Forum › Stretch discussion

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Actually, not half Finnish. A quarter. One Finnish grand-mother. Hence, blond hair.

Cause genetics totally work like that.

last edited at May 11, 2015 4:50AM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Actually, not half finnish. A quarter. One finnish grand-mother. Hence, blond hair.

Was this actually mentioned anywhere in the manga itself? I don't recall it at all.

Yes it was.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/stretch_ch10#8 for the finnish part.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/stretch_ch19#5 for the grandmother part.

Ah, thanks. I completely managed to forget about that. I should probably go reread the earlier chapters sometime soon.

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

Aw, I kind of like the way he draws Ran. She's very top heavy, and so her body is proportioned with that in mind. True hourglass figures are rare in real life, anyway.

Eh, I'm not really complaining but you can't deny the back and butt in this chapter look like they wandered straight out of one of his loli manga.

Not likely but they can.

last edited at May 11, 2015 8:52AM

Smollmboye
joined Sep 25, 2013

That naked backside...
If you draw too much loli you'll forget what grown up women look like, don't do it kids.

Keiko's got a booty, tho, iirc.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Not likely but they can.

No, not unless there is a mutation.

She needs blond on both sides of her family in order to get it to work, just like how red requires it as well, and blue eyes. Bruce Lee could have a son who was blond at birth precisely because he was quarter German.

EDIT: Not that I mind Shou stretching the reality of the situation, but I find it interesting he adds in that the blond hair is silkier and softer, which in my experience is true.

last edited at May 11, 2015 12:14PM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

She needs blond on both sides of her family in order to get it to work, just like how red requires it as well, and blue eyes. Bruce Lee could have a son who was blond at birth precisely because he was quarter German.

EDIT: Not that I mind Shou stretching the reality of the situation, but I find it interesting he adds in that the blond hair is silkier and softer, which in my experience is true.

So basically confirmed that Ran is at very least 3/8 Caucasian?

Anyway not entirely related. But read a post before pointing out how in Japanese media, there is still this trend considering how if a character with Japanese father/ grandfather, he/she is a Japanese with mixed foreign blood. But if a character has mother/ grandmother as Japanese, he/she's portrayed as a foreigner with some Japanese heritage. Sounded a bit sexist, but seemed to be true for my experiences with anime/manga characters. And seemed a bit true for Ran too

last edited at May 11, 2015 2:26PM

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

So basically confirmed that Ran is at very least 3/8 Caucasian?

Anyway not entirely related. But read a post before pointing out how in Japanese media, there is still this trend considering how if a character with Japanese father/ grandfather, he/she is a Japanese with mixed foreign blood. But if a character has mother/ grandmother as Japanese, he/she's portrayed as a foreigner with some Japanese heritage. Sounded a bit sexist, but seemed to be true for my experiences with anime/manga characters. And seemed a bit true for Ran too

Well Japan is still very chauvinistic, especially in comparison to most western nations, so such discrimination would likely be fairly common.

Love.live!.600.1492198
joined Sep 4, 2014

He. He. He.
http://screenshu.com/static/uploads/temporary/xe/g4/22/oi3xck.jpg

last edited at May 11, 2015 8:25PM

Akashic Records
Gray.garden.full.1907943.160.213
joined Sep 24, 2013

That naked backside...
If you draw too much loli you'll forget what grown up women look like, don't do it kids.

Aw, I kind of like the way he draws Ran. She's very top heavy, and so her body is proportioned with that in mind. True hourglass figures are rare in real life, anyway.

Also, we hit 100 pages. Nice.

Not necessarily a perfect figure, at least he should have put on a slight curves...

Anyway, I'd fall in love with myself if I were Ran...

062589fd3c9f5577a916b303e3c6c27f
joined Nov 16, 2013

Not likely but they can.

Genetic mutation isn't "genetics"? :P
Hair, eye colour etc are polygenic traits so you can't just go and apply Mendelian rules to them. Recent European intermingling isn't necessary for blonde hair traits to surface either, there are/were Asiatic ethnicities with light hair and eyes. Basically "life finds a way"...

princeinquisitor
joined Oct 28, 2014

Today goes on sale the third volume and is now available in several stores like Amazon, Honto, CDJapan, etc. As usual Comic ZIN give an illustration as a bonus for shopping at their stores.

Comic ZIN Bonus

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

Comic ZIN Bonus

very cute <3

Billportrait
joined Jan 17, 2014

she is looking at Keikos child \believe

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

Not likely but they can.

Genetic mutation isn't "genetics"? :P
Hair, eye colour etc are polygenic traits so you can't just go and apply Mendelian rules to them. Recent European intermingling isn't necessary for blonde hair traits to surface either, there are/were Asiatic ethnicities with light hair and eyes. Basically "life finds a way"...

