Forum › Mononoke Sharing discussion

Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I read the post on Cool's Pixiv page and I found out Youko has a Kansai accent. They never bother adapting those, do they.

(Incidentally, Momi uses a kind of barebones speech pattern that comes off as quiet and curt. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh would use it too.)

last edited at Nov 25, 2015 1:22PM

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

oh shit wtf
was she banging a ghost to cover up the talking

Screenshot_534
joined Jul 18, 2012

I read the post on Cool's Pixiv page and I found out Youko has a Kansai accent. They never bother adapting those, do they.

(Incidentally, Momi uses a kind of barebones speech pattern that comes off as quiet and curt. Sakaki from Azumanga Daioh would use it too.)

I think it's that it's hard to localize something like that without it sounding really unnatural. I've seen scanlations where they substitute a Southern American accent for Kansai-ben and while I appreciate the effort, it also makes reading it kind of feel off. It's a sort of no-win situation, really.

As for Momi's speech, that should be a little easier to translate, but I think they did a good job of preserving it anyhow.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

"Dammnit! She's about to come in and overhear that I'm looking for a present for her! What to do, wha to do... I know! I'm going to f***k this ghost in order to distract her."

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

HET?!?! IT'S YOU AGAIN?! WHY?

Acg1no
joined Jun 7, 2015

I think it's that it's hard to localize something like that without it sounding really unnatural. I've seen scanlations where they substitute a Southern American accent for Kansai-ben and while I appreciate the effort, it also makes reading it kind of feel off. It's a sort of no-win situation, really.

I think that can work if they don't use too many culture-specific idioms (stuff like "more X than taters in Idaho"), which are the uneducated person's idea of an accent. They did it that way on Danbooru with the "Hang In There, Kogasa-san" report manga to translate the Kansai accent of Mizuki's "Yamame" friend, and it worked pretty well IMO.

Also, Youko's sexual preference is best described as "all of creation". She does have a fondness of Yata though.

last edited at Dec 7, 2015 5:15AM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"Dammnit! She's about to come in and overhear that I'm looking for a present for her! What to do, wha to do... I know! I'm going to f***k this ghost in order to distract her."

Actually, foxes in Japanese folklore are masters of illusion (often in an attempt to get food), so she probably wasn't actually having sex with anyone. An idea that's underlined on the next panel, it was a ruse to keep Yata from listening in.

last edited at Dec 7, 2015 9:57AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Oooh, Snowgirl fell for the MC, uh ? Hope that'll get by more than just an unrequited crush.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

"monster manga without harem" award for this!

and i like this couple

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

FINALLY! Die in peace

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I figured from the start that the Yuki x Yata route was open. Nice to see it confirmed.

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

I don't think Youko has feelings for Yata. To me I think the author wants her to just be a slut for comedic purposes, every time she's with a guy it's treated as a joke. I think the gift was just an apology for being loud with the guys she brings home, but who knows maybe she's like the slut from oddman 11. I personally don't care for her or any of the others beside Yuki. Hope she gets more moments with Yata and that she remains the only one that likes her by the end

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

HET?!?! IT'S YOU AGAIN?! WHY?

Nah youko totally has it on for yata, she just sexes anything desperately trying to tide herself over til she's able to bed Yata. (At least this is how it is in my head-canon)

Just be careful, OK? The recoil on those things is brutal.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

One problem is that most accents are audible but don't really lead to significantly different spelling, so it's hard to convey them anyway.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

Don't get me wrong I'm all out for Yuku x Yata. But at that one very moment, I thought "a slight harem would be nice won't it?" In a comedic fashion i mean.

67baf6ae9865138df746371ac0aef8a8d392a976
joined Apr 24, 2015

The moment she was told her trash didn't have complaints made me ship Yuki x Yata. Yuki's just that cool. Yes, you can ban me now.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I wonder how Yata feels about Yuki
She does go out of her way to make Yuki feel accepted, that consideration and the denial of making the effort, a bit tsundere yes? :P

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Yuki GAMBATE!

joined Apr 25, 2013

Funny thing is that from what I can tell Youko was just tricking Yata to make her go away. Wasn't actually sexing up ghosts.
Not that she isn't clearly meant to be a slutty character, that one instance seems to have been a joke.

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

i'm looking forward for more yata x yuki onna yuri development...

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Don't get me wrong I'm all out for Yuku x Yata. But at that one very moment, I thought "a slight harem would be nice won't it?" In a comedic fashion i mean.

I'll bail if they do that. I finally read a yuri version of that. It's as bad as when it's a guy with a bunch of girls. I figured it would be. No offense to anyone who enjoys well . . . anything I don't.

This story is alright. Wasn't sure who the yuri was going to between. Was starting to wonder if it was going to be just something hinted at.

Cirno
joined Jun 25, 2015

Unlike Japanese, English accents are expressed by phonetics rather than morphology so it's not that easy to write out in text format without totally butchering a word. Plus I'm not American and haven't had much exposure so I have no idea how to write out a southern accent which is often used as a substitute for kansai. I think I can write Australian though because it's my neighbouring country, but I think that would be weird in itself XD

tl;dr- I leave the dialects because I can't adapt them

last edited at Dec 17, 2015 10:34PM

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

´_´ ... nice joke

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Oh my GOD the faces in this update

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I love Kuro already.

There really was so much to love about this chapter, from the reaction faces to Yuki being jealous to Yata getting embarrassed - all great stuff.

To reply you must either login or sign up.