Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Feb 14, 2019

Literal translation: "For a while, I don't want to be together" (in a sense of being in the same place)

Sounds good (the double negative translation did look really awkward, I would have assumed it was a typo except for the defense).

Did a bit of reading up, I wasn't previously familiar with tai transformation verbs for desire... いたくない is transform from いる for negative desire I think (いる becomes いたい for desire then いたくない for negation)... with so much of the meaning (and word length) coming from conjugation Japanese can feel very dictionary un-friendly sometimes.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

So at a certain point, I just stopped caring what happened with any of the adults in this series and just hoped for the happiness of all the teenagers. I thought maybe the manga was doing that on purpose, showing the more hopeful nature of young love and the more dirty, complicated nature of adult love. But now the flashback is showing me that this dysfunctional relationship started when all the adults were teenagers, so I guess that shoots that theory in the foot.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

circamoore posted:
Did a bit of reading up, I wasn't previously familiar with tai transformation verbs for desire... いたくない is transform from いる for negative desire I think (いる becomes いたい for desire then いたくない for negation)... with so much of the meaning (and word length) coming from conjugation Japanese can feel very dictionary un-friendly sometimes.

Exactly. It's true figuring which word it is can be sometimes hard, but I think the biggest issue here was that word iru is really short and is in tier where you always remove "ru" and replace it with appropriate form, unlike where "ru" is part of conjugation. Normally "to want" is created by turning verb into "masu" form and then swapping "masu" for "tai", like iku, ikimasu, ikitai, which makes it easier to distinguish, but in case of iru, imasu, itai, it can be hard to notice at first glance.

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

As for her lying about meeting with Reiichi, I don't think we have enough information to know what's going on. It seems pretty unlikely they were actually having an affair, which raises questions about why she lied. Personally, I suspect pg. 21 might be the answer. The last time she pretended to be in a relationship with Reiichi it blew up in her face, so this time she wanted to pretend she had no contact with him whatsoever, so Kaoru wouldn't be mad at her. The idea that Kaoru might find out she was lying probably didn't even enter her head, assuming the whole thing wasn't entirely spur of the moment and it got any thought at all. After that, it was just more flailing when she got caught out.

A part of me wants to say she lied because she didn't want Kaoru to misunderstand and think something did happen between her and Reiichi but another part of me wants to say she's messing with her and is cheating with Reiichi. The part of me that believes the later keeps looking back to her conversation with Uta and her giving Uta Kaoru's phone knowing Kaoru would give it to her. Why lie when she knows Uta probably told Kaoru she got the phone from her?

Everyone in this story is unlikable and hopeless

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As for her lying about meeting with Reiichi, I don't think we have enough information to know what's going on. It seems pretty unlikely they were actually having an affair, which raises questions about why she lied. Personally, I suspect pg. 21 might be the answer. The last time she pretended to be in a relationship with Reiichi it blew up in her face, so this time she wanted to pretend she had no contact with him whatsoever, so Kaoru wouldn't be mad at her. The idea that Kaoru might find out she was lying probably didn't even enter her head, assuming the whole thing wasn't entirely spur of the moment and it got any thought at all. After that, it was just more flailing when she got caught out.

A part of me wants to say she lied because she didn't want Kaoru to misunderstand and think something did happen between her and Reiichi but another part of me wants to say she's messing with her and is cheating with Reiichi. The part of me that believes the later keeps looking back to her conversation with Uta and her giving Uta Kaoru's phone knowing Kaoru would give it to her. Why lie when she knows Uta probably told Kaoru she got the phone from her?

This is a Heisenbergian Manga Series:

Risako has no reason to hide her present relationship with Reiichi (which is why she casually informed Uta that she was present at Kaoru’s accident when returning the phone, knowing full well that Uta would inevitably tell Kaoru) AND she simultaneously does have a reason to hide her relationship with Reiichi (which is why she lied to Kaoru about never having seen Reiichi since the wedding).

As we have seen in this forum, which one is the case for any given reading depends on the position of the observer.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 9:41AM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Risako has no reason to hide her present relationship with Reiichi (which is why she casually informed Uta that she was present at Kaoru’s accident when returning the phone, knowing full well that Uta would inevitably tell Kaoru) AND she simultaneously does have a reason to hide her relationship with Reiichi (which is why she lied to Kaoru about never having seen Reiichi since the wedding).

