Forum › why would admins/moderators feature a doujin with a transphobic slur?

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

honestly revolting, extremely poor taste considering whats going on right now in the us and uk. fuck each person involved with decision. I'm exhausted.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I hate to wade too far into the discourse on here but it's ~funny~ how the past couple of years have normalized the use of terms like "femboy" in this context and yet the translators chose the term they did

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The translation is 8 years old, so "past couple of years" doesn't say much here. Although, to be honest, I've only ever seen this particular tongue-in-cheek term used in a positive way anyway, never negatively...

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Trap was never meant to be offensive.

Doubt.jpg

joined Aug 29, 2019

Trap was never meant to be offensive.

Doubt.jpg

Regardless of whether it was, it shouldn't be, commonly isn't intended to be and thus should be reclaimed and embraced. Don't let idiots take away your language.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

That shit ain't my language.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Friendly reminder that as far as the forum goes, rules 1 and 11 are very pertinent to this topic. For the time being, I don't really have anything to add beside that.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Noted, which is also why, personal feelings about the term aside, I refrain here from actually using it.

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Our sincerest apologies, this absolutely goes against our set rules for the forums and discord even if it's a scanlator work from ages ago. The doujin has been removed from the site.

Do not go into the "positives" of the usage of the slur because there isn't any. The history of its usage is malicious and remains harmful even if the intent isn't there.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Our sincerest apologies, this absolutely goes against our set rules for the forums and discord even if it's a scanlator work from ages ago. The doujin has been removed from the site.

Do not go into the "positives" of the usage of the slur because there isn't any. The history of its usage is malicious and remains harmful even if the intent isn't there.

Sad to hear, but it's your forum.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 3:02PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Will you also be removing this, then?

What about these series where it's not a translation and part of the original Japanese title?

__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Just want to add, that you're right to call us out on this, as it's definitely a failing on our part to allow such a thing to slip through.

Because of the archival nature of the reader, there are certainly more older works that require review and probable removal from the site that have the same failings as pointed out. We have never intended to be a complete archive of works, and will curate things to be the reader we want to read ourselves.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Yikes.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Since there's a purge going on based on the titles and not so much the content, where could one go to read those works, since they'll no longer be here?

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Will you also be removing this, then?

That one could potentially be renamed to its Japanese title (ie. using "otokonoko" instead of, y'know, the other word), but short of getting in touch with a potentially dead group or doing some dirty edits with MSPaint, there's not much that can be done with any hard-subbed usages in the releases themselves.

Since there's a purge going on based on the titles and not so much the content, where could one go to read those works, since they'll no longer be here?

In terms of the original doujin being discussed, it's still available on Sadpanda.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 3:40PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Sad to hear, but it's your forum.

Especially since the doujin was like here for years but somehow wasn't a problem till now + it's been on feature for 5 days now and someone had to put it on featured so.

joined Jun 12, 2015

This reminds me of the controversy with removing "Gone with the Wind" from HBO MAX.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 3:46PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

This reminds me of the controversy with removing "Gone with the Wind" from HBO MAX.

Simpsons' Apu-controversy likewise comes to mind. It's related to anything ending in -phobia being measured by second and third parties' perceptions and "offense taken" rather than the intention of the agent behind the original incident.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 4:02PM

__mioda_ibuki_danganronpa_and_super_danganronpa_2_drawn_by_qosic__sample
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Especially since the doujin was like here for years but somehow wasn't a problem till now + it's been on feature for 5 days now and someone had to put it on featured so.

I already explained this to you on Discord, but I'm repeating it for others.

It's not that it "suddenly" became an issue, it's always been an issue, just that it's been one we've failed to address properly
What we (dynasty) view as acceptable has changed, but we've lagged behind in reflecting that in what's on the reader
But what will and will not be removed is something we need to look at, and ultimately it's still our decision

Allowing it to be featured, and for several days when a bunch of us already knew about it is a failure on our part. There is no defense for us to put up for that.

Simpsons' Apu-controversy likewise comes to mind. It's related to anything ending in -phobia being measured by second and third parties' perceptions and "offense taken" rather than the intention of the agent behind the original incident.

This thread literally started with someone taking offense to it, so please do not continue this re-treading of indignation for when we don't want this term being used.

This is not open for debate.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 4:15PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

It seems odd to host works featuring rape and lolicon and rape+lolicon while purging works that merely use 'trap' in the title.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

It seems odd to host works featuring rape and lolicon and rape+lolicon while purging works that merely use 'trap' in the title.

While I'm seeing that it'll eventually go that way, they aren't comparable. Those topics are more substantive topics of story telling--whether or not the reader(s) like those topics. They occur and are understandable, and there are an infinite number of ways to portray and draw perspectives. This makes for interesting reading for some people, not (purely) because they like those subjects but because of what comes from them.

Slurs and titles only function to demean/dehumanize people and their own experiences. I don't think it's the Dynasty staff saying 'Words are worse than [x]', but rather they changed their curation standards to not have such titles.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

With proper tagging this kind of content can be avoided. Questionable language like this is harder to avoid, unless you avoid the whole category it's commonly used in. Although I guess one solution would be to tag these as well with archaic offensive terms and leave them be, since other than the one word, which in no case is meant to offend in any manga uploaded to Dynasty (it would never have made it here in such a case), these are usually actually not bad stories at all.

1426710325434%20-%20copy
joined Mar 31, 2021

I think there's a lot of inaccuracies in this thread, but there's 2 main things wrong with it. Firstly, trap is not a transphobic slur, despite people going on about it day in and day out. This has been shown time and time again, in 2021 it's never used as such, and especially never used as such in the online manga/anime community.

Secondly, and most importantly, there's no reason whatsoever to delete content based on this faulty assumption, if somone doesn't want to read it because of it, don't read it. I'll never criticize somone for not reading something there not comfortable with. That's completly ok, but don't instead demand it be taken down. What happened to if you don't like it, ignore it?

Its not a good precident to set.

joined Jul 31, 2013

I feel so much better now that this nameless doujin I've never read is gone. Thank you

joined Aug 29, 2019

You know I sometimes wonder if people use a vpn and a different mail address to state such opinions that they deem important, but know will get banned for. Not sure if that would be enough to spoof an anti-second-account system. What with that post two above me being the first and only post of that freshly created account.

last edited at Mar 31, 2021 10:02AM

This topic has been locked.