Forum › Mama Mama discussion

joined Mar 23, 2013

As a lesbian myself...I find this quite disturbing...cause I have trouble understanding..why would they do this to themselves. Why be married and have sex for the sake of it...like really. I'm in shock. Maybe I dislike men so frikin much...that I sunk myself in my sweet happy ending of a manga. But seeing men most don't give a flying fuck wether their wife's kiss a girl. As long as their part of it...well guess this made up for it...I'm sorry I'm confused...and I'm really gay. Walks away.

It's pretty much the same reasons everywhere.
- Job security
- Money
- Child custody
- Don't want to cause family trouble ( this an extra one )

Another thing is that in a lot of cases the grandparents might live in the same household as the parents and their children. This is pretty common in Japan, so there's more than just your children and your spouse which will be affected by a divorce.

Also while divorce is on the rise in Japan ( because women are gaining points in being able to live for themselves ) it's still viewed as a personal failure to divorce. It's basically showing that you lack character, you're a flawed individual ( aren't we all =P ).

This is why you have a lot of "sexless" marriages in Japan, even after the death of their romantic relationship they'll still stay together, because in Japan romance is viewed as secondary. A proper stable family unit is more important, and your role as mother and father is also more important. Your work too ( for men usually ). It's okay if you work 6 days a week 12 hours a day for 40 years never having family vacations, you're our good corporate slave. It's fine if your wife doesn't love you or your children don't see you often, you're doing your civic duties as a good citizen of this fine nation!

And then Japan ask themselves why their births and marriage are at an all time low, lmao!

Finally, it's okay if you despise me, if it makes you feel better.

last edited at Aug 20, 2014 2:56PM

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

Could everyone please stop immediately freaking out over stuff like this?
Yes, the way it was presented was kind of shocking, but the actual backstory was intentionally left open. The husband thing could have been a joke for all we know. Or it could be one of the rather common scenarios where people only realize they're not straight after having married, de facto ending the romantic involvement with their spouse (and eventually find someone new) without getting a divorce for various reasons. Yes, could also be that they cheated, but we are not told. And, mind you, I think that was the entire point of the story: To make you think of these things. They definitely happen, heck, it could even be a criticism of the shitty discrimination that results in people finding it so hard to come out and not "accidentally" marry in the first place.

yeah, to me that line about the husbands was a little ambiguous, especially with that laugh at the end . It kind of made it seem like it was a common greeting/expression? Like in America when we say "What's up?" it's not like you're actually asking the person what they are actually doing, it's more like a greeting. Or like "say hi to blah blah for me." I don't think the person saying that actually expects the other person to say it. "send my regards to your husband" seems like a common enough line two mothers would give to be polite/conversational.

As to the backstory since it's so open, I thought maybe both husbands might be dead. Haha I don't know why, but that was my first reaction when I read that line... Does anyone know how Japanese society views widows and remarrying? Or even divorcees remarrying? At the very least the line "this sure is easy with the both of us" implies that for both mothers a lot of what they normally do is on their own (married or not). I think it's less sad that they may (or may not) be married, and more sad that whatever they are "normally" doing is not making them happy.

I understand the wish for happy yuri, I love that, too. But I think you can't have yuri without also now and then writing critical stories (critical about all the shit lesbians and the LGBT community in general) get. Please don't always assume the worst when something is not diabetic-level WAFF. :)

The ending wasn't happily ever after, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. And actually I could see this set up working with a heterosexual couple too (a boy and girl both in two separate unhappy relationships)... so it's kind of nice to see a short portraying a homosexual couple having the same problems that a heterosexual couple might.

Gotta say though, Amano Shuninta draws really cute kids, like the boy who had trouble buttoning up his shirt, and Ryuna from Guilty Love. I hope she(?) draws more couples with cute kids in the future. I kind of like the domestic feeling you get from her(?) works.

joined Aug 20, 2014

As a lesbian myself...I find this quite disturbing...cause I have trouble understanding..why would they do this to themselves. Why be married and have sex for the sake of it...like really. I'm in shock. Maybe I dislike men so frikin much...that I sunk myself in my sweet happy ending of a manga. But seeing men most don't give a flying fuck wether their wife's kiss a girl. As long as their part of it...well guess this made up for it...I'm sorry I'm confused...and I'm really gay. Walks away.

Some people find out only later in life that they prefer women to men. Then there are others for whom both genders are fine, and the actual choice of partner comes down to the individual. I'm guessing that's what happened with these two. I don't think it's that surprising that they're choosing to stay married, divorcing your husband to be with another woman in Japan is hard enough without the additional complication of having three children to raise. Not only is it likely to put the children through a lot of difficult times, it's also very likely that they'd both be refused custody of their kids.