As we have seen in this forum, which one is the case for any given reading depends on the position of the observer.

Side note: What do you mean by "Heisenbergian"? If you're referring to the physics principle, then you've used it wrong. Because in Heisenberg's principle, when you know one you can't know the other.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Side note: What do you mean by "Heisenbergian"? If you're referring to the physics principle, then you've used it wrong. Because in Heisenberg's principle, when you know one you can't know the other.

Well, right—since human beings are not theoretical concepts in physics, believing both things to be true about Risako simultaneously would be “cognitive dissonance.”

There’s a lot of that going around.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Well, right—since human beings are not theoretical concepts in physics, believing both things to be true about Risako simultaneously would be “cognitive dissonance.”

No, I mean if you wanted to make a reference that both things can be happening at the same time, you could use Schrödinger because it says what you described above.
I think it can actually apply in humans too. Like being happy and sad at the same time is possible for someone to feel.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 10:55AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

No, I mean if you wanted to make a reference that both things can be happening at the same time, you could use Schrödinger because it says what you described above.
I think it can actually apply in humans too. Like being happy and sad at the same time is possible for someone to feel.

Thank you for the correction regarding terminology. Any available conceptual apparatus for reconciling mutually exclusive possibilities will be extremely useful for readers of this series.

I look forward to seeing the author’s visual representation of Reiichi having an affair with Risako and Reiichi not having an affair with Risako simultaneously.

joined Jan 17, 2020

The real reason is that the story is crap but the author needs us to keep coming back for more.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 4:25PM

joined Sep 30, 2019

The real reason is that the story is crap but the author needs us to keep coming back for more.

Yagakimi thread is that way.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 5:27PM

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

Lol this made me laugh

joined Oct 22, 2018

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying here, but are you implying that YagaKimi is a crap story (to your taste at least)?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying here, but are you implying that YagaKimi is a crap story (to your taste at least)?

I would read it as, “If you want nothing to complain about, go that way.”

joined Dec 26, 2014

I would read it as, people who read yagakimi consider everything else crap

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The fact that that’s a lie is a mark against that reading.

joined Dec 26, 2014

The fact that that’s a lie is a mark against that reading.

Let me rephrase that.
Most people who read yagakimi......

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well, I've read YagaKimi (and it's my favourite yuri, lol), but I don't consider everything else crap. Partly because there are other great yuri manga I like, but partly because I also love non-yuri stuff, like a few popular fantasy or sci-fi universes, a good several high-quality mapping series or franchises, and, of course, the great and permanently unfinished story of history.
That said, I am planning to put some yuri in season 2 of the Alternate Distant Future of the World mapping series that I'm planning to make. Anyone want some spoilers? If yes, HMU over at Dynasty Cafe.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 6:15PM

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Raws for chapter 30 https://m.imgur.com/a/s6XcDYz
I'm really starting to not trust Reiichi and I still have my doubts about Risako. We'll have to wait for translations and what happens next to confirm things.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

At the beginning I had always thought Reiichi was a nickname Kaoru gave him rather than his actual name.

Without Uta or even kuro’s side story, it’s like bleh I don’t honestly care about your could be cheating drama.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Raws for chapter 30 https://m.imgur.com/a/s6XcDYz
I'm really starting to not trust Reiichi and I still have my doubts about Risako. We'll have to wait for translations and what happens next to confirm things.

Wow. Kaoru's circumstance is frickin sad :(

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Jesus Christ Karou's time in high school is pretty depressing.

joined Feb 14, 2019

At the beginning I had always thought Reiichi was a nickname Kaoru gave him rather than his actual name.

The kanji for his name are 怜一 怜 means wise - I can only assume it is ironic (一 (ichi/one) is fairly common for eldest sons).

Tumblr_opcu043p311w5vzweo1_250
joined Feb 18, 2019

I've just come to a realisation while reading the few last chapters (waited before reading them cuz thos cliffhangers are killing me) idk if anyone has come to this conclusion, or if it has been stated before, but I was quite proud of me lol.
What if the title of this series "my unrequited love" isn't about Uta not being able to reach kaoru, but karou that was never able to reach reiichi ...
Tbh I hope it's that so I can get my lewd yuri ending xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.