Forum › Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story discussion

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Still somewhat of a disappointment there's no Kaleidoscope, Sumo, or similar CEs like in FGO in this game.

I'd say that MagiReco is balanced very differently from FGO and such it has different needs, Magias aren't necessary for farming as much as AoE NPs are since Auto and Blast spam takes care of that, and preventing you from turn 1 nuking allows for different balancing in challenge quests, break bars are completely unecessary within MagiReco because of that.

A Kscope-like Memoria would still be nice, don't get me wrong, but I can understand why the aren't around.

Oh yeah I thought it was cool they gave out the two memoria for free in the support point shop. Those are two very cute memoria to hand out as freebies. Would be useful to people with no MLB too just for the stats.

Those Memoria were a T-Card collab in Japn and they are actually part of a single picture split into two, still really nice and I could always use more MadoHomu in my life.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Those Memoria were a T-Card collab in Japn and they are actually part of a single picture split into two, still really nice and I could always use more MadoHomu in my life.

What or who is T-card?

Sakura Cartelet
Nights%20of%20azure%20avatar
joined May 28, 2016

The game seems to be being suspiciously generous with the Babysitter's Pedestal drops on the first stage. I think I've gotten almost 10 of them since I've started farming that stage. :) On an unrelated note, I just hit rank 93 with the last battle which means another free refill which should help me with my farming of the remaining items which are Master XP++, BP potions, and magia chips.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

What or who is T-card?

T-Card is a type of point card in Japan for store loyalty systems, based on what I know(which I admit is not a ton), there are others but T-Card is the most widely used in the country, the collab basically meant you can get one such card with the illustration showing in the tweet I linked.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Are you sure they're called T-Cards? I looked it up and the entry I got was about tracking devices used by law enforcement, fire fighters, and the like.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I am certain, it is more a thing about the term having a different meaning in the west, but it is purely coincidental, and you can even notice the mock card in the tweet has a T on it, on the top left corner...

last edited at Jun 7, 2020 7:09PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Well, it does literally say T-card in black font on the top right, and the series of 0's on the bottom I'm assuming indicate card numbers. Plus rounded corners like a typical credit, etc. card. So checks out. It is pretty interesting though cause I also did a google search and turned up zilch on the first page at least.

Oh here we go. "T-card japan" did the trick. Two entries.

last edited at Jun 7, 2020 8:02PM

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

After reading the article, I can't think of anything similar to that where I live. Sure there's rewards programs from credit card companies or airlines frequent flier programs but those seem only slightly related to the T-cards.

Anyway I went from grinding Iroha's 10AP mission to Yachiyo's to try to get some of her chains but I've spent over 200 AP and only got a single material drop. :(

Edit: I just got to rank 13 in Mirrors today. Wow the story section was pretty funny this time. I can't wait to see the next one. :)

last edited at Jun 8, 2020 12:25AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ok, for some reason I remembered to count the basic currency drop twice, but I wasn't doing it for bonuses from memorias. So yea, with memorias it's better to farm currency using 10 ap quest. Also I'm surprised. When I farmed it at first I didn't drop anything, but now I already dropped 3-4 screws by just spending ap today. Then again I guess I might have just gotten lucky.

Sakura Cartelet posted:

Edit: I just got to rank 13 in Mirrors today. Wow the story section was pretty funny this time. I can't wait to see the next one. :)

Yea, some of them are pretty funny, though recent ones got pretty serious, presumably because they want to retire mirrors and want to explain it in the story,

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Welp, I actually cleared the entire part 1 shop by just spamming the ever living hell out of 7AP, mostly on natural regen too, I just was consistent to never let my AP hit max...

Also I am already fairly forward in the part 2 story, though that's because I got invested enough into Tsuruno's story to spend pots on it, and I also managed to evade the first two bad ends but the third one got me... though the third one also led to a secret end so I'd say it's still something... I might just use more pots in the afternoon to get done with the story in one sitting since I am having a fair bit of fun with it.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Finally done with the part 1 shop. Now time to work on part 2 of the story. Hope to have the main story done by the end of today so I can grind for the mats and other important stuff tomorrow. :)

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

So yea, with memorias it's better to farm currency using 10 ap quest. Also I'm surprised. When I farmed it at first I didn't drop anything, but now I already dropped 3-4 screws by just spending ap today.

Yeah the drop rate is really low. Not a reliable way to farm but an added bonus when it pops up. The RNG gods were in your favor.

Yea, some of them are pretty funny, though recent ones got pretty serious, presumably because they want to retire mirrors and want to explain it in the story,

Is there any reason mirrors is so neglected? I like the concept of the mirror witch a lot, and from where I am in the story, pretty much everything about it still a total mystery that I want to learn more about. Or well I hope they had more planned for the mirror witch besides an in-universe excuse for PVP.

Welp, I actually cleared the entire part 1 shop by just spamming the ever living hell out of 7AP, mostly on natural regen too, I just was consistent to never let my AP hit max...

