Forum › Junk/Jewel discussion

0d9c1f8da5c68f44be466e7fdf34f353
joined Jan 13, 2015

Ahh nearly every Day a new Takemiya Jin Release this truly is heaven.

Great
joined Dec 16, 2013

Only one page of angst from Takemiya Jin?! A new record!!
(Edit: For clarification, I ain't complainin'! I love Takemiya Jin and her works.)

Also I can vouch that glasses do, in fact, get in the way an awful lot.

last edited at Dec 15, 2015 2:40PM

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Every single one of these was way too short and it just makes me want more.. but I guess it's okay because there were a bunch of them.. but still don't be such a tease Takemiya

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

The cover pages were nice

joined Jun 12, 2015

This was so sweet. Even that one unwanted page done nothing to me.

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

I know the pain of the glasses too well. Oy. Need contacts.

joined Mar 25, 2013

This was interesting. At least four days without Jin though. Is Junk-Lab another similar manga?

3z8eb8cxabml0ib3limx
Divulge Scans
joined Dec 29, 2010

This was interesting. At least four days without Jin though. Is Junk-Lab another similar manga?

Sorry to disappoint, but Junk-lab is Takemiya's circle name for when she does doujinshi. She hasn't really done another collection of shorts like this.

last edited at Dec 15, 2015 5:08AM

joined Jan 31, 2013

Sorry to disappoint, but Junk-lab is Takemiya's circle name for when she does doujinshi. She hasn't really done another collection of shorts like this.

All the more reason for cherishing this gem!

joined Aug 10, 2015

;0
takemiya, is it really you??? No drama, no angst..? ARIGATOU SENPAI!

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It's comments like these that make me wonder if people actually read her stuff.

This too.

last edited at Dec 15, 2015 9:19AM

Cate
joined May 15, 2015

Agree 100% Nezchan. I've seen people label Amano Shuninta the same way and I'm like wut. Make one drama manga and you're forever labeled. The nerve of some people.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

This too.

Like phatboisteez hinted at, one drama-filled manga = 100% of her work somehow, lol.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

OHHHH JIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!111111 THATS MY GIRL!!!
That was aaaaall tooo sweeeet OMG I"M ROLLING IN MY BED like crazy coz it was just sososososo CUUUUUUUUTE :3
God please bless this bright woman and her works and all the people who create such sweet things and help to deliever it to our hearts! T_T
...I do so greatly love my life T~T.
BE HAPPY EVERYONE AND CREATE MOAR HAPPINESS

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

This too.

Like phatboisteez hinted at, one drama-filled manga = 100% of her work somehow, lol.

It's so weird too, I'm re-reading all her stuff (except Fragments of Love, I want to wait until it's all translated to read all at once) and the great majority is fun stuff with good ends. FoL had a disappointing ending, but it wasn't a bad story. The Irrational Us one-shot, the one about the couple breaking up when one moves away and Tragic Love Story are all downers, but that's pretty much the lot. Game has a good end, KiLa KiLa has a good end, My Beloved has a good end in an unexpected way, Chouchou Nannan has a good end, and so forth. Yeah, sometimes the couples have to work for their happiness, but they still end up happy in the great majority of her work.

Junk/Jewel is no exception. It actually fits in really well with some of the stuff in Seasons, I think.

last edited at Dec 15, 2015 11:19AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

It's so weird too, I'm re-reading all her stuff (except Fragments of Love, I want to wait until it's all translated to read all at once) and the great majority is fun stuff with good ends. FoL had a disappointing ending, but it wasn't a bad story. The Irrational Us one-shot, the one about the couple breaking up when one moves away and Tragic Love Story are all downers, but that's pretty much the lot. Game has a good end, KiLa KiLa has a good end, My Beloved has a good end in an unexpected way, Chouchou Nannan has a good end, and so forth. Yeah, sometimes the couples have to work for their happiness, but they still end up happy in the great majority of her work.

Junk/Jewel is no exception. It actually fits in really well with some of the stuff in Seasons, I think.

I'd personally say that other than the ones you mentioned the others are no more drama-filled than most yuri mangas. And a lot of the time even if there is any real drama it tends to be fairly short lived.

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

^Some of her oneshots in the anthologies have a few bad ends too, I think. Like there was this one with a pretty similar setup to the first Irrational Us. And there was the one where a character gave her best friend a tip to just go for it and the next oneshot/chapter focused on that character and revealed that she was totally into that friend and just didn't follow the advice she gave herself. (Both from Seasons, I think.) And the last third of Girlish Sweet is pretty angsty, if I remember correctly.

Most of her works definitely have good endings and are more or less fun and lighthearted, it's just that she sometimes reminds you that she can totally break your heart if she wants to. It's like one or two oneshots per anthology at most so they probably just stand out more.

