Forum › Image Comments (September 2024)

Areyougonnatouchem-17sq
joined Jan 27, 2019
Solllolll-1691324994675245056-img1

It is some of both. Mia's not particularly tall — at 156cm she's the same height as Yu or Yoshiko — but she is a year younger than Rina; meanwhile, Rina is the shortest girl in the franchise at 149cm, a full five centimeters shorter than Nico.

(The next ones up from Rina are Rurino at 151cm, Hanamaru and Natsumi at 152cm, and Leah at 153cm; Tsubasa, Ruby, and Setsuna are all the same height as Nico.)

To put her height in further perspective, if Rina were over in Idolmaster Cinderella Girls, she'd qualify for the spinoff that's all elementary school girls.

Cute-love-tiny-version
joined Oct 13, 2012
7ewlhuf

such a joyful moment! ~<3

Screen%20shot%202022-10-24%20at%208.03.03%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2017
Gwzjrn2aoaa3z7i-orig

^ In the show, it's finally summer, meaning the students are now in their summer outfits. Anko just made a whole tangent about how sexy Kositan is in her summer outfit (including showing her armpits) and how horny it makes her. Two students make comments about it, with one being how "close" they are and the other being the quote above

last edited at Sep 4, 2024 9:46AM

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017
__twilight_sparkle_and_trixie_lulamoon_my_little_pony_and_1_more_drawn_by_rex_k__6acada40b86212553a68ddc80279c04b

The GREAT AND POWERFUL TRRRRRRRIXIE is best pony human

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017
Akaga204-1758510284090781747-img1

Drinking Yuri straight from the source

Bbdc0419e38b238dedd03df55fae45ce
joined Jul 21, 2024
Gcuwtlgakaapwna-orig

This pairing is worthy of a army salute

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016
__twilight_sparkle_and_trixie_lulamoon_my_little_pony_and_1_more_drawn_by_rex_k__6acada40b86212553a68ddc80279c04b

^^ Because Enemies to Lovers is a really popular trope and for a long time everyone thought that Trixie was a Tsundere and her hater energy was sexual tension. Then in the final season Trixie finally came back as an actual proper main character and it turns out she wasn't a Tsundere, just a Tsun. No sexual tension, just actual tension.

When she said she hated Twilight she wasn't lying. At the very least she was funny about it so it actually made her more popular for a brief stint.

joined Jul 22, 2014

Cheers for the info.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016
Gwqfh_xxsaakpnk-orig

Only on Dynasty can one of the most vanilla types of sex a person could have be a hotly debated topic lmaooooo. Never change ya'll, never change.

Fun Fact: I commissioned this art! Thank you Gyger for drawing it and thank you Dynasty for posting it!

646c0aaafb057a6db14ec06bae9b7497
joined Dec 26, 2021
Gvvly3abwaa9qby-orig

So as for the term Han meaning Kingdom. I will admit that I originally stumbled on this when reading some historian-reddit, where the question about the meaning of Han in the name of South Korea was asked. (See https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/8xlnmj/why_do_koreans_call_themselves_han_daehan/)
I don't speak Korean, so I will also admit to having no personal experience with this word. However, the Three Kingdoms reference seems to check out, at least according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_of_Korea
See also the article for the names of Korea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Korea#Han

Sadly, it's hard to check this further, because the sources are... in Korean. Either way, the usage of the word Han in reference to Kingdoms may have waned, since the Three Kingdoms era took place around the time when the term Han first appeared in China.

As for the Han being an older described ethnic group than anything in Europe... I mean, I understand the point you are making and I didn't want to suggest that Han is not a valid descriptor. I just dislike the way the Chinese state is currently wielding it. That said, literally the first two groups I could think of, that being the Franks and the Basque people, are older than that term.

I didn't want to stir up trouble mind you. I just saw the claim that Koreans are Han and having been to Korea thought that they probably wouldn't like to be called Han. So I started digging a little bit. I am by no means an expert and am likely wrong on a lot of this.

PS: There are groups of humans that are believed to be diminutive due to Insular dwarfism. In particular there are a few 'uncontacted peoples' for which people suspect that this is true (see the Sentinelese). They may just also simply be short for different genetic reasons or because these groups are small this may be an outlier measurement unrelated to insular dwarfism. But Japan is way too big for this to be the deciding factor. If something like this is the reason, then it would have to be because of a general lack of nourishment in the area, which I think hasn't really been a problem in Japan.