Ugh I don't think that'd be doable for me lol. It's such a drain having to stop whatever I'm doing every five minutes to start up the quest again. Like it makes it so it's impossible to focus on anything else, so the only other real thing I can do is stare at the battle playing out or read something that doesn't require thinking.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

Is there any reason mirrors is so neglected?

It is mostly not a priority, relative to events which are constantly needed to maintain content, and main story/another story, it basically for a long while got updated on a "It will be done when it's done" basis.

For what is worth, the first arc is complete in JP, though I won't go into spoilers specially since we haven't even met a very major character for understanding that narrative in NA.

It's such a drain having to stop whatever I'm doing every five minutes to start up the quest again.

I watch a lot of YT to kill time so I usually have a video playing in front of me and letting peripheral vision take care of me knowing when the fight is done, plus I only do it like two or three times a day, I currently have 122 max AP and that's a little over 10 hours for AP to recharge from zero to full, it's plenty of time for me to even sleep through the AP charging without it letting it hit max...

Anyway, I finished the story of the event in full now, it was actually really nice, and I did a mostly good job at evading bad ends along the way, though some of those didn't feel quite fair, Felicia's first split path in particular gives no context for which should be the "right" option and it is a pure guess...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

Ugh I don't think that'd be doable for me lol. It's such a drain having to stop whatever I'm doing every five minutes to start up the quest again. Like it makes it so it's impossible to focus on anything else, so the only other real thing I can do is stare at the battle playing out or read something that doesn't require thinking.

For me it's exact opposite. I'm doing something else and let auto do fighting for me in the background and just every now and then check if quest is done to start new run. So I don't pay attention to game at all unless I know there can be issues and I need to step in if things get ugly. Sure having to break away from what you're doing every 5 minutes or so can be a bit annoying, but it's small price to pay for not having to actually doing farming yourself (auto is a yurisend). In fact especially when quests take a bit longer to finish I often forget about them, while getting immersed in whatever I'm doing. And unless you're grinding mats by spending pots, you usually will spend ap quite fast and then can focus on whatever you're doing fully.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Iroha being a good sister. Anyway I've been mostly grinding floating enemies in FGO today. Haven't made much progress in part two of the event.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Tsuruno's first bad ending is probably also the first more legit bad ending so far. Poor Tsuruno doesn't even get to execute her surprise anymore and they just stare awkwardly out the window the rest of the day?. Actually I feel bad for Tsuruno in all of her bad endings. They're all so awkward.

I can't believe Mitama showed up. Was not expecting her at all.

Day 5 was awkward beyond belief but was sweet.

Also have finally learned that the costumes give unique homescreen dialogue lol. I've been missing out on so much. Tsuruno's swimsuit voice lines are funny. And they gave swimsuit Kaede one set of unique voice lines. Just one. About Rena being busty. You must be kidding me. XD

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Well I'm basically done with doing the story for part 2 of the event. Now on to farming for event currency. ]

Edit: Did all of the event nodes including all of the bad ends and I got to see Iroha's birthday party after the "end" of the event. It gives another 10 magia stones so it may be worth getting

last edited at Jun 9, 2020 12:17AM

Reimu-pet-cirno
joined May 17, 2013

All the bad ends give magia stones as well, so getting them is worth it.

Sakura Cartelet
joined May 28, 2016

Today I spent a few tickets and got my first copy of Ryou Midori. I maxed out her level to 80 immediately since she's the first ST Flame magical girl that I think I have. The only other high leveled flame girls are Tsuruno and Rika both of whom are AOE nukers.

I just need two more types of mats (neither of which appear in the current event) to max out my Kokoro's magia level. Hopefully the next event will offer them.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

riverFlower posted:

I can't believe Mitama showed up. Was not expecting her at all.

To be fair because of the stupid rule of only megucas have sprites (Mameji best meguca, can't wait when they'll release him) unless they'd fill event with randoms, which isn't really ideal if you want players to actually give any fuck about them, they really need to use other megucas, and once first few appeared in first part as background characters, I knew we'll pretty much see everyone sooner or later.

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

To be fair because of the stupid rule of only megucas have sprites

Ah yes, the issue that has Hitomi being stuck in that awkward "Too important to be given a generic Live2D but also not important enough to be given a detailed Live2D so she just doesn't appear at all" zone...

Though to be frank, I prefer to have other characters appear, we don't actually have a ton of non-Meguca relevant characters in first place, specially for Kamihama, even for Mitakihara we only have Hitomi, Madoka's parents, and Kyosuke, and the least we get of Kyosuke, the better...

