Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

I'm probably the only person that actually liked the recent S6; I found my interest renewed in the series because of the scale and intensity of it, starting off with the battle for/of Alexandria, and the creeping feeling of knowing that Negan will eventually appear towards the end with his infamous character killing scene - I even liked the ending of S6 particularly for the reason that it'll give S7 a bang to start off, much like how S6 started with the eventual reunion of Morgan and Rick which I've been waiting since S5 showed him to be still alive. S7 and 8 will probably be the best seasons of TWD to come, considering Negan is like the most savage and bloodthirsty antagonist to ever appear in the series, his interactions and how his fate ties into Rick and Carl's should be interesting to watch.

Actually, I liked the recent pace of keeping characters alive and then killing them off once in a while, and the body count actually kept rising towards the end of S6 until Negan's arrival; every season having a few characters dying made it more impactful and shocking than having a constant stream and flow of death. Noah's death in S5 was unexpected, I know a couple of ppl that were shocked that Denise died, and depending on who dies in the S7 premiere, Glen's "death" early on in S6 could either be a final "Glen is Ultimate Luck" throw, or confirming that he is truly the luckiest character in TWD, cheating death so many times in a row.

Who do you think they killed in the last TWD episode?

If they really wanted a solid impact blow for S7 I think they should kill off Maggie, but TSDF already kinda proved that theory otherwise so they might just follow the comics and kill off Ultimate Luc- I mean Glen and another character for extra measure.

Also, I love the Zombie Genre, I find it to be something that is best enjoyed sparingly with a side of popcorns and shots on a cold friday night. Honestly zombie friction often falls under either a commentary on human darkness and Nietzsche's "becoming a monster yourself", or just end up being a mindless blood and gore fest like The Evil Dead; the first one in particular is what I enjoy about this genre the most because zombies are such an effective tool at highlighting the back-stabbing and despicable nature of humans while at the same time showing that true compassion exists even in situations where one's life is at risk. Or, in the case of TWD, it highlights that humanity must try to keep a balance between killing and showing compassion to others, and that being on either ends of the spectrum is detrimental to both themselves and everyone around.

Tbh though, I don't think the origins of zombies truly matter that much at all because they'll still follow the same conventions and tropes regardless; I think the insistance of virulent/infected zombies reflects society's fear of bio-terror warfare/terrorism. Train to Busan's immense popularity in Korea is especially due to the recent MERs outbreak and the growing dissent with the direction the country is going, along with the disturbingy accurate portrayal of the ruthlessness that some ppl will go to, towards the extent of putting others directly into harm's way just to save themselves.

Throughout the zombie cinematic history, the "zombie" has always been used to reflect on society's fears at that era of time; even way before George Romero became the god-father of the modern zombie, traditional vodoo zombie movies (1930s to 1968) often highlighted and capitalized on the fears of a rebellion amongst slaves against their masters, which is why most of the time the zombies before Romero were portrayed as black men killing their white masters, reflecting the time period that those films were made. The funny thing is, Romero never did state a definitive cause for the outbreak. There were hints that it was caused by a nuclear radiation leak scattered around NoTLD, but nothing was ever truly confirmed, he never even decided to call them zombies until the general public went along with it themselves. While I don't think there's a definitive way to pin-point where the infected-themed zombies came from, but I'd likely wager that the Biohazard series was one of the few entries that helped construct the modern zombie; even the zombie film released in Hong Kong during 1998, "Bio-Zombie" follows the convention of bio-chemically created zombies, with the film's "virus" being an experiment gone wrong.

The appeal and horror of zombies, in my books, is that they stand against the idea of progression; to become a zombie, means to revert to the most primal of creatures. Also, zombies represent the unexpected - to quote Max Brooks, paraphrasing, "You can choose not to go to the abandonned summer camp, you can choose not to go near a poisonous sting-ray, but you don't get to choose where a zombie apocalypse happens, they can appear right at your door", I think it is this element of unexpectedness that really ingrained the concept of a zombie apocalypse into the minds of people, that a single case of infection can easily turn into a full-on battle to the death.

Furthermore, zombies are one of the few creatures left in the horror genre that hasn't been corrupted by the "mainstream virus"; Vampires, while usually portrayed as sensual and seductive though violent and bloodthristy denizens of the night, had their image ruined just because someone merged vampires with some lame soap-opera and bought them into the "mainstream", same applies for werewolves. Zombies on the other hand, have remained relatively faithful to their conventions and have never really lost what made them popular back in the days, even films like "Warm Bodies" and "Shaun of the Dead" which are arguably mainstream zombie entries didn't tarnish their image and rather introduced more ppl into the genre - I think you'll be hard-pressed to see any generic Twillight fans who actually knows what a real Vampire is, but on the other hand, almost everyone will know what a zombie is even when they've never watched a single zombie film prior.

last edited at Oct 5, 2016 5:16PM

Sakamoto%20nichijou%20tissues-min
joined Jan 20, 2016

I'm just going to jump in with some random information. Did you guys know that there's a login bonus on the korean lezhin side? Also, they're also offering 10 coins to download their lezhin plus thing. (Basically from what I understand it allow you to see the 18+ stuff)

Has anyone read Pulse? It pretty good.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

^ Pulse? I seem to recall a yuri entry along the name of that but the only thing that comes to my mind is the J-Horror film...

That aside, I am starting intern work today and I just spent like 1 hr in like 4 am in the morning writing that ridiculously long essay-like post...priorities ^ _ ^

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 5:48PM

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Wait you are a.....les? (Sorry if i offend you)

Dude....

...What? I'm just curious, thats all. Not bad intentions, i swear.

I can't help but find this funny

I can't help but find this ridiculously stupid. If I was a mod on this site, the fucking banhammer would have been dropped the instant I saw this (which is one reason why I'm not a mod on this site).

Really ? You would've banned someone for asking if someone's a lesbian on a site ABOUT LESBIANS ? You must be fun at parties.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

You would've banned someone for asking if someone's a lesbian on a site ABOUT LESBIANS ?

Dynasty isn't a site about lesbians tho.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 5:56PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

You would've banned someone for asking if someone's a lesbian on a site ABOUT LESBIANS ?

A site about lesbian manga ( or the preferred term "Yuri Manga" ). But still, banning someone over something so simple as asking about there sexuality is pretty ridiculous If you ask me.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

... Wait, there are real lesbians here ? Can't believe such superior forms of existence exist outside of the yuri universe, stop lying guys.

I basically don't like Ratana Satis's works; I don't even read lily love so I'm not going pay to read Pulse. Read the first two free chapters, couldn't bring myself to like the doctor MC. Her art is really gorgeous though, maybe one day she'll draw something of my taste.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:29PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

A site about lesbian manga ( or the preferred term "Yuri Manga" ). But still, banning someone over something so simple as asking about there sexuality is pretty ridiculous If you ask me.

Dynasty isn't about lesbian manga, tho

joined Jun 11, 2016

^ A site about Scanlated ( and sometimes non-scanlated )Manga.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:31PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

... Wait, there are real lesbians here ? Can't believe such superior forms of existence exist outside of the yuri universe, stop lying guys.

I basically don't like Ratana Satis's works; I don't even read lily love so I'm not going pay to read Pulse. Read the first two free chapters, couldn't bring myself to like the doctor MC. Her art is really gorgeous though, maybe one day she'll draw something of my taste.

Is there any specific reason you don't like her ? Just asking.

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

^
Never said I didn't like her; I'm just not fond of her stories. Her works leave me kinda indifferent so.
well, I enjoyed Mentality, which is a prequel to pulse, and I really, really did hate Bridesmaid

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

So that's why it seems familiar, thanks lol.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:35PM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

I read Pulse. It's interesting. Nothing over the top drama or aangst. Perfectly going by my taste right now

joined Jun 11, 2016

@Utoptia
I despise bridesmaids to, But I just need to know the main reason your not fond of her stories.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:42PM

Johanliebert
joined Dec 15, 2015

@Utopia
I despise bridesmaids to, But I just need to know the main reason your not fond of her stories.

Her works leave me kinda indifferent so.

Which means I don't enjoy nor I dislike her stories, I just find them plain. Hope this reason will satisfy you.

@Ulquiorra

I can believe that, but the MC seems to be one hell of a player, and I do hate player. And again, if I pay for a yuri, I've got to be sure I'll enjoy it, otherwise it's a waste of money I'd rather spend to purcharse yuri I like in order to support their author. If one day, the masterpiece Pieta, Octave or Hanjuku Joshi are released in France, of if I find them in english in decent quality, I'd be sure to instabuy them.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 6:44PM

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Hello from Greece. Now I go to sleep.

94230567_p0_master1200~2
joined Dec 24, 2014

First day of work starting, hopefully this will be fun...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Wait you are a.....les? (Sorry if i offend you)

Dude....

...What? I'm just curious, thats all. Not bad intentions, i swear.

I can't help but find this funny

I can't help but find this ridiculously stupid. If I was a mod on this site, the fucking banhammer would have been dropped the instant I saw this (which is one reason why I'm not a mod on this site).

Really ? You would've banned someone for asking if someone's a lesbian on a site ABOUT LESBIANS ? You must be fun at parties.

I think it's more that they were rudely blunt about it, even if the recipient was nice about it and said it was okay.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

For the record, as face-palmy as the question was, I wasn't planning on banning anyone.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Can't believe such superior forms of existence exist outside of the yuri universe

You ARE in the yuri universe, you just haven't realized it yet

joined Jun 11, 2016

I think it's more that they were rudely blunt about it, even if the recipient was nice about it and said it was okay.

How were they rudely blunt ? They asked politely And they even apologized in advance.

Last-game-4122039
joined Mar 14, 2016

The "Wait you are a.....les?" was okay, but the "(Sorry if i offend you)" made a mistake.

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Speaking of shows that are too trigger happy with characters (a few hours ago, but oh well) I've been stuck on Stannis memes send help D:

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

The "Wait you are a.....les?" was okay, but the "(Sorry if i offend you)" made a mistake.

Can we all get over with it already? Geez, the person whom i asked it didn't mind it nor does the mod so no point in discussing now. Unless people like to waste their time on their kmpuny things.

last edited at Sep 13, 2016 10:35PM

UlquiorraSchiffer1
Download
joined Sep 6, 2016

@Ulquiorra

I can believe that, but the MC seems to be one hell of a player, and I do hate player. And again, if I pay for a yuri, I've got to be sure I'll enjoy it, otherwise it's a waste of money I'd rather spend to purcharse yuri I like in order to support their author. If one day, the masterpiece Pieta, Octave or Hanjuku Joshi are released in France, of if I find them in english in decent quality, I'd be sure to instabuy them.

I actually like that part. It shows that while being a player helps in sex but not always in love. If that makes some sense.....

I liked Girldfriends more than Octave tbh.

To reply you must either login or sign up.