Forum › Hino-san no Baka discussion

joined Apr 18, 2018

why do so many yuri artists have to draw loli trash??

Why do you even care? So people's personal pixiv accounts gotta follow your standard for what reasons, exactly? Because your morals shadowed others's thoughts and personal taste? Are you one those people that could get so offended by drawing but couldn't focused on the fact that actual child trafficking ring exists and not knowing that it's what actually really matters? Oh please, let's spare these sketches because they got human rights.

LOL better respect those pedophiles, amiright?

... >.>

Better than respecting a judgemental douche.

last edited at May 10, 2019 1:58AM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Welp, I guess this is the answer to me saying this was getting a tad uncomfortable. It's alright, folks. She wants it.

joined Dec 8, 2016

Tadokoro-san, Hino-san, and Less Than Friends in less than 36 hrs. It’s a beautiful thing.

Looks like Koguma has reached the ‘I’m uneasy until my seme molests me’ phase.

TheWidow-Sensei
Capture%20_2019-08-15-23-46-48-2
joined Dec 1, 2017

why do so many yuri artists have to draw loli trash??

I always assume that each author draws how they like, and have their own drawstyle, so it's just a trending that lots of them draw a chibi style.

Inai hou ga ii ningen
joined May 23, 2018

Bet yall feel dumb now. Hino was bae all along.

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

You know the skill Koguma has shown, taking off your bra without removing your shirt first, is kinda impressive to me. Its one of those skills i just cant do for some reason. Props on her for knowing how.

...it might be weird that it was my first thought when reading this chapter.

It's a skill that takes practice.

... And a lose enough shirt.

joined Jan 18, 2019

You know the skill Koguma has shown, taking off your bra without removing your shirt first, is kinda impressive to me. Its one of those skills i just cant do for some reason. Props on her for knowing how.

...it might be weird that it was my first thought when reading this chapter.

It's a skill that takes practice.

... And a lose enough shirt.

I can do it even with a tight shirt :v

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It's not that Koguma wants to be molested, she just needs Hino's attention. Suddenly it seems like she didn't care anymore, which is the same as throwing away a convenient toy. Luckily Hino's so deep down the rabbit hole that she probably can't live without Koguma anymore. lol

Sewing is not one of those skills I assumed Hino would have, but I guess never judge a book by its cover~

BugDevil: power exchange needs to be negotiated. safe words exist for a reason. sometimes playful teasing goes too far, and it isn't always easy to tell if someone is enjoying something.

people are debating it here because it hasn't been made explicit. being explicit is what keeps relationships like this healthy. communication is important. instead of hino guessing when she goes too far, she will know for sure.

there have been a couple of panels where i really didn't like the way koguma was drawn. one with her shirt up laying on the ground bothered me. the one Blastaar points out as well.

...okay, but what normal high-school girls use safewords for standard interactions? As I keep saying this isn't some play. She literally just took her three sizes. You have to stop thinking in BDSM terms.

I think people are overreacting here. This is all super tame.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

It's not that Koguma wants to be molested, she just needs Hino's attention. Suddenly it seems like she didn't care anymore, which is the same as throwing away a convenient toy. Luckily Hino's so deep down the rabbit hole that she probably can't live without Koguma anymore. lol

Sewing is not one of those skills I assumed Hino would have, but I guess never judge a book by its cover~

BugDevil: power exchange needs to be negotiated. safe words exist for a reason. sometimes playful teasing goes too far, and it isn't always easy to tell if someone is enjoying something.

people are debating it here because it hasn't been made explicit. being explicit is what keeps relationships like this healthy. communication is important. instead of hino guessing when she goes too far, she will know for sure.

there have been a couple of panels where i really didn't like the way koguma was drawn. one with her shirt up laying on the ground bothered me. the one Blastaar points out as well.

...okay, but what normal high-school girls use safewords for standard interactions? As I keep saying this isn't some play. She literally just took her three sizes. You have to stop thinking in BDSM terms.

