Forum › Dandelion Among Lilies discussion

Bayonettamachinekill
joined Apr 8, 2013

That Ena girl is hoot! And the story is kind of realistic! Yeah my boyfriend! L_L; you mean your grilfriend xD such a sweet dramatic story..wonder what will happen next.

last edited at Jun 16, 2013 10:18AM

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

The mood changed a lot from chater 1 to 2. The interesting part is that it's not entirely due to the story going forward, but the setting and characters seem to have changed a little bit to make it feel gloomier.

last edited at Jun 16, 2013 10:49AM

joined Jun 11, 2013

Gosh, this manga really is something... Ena-san, I don't think you're just going to work...!

Photo1
joined Feb 11, 2013

Somebody!!! Anybody!!! Bring more limbs to sell!!!
I got addicted to this fast.

Excuse me, but is your group planning to translate ch19 - 56 of Poor Poor Lips?

Original plan was to finish what JManga started, so probably not. Might consider it if Kawaii's release schedule starts trending to eternity.

joined May 31, 2013

The level of detail of the drawing style is bordering obsession. Look at those elaborate clothing designs for example. This looks good.

Strangely though black hair is kinda haphazerdly drawn, yet ena has very well drawn hair. chapter two was great tough the sister is having more of a homophobic response then chapter 1 would have had me believe.

Tumblr_mpynm4dyml1qjj8e7o1_400
joined May 24, 2013

ARE MY DREAMS CRUSHED!!!!!!!?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 argh i wanted the younger sister to be NTRING with ena but no. it's not gonna happen. Ugh does this mean she's straight im gonna stick my head up a cows butt ugh ok. Will she not become trying out girls thing :((((((((((((((

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

The art is superb, the character expression and design are really charming. The story is really compelling. Just chapter 2 and i already fear its ending (and i won't be able to read it anymore)

I don't think the younger sister so much homophobic as angry at how her sister was stolen away. If it was a man, then she can't compete. But to another girl...

69c76a90jw1exw6rq32l5j215o1jkwwc
joined Jun 1, 2013

Older sister didn't give much more details on her answer.. but younger sister why asked such question with an attitude '___'
Ena what were you doing >'<
if the younger sister keeps acting this way, she'd probably the dandelion between two lilies.

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

i dont know about japan but asian countries usually have more tolerance towards homosexuality. i'm from one and we are pretty chill about it.

joined May 31, 2013

i dont know about japan but asian countries usually have more tolerance towards homosexuality. i'm from one and we are pretty chill about it.

From my experience it seems to be the case, so long as you don't make a big scene about it or talk about it publically. I can't help but wonder why this story is told from the sisters POV, i think it would be 2x better if it was more from Ena's POV.

joined Apr 9, 2013

Really? To my knowledge it's usually the opposite. From what I know and experienced, homosexuality is a subject that's not really talked about or if it is is taken as something that is negative or is a joke (ex. Are you gay?). But, relationships with friends of the same gender are super close and physical (ex. hand holding, sitting on each others laps <-- even for boys, bathing, etc). Which part of asia are you from? It's a pretty big place. lol. Im speaking from the perspective of someone from a country that is A.) purty close to japan and B.) close to a country that threatens to turn mine into a sea of fire....which country am i from?

Logo-ubuntu_st_no%c2%ae-white-hex
joined Apr 23, 2013

South Korea, of course. If you hadn't said you're close to Japan I'd have bet on India.
From my friends' experiences in the country, it seems that Koreans are huge on busybody behavior... is gossiping some kind of national sport there?

Back on the topic, from what I've read, it seems that the "homosexuality as a teenage phase" is a very widespread thought.

last edited at Jun 18, 2013 8:05AM

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

who knows it might turn out to be more of a sister-comnplex situation, well that's what I want at least :)

...I'm all for sister-complex, more so than Kanae falling for Ena. That would just be plain awful for Mizuho ;___; Unless this ended up having a polygamy ending.

joined Apr 9, 2013

WRONG Logseman!!! jk that was a pretty easy question. huh.

busybody....do you mean how age, marital status, appearance, and weight are all immediate conversation topics among complete strangers? This leads to fun experiences such as my doctor who is an old korean woman (it's always the old korean women) tell me I'm fatter than I look. -__- at least they're honest

But from what I learned and read in manga(yeah i'm definitely cultured), homosexuality in Japan seems to be a big nono, correct me if i'm wrong. I've always thought that asians in general were uber conservative on this topic. Which tolerant asian countries are some of you guys talking about?

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I've heard that it's pretty tough being gay in Japan, even though there are districts like Shinjuku Ni-chōme. But you'd definitely not want to be too public about it in most Asian countries.

I kinda felt heartbroken seeing Ena silently watch Mizuho get on the bus. Personal experience, maybe?

Anyway, thanks Binbou scanlations! :)

1362775739_1966_lion
joined May 10, 2013

There was a study on "coming out of the closet" to one's family in Asian countries. The funny thing is, nobody is actually coming out of the closet. The closet gets bigger so those people can come inside. HAHAHAHA. In other words, all your relatives would like to keep your homosexuality a secret.

