Forum › Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san discussion

Cirno
joined Jun 25, 2015

360 years ago from 2014? Edgar Allen Poe wasn't even a twinkle in his father's eye in the year 1654...

36x years is her age, not when she got the autograph

joined May 23, 2015

I love how Sophie treat blood like we treat beverages. So many ways to drink it!
Also, doesn't microwaving blood destroy the blood cells?

I don't know what exactly will happen if blood is microwaved, but I think it might be related to food sanitation issue. Well, I don't think that would be a big problem since she buys blood by online shopping. There might exist some kind of supply infrastructure that conveys freshly donated human bloods to end consumers like Sophie. Or she could drink blood extracted from animals other than human, like cow. I dunno. :)

I don't know how it works in Japan, but in the US blood collection and transfusion is a pretty huge deal from a legal and medical standpoint. You can't just hop on Amazon and order blood, even animals'.

Then again, the universe in the story has had vampires living cordially amongst humans for large portions of history, so maybe trade in blood is a little more lax over there. I kind of like to imagine Sophie and other vampires having some kind of federally-recognized blood consumption license.

You're all thinking way too hard about a series whose entire plot is basically just a series of lampshades.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

It's the internet. Of course people are going to overanalyze things that authors made up just for the giggles. :p

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

please why the sun thing always has to turn vampires to ash? Why cant they just have frail skin and deficiencies and get like cancer or heavy burns if they stay too long, which they could cut out or heal after some time anyway since theyre immortal.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Akira_YL posted:

please why the sun thing always has to turn vampires to ash? Why cant they just have frail skin and deficiencies and get like cancer or heavy burns if they stay too long, which they could cut out or heal after some time anyway since theyre immortal.

Wouldn't it be just easier to be unaffected by sun then? Like the classic vampires?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Akira_YL posted:

Wouldn't it be just easier to be unaffected by sun then? Like the classic vampires?

What's a classic vampire? Vampires have only a tenuous claim to origin in folk beliefs or whatnot. They're mostly a fiction thing. Serious popularization (although not origin, even fictional origin) pretty much starts from Stoker, so his rules would count as "classic" as much as any. And his vampires don't like the sun much.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Purple Library Guy posted:

Akira_YL posted:

What's a classic vampire? Vampires have only a tenuous claim to origin in folk beliefs or whatnot. They're mostly a fiction thing. Serious popularization (although not origin, even fictional origin) pretty much starts from Stoker, so his rules would count as "classic" as much as any. And his vampires don't like the sun much.

That is what I meant. The first depiction of vampires. And no. Stoker's Dracula didn't like sun and was weaker during daylight but wasn't turned to ash by it. He had no problem walking outside during day. Only later sunlight actually become deadly for vampires and it stuck. Originally it didn't kill them.

last edited at Sep 29, 2016 7:05PM

joined Aug 28, 2016

In fairness, vampires in this setting are apparently tough enough that getting their entire head disintegrated by sunlight is just an inconvenience...

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

I wonder where that "running water" weakness came from... I only see it in Japanese media, while western depiction only mention holy water at most.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

blopa posted:

I wonder where that "running water" weakness came from... I only see it in Japanese media, while western depiction only mention holy water at most.

I'm pretty sure there was western stuff that mentioned not being able to cross rivers as well. Don't remember where right now though, but I did hear about this weakness from western sources. Actually I think it is the first time I heard it mentioned in japanese tale of vampires.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

blopa posted:

I'm pretty sure there was western stuff that mentioned not being able to cross rivers as well. Don't remember where right now though, but I did hear about this weakness from western sources. Actually I think it is the first time I heard it mentioned in japanese tale of vampires.

Running water is from the west originally, folk tales would have them unable to cross running water because, like holy water, it was considered pure where the vampire itself was corrupt. Still, stagnant water, like swamps and stuff, often smelled bad, or "evil", so wouldn't have any effect. But you washed things in rivers, water below rapids was generally considered safer to drink, and so forth, therefore it was pure and in this case "good".

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

Fun fact: indoor plumbing was originally invented as an elaborate anti-vampire defense mechanism.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Akira_YL posted:

That is what I meant. The first depiction of vampires. And no. Stoker's Dracula didn't like sun and was weaker during daylight but wasn't turned to ash by it. He had no problem walking outside during day. Only later sunlight actually become deadly for vampires and it stuck. Originally it didn't kill them.

It was Orlok from Nosferatu who was the first Vampire to be killed by sunlight if I recall correctly

__atago_kantai_collection_drawn_by_unagimaru__599e7464aad069784080b95374e08f40%20(1)
joined Apr 1, 2014

I love this series. Cute and funny.

Nepu-nepu
joined Mar 24, 2015

Sophie plays KanColle?

joined Feb 6, 2016

Someone is getting jealous fufufu

joined Jun 30, 2015

blopa posted:

Running water is from the west originally, folk tales would have them unable to cross running water because, like holy water, it was considered pure where the vampire itself was corrupt. Still, stagnant water, like swamps and stuff, often smelled bad, or "evil", so wouldn't have any effect. But you washed things in rivers, water below rapids was generally considered safer to drink, and so forth, therefore it was pure and in this case "good".

Really? I heard stories about jiangshi being unable to cross running water (specifically rivers) due to them being dragon veins, therefore holding the energies anathema to the jiangshi. And jiangshi mythology have been floating around for a long, long while.

Iirc, there are some formulation of vampires or lifeforce eating demons from just about every culture you can think of.

last edited at Oct 15, 2016 12:37AM

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

It's kind of weird to see Yoko doting on Shino instead of Ayaya..oh wait, wrong series.

Ekl674ax0aa82gf
joined Jul 29, 2014

Sophie plays KanColle?

I think she's playing KanColle too, vampire admiral >v<

Images
joined May 22, 2014

Akira_YL posted:

It was Orlok from Nosferatu who was the first Vampire to be killed by sunlight if I recall correctly

Didn't vampires originally come from slavic mythology?

joined Feb 20, 2016

I'm loving this manga more with each chapter.

It's kind of weird to see Yoko doting on Shino instead of Ayaya..oh wait, wrong series.

Yoko and Shino were already friends long before they met Aya. In fact, during elementary school Yoko was asked by Isami to keep an eye on Shino. So, nope, Yoko doting on Shino is not weird at all.

joined Nov 3, 2016

Ammm i create a account only to ask this... from what manga is your display

Ako%20yandere%20mode
joined May 13, 2016

Vampire myths sprung up in different regions of Europe. There was a book I read that made a very compelling argument that vampire myths were an inscientific means of describing death by plague (since 'vampires' often killed their close relatives), decomposition, and corpses stirring from their grave (because corpses in shallow graves made noise due to bloating unless punctured i.e. staked).
There were also such stories among the medieval greeks in which breast milk was also a source of nutrients. See also Dracula "breastfeeding" Mina Harker.
I cannot recall for the life of me the name of this book. I recall the cover having an image of a side view of a stake being driven through the lid of a coffin and into a heart. I believe it was a brown paperback. Beyond that, I got nothing.

Found it. I knew it had an annoyingly generic title.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f1/6a/92/f16a9252e65b3f2e821d12cdd5e2a7c0.jpg

last edited at Nov 20, 2016 11:10AM

joined Dec 23, 2014

The updates here are lagged. There's like 30 chapters out so far.
MC = Shinobu(Kinmoza) v2

Kayo
joined Sep 9, 2016

This manga is so cute. Loved Hinata's nosebleed. :D

To reply you must either login or sign up.