan stories.

I think Ayano would have a much better chance once they are in high school. (Which wont ever happen in the manga as far as I can tell.)

last edited at Feb 10, 2020 12:30PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.