I don't think Asian countries are any more open to homosexuality than others, but there is one thing that comes to mind.... Vietnamese people are generally accepting or at least understanding towards gay men (acceptance for being born that way), but they view lesbians as sick/mentally afflicted women. I think something similar like that happens in the Philippines, too.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I think being an English speaker in any Asian country (maybe not India) damages one's perspective on these things a bit. When I lived in China the people I work with and know are all people who were already exposed to western culture and ideology. So they tend to be more understanding of these kind of things. Many of them spoke almost perfect English despite never taking classes outside of China.

On the other hand, there are many stories about homophobia that even makes the news sometimes. I suppose it's all about what kind of people you know.

last edited at Jun 21, 2013 4:42PM

joined Jul 8, 2013

The third chapter...just what? Ena...she's kind of an idiot, isn't she? She left a note that made it sound like she'd be back soon, like leaving breakfast in the frigde and everything. So, why would anybody be concerned about a note like that? Why would she freak out and come running after you? If I read a note like that from my girlfriend, who's living with me, I'd just be like, "Oh, she must've gone grocery shopping." So, what exactly was Mizuho supposed to do? Run out after her thinking something like, "Oh, God! She's grocery shopping!?!? I have to stop her before she buys those low calorie cookies with no flavor! Doesn't she know that Chips Ahoy is the best!?!?"

The third chapter...just what? Ena...she's kind of an idiot, isn't she? She left a note that made it sound like she'd be back soon, like leaving breakfast in the frigde and everything. So, why would anybody be concerned about a note like that? Why would she freak out and come running after you? If I read a note like that from my girlfriend, who's living with me, I'd just be like, "Oh, she must've gone grocery shopping." So, what exactly was Mizuho supposed to do? Run out after her thinking something like, "Oh, God! She's grocery shopping!?!? I have to stop her before she buys those low calorie cookies with no flavor! Doesn't she know that Chips Ahoy is the best!?!?"

Or they work together and it's implied she ditched work all day...

joined Jul 8, 2013

You guys, I am happy to inform you that I don't think this series is going towards the netorare ending (or at the very least, I have found evidence that says otherwise). The title of the series is "Dandelion Among Lilies" and the lilies in the title would be the lesbians since the Japanese word for lilies is yuri and well we all know what other things yuri refers to. The dandelion part implies somebody different, which would have to be the little sister who is straight. So the whole point of the series is about a straight girl living with a couple of lesbians and whatever other troubles they may have going on with their lives. If somebody has read the raws and knows otherwise, feel free to correct/warn me so I can drop this before the disappointment.

I don't know about you guys but when I realized this I was extremely relieved because I was planning on dropping this series into a fiery volcano at the first sign of netorare. I'm so tired of that bullshit genre. It's gross, stupid, and, frankly, I don't understand it. If you want multiple partners then just don't get a girlfriend. IT REALLY IS NOT THAT COMPLICATED! Seriously, if these characters realize that they are becoming attracted to other people, then I wish they would just wait the ten minutes to one whole day it would take to break up with the person they were currently dating. I think their private areas could survive one day by theirselves.

joined Jul 8, 2013

Or they work together and it's implied she ditched work all day...

Nonetheless, what Ena was expecting was a bit of an overreaction, isn't it? Isn't it more likely that her bus broke down or she got caught in traffic and her cellphone died? Or maybe she just ditched work like you said. Are you telling me that there has never been a day where you just didn't feel like going to school or work? Or maybe it was a weekend and Ena had errands to run that she didn't tell Mizuho about? Who would immediately jump to the conclusion that they ran away from their job, home, and life over a broken heart when they didn't even realize that there was a problem with the relationship to begin with? Not to mention that she's not a child. Ena is a grown woman who can take care of herself. If she had disappeared overnight as well, then maybe I would be concerned that Mizuho don't care about her. Either way, my overall point is that, Ena didn't really leave any evidence for Mizuho to be concerned too much. There are a near endless amount of more logical assumptions that one would jump to based on everything that was seen.

last edited at Jul 23, 2013 5:24AM

Whoa, settle down there. You're getting quite worked up to be posting all that.

230px-ray_the_animation
joined Feb 2, 2013

You guys, I am happy to inform you that I don't think this series is going towards the netorare ending

sorry for the ignorance, what's netorare ?

i like this manga, it's good to read about OL couple, or adult couple, instead of always school-girls

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

By the time Ena get home, i think it has passed 12 mid-night (based in the clock). So i guess Ena expected "not getting home till mid night + didn't pick up call" should have gotten Mizuho worked up.

I don't understand the first few events through. Ena helped Mizuho to clean up the places? They exchanged gift? I means the two events kinda showed how awkward Mizuko in the relationship, and i guess she is a bit too carefree and insensitive. Did i miss anything?

You guys, I am happy to inform you that I don't think this series is going towards the netorare ending

sorry for the ignorance, what's netorare ?

i like this manga, it's good to read about OL couple, or adult couple, instead of always school-girls

Well most people don't understand netorare and constantly missed it up with cheating through. Like the original post

Netorare (ntr) is simply on a 3rd party (C) find her way into a happy couple (A&B), then forcefully steal B from A. It reaches climax when later on, B was mistreated badly, and has a clear opportunity to return back to A, but ended up refuse to ("I can't live without C anymore").

The genre is simply to evoke audiences' rage, at how incompetent A is, how stupid B is, and how devious C is.

last edited at Jul 23, 2013 6:47AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.