Forum › Stretch discussion

joined Oct 29, 2014

well at least HL3 will have its coming out :^)

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

(I still think that is the thought that came to her, in light of her abortion).

I think you got your terms here mixed up. From what I understand it was a miscarriage which is why she got so depressed afterwards. She was happy to be pregnant.

joined Mar 25, 2013

(I still think that is the thought that came to her, in light of her abortion).

I think you got your terms here mixed up. From what I understand it was a miscarriage which is why she got so depressed afterwards. She was happy to be pregnant.

Right, right. I didn't think what I was writing xD Guess you shouldn't comment when you're barely awake huh?

Still we got the valentines chocolate that was the 'kind you give to your special someone' and then we get the noodles that she's taught to make for 'your precious someone'. If there was any doubt (ha) that Ran was gay over Keiko I think this settles it xD

joined Feb 15, 2013

Wow, didn't expect that frame in chapter 26 was already planned.

No wonder she looked slightly happy then making the soba.

Go Ran!! You have your father blessings!!

last edited at Jan 29, 2015 10:15AM

Sj2
joined Nov 23, 2014

This chapter got me confused and angry. At first I thought they had a fight and Ran moved out.
Phew!
Yuri would be an overstatement at this point. Maybe subtext?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

This chapter got me confused and angry.

I was actually really confused myself until someone mentioned it was actually an extension to an earlier chapter. It'd be nice if someone could make a chronological listing of the chapters since they jump back and forth at times.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

I have back problems and was looking forward for some stretchings
Better luck next time i guess

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

what a depressing chapter... a lot of heavy stuff... If I got it right, contact to Ran's father's lost after the quake. And that foreshadowing for Ran's alcoholism and something happening to the two of them... ugh, I'm gonna go cry a river - somehow's totally not my day today

Ran being... hungry... with that... vibrating... phone - lol, who would've thought I'd positively react to this sub-textual fun service

Takachi scared me with that comment, I was preparing myself for some horrible drama and I get a flashback that will surely end fluffy with Ran moving in Keiko's home after some crying when Ran finds out about her father's death x)

Personally, I don't see any foreshadowing. There may be an hint for Ran's being an alcoholic but it could also not be some serious matter, we don't know yet. I believe Keiko payed attention to Ran's drinking and at least tried to limit it in a previous chapter so I don't think it will and up in some horrible drama (if the alcoholism is real).

last edited at Jan 29, 2015 1:30PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Takachi scared me with that comment, I was preparing myself for some horrible drama and I get a flashback that will surely end fluffy with Ran moving in Keiko's home after some crying when Ran finds out about her father's death x)

Haha, I was certainly depressed yesterday. Sorry for that.

Personally, I don't see any foreshadowing. There may be an hint for Ran's being an alcoholic but it could also not be some serious matter, we don't know yet. I believe Keiko payed attention to Ran's drinking and at least tried to limit it in a previous chapter so I don't think it will and up in some horrible drama (if the alcoholism is real).

It's not the first time the alcohol topic is brought in, so I think the chances are certainly higher now, that Ran has issues with it. And there should be a plot device related to it. Doesn't have to be a dramatic one of course, but I'm pretty sure it'll play its roles in the series.
As for the foreshadowing, the way Ran mentions her dad's words is almost like she's preparing for the break-up with Keiko. Ran is certainly a very strong girl to be able to handle the situation so calmly and rationally, but I'm sure she's also human, and deep down the negative emotions accumulate and at some point she'll freak out. The less desired attention she gets from Keiko, the more it's gonna hurt her. And this actually might be a trigger to the return of her alcoholism. And this is where a lot of drama can happen between the two girls. Keiko's already feeling quite nervous after the Valentine.
This is of course pure speculation and I'm a known sucker for drama, so... I do hope everything will turn out fine and well, but...

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

Honestly I am not expecting some QQ-face-angsty-drama from Shou. But I do expect Drama done his way, that won't be jarring compared to the atmosphere of the rest of the series, (which I think is some of the best I've read here).

Slightly off-topic, IMO Slice of life (+ Drama) tends to deliver better drama than stories fully dedicated to it. Those that are drama only... I tend not to be able to care (even when I try to force myself) for characters who's very existance is drama, character that can only be described by the drama around them instead of as an actual person... Just mere constructs for the sake of drama where everything and everyone is fodder for the drama.

Here, and in other mangas that deliver drama within Slice of life tags, I feel invested on the characters due to the slice of life side and the character development it provides (i.e. it helps build a believeable character as if its a real person). makes me feel like I know these characters and care for whats going on.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Honestly I am not expecting some QQ-face-angsty-drama from Shou. But I do expect Drama done his way, that won't be jarring compared to the atmosphere of the rest of the series, (which I think is some of the best I've read here).

