Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

How can you reread the story, take into consideration the extra pictures we got during breaks depicting their future and STILL say this is not a romance story? Reading her interviews I got the impression that she just don't really like the label "yuri", not that this wasn't romance.

Narita: I'm more into witnessing romance unfold (aya x mitsuki / joe x Kanna).
Some readers: NOOOO this is bait, the author wasted 2 years of our lives, we should riot!

Because they are EXTRAS - not part of the main story.

You act like people are crazy for clicking on something with the YURI TAG and wanting YURI

This is just straight up not yuri past like part of the way through volume 2, and has no sign of going back to that. And if it’s true, apparently the author said herself it’s not a yuri so why does it still have the yuri tag and not subtext or side lesbian couple (forget that one tag)

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

How can you reread the story, take into consideration the extra pictures we got during breaks depicting their future and STILL say this is not a romance story? Reading her interviews I got the impression that she just don't really like the label "yuri", not that this wasn't romance.

Some readers: NOOOO this is bait, the author wasted 2 years of our lives, we should riot!

You act like people are crazy for clicking on something with the YURI TAG and wanting YURI

This is just straight up not yuri past like part of the way through volume 2, and has no sign of going back to that. And if it’s true, apparently the author said herself it’s not a yuri so why does it still have the yuri tag and not subtext or side lesbian couple (forget that one tag)

There are hints of romance sure, but they’ve become so subtle now that you have to squint, and in volume 1 entirely different beast we’re dealing with. I just don’t think it warrants the tag, I think it’s misleading and rude to fans who come for actual yuri

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

There are hints of romance sure, but they’ve become so subtle now that you have to squint, and in volume 1 entirely different beast we’re dealing with. I just don’t think it warrants the tag, I think it’s misleading and rude to fans who come for actual yuri

joined Aug 12, 2022

I understand not everyone enjoys slow burn stories. If you don't like the story anymore that's ok. but asking others not to read this anymore is indeed crazy.

We all have our preferences, what you are considering a blasphemy is for others normal, and realistic. I myself mostly use the "shoujo ai" tag when I'm looking for new things to read because "Yuri" from experience would make all the smut and erotica appear, maybe that's what she meant when she said this wasn't Yuri.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I understand not everyone enjoys slow burn stories. If you don't like the story anymore that's ok. but asking others not to read this anymore is indeed crazy.

We all have our preferences, what you are considering a blasphemy is for others normal, and realistic. I myself mostly use the "shoujo ai" tag when I'm looking for new things to read because "Yuri" from experience would make all the smut and erotica appear, maybe that's what she meant when she said this wasn't Yuri.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure when she says she doesn't consider it yuri, she means that she isn't pandering to the crowd that wants eroticized gayness with loads of fanservice. She wants to keep it toned down and closer to the way she believes people would actually behave

joined Apr 10, 2023

The idea that yuri is inherently sexual or erotic is a thing Western comics fans made up like 15 years ago, it's not a thing in Japanese. There's been a handful of different authors who say they dislike the label but not because it's sexual but because it's a specific genre with conventions and fans with annoying expectations, as we're seeing live in this very thread.
Also the idea that Arai would dump her intentions and interests for a paycheck with this series that's been an act of love and passion for most of its run is just cynical and kinda insulting. What reason has she given you to directly attack her character like this? And it doesn't even make sense for the corporations to ask her to make it not gay, because they have enough sense to realize that if their attachment to a piece of media ruins it people will hate them instead of like them. Nobody likes it when you kill the golden goose.

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Yeah, I'm pretty sure when she says she doesn't consider it yuri, she means that she isn't pandering to the crowd that wants eroticized gayness with loads of fanservice. She wants to keep it toned down and closer to the way she believes people would actually behave

Her overuse of tropes and poor characterization of most of the side characters makes me believe she doesn't want to depict real behavior, but yeah this is still a bait and switch manga. I don’t care if others read it I am just warning those who skim comments before reading that it is not yuri

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

The idea that yuri is inherently sexual or erotic is a thing Western comics fans made up like 15 years ago, it's not a thing in Japanese. There's been a handful of different authors who say they dislike the label but not because it's sexual but because it's a specific genre with conventions and fans with annoying expectations, as we're seeing live in this very thread.

Yeah, that is more in line with what she actually said during that older interview. I don't know where this idea that "yuri" implies sexual content comes from. "Yuri" is what's generally used for everything. Ironically, "Shoujo Ai" is a unique tag that I don't think is interchangeable and if I understand its usage correctly (since I never used it myself), is the more sexually charged term in Japan. Someone can correct me.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:30PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

I have no idea why those older fans coined "shoujo ai," it's a completely fake term. They took the words for girl and love and mashed them together, meanwhile in Japanese they actually use the borrowed English "Girls Love" lmao. Those weebs were trying to be more Japanese than the Japanese I guess. No idea why they wanted to divide yuri up on those arbitrary lines instead of just using a second goddamn tag to indicate content. Best thing about Dynasty by far is the complex tag system.

