Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

There is a Magia Record panel at the Aniplex Fest so people think it might happen then, all we can do is wait to find out what is happening though

https://aniplex-online-fest.com/

apparently FGO moves it's anniversary to irl events like this when they are somewhat close to the anniversary so people suspect Magia Record will too

last edited at Jun 2, 2020 7:15PM by

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Being Hameru is suffering.

See, this is specifically why it frustrates me, ever since we known Homura, every version of her has been through the wringer, and it isn't the first time she's been through some bullshit in MagiReco either, considering how her Valentine's story turned out, at some point you gotta start wondering, when is enough enough? at least she gets some relief in chapter 10 since Walpurgis gets fucking axed and that finally frees her from her time loops...

Anyway, I think I am about halfway into day 3 of the event story, only hit one bad end so far(Sana's first), so let's see how this turns out...

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

I've barely started the event both due to internet troubles and focusing more of FGO today to get my servants leveled up before the next event starts tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to make some more progress in the event before I go to bed tonight.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

apparently FGO moves it's anniversary to irl events like this when they are somewhat close to the anniversary so people suspect Magia Record will too

Ah I see. From a gameplay perspective I wouldn't mind then, since that's more time to build up pity. From an emotional fulfillment angle, my MR otp can't arrive any sooner. Also I'm getting impatient having so many rolls waiting around and no good 4* memoria + few nat 4* magical girls.

considering how her Valentine's story turned out

Who wrote that one? Was it Doroinu again? But yeah it was nice to see Homura getting some time off in her MSS at least. When I saw she was going on a shopping date with Madoka, I was surprised since it was a mood whiplash from Rebellion, the last the series showed us of Homura before MR. She accepts the possibility of being hated by everyone, even Madoka, in that movie sooo. There being a place for her in MR is cathartic.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Who wrote that one? Was it Doroinu again?

Yep, and it actually has some more interesting implications, and I really like it quite a lot, in particular with how it connects to Madoka's story(also by DoroInu), and how it becomes a play on the series-long karmic rule of "anymiracle will generate will generate a proportional amount of curses", after all, that also means that any curses will create an equivalent miracle.

Madoka's story is about her getting caught in an Uwasa(we assume it is an Uwasa rather, because what else could it be, but it was never confirmed by anything) and having to destroy her own fate(it makes... sense in context?) to save everyone else who also got caught into it, while being warned that doing so could be catastrophic for herself as it leaves her future in complete uncertainty... however, we as viewers know that Madoka's fate is... not great, as she invariably would sacrifice herself for the sake of others, which means that by bringing a curse upon herself, to make her future uncertain, she may have created a miracle for herself, to be saved from her own self-sacrifical fate.

In turn, we reach Homura's story, where she befriends a Black Feather, and shortly after the same Black Feather has a bad enough day that she snaps, is implied to have murdered her bullies, and is witching out as a result of this, meaning Homura lost someone else who she had started to care about right in front of her eyes, and that really gets to her, but because of how her story connects to Madoka's, and how Madoka's already had that thruline, we are driven to focus on the ending, where Madoka comforts Homura and Homura's mask that everything is fine shatters long enough to let Madoka understand her a little better, her curse, to lose her new friend, led to her own miracle, to drive her relationship with Madoka closer than before.

Ultimately I like the Valentine's story because while it also puts Homura through the wringer, it focuses entirely on her own development, while the Summer story bothers me because it focuses so much on Kei and Yu that it forces Homura through that situation for no reason, with only one plot thread coming up about her and it goes largely unresolved as it loses focus.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

I just deliberately got one of the bad endings in chapter 2 of event where Iroha fails to stop Tsuruno and Felicia from doing the spicy challenge event and they try drinking sea water to cool down which doesn't work out. Got 5 Magia Stones as a reward (2 for 3 staring the stage and 3 for completing a section) for completing it so it's worth getting the bad ends if you want to maximize your magia stone gain to save up for the next limited banner.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I just deliberately got one of the bad endings in chapter 2 of event where Iroha fails to stop Tsuruno and Felicia from doing the spicy challenge event and they try drinking sea water to cool down which doesn't work out.

Idiots. They should've drank a litre of milk each if they wanted to cool down from the spicyness.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well both of them are somewhat impulsive so it's at least in-character and believable that they tried it.

Edit: I've now completed all parts including all of the bad endings of part 1. Now I just have to farm event currency to clear the part 1 shop.

Edit 2: I've MLB'd my copy of the event CE and put it on my Mifuyu.

Here's my current team if anyone wants to use them:

All are max level and have their doppel available:

2s Mifuyu
4s Tsuruno
2s Mayu
3s Hinano
2s Ultimate Madoka
2s Moemura

Name: Yoshiko
ID: KunTXGfr

Edit 3: I just saw some fanart with Yachiyo (19) giving a blushing Ui (11) a kabedon. Apparently she's not satisfied with only Iroha (15), and must have her younger sister too. The same artist also did a similar scene with Felicia (13) and Sana (14) too.