Man, I was so hyped up to see a doujin that had a happy lesbian couple with a happy family, because that's pretty rare to find. But I guess it all sunk down the drain at the end. I just... sigh

Here you go: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sweet_guilty_love_bites_ch02
And it's by the same author. Funny, huh?

last edited at Aug 20, 2014 3:01PM

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

Some people find out only later in life that they prefer women to men. Then there are others for whom both genders are fine, and the actual choice of partner comes down to the individual. I'm guessing that's what happened with these two. I don't think it's that surprising that they're choosing to stay married, divorcing your husband to be with another woman in Japan is hard enough without the additional complication of having three children to raise. Not only is it likely to put the children through a lot of difficult times, it's also very likely that they'd both be refused custody of their kids.

Man, I was so hyped up to see a doujin that had a happy lesbian couple with a happy family, because that's pretty rare to find. But I guess it all sunk down the drain at the end. I just... sigh

Here you go: http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/sweet_guilty_love_bites_ch02
And it's by the same author. Funny, huh?

I wonder if that follow up short will ever get translated... one where they all go to a summer festival and wear yukata....

Toffee%20copy%202
joined Jan 2, 2014

you just had too go and make me sad book you just had god effing damnit

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I agree. I think Amano put in an afterword or foreword somewhere "if you're looking for fluffy 'onee-sama' yuri, look elsewhere." I wish more mangakas had that attitude. When I first got into yuri I really expected it to be more like this one-shot -- art can be enjoyable, but it can also be a vector for confronting difficult issues.

That would be horrible. Only drama filled yuri that is supposed to be "criticism"....that is why yuri does not sell. People do not want to read this kind of drama.

Addressing serious issues doesn't have to be angsty. I'd just like to read maybe 1 story about marriage equality or the difficulties LGBT people face in daily life for every 3 about schoolgirls holding hands.

Mangas very rarely want to be social commentary. Read newspaper for that ;)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Thinking about the issue of "where are the husbands", I wonder how true the common manga element of a husband who only stays with the wife occasionally because they work so far away that they take an apartment nearby. If that's the case, then I guess their absence would make sense even if it left a pretty big NTR element.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Mangas very rarely want to be social commentary. Read newspaper for that ;)

That's kind of a pity, since stories of all sorts make excellent social commentary.

K2
joined May 22, 2014

the author was touching on something that actually is happening in Japan, thei are many ppl who are gay but are marrying someone of the opposite sex in fear of family shame, taboo, arrange marriages, and other reasons. it make me sad see because these ppl are chosing live this very uhappy life and its also not fair to they are married too

last edited at Aug 20, 2014 5:07PM

Untitled
joined May 15, 2014

Yes, the way it was presented was kind of shocking, but the actual backstory was intentionally left open. The husband thing could have been a joke for all we know. Or it could be one of the rather common scenarios where people only realize they're not straight after having married, de facto ending the romantic involvement with their spouse (and eventually find someone new) without getting a divorce for various reasons. Yes, could also be that they cheated, but we are not told. And, mind you, I think that was the entire point of the story: To make you think of these things. They definitely happen, heck, it could even be a criticism of the shitty discrimination that results in people finding it so hard to come out and not "accidentally" marry in the first place.

yeah, to me that line about the husbands was a little ambiguous, especially with that laugh at the end . It kind of made it seem like it was a common greeting/expression? Like in America when we say "What's up?" it's not like you're actually asking the person what they are actually doing, it's more like a greeting. Or like "say hi to blah blah for me." I don't think the person saying that actually expects the other person to say it. "send my regards to your husband" seems like a common enough line two mothers would give to be polite/conversational.

As to the backstory since it's so open, I thought maybe both husbands might be dead. Haha I don't know why, but that was my first reaction when I read that line... Does anyone know how Japanese society views widows and remarrying? Or even divorcees remarrying? At the very least the line "this sure is easy with the both of us" implies that for both mothers a lot of what they normally do is on their own (married or not). I think it's less sad that they may (or may not) be married, and more sad that whatever they are "normally" doing is not making them happy.

I understand the wish for happy yuri, I love that, too. But I think you can't have yuri without also now and then writing critical stories (critical about all the shit lesbians and the LGBT community in general) get. Please don't always assume the worst when something is not diabetic-level WAFF. :)

The ending wasn't happily ever after, but that doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable. And actually I could see this set up working with a heterosexual couple too (a boy and girl both in two separate unhappy relationships)... so it's kind of nice to see a short portraying a homosexual couple having the same problems that a heterosexual couple might.