Rabu2
joined Apr 22, 2019

only megucas have sprites

And not even all of them. I'd like to see what Yusa Yumeno actually looks like. Scratch that, I'd like to see her as a playable unit.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

Though to be frank, I prefer to have other characters appear, we don't actually have a ton of non-Meguca relevant characters in first place

I'm pretty sure we don't have them, exactly because of that rule, so for (most) story important character, they rely on other megucas, exactly because they already have sprites made for those and don't need to create new ones for new characters. I know the main drive and story revolves around megucas, but that doesn't mean that only relevant characters should be megucas. Especially since compare to OG series, it really kinda feels forced when you realize just how many megucas there is in just 1 city. I mean, I know you might argue Mitakihara was a exception, but most people would be familiar with it first and it gave you more idea that megucas are rather on low number rather than 50+ you get in Kamihama alone.

SuperText posted:

And not even all of them. I'd like to see what Yusa Yumeno actually looks like. Scratch that, I'd like to see her as a playable unit.

Yea, there's also the issue of few rare megucas that appear that still don't have sprites, though at least Yu had unique generic sprite (as much sense as it makes). I totally understand why they did it that way though. Because in order to give them actual sprites, they'd need to design them and if they did, then some people would inevitably like them and want to roll them, so then there would be exception that they'd add them to the game sooner or later. Then again, people still want Yu to be added as playable meguca and to roll for her so. But yea, not giving any actual sprites to non-meguca characters, really hurts story in many places.

last edited at Jun 10, 2020 10:47AM

Holdingsmall
joined Jan 15, 2020

I'm pretty sure we don't have them, exactly because of that rule

We do have a handful though they are all directly related to megucas, Tsuruno's father(who actually does appear in this event), Karin's grandmother, Hayato(Aimi's not-boyfriend), Tsukasa's father and his students including Take, just to name a few, and we could have them appear instead on occasion, but I also feel it's just not... interesting? part of the thing is that this is a gacha, and there is the perspective from the developers that the viewers would rather see Aimi making a cameo than to have Hayato appear, as an example, specially in goofier, SoL events like this, while in more serious events we get more random, nameless people, like Breakpoint and Hereafter.

Because in order to give them actual sprites, they'd need to design them

For what is worth, Yu does have a unique design, her L2D model is unique to her despite not being detailed, and her meguca form is detailed enough to give you a rough perspective to how she should look, even if still not detailed.

Part of the thing is that Yu's story is DoroInu's pet project and you'd need her to want Yu to be playable for it to happen at all...

last edited at Jun 10, 2020 11:31AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Veya posted:

We do have a handful though they are all directly related to megucas, Tsuruno's father(who actually does appear in this event), Karin's grandmother, Hayato(Aimi's not-boyfriend), Tsukasa's father and his students including Take, just to name a few

Yes, I didn't mean there's no important characters outside of megucas. In fact that's exactly what I meant by "But yea, not giving any actual sprites to non-meguca characters, really hurts story in many places." Cos there are some character who totally should have their own sprite, but they don't, so to players they appear as not important or forgettable because they have generic, non distinctive sprites. And even some events etc. where they add character that's clearly important in the moment, has generic sprite, hence any impact they could leave or add is automatically removed. I'd argue because they gave Yu semi-unique sprite that's the only reason people even paid attention to her or remember her, the few details it does include automatically made her vastly more memorable and interesting. Even FGO as much as they love to reuse few generic sprites they have, do make completely unique new sprites for characters that are important, even if just for 1 event or story.

and we could have them appear instead on occasion, but I also feel it's just not... interesting? part of the thing is that this is a gacha, and there is the perspective from the developers that the viewers would rather see Aimi making a cameo than to have Hayato appear, as an example, specially in goofier, SoL events like this

Oh I totally understand that too, but then you kinda contradict your point by adding this

while in more serious events we get more random, nameless people, like Breakpoint and Hereafter.

Which is exactly the point I was making and your defense of "it's gacha, they want to promote character and you rather see cameos with familiar characters", fails flat when you have more serious story and need new characters to tell it, but then give 0 fucks about those characters, which in proxy also give players 0 reason to give fuck to those characters as well. I'm not saying replace all those megucas in this event with new 1 off characters, it make sense everyone is on the beach during summer. But it's still a fact they overrely on them, exactly because they're actual characters and not cardboard cut outs that nobody will remember about after the event and actually trying to make them more memorable would be money and effort they clearly don't feel like putting.

For what is worth, Yu does have a unique design, her L2D model is unique to her despite not being detailed, and her meguca form is detailed enough to give you a rough perspective to how she should look, even if still not detailed.

That's why I said "though at least Yu had unique generic sprite (as much sense as it makes)."

Part of the thing is that Yu's story is DoroInu's pet project and you'd need her to want Yu to be playable for it to happen at all...

I wasn't only talking about Yu, cos there were other megucas without sprites, even semi-unique ones. About DoroInu's pet project I'm honestly not sure what I'm supposed to comment you about meta stuff like that. Especially stuff like "not wanting them to be playable" when we're talking about gacha.

last edited at Jun 10, 2020 12:15PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.