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 12:16AM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

I just deliberately got one of the bad endings in chapter 2 of event

I'm deliberately getting all bad endings because there's no reason not to lol. I didn't even think about the stones though that's certainly true too. Main reason is just cause I want every scrap of story available. I've also found out there are "secret endings".

Idiots. They should've drank a litre of milk each if they wanted to cool down from the spicyness.

Unfortunately what they did is completely believable for them. Plus the spice levels didn't facilitate logical reasoning. I still facepalmed hard though.

I just saw some fanart with Yachiyo (19) giving a blushing Ui (11) a kabedon. Apparently she's not satisfied with only Iroha (15), and must have her younger sister too. The same artist also did a similar scene with Felicia (13) and Sana (14) too.

Ugh geez. XD 19 and 11 is a bit much by any standard.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I followed you, but you said

Sakura Cartelet posted:

2s Moemura

but you have her only on 1 slot. False advertisement!

Also while checking followers I saw Veya, which I assume is our Veya. I already said before, if you guys want me to follow you back, you must mentioned it in thread, cos I'm not checking my followers that often and I can still miss you if you use different nick than on forum.

As for the event. I have to say some of those bad ends are seriously hilarious xD My personal favorite so far is Sana becoming known biologist x3

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 8:49AM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

While we're on the subject...
Name: Kite★
ID: YaQJy2KB

The star is there mostly because there would be a few homonyms otherwise. Not sure how long I'll keep it though.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

@Nevri: It seems I forgot to equip something in her second slot. I just put the memoria with a critical strike up rate in it.

@riverFlower Now that I think about it there's not only the magia stones that you get from the bad endings but a lot of them are pretty funny too like where Sana is forced to join Ayaka's comedy troupe.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

I thought you still saw how many slots there are available, even if they're empty, but I guess that's only for your support.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Oh, I finished all 47 event nodes sometime yesterday, and yes, Sana's marine biologist ending is by far my favorite "bad end" so far, it is the one "bad end" that gets absolutely wild, it was also the only bad ending I got naturally when going through the event, I managed to avoid every other in my first run thru, I was almost disappointed that I couldn't avoid all of them... if only I hadn't thought that Sana needed to be a little more assertive...

Main reason is just cause I want every scrap of story available.

This is a huge part to do it as well, specially in a goofy fun event like this where the "bad ends" are just more goofyness.

Also while checking followers I saw Veya, which I assume is our Veya.

That's probably me! you can see my personal message("MadoHomu OTP"), and how my Memoria selection in my Support list is completely and utterly biased towards ships, there is a reason Madokami has "The Price of a Wish", why Karin has "Attitude Towards Art", why Alina has "My Bible", why Madoka has "Sworn Promise", and why Homura has "Unwavering Light" and "Hope's Light, Free from Despair"...

I already said before, if you guys want me to follow you back, you must mentioned it in thread

I think i followed you on a whim(whims are the only way I get anything done...) and I just forgot entirely to mention...

My personal favorite so far is Sana becoming known biologist x3

That particular ending made me wonder if there is fanart of Sana dressed like part 4 Jotaro somewhere out there...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

it was also the only bad ending I got naturally when going through the event, I managed to avoid every other in my first run thru, I was almost disappointed that I couldn't avoid all of them... if only I hadn't thought that Sana needed to be a little more assertive...

Rotfl yes. I managed to avoid all bad ends except for 1 during Mito event, but since then I actually try to get bad ends first, so I can then focus fully on the story. So I was really surprised when I picked Sana staying quiet thinking it'll obviously lead to bad end to only then see that plot is clearly progressing further. At first I was worried that they'll go with something like they shot her down so badly when she tried to be assertive that she lost all confidence in herself, so the fact it actually backfired and she was so eager to find goingon (seriously, what is even that word?) she actually started discovering new animals was hilarious xD

That's probably me! you can see my personal message("MadoHomu OTP")

Yea and I remembered you said you had 4s Homura and Madokami, so that checked as well xP

my Memoria selection in my Support list is completely and utterly biased towards ships

Sounds reasonable xP

I think i followed you on a whim(whims are the only way I get anything done...) and I just forgot entirely to mention...

Np. I just repeated myself mainly because I added that to my post later, so wasn't sure if everyone saw it and thought you might have missed it.

That particular ending made me wonder if there is fanart of Sana dressed like part 4 Jotaro somewhere out there...

Since I never saw anything JoJo related (outside of all the memes) what reference it's exactly?

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 9:11AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

So I was really surprised when I picked Sana staying quiet thinking it'll obviously lead to bad end to only then see that plot is clearly progressing further.

See, that was my exact thought, I assumed that if she agreed with Yachiyo and dismissed it, it would lead to the entire thing being forgotten and never followed upon, thus a "bad end" as it would cut the story short, the twist was utterly unexpected to me...

For the other split paths, the first one I figured that Iroha had to take her role as one of the moms of the family to heart, the second one the story had already properly foreshawdowed Yachiyo likes spicy flavor, the third was a matter of keeping Yachiyo in character to me, keeping calm and collected is one of her primary traits after all, and Kako had to hit her own limit eventually.