Gotta say though, Amano Shuninta draws really cute kids, like the boy who had trouble buttoning up his shirt, and Ryuna from Guilty Love. I hope she(?) draws more couples with cute kids in the future. I kind of like the domestic feeling you get from her(?) works.

i wish i could "like" the replies here or something

%e5%b0%8f%e8%88%94
joined May 22, 2013

i wish i could "like" the replies here or something

Why not try simply replying with a +1 or whatever?

Download
joined Aug 8, 2013

I believe TV Tropes would attribute the final pages of this manga underneath the trope "Cruel Twist Ending"

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

hate this author..

joined Jan 31, 2013

Amano Shuninta is a genius! Just look at how many comments this 15 pages one shot got for less than 24 hours.
One of my favorite authors, never disappoints!

joined Jun 14, 2013

Okay I get why the story went the way it went and how it's realistic of gays in Japan, but still that felt like such a slap in the face.

Motoko.edited.1
joined May 2, 2014

well that was interesting... but it wasn't as depressing as other things I have read

and no, not all yuri is cute and fluffy. and I agree with nezchan, social commentary is great in all forms... and this was social commentary. think about it, analyze it, and take the authors point to heart so that others don't have to put up with the crap that people have had to put up with previously.

if all you read is cute fluffy yuri, you are creating a microcosm of fantasy and blocking off the reality of the situation. manga (and other social commentary media like this) exist to evoke a response from the reader, and hopefully prompt them into action.

- Job security
- Money
- Child custody

the pressure on people to conform is enormous, so do you really think that the women in this manga had a choice? no. but amano wrote this to draw your attention to that social pressure, and I love her all the more for taking on the hardball issues. keep them coming ^_^

I
joined May 21, 2014

well this story is not for me, I read yuri just for entertainment not to being philosophical.

last edited at Aug 20, 2014 8:56PM

I
joined May 21, 2014

Amano Shuninta is a genius! Just look at how many comments this 15 pages one shot got for less than 24 hours.
One of my favorite authors, never disappoints!

hate comments maybe.

I
joined May 21, 2014

well that was interesting... but it wasn't as depressing as other things I have read

and no, not all yuri is cute and fluffy. and I agree with nezchan, social commentary is great in all forms... and this was social commentary. think about it, analyze it, and take the authors point to heart so that others don't have to put up with the crap that people have had to put up with previously.

if all you read is cute fluffy yuri, you are creating a microcosm of fantasy and blocking off the reality of the situation. manga (and other social commentary media like this) exist to evoke a response from the reader, and hopefully prompt them into action.

- Job security
- Money
- Child custody

the pressure on people to conform is enormous, so do you really think that the women in this manga had a choice? no. but amano wrote this to draw your attention to that social pressure, and I love her all the more for taking on the hardball issues. keep them coming ^_^

there is simpler fact: maybe you okay with male in yuri but some people just hate it no matter.

joined Jul 8, 2013

FUCK! FUCK! fUCK! FUCK THIS! I was here thinking how I was going to comment about how happy this had made me then they went and fucked it all with the husband thing! FUCK! Damn, that really pisses me off.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

...Am i the only one that didn't get negative vibes at all? Still looks like a happy manga even with the tornado

I
joined May 21, 2014

If author want to make realistic manga, realistic is not cheating bisexual, it's not rape innocent girl story, its not college student free sex life stories. how about make story about ordinary boring life with uninteresting character, that's realistic.

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

I didn't get any negative feelings when I read the end; I liked it. It was intense and made me want to know more about their exact situation. It's one of those oneshots that leave me seriously wanting more.

If author want to make realistic manga, realistic is not cheating bisexual, it's not rape innocent girl story, its not college student free sex life stories. how about make story about ordinary boring life with uninteresting character, that's realistic.

Who wants to read 100% realistic stories? Go grab a history book or biography or something for that.

joined Mar 23, 2013

You always have a choice, simply most individuals are not strong willed and this is why the culture of shame and the requirement to conform by society "works" incredibly well.

Who wants to read 100% realistic stories? Go grab a history book or biography or something for that.

Realistic characters and stories can be found in work of fiction. As far as I know, I won't find a realistic portrayal of zombie survival in history, probably because this never happened.

last edited at Aug 20, 2014 10:47PM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

the author sure seems to love negative stereotype and promoting it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.