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Who said anything about sex? Strawman city

It’s about wanting romance/lesbian content as a lesbian, and not dragging fans along through volumes of no relationship progress so they can plug uninteresting dude chars and make money off cds. At the end of the day consume what you desire but I will always criticize crooked stuff. I don’t care if it’s nsfw, could give less shits

I just don’t enjoy the bait and switch from an interesting romancing to a slow burn with all these chars idgaf about that are trope after trope copy and pasted from other mangas. Maybe I’m just expecting too much

Great convo tho salute

joined Apr 10, 2023

Yeah, that is more in line with what she actually said during that older interview. I don't know where this idea that "yuri" implies sexual content comes from. Ironically, "Shoujo Ai" is a unique tag that I don't think is interchangeable and if I understand its usage correctly, is the more sexually charged term in Japan. Someone can correct me.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard multiple people say the phrase "shoujo ai" in Japanese has lolicon vibes to it. What I am confident in is that it's not an actual genre name or commonly used tag.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Who said anything about sex? Strawman city

It’s about wanting romance/lesbian content as a lesbian, and not dragging fans along through volumes of no relationship progress so they can plug uninteresting dude chars and make money off cds. At the end of the day consume what you desire but I will always criticize crooked stuff. I don’t care if it’s nsfw, could give less shits

I just don’t enjoy the bait and switch from an interesting romancing to a slow burn with all these chars idgaf about that are trope after trope copy and pasted from other mangas. Maybe I’m just expecting too much

Great convo tho salute

We weren't strawmanning you, we were ignoring you and talking about something someone else said. The stuff you're saying isn't really worth responding to. Sorry for the confusion :)

joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, that is more in line with what she actually said during that older interview. I don't know where this idea that "yuri" implies sexual content comes from. Ironically, "Shoujo Ai" is a unique tag that I don't think is interchangeable and if I understand its usage correctly, is the more sexually charged term in Japan. Someone can correct me.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard multiple people say the phrase "shoujo ai" in Japanese has lolicon vibes to it. What I am confident in is that it's not an actual genre name or commonly used tag.

Yes, that is what I've understood as well. Any article about the subject and its usage in Japan has always made that distinction. I know western sites will use Shoujo Ai still, so I imagine that's what that commenter meant but I wanted to clarify that the distinction is largely a western one based on what any authority on the subject has ever said on the issue.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:36PM

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

No worries I don’t mind

You seem to have 0 intelligence or mental faculties anyways

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Yes, that is what I've understood as well. Any article about the subject and its usage in Japan has always made that distinction.

Youre just making stuff up lol, you guys are unhinged

joined Apr 10, 2023

I may not have intelligence or mental faculties but at least I can actually enjoy this comic about gay alt rock girls. If mental faculties means you can't enjoy good art then forget em, I say.

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

I may not have intelligence or mental faculties but at least I can actually enjoy this comic about gay alt rock girls. If mental faculties means you can't enjoy good art then forget em, I say.

This manga is barely gay

That’s the point

joined Sep 10, 2022

The term being corrupted by westerners does not destroy the original intent of shoujo ai . It’s basic research, you can just look at references, read actual articles, consume the manga and content tagged it, etc l. Idk why you guys are over complicating it and trying to tie loli in, it’s pretty dishonest and bad faith

I wasn't discussing anything with you. You're involving yourself in a conversation that wasn't about anything you said. I'll leave it at that. It doesn't feel like there's much to discuss with you anyway.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:41PM

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Yeah good art, same face syndrome harsh lines and green everywhere, it’s such good art , especially when the girls like barely interact in chaps. So gay and Amazin

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

The term being corrupted by westerners does not destroy the original intent of shoujo ai . It’s basic research, you can just look at references, read actual articles, consume the manga and content tagged it, etc l. Idk why you guys are over complicating it and trying to tie loli in, it’s pretty dishonest and bad faith

I wasn't discussing anything with you. You're involving yourself in a conversation that wasn't about anything you said. I'll leave it at that. It doesn't feel like there's much to discuss with you anyway.

It’s an online forum if you want a private convo take it to dms

joined Apr 10, 2023

You can go read Wikipedia and they'll literally tell you the exact same stuff lol. They've even got a bunch of citations and junk, but I'll let our resident brain genius look them up if you don't believe it lol
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/shoujo_ai

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Anyways, gnight yall, beware new readers : is not yuri, and girls are barely in it after late vol 2

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

You can go read Wikipedia and they'll literally tell you the exact same stuff lol. They've even got a bunch of citations and junk, but I'll let our resident brain genius look them up if you don't believe it lol

Someone didn’t read their own wiki page they sent, embarrassing

Do you know what slang means? Did you actually read the sources, the “citations”? What about other articles? Anyways I’ve no desire to continue a debate with a bad faith idiot

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:45PM

joined Sep 10, 2022

That wiki description does discuss Shoujo-AI's connection to underage content, but there are many interesting articles out there about the issue too. Some books as well. Anyway, I just wanted to double-check the usage differences, since they came up in the discussion. Thanks for chiming in.

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:49PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Well now that that's over, we can get back to talking about this gay comic full of gays. Hey y'all remember just like a month ago there was a chapter where Aya said to Mitsuki directly "you are the same person as 'onii-san'", thus telling her to her face that all those feelings of love apply to her? God this comic is good.

To reply you must either login or sign up.