Yes, it ISN'T play which is kinda the source of my iffy feelings when Hino pushes a bit too hard because in play boundaries are clearly defined and everyone involved has a pretty clear idea of what is expected out of a given session. This is haphazard teasing where it's entirely possible for Hino to accidentally step all over Koguma's boundaries and cause actual harm and discomfort and even if we know the author isn't going to have that happen it still puts me on edge because it's an inherently worrying situation. Like this isn't BDSM but the standards of safe, sane, and consensual still totally apply here (and really to all interactions because consent isn't just important in sex).

Images
joined Aug 14, 2016

when I'm reading this manga it feels like a roller coaster.

i luv this author's ideas.. salute you **

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yes, it ISN'T play which is kinda the source of my iffy feelings when Hino pushes a bit too hard because in play boundaries are clearly defined and everyone involved has a pretty clear idea of what is expected out of a given session. This is haphazard teasing where it's entirely possible for Hino to accidentally step all over Koguma's boundaries and cause actual harm and discomfort and even if we know the author isn't going to have that happen it still puts me on edge because it's an inherently worrying situation. Like this isn't BDSM but the standards of safe, sane, and consensual still totally apply here (and really to all interactions because consent isn't just important in sex).

I mean... I've said some pretty hurtful things to friends before and they did the same to me. Social interactions aren't a controlled environment. Sometimes you go too far, sometimes they are especially sensitive about something. That's how life goes. When you love someone you also perceive many "issues" as not so bad anymore.

Until Hino actually forces anything on Koguma I won't even start to worry. What we have to be aware of is that Koguma takes the active role in all of this. She seeks Hino out, not the other way around.

last edited at May 10, 2019 6:34AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I mean... I've said some pretty hurtful things to friends before and they did the same to me. Social interactions aren't a controlled environment. Sometimes you go too far, sometimes they are especially sensitive about something. That's how life goes. When you love someone you also perceive many "issues" as not so bad anymore.

Until Hino actually forces anything on Koguma I won't even start to worry. What we have to be aware of is that Koguma takes the active role in all of this. She seeks Hino out, not the other way around.

Saying the wrong thing and hurting a friend's feelings and intentionally needling and embarrassing someone you only sorta know because you enjoy their reactions are not the same situation at all.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Saying the wrong thing and hurting a friend's feelings and intentionally needling and embarrassing someone you only sorta know because you enjoy their reactions are not the same situation at all.

I think Hino knows more about Koguma than her friends do at this point. They are like 2 steps away from an actual relationship.

Img_20190418_023052-min
joined Mar 16, 2019

It's amazing to me how people can take fictional work so seriously.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It's called empathy and investment. If your story doesn't get those reactions it's no good.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It should be clear by now that I totally, totally agree with you—these two are completely adorable as well as completely into each other.

BUT. As I said earlier, part of the brilliance of this series is that it sends out these low-frequency signals that it’s much more serious and sexually fraught than it actually is. That’s mostly a combination of:

• Koguma being represented as extremely physically vulnerable, anxious, and reluctant in regard to Hino’s pranks. Which as we see here is all secondary to her real desire for Hino’s companionship. (Koguma is basically a little submissive tsundere.) And as far as the visuals go, other series as benign as Bloom into You or Kase-san are considerably more ecchi than this one.

• Hino’s performative lechery. If Hino talked like a fluffy chick instead of a delinquent Deadpan Snarker, everything she’s done would come off as standard-issue Cute Girls Doing Cute Things rather than the manipulations of a dirty old man:

“Kyaa—your panties are so cuuute!” “Let me put sunscreen on you—your skin is so smooth!” “Your photo album is so cuuute!” “Look, I made you a dress—c’mon, let’s try it on!!”

I’m sure Koguma will look adorable in it, too.

EDIT: New chapter—is there a Japanese (or English, for that matter) word for “world-class cute and significantly lewd”?

last edited at May 10, 2019 7:27AM

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Cool, new chapter

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Until Hino actually forces anything on Koguma I won't even start to worry.