PPS: I am moving to Korea soon and my Korean boss there is history-obsessed. So I will try to get him to explain this to me and report back. Then at least we will have it from the horse's mouth so to say.

last edited at Sep 4, 2024 4:03PM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023
7ewlhuf

That hot spring trip was fun...well until it wasn't lol. But Toriko staring hard at Sorawo and flustering her was enjoyable.

joined Apr 10, 2021
Gvvly3abwaa9qby-orig

That said, literally the first two groups I could think of, that being the Franks and the Basque people, are older than that term.

The basque are certainly an exception to many things. But who exactly are the "Franks" now? The french? From 524 AD perspective to the modern day, they are franks, and also bretons, burgundians, occitans and (later on) vikings. Franks are also german, and some others.
But again, this isn't really important and doesn't undermine the fact koreans aren't chinese and wouldn't love being told that, most of them.. I just wanted to catch on to something since I don't talk with people a lot outside my "job"-role :|

a general lack of nourishment in the area, which I think hasn't really been a problem in Japan.

I think it has, for a very long time - not too much protein available to people, I remember reading something in reddit/askhistorians about how utterly miserable japanese peasant diet was in the medieval ages (even compared to contemporary peasants in Europe) and even in WW1 and WW2 times this was still causing issues to them. They tried to find out in WW1 times why all their naval lower men were sick all the time with their mono-rice diet.

But I'm not sure if that actually affects anything about modern time height.

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020
Gws4g4xbqaa3bn1-orig%20(1)

Under the desk we flourish Part 2.

last edited at Sep 4, 2024 5:13PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017
Gmeasy4byaacfi_-orig

Kinda looks like Houseki no Kuni

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023
Gmeasy4byaacfi_-orig

^Ugh it does and I want a season 2 so bad!

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014
Gmeasy4byaacfi_-orig

the use of negative space here goes crazy

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023
Gvvly3abwaa9qby-orig

First things first, Koreans refer to their own ethnicity as 한민족 (Hanminjog) where 족 simply means "clan", afaik. The full name of the Republic of Korea is 대한민국 (Daehanmingg); as that reddit post you linked mentioned, 대 simply means "great" (i.e. a 학생 is a student, a 대학생 is a university student, etc.) and 국 means ... probably not exactly "land" (as 약국 is a pharmacy where 약 is "medicine") but is a general term relating to territory with nuances that are probably untranslatable.

Now this send me down a rabbit hole on figuring out where that "han" came from. The english Wikipedia entry lacks citations about its etymology, so I went to the french one which offers a different explanation, arguing it might stem from the title "Khan" (as well as 하늘, "sky", which I kinda doubt). Accepting that I have to bite the sour apple I tried my luck with ko.wikipedia.org and found that they put the etymology either on "Khan" or on the meaning of "central" that 한 can have. They also note that 韓 has been used in both China and Korea in the name of various kingdoms.

Anyhow, I think it is pretty clear that Koreans refer to themselves as Han, but that mustn't mean they see themselves as chinese. Ethnic terms are always politically charged, and a shared etymology does not mean they identify as another. (Circling back to the Franks example, I myself am sandwiched between the Franks from France and the Franks from Bavaria in a near-rhine region that doesn't consider itself "frank", but rather swabian/alemannic.) "Dutch" and "Deutsch" share an etymology, yet are different (at least by self-perception). And don't get me started on America's indigenous people being "indians".

TL;DR: Koreans may or may not be Han, depending on what you mean with that term. Who would have thought that ethnicities could be such a touchy topic? Definitely looking forward to your boss' take on this.

PS: Handy map on avg. body height

last edited at Sep 6, 2024 9:02AM

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023
Gwqfh_xxsaakpnk-orig

I've seen that debate too many times and just wonder why people never figure that it might be up to personal preference? Like, ask hetero women what their prefered positions are, and you'll find great variance too. It depends on what the couple enjoys most, which is partly also dependent on anatomy.

joined Jan 6, 2017
Gvvly3abwaa9qby-orig

The 국 in 한국 and 약국 are both from different Middle Chinese loan words and don't share any etymological background
In 한국 it stems from 國 (pronounced kwok) and in 약국 it comes from 局 (pronounced gjowk).

Rdt_20231028_1721378518941206177079692
joined Mar 12, 2023
Sgmobile-1755728155065676060-img1

^^ SG Mobile have monthly events and it was probably used as the banner for it

Rdt_20231028_1721378518941206177079692
joined Mar 12, 2023
Sgmobile-1755728155065676060-img1

^^ SG Mobile have monthly events and it was probably used as the banner for it

joined Aug 28, 2024
80302601_p3

Based crack ship

joined Aug 28, 2024