And obviously Love Flicker is like, the definition of angst.

What I don't get is why people complain about the bad ends cause they're awesome. They're really hart hitting and some of the few I actually enjoy. And just for the record, Irrational Us wasn't a bad end, even when it was only a one shot. MC was awesome when she told that girl off.

last edited at Dec 15, 2015 11:41AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Irrational Us was a downer for sure, but it was well told and an approach I don't think I've seen in yuri. It's a great example of a dramatic story with an unhappy end still being good. It certainly doesn't deserve to be tossed in a big heap marked "DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMA" as if it's on the same level as "btw I'm engaged lol" or the usual Citrus shenanigans. Same goes for Tragic Love Movie.

Usually when there's a situation like OriginalGengar mentions, it's a side character who had an unspoken thing for the MC that gets like that, but even they have others to lean on (or have heartbreak sex with). Chouchou Nannan even has that, where the antagonist is given the seeds of a relationship in the postscript.

A lot of people were upset with My Beloved because the MC didn't get together with her first crush, even though she's shown to have a fulfilling relationship and a good sense of perspective on the whole thing later. in part I think because of this drama allergy a lot of people have, and that weird "Takemiya is all about aaaaaaaangst" idea.

joined Oct 8, 2015

Takemiya releases give me life =u=

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

A lot of people were upset with My Beloved because the MC didn't get together with her first crush, even though she's shown to have a fulfilling relationship and a good sense of perspective on the whole thing later. in part I think because of this drama allergy a lot of people have, and that weird "Takemiya is all about aaaaaaaangst" idea.

Well, people always complain about every yuri story or romance in general always being the same right up to the point where someone tries something different. Personally I really liked that, just for once, the first girl didn't win.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

I forget which one My Beloved was (haven't reread it in quite awhile) but there was a similar outcry with Fragments of Love when the main storyline ended despite everything ending reasonably conclusively and with everyone actually more or less satisfied.

Great
joined Dec 16, 2013

Most of her works definitely have good endings and are more or less fun and lighthearted, it's just that she sometimes reminds you that she can totally break your heart if she wants to.

I think this is the gist of it. She's very good at sharp little needles of angst. Not overwhelming, suffering angst, or prolonged angst, but just... little "reminders".

Also, just for clarification, I wasn't actually complaining about angst. I love to suffer, thank you very much.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

I forget which one My Beloved was (haven't reread it in quite awhile) but there was a similar outcry with Fragments of Love when the main storyline ended despite everything ending reasonably conclusively and with everyone actually more or less satisfied.

That was the one where the MC's love interest was all nuts about what amounts to Marimite, and wanted an Onee-sama. Which the MC's slutty big sister played for her, and ended up dumping her because it was silly. The MC breaks up with her as a friend over the idea that romantic feelings between girls weren't real. Time skip, and friend is still feeling bad about it in college, runs into MC who's now happy with a new girlfriend and thinks she overreacted back then, and she'd laugh it off now. Friend decides to move on, and there are strong hints that she's got a relationship waiting for her with her own friend. Good End.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nezchan posted:

That was the one where the MC's love interest was all nuts about what amounts to Marimite, and wanted an Onee-sama. Which the MC's slutty big sister played for her, and ended up dumping her because it was silly. The MC breaks up with her as a friend over the idea that romantic feelings between girls weren't real. Time skip, and friend is still feeling bad about it in college, runs into MC who's now happy with a new girlfriend and thinks she overreacted back then, and she'd laugh it off now. Friend decides to move on, and there are strong hints that she's got a relationship waiting for her with her own friend. Good End.

Right, that's the one. I was mixing it up with another. (The one where the one friend likes her best friend and her friend is aware of it but doesn't seem to properly appreciate it and despite showing some interest in another girl is still unhappy when other girl's friend starts showing interest in her friend which seems to be at least partly mutual.) And I agree with you. It was sad that their friendship ended up in shambles over that but as you said, in the end it still turned out to be a good end.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Nezchan posted:

Right, that's the one. I was mixing it up with another. (The one where the one friend likes her best friend and her friend is aware of it but doesn't seem to properly appreciate it and despite showing some interest in another girl is still unhappy when other girl's friend starts showing interest in her friend which seems to be at least partly mutual.) And I agree with you. It was sad that their friendship ended up in shambles over that but as you said, in the end it still turned out to be a good end.

I rather liked that it was something you rarely see in yuri, the idea that your first love isn't your destiny. You can move on, have other relationships that maybe are even better, life goes on even for lesbians.

The one you're describing sounds a lot like Chouchou Nannan, which I found a bit confusing when it was coming out chapter-by-chapter, but I re-read it yesterday and it's fantastic when you read it all at once.

To reply you must either login or sign up.