Slightly off-topic, IMO Slice of life (+ Drama) tends to deliver better drama than stories fully dedicated to it. Those that are drama only... I tend not to be able to care (even when I try to force myself) for characters who's very existance is drama, character that can only be described by the drama around them instead of as an actual person... Just mere constructs for the sake of drama where everything and everyone is fodder for the drama.

Exactly what i'm thinking

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

QQ-face-angsty-drama is usually called melodrama. I was talking about a more generic drama. This is also how I perceive Stretch, because it touches upon the themes of parent-kids hardships, nature disasters, romance, yuri, family, and so on. The fact that it is directed so smoothly and presented in a heart-warming and sometimes even comic, yet so realistically slice-of-life fashion is certainly Akili's huge achievement thanks to the talent of a great story-teller. It doesn't mean the drama's not present and the sun always shines.

Afueee
joined Apr 5, 2013

The wait for Stretch will kil me. Shou, you teasing bastard, you better give us a yuri ending. Happy yuri ending!!

When I recalled the noodles from chapter 26.... squee

PS: Little Ran is sooooo cute!! SOOO CUTE!!!

last edited at Jan 29, 2015 3:05PM

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

Dem noodles reminded me of this.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have.

I wish the chapters were longer! I can't get enough.

joined Mar 25, 2013

As for the foreshadowing, the way Ran mentions her dad's words is almost like she's preparing for the break-up with Keiko. Ran is certainly a very strong girl to be able to handle the situation so calmly and rationally, but I'm sure she's also human, and deep down the negative emotions accumulate and at some point she'll freak out. The less desired attention she gets from Keiko, the more it's gonna hurt her. And this actually might be a trigger to the return of her alcoholism. And this is where a lot of drama can happen between the two girls. Keiko's already feeling quite nervous after the Valentine.
This is of course pure speculation and I'm a known sucker for drama, so... I do hope everything will turn out fine and well, but...

I don't know where you get foreshadowing a break-up since they're not together, perhaps you meant falling-out? Still I don't think Ran saying her fathers words is an indication for that kind of preparation. More like she's remembering what her father told her and acting upon what he taught her (about the noodles) Plus I don't see Keiko being nervous after Valentine's Day.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

So is time for Ran's heart wrenching backstory.

:(

joined Nov 30, 2011

My body is ready >l-(

last edited at Jan 30, 2015 3:42AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

My body is ready >l-(

Sure? you should do some stretches first!

joined Nov 30, 2011

My body is ready >l-(

Sure? you should do some stretches first!

15 years of sports and only 1 injury within my last year due to taking the time to carefully stretch before every event. I think I'm ready ;)

Hyewon%20blush-1%2041
joined Dec 15, 2013

The fact that the soba Ran cooked in chapter 26 was for her 'special someone' and that she popped Keiko's new year soba cherry gives me feels. And she gave Valentine's day chocolate to Keiko which was the kind of her 'special someone' too.... Yep, feels galore.

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

The fact that the soba Ran cooked in chapter 26 was for her 'special someone' and that she popped Keiko's new year soba cherry gives me feels. And she gave Valentine's day chocolate to Keiko which was the kind of her 'special someone' too.... Yep, feels galore.

Do we still consider Ran's feelings as subtext or have we broken that barrier?

joined Mar 25, 2013

I think ever since Keiko's ex showed up at Ran's place of work Ran has been progressively leaving hints and before that she was mostly having fun on Keiko's expense. At least it seems to me that ever since he showed up she kind of had an 'Oh shit.' moment and went on the offensive.

As for when she broke the barrier I think it was broken with the Valentine's chapter, but if we take into account the noodles it would be the 26th chapter that passed subtext. If you want to go even further in when she started going more aggressively it would be in the 23rd chapter (right after the 21st one where the ex comes about) where she 'accidentally' shows her panties.

I have a lot of time on my hands..

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

I think this manga is the one who speaks of the recent earthquakes that happen in Japan

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

As for when she broke the barrier I think it was broken with the Valentine's chapter,

I agree. It was a confession of sorts, it's odd nothing happened after, except holding hands in chapter 30.

I have a lot of time on my hands..

You use it well

Pain
joined Jun 4, 2013

As for when she broke the barrier I think it was broken with the Valentine's chapter,

I agree. It was a confession of sorts, it's odd nothing happened after, except holding hands in chapter 30.

I was thinking that with the nature of this series, it is very possible certain conversations took place that we haven't seen, and that we would have to imply that they took place after more and more hints.

To reply you must either login or sign up.