Polygenic just mean that the genes in question work in an additive way, rather than a dominant and recessive way. Which, if anything, should make Ran's light hair even more unlikely.

Your (actually you probably already know this but I'm going to say it anyway) hair colour is determined by melanin or more specifically, by a type melanin called eumelanin. As we established above, eumelanin (or more specifically the genes which control its production) operates on additive principles, rather than Mendelian ones. Now lets say there are six genes which determine hair color, that Ran gets her Finnish ancestry from her mothers side of the family and that these genes are represented as Cc, with C representing high levels of eumelanin production-and thus dark hair-and c representing lower levels, which should obviously lead to lighter hair.

So her grandfather is presumably a light haired Finn with the genes CCcccc or Cccccc, while her grandmother was a dark haired Asian woman, who should have the genes CCCCCC.

Now Ran's mother would receive half of each of these sets. Most likely she would get something like CCCccc or CCCCcc, giving her intermediate brown hair. As you have probably already figured out, this means that if Ran's mom married a Japanese man (as she presumably did, as Ran is supposed to be 1/4 Finnish) then the best possible combination Ran could have is CCCccc like her mother, giving the same intermediate brown hair.

But what if Ran's grandmother had unusually light hair for a Japanese women, something like CCCCcc and her daughter, Ran's mother, inherited Cccccc? Well then Ran's mom likely did have blonde hair but its still unlikely Ran would have blonde hair also as Ran's father was still Japanese meaning Ran would once again end up with, at best, CCCccc, as its unlikely he too would have such light hair, as any hair colour other than "pitch black" is pretty rare amongst East Asians, especially amongst men (men of any ethnicity typically have darker skin and hair colours than their female counterparts). However, if he did have light hair color, it is possible that Ran could end up with something like dirty blonde or at the very least very light brown hair.

So, long story short, Ran being blonde, while possible, is extremely unlikely.

As for your statement of some Asian ethnicities having blonde hair, you are correct but said ethnicities are located in the Middle East/West Asia and central Asia, not East Asia like Japan. There are Melanesian cultures who have blonde hair as well but said blondness comes from entirely different genetics, more specifically, from an amino acid change in a specific gene which does not exist in any other ethnic group on the planet.

last edited at May 12, 2015 3:39PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

Eww, science. Satan is the only knowledge we need, HE made Ran's hair the way it is.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

well, Ran may still simply dye her hair to get them from dirty blonde/light brown to blonde
and she's too beautiful on the 3rd volume cover...

last edited at May 12, 2015 4:11PM

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Eww, science. Satan is the only knowledge we need, HE made Ran's hair the way it is.

This explanation is enough for me.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

No Satan only give redhead to us ginger people, he doesn't care for blond. Blond hair gives souls, that's heresy :o

last edited at May 12, 2015 4:59PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

No Satan only give redhead to us ginger people, he doesn't care for blond. Blond hair gives souls, that's heresy :o

How darest thou insinuate Satan does not despise all his minions equally! We are all equally pathetic in our holy Lords eyes, whether we have souls or not; regardless of our natural revulsion for those with the unnaturally coloured hair of red. Blessed Satan is above that.

How else wouldst thou explain Ran's hair? With a heretical God? With the lies of science? No Trafi, our holy light is responsible for all things in this world, we must accept this in our reverence of him.

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

You're in denial my dear, our lord do despise all the lowly minions equally but only us soulless being are a tiny step ahead, the fire hairs and the revulsion we inspire are proof.

Ran's hair must be some cheap trick of the fraud that is god in order to be recognized. We can concede that the old man does vainly try... poor guy

last edited at May 12, 2015 5:49PM

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

You're in denial my dear, our lord do despise all the lowly minions equally but only us soulless being are a tiny step ahead, the fire hairs and the revulsion we inspire are proof.

Ran's hair must be some cheap trick of the fraud that is god in order to be recognized. We can concede that the old man does vainly try... poor guy

Call it jealousy then that I do so believe that in our dreaded masters depths, cor serpentis, that he does so hate me as much as the grotesque of red hair, who do so have the luxary of flaunting his greatness's wrath for them to all.

It must then be our Lord Terrible's wish that Ran has more suitable hair, if it is some heretical beings wish for her to be blonde. Pink should suffice his malice.

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

HAIL SATAAAAAAAN!!!

ChocolateCakeLover
Gigi7
joined Feb 4, 2015

HAIL SATAAAAAAAN!!!

He is our dark and shining light.

Also, feel pride that you can say "My 100th post was hail Satan." It is truly a great thing.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

sowwy guys, but she'll come to punish you

Commandershepard13
joined Mar 24, 2014

HAIL SATAAAAAAAN!!!

He is our dark and shining light.

Also, feel pride that you can say "My 100th post was hail Satan." It is truly a great thing.

Indeed it is. My pride feelz are at maximum.

To reply you must either login or sign up.