For Sana's, first one I already commented, the second one was about trying to keep the story going, and the third one I just picked the option I agreed with and it turned out to be the right one...

Since I never saw anything JoJo related (outside of all the memes) what reference it's exactly?

The protagonist of part 3 of JoJo, Jotaro, becomes a marine biologist in the timeskip between parts 3 and 4(around 11 years apart in-universe), a lot of jokes around the character revolves around this and I just associate "marine biologist+anime" with him every time...

EDIT: I decide to use the "Find Players" function to see what else would come up by my name... it seem like the only other accounts with the name "Veya" are my own abandoned reroll accounts, all of them rank 4 with level 5 Iroha, except one of them that has Emiri as the Favorite(cuz my immediate reaction to Emiri was "Oh my god she is adorable..."), I rerolled more than that but I think I just stopped putting my username on accounts that I knew were likely failures...

I wouldn't mind if Aniplex decided to purge those clearly unused launch reroll accounts, it probably would clear up a decent amount of server space...

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 12:07PM

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

it seem like the only other accounts with the name "Veya" are my own abandoned reroll accounts

So that's the reason for all those various clearly abandoned accounts with the same names. Funnily enough, I didn't think to reroll myself, given the free 4★ granted to all new players. In hindsight, I could've rerolled anyway to get an extra rare.

last edited at Jun 4, 2020 1:51PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

For Sana's (...) the second one was about trying to keep the story going

I figured waiting for fad to fade was bad one, because 1. it would probably take a long time for it to fade and 2. if it even would fade in the first place. Also is it me or keeping "goingon" mysterious would actually be more beneficial to everyone in the long run, as it turned into tourist attraction on the level of Nessie etc? Definitely it lead to many people making more money.

learns Seika is going to perform new comedy sketch with Ayaka
can feel the cringe already

Ironically as much as Ayaka's just plain suck and I don't really like her as a character, jokes Seika came up with on her own are actually good.

I have to say as with (most) mysteries, the answer to what "goingon" is, was much less interesting than actual build up to it xP

SuperText posted:

Funnily enough, I didn't think to reroll myself, given the free 4★ granted to all new players.

I actually don't remember who my first 4★ was. Forgot we got free one in the first place. I'd probably not bother to reroll anyway.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Funnily enough, I didn't think to reroll myself, given the free 4★ granted to all new players.

The free 4* ticket wasn't there at launch in NA, it only came... about half a year later? I got Karin out of it and my Karin's obtain date is Jan 8th 2020, plus I only got Karin because I had got Alina from anime free rolls like a few days before and my Alina is Jan 4th 2020.

So rerolling was the only way to have a 4* at launch besides whaling, plus there was a special launch celebration mission that gave a 10roll ticket for clearing chapter 1, which made it much easier to reroll than it is now... it was still a 40 minute-ish process per attempt, however...

as much as Ayaka's just plain suck

In complete and total fairness to Ayaka, her humor style makes singnificantly more sense in Japanese than in English, where wordplay/pun-based humor is far more common and enjoyed than in English... she is still not great at it, but it makes more sense there, and even as it was, you can see something reminiscent of Monty Python's Spam skit, with humor being drawn out of repetition, just not nearly as well executed.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

In complete and total fairness to Ayaka, her humor style makes singnificantly more sense in Japanese than in English, where wordplay/pun-based humor is far more common and enjoyed than in English... she is still not great at it, but it makes more sense there, and even as it was, you can see something reminiscent of Monty Python's Spam skit, with humor being drawn out of repetition, just not nearly as well executed.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love word plays and puns. I liked the ones Seika made in her episode story just fine. They were actually funny. Ayaka's... I don't even understand. Maybe it's matter of poor translation, but if they're meant to be bad even in original, I think I still have appropriate reaction to them. The pure cringe ;v

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

My first 4* was Madoka from the ticket and Kanae for my first rolled natural 4* from the anime free 10 rolls.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Name: Ruelin
ID: ENrERcGs

My supports are pretty low tier right now, but I'm sure I'll be able to get a lot more decent units once IroYachi comes out and I can use my rolls.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

but if they're meant to be bad even in original, I think I still have appropriate reaction to them.

They are meant to be more awkward than bad, Ayaka's primary problem is that she has no filter to see when it is appropriate to make a joke, because in her mind it is always appropriate to make a joke, and this was what was happening in this event: She just saw a crowd and saw it as an opportunity, when nobody in said crowd was in the right mindset for it, shown by Sana's complete and utter disbelief(in both endings, really) that the thing she was so worked up about was so trivial...

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Event, somewhere in the middle of day 3: "C-could this be...?! That urban legend I heard about. A pickup line from a woman?!" Oh no. And then a few screens later, Tsuruno announcing to everybody "Maybe there's one standing next to you right now!" Oh nooooo. XD

This is turning into the best party ever. They've shown almost every Kamihama magical girl so far.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Unfortunately for him Yachiyo is more into getting a harem of cute girls. The Wings of Magius (and the Magius themselves) have yet to show up though...

To reply you must either login or sign up.