Welp, she just checked out her underwear while she was sleeping so...

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

That lap pillow made me feel sleepy as well. Amazingly comfortable...

“Kyaa—your panties are so cuuute!” “Let me put sunscreen on you—your skin is so smooth!” “Your photo album is so cuuute!” “Look, I made you a dress—c’mon, let’s try it on!!”

I’m sure Koguma will look adorable in it, too.

And in any other story people would call that funny/cute and applaud her forwardness. Yuri can be such a beautifully double standard riddled genre~

last edited at May 10, 2019 7:35AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

And in any other story people would call that funny/cute and applaud her forwardness. Yuri can be such a beautifully double standard riddled genre~

Nah it'd still be gross and creepy in a different story. If anything it completely undermined and ruined a cute moment.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sometimes it seems to be “Stays Outside the Story” syndrome, aka “If This Were Real Life,” where everything is judged as if the reader were the character’s mom, or guidance counselor, or priest.

Other times it’s “Eeyore as Nostradamus” anticipatory dread, where panty-peeking is taken as a sign that the story is taking a turn toward rape.

Plato was right, of course—fiction presents all sorts of questionable behavior, and if we assume that stories serve primarily as models for human action, it’s probably best to just ban them all.

Aristotle had a rather different take on the matter, though . . .

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Nah it'd still be gross and creepy in a different story. If anything it completely undermined and ruined a cute moment.

I suppose the fact that she was sleeping makes it a tad more deplorable, but I have read plenty of stories where a girl flips another's skirt or comments on the color of her panties. When it has a comedic edge it loses its severity. Though it's always better to also give consequences to the offender (a la kick to the face or getting chased down the hallway etc.).

Plato was right, of course—fiction presents all sorts of questionable behavior, and if we assume that stories serve primarily as models for human action, it’s probably best to just ban them all.

I'm by no means one of those people who always say "It's just fiction, so it doesn't matter." In fact I hate that attitude. I care about this story and it's characters, so it does matter to me. Reading stories can and should be taken as seriously as any other hobby that objectively wouldn't matter. If you lose a Badminton match you'd be disappointed in the result, even if it literally doesn't affect the rest of your life. I think that separates something you truly care about from just something to kill time.

Bottom line is, stories do have a margin for questionable behaviour or plot points. What oversteps that line is subjective, but the way a story is portrayed/written makes the real difference. This manga portrays these interactions as light-hearted and playful, so that is the intention.

last edited at May 10, 2019 8:04AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Sometimes it seems to be “Stays Outside the Story” syndrome, aka “If This Were Real Life,” where everything is judged as if the reader were the character’s mom, or guidance counselor, or priest.

Other times it’s “Eeyore as Nostradamus” anticipatory dread, where panty-peeking is taken as a sign that the story is taking a turn toward rape.

How about you stop pretending people who don't think peeking at someone's underwear while they sleep is cute or funny or whatever are either hysterical puritans or irrational doomsayers? Also, bringing up Plato and Aristotle in a discussion about peeping in a pulpy yuri manga is so pretentious my eyes nearly rolled right out of my skull.

Img_20190418_023052-min
joined Mar 16, 2019

It's called empathy and investment. If your story doesn't get those reactions it's no good.

I understand that, but if you scroll up and read some comments you will see that some take the manga, a light-hearted comedy even, way too seriously. Some even talk as if it's real, those are the ones who amaze me.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Bottom line is, stories do have a margin for questionable behaviour or plot points. What oversteps that line is subjective, but the way a story is portrayed/written makes the real difference. This manga portrays these interactions as light-hearted and playful, so that is the intention.

But like portraying it as light-hearted and playful really just makes it worse to me because then the narrative treats it like it's fine and there's nothing really wrong with it. Like, the intention being for it to be perceived as light and playful doesn't magically mean that's how it will be perceived and it doesn't even mean that's how it should be perceived. Authorial intent does not dictate audience interpretation and reaction and I don't think it should.

To reply